• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

Alphahawk

So in the end, you can only make levels in a single style with its respective physics, or can you still switch styles within finished levels (like it was shown in the very first trailer back at E3 2014)?

It depends on what you are asking.

If you are asking if you can build a level in SMB theme and then decide in the middle of building it that you actually want to make it in SMW style-you can easily switch it.

If you are asking can you change a published level style? You can't do that

Can you make a level that's one part SMB one part SMW/ I don't know but I highly doubt it.

Also has anyone pointed out that you're limited to 10 uploads until you unlock more? I read that over on IGN today and found that interesting.

Doorman

The bouncing on enemies seems too high compared to the original SMB

That's the thing that's been holding me up from saying that each game keeps its own physics. Bouncing off of enemies in the first SMB really didn't give you any sort of height advantage, actually you barely get much liftoff at all. You got enough height to take on those little 3-groups of goombas they'd give you, that's about all. We've already seen in this that you get the jump-boost, even in SMB1-theme, so the physics might be close, but they're not completely exact.

The bouncing on enemies seems too high compared to the original SMB

Maybe Oblivion can clarify, but as someone who has played Lost Levels way too many times, it looks like they're basing the bounce physics off that game. In America it's easy to incorrectly remember SMB 3 as the game where high enemy bounce-jumps were introduced, but SMB2J/Lost Levels was actually the first SMB game where you could gain a lot of air by bouncing off enemies and it's literally the only way to survive in many parts of the game. So it's actually very smart that they went this route for the SMB 1 levels because not only it will put it more in line with the other games, but also because retaining SMB 1's stiffer, much more limited bounce physics wouldn't have been conducive for the player being able to properly design more difficult stages based on jump exploits in the SMB 1 tile set.

I did play The Lost Levels, still it isn't SMB1 :p

Right I hear ya, but like I said, 100% kosher SMB 1 bounce physics probably would not make for always coherent level design sessions, especially for those times when folks will be changing their mind more than once as to which tile set they want to stick with while in the middle of designing a tricky level where bounce timing is required to get from point A to point B. Lost Levels style bouncing inserted into SMB 1 aside, let's just be glad Tezuka apparently changed his mind and we're getting authentic physics for these games instead of that undesirable sounding hybrid physics set he originally wanted to go with.

Roo

That's what I meant. Once the level is finished and uploaded, the style can no longer be changed.

Actually you can. Someone at the Treehouse event said you can download and change the style of the levels.

If you played a SMB level but what to try it using the SMB3 style then you simply need to download that specific level ahd change the settings.

You can't upload that level even if it has a different style tho. It still belongs to the original user.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ehi guys, I tried to search for more infos on 100 Mario challenges, but I can't find anything outside of skins being unlocked by beating them. Anything else?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also I don't see slopes making it in since there's no SMB1 equivalent. But who knows. Either way, they won't put something in if it can't be back ported to each game "engine". So while they can simply create enemies from SMB3 or World that were never in SMB1 with SMB1 styles, something like slopes would just be weird. But who knows. Maybe they'll give in. But don't depend on it.
They're not the original engines so there's nothing stopping them from adding functionality to the SMB style. They've gone as far as as new level themes and music to it so a few graphical tweaks to the ground element isn't that much of an ask.

RWO3o6k.png
7VBpGL7.png

Took me a couple of seconds to make and I'm sure a pro at Nintendo could do a better job but it's just to give an idea of how it could look. As pointed out, it's the only one of the three without them originally so for the other three styles the work is basically already done.

Now as for a sliding sprite, if it was just Mario that wouldn't be too bad, but as we know, the sheer number of NES style Amiibo sprites would make this a much more taxing task. However it really depends on how long it takes them to whip out these bonus sprites. They are after all mostly all originally drawing someone has to make anyway so the sliding graphic would just be one more position to take into account.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They're not the original engines so there's nothing stopping them from adding functionality to the SMB style. They've gone as far as as new level themes and music to it so a few graphical tweaks to the ground element isn't that much of an ask.

RWO3o6k.png
7VBpGL7.png

Took me a couple of seconds to make and I'm sure a pro at Nintendo could do a better job but it's just to give an idea of how it could look. As pointed out, it's the only one of the three without them originally so for the other three styles the work is basically already done.

Now as for a sliding sprite, if it was just Mario that wouldn't be too bad, but as we know, the sheer number of NES style Amiibo sprites would make this a much more taxing task. However it really depends on how long it takes them to whip out these bonus sprites. They are after all mostly all originally drawing someone has to make anyway so the sliding graphic would just be one more position to take into account.

Not that I don't think thwy can implement slopes in the game, but doing so involves much more work than just designing the sprite. I think the more difficult part is finding a way to implement curves that actually makes sense with an editor. They could have a dozen prefab pieces or varying inclines, but tthat's sort of messy. I hope they do implement it, but I think tthe struggle is mostly with how to do it.

BowieZ

Banned
Actually you can. Someone at the Treehouse event said you can download and change the style of the levels.

If you played a SMB level but what to try it using the SMB3 style then you simply need to download that specific level ahd change the settings.

You can't upload that level even if it has a different style tho. It still belongs to the original user.
What would be cool though is a level that has been uploaded, say, with NSMBU art/physics, beatable with wall jumps and propellor mushroom and whatnot, but can also be completed in 3 unique ways using the other three styles (SMW using cape/tossing shells, SMB3 using raccoon, and SMB1 using... Well, I'm sure there's something that can only be accomplished using those physics).

Simbabbad

What would be cool though is a level that has been uploaded, say, with NSMBU art/physics, beatable with wall jumps and propellor mushroom and whatnot, but can also be completed in 3 unique ways using the other three styles (SMW using cape/tossing shells, SMB3 using raccoon, and SMB1 using... Well, I'm sure there's something that can only be accomplished using those physics).
What would be funny is if you could switch through the styles to "solve" different parts of the same level, in the same logic of the Zelda light world/dark world mechanics.

But obviously that'd take away too much the game from what developers want it to achieve, and they're right not to allow that sort of stuff. Sometimes, less is more.

I do hope (and think, from what we've seen) the physics are different, though, even if we can't switch in-game.

JoeM86

RWO3o6k.png
7VBpGL7.png

Haven't they shown that you can rotate the orientation of pipes?

It depends on what you are asking.

If you are asking if you can build a level in SMB theme and then decide in the middle of building it that you actually want to make it in SMW style-you can easily switch it.

If you are asking can you change a published level style? You can't do that

Can you make a level that's one part SMB one part SMW/ I don't know but I highly doubt it.

Also has anyone pointed out that you're limited to 10 uploads until you unlock more? I read that over on IGN today and found that interesting.

Confirmed you cannot. You can change background types after a pipe transition but not game type.

Does anyone know if all of each game's power ups are retained?

zigg

Yes, I missed that, all 10-12 levels. :p
I actually found a printer that could print passable versions of all the unreleased levels to go with the official cards I had for the US levels. I still have those cards I made somewhere—more than I could even fit on the cartridge! So good.

Theorymon

So, are any of you guys hyped enough that you're already planning out some levels?

I'm tempted to just get some graph paper and start drawing out some rough levels, but I wonder if there's a better way to go about this besides "crack out the Lunar Magic" (I'm sadly stuck to a chromebook for the time being lol)

BowieZ

Banned
So, are any of you guys hyped enough that you're already planning out some levels?

I'm tempted to just get some graph paper and start drawing out some rough levels, but I wonder if there's a better way to go about this besides "crack out the Lunar Magic" (I'm sadly stuck to a chromebook for the time being lol)
I would do this if I knew exactly how many blocks were in each level. So far I've only designed a rough outline of my first level.

Gsnap

I've been going over a lot of ideas in my head. No time to sit down on draw anything out though.

On my way to the Best Buy event right now with some friends, whoo!

I have all of the U.S. SMB 3 eReader level cards including the rare Walmart only promo card "Airship's Revenge," some pics below. The extra levels are awesome and were worth every penny to track down. The cards are also fun for when you want to experiment with spamming rare items like Tanooki and Hammer suits, you can also activate SMB2 turnips to throw. Some day I will finally print out the reader codes for the import only stages Zigg is referring to. The only card that is still not up is a short speed/no damage level which was only released at a certain comic/manga store in Japan. I read the homebrew community still hasn't been able to track it down. Anyways, here are my cards:

Walmart only pack with Airship's Revenge level card:

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully they include enough pre-made levels to form a completely new Mario game and basically make this feel like a NEW NEW Super Mario Bros. that just happens to include an amazing level editor. And give some select people early access to the game so they can fill up the online section with enough custom levels to keep you busy for years.

Also, I hope they rethink putting the Koopa Kids in the game. Let us use other bosses. Switch between Bowser, Bowser Jr., Wart and the Koopa Kids at least.

Do Goombas in the SMW theme use the style they had in the original where they're more chestnut shaped instead of mushroom?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haven't they shown that you can rotate the orientation of pipes?
I've only seen them rotated by 90°. Nothing fancy like the different angled pipes in the NSMB games.

Thinking about it, I don't recall seeing different coloured pipes. Did no one think to shake them?

Roo

I really hope we get different "ground styles" by shaking them in the rest of the game.
It would be a shame if they keep them NSMBU exclusive.

kzYHz8E.jpg

Just got back from the Best Buy event, the game is as amazing as it looks. I mainly played the Airship Junior stage (all of the levels are preloaded and are the same stages as the E3 demo videos being posted). They let us play with the editor so I added a fire flower at the beginning and a few extra enemies. After that, I then switched the style from SMW to SMB 3 seamlessly and began playing the same level with SMB 3 graphics (the high res sprites look absolutely gorgeous).

I then used the fire flower to kill the extra enemies I added into the stage, then I took out Bowser Jr and tried to get to the goal but failed after getting slowed down by a maze of Bills and fire wheels. My brothers in law both came with me and had a blast too. One of them repeatedly tried to land through the spike hole in the "Leap of Fath" SMB 1 stage. Everyone was cheering and laughing, great atmosphere. As if this game wasn't already a day 1 purchase.

Also, I asked one of the reps if you can change Yoshi from 16-bit to an 8-bit version and (grain of salt) she said someone tried but when they switched it to SMB 3, (her words): "...instead of riding Yoshi the player then changed into Raccoon Mario. So if you have Yoshi and switch to an older style the game changes him to something else." She also said they don't know yet if there will be DLC.

jariw

I really hope we get different "ground styles" by shaking them in the rest of the game.
It would be a shame if they keep them NSMBU exclusive.

kzYHz8E.jpg

They showed how different ground styles looked in the SMW mode on the Treehouse Live (day 2 segment, a couple of minutes in).

I just had an amazing idea for a course. You start off and it looks like the goal is in sight right off the bat. You run for it- There's an invisible wall that makes it impossible to run straight for the goal. The entire goal is actually boxed off by invisible blocks, and the only way to actually reach it is through a warp pipe to the right of the goal that you can't see until you climb to the top of the box (probably through wall jumping) and move forward. As you move beyond the box, there are all sorts of tricky platforming challeneges, and of course a warp pipe to the second part of the level that you have to tackle

Can anyone confirm if the specialty suits are in the game, like Hammer Bros? I sort of want to make a level in which you can choose either Fire Mario or Hammer Mario, then you'll need to get a cloud from a Lakitu and proceed through an auto-scrolling level in which you need to go from cloud to cloud while using your weapon of choice to navigate.

BowieZ

Banned
I just had an amazing idea for a course. You start off and it looks like the goal is in sight right off the bat. You run for it- There's an invisible wall that makes it impossible to run straight for the goal. The entire goal is actually boxed off by invisible blocks, and the only way to actually reach it is through a warp pipe to the right of the goal that you can't see until you climb to the top of the box (probably through wall jumping) and move forward. As you move beyond the box, there are all sorts of tricky platforming challeneges, and of course a warp pipe to the second part of the level that you have to tackle
Don't forget though (I assume you haven't) that invisible blocks only blockade you from below. So you'd need to create a little two-square bottomless pit or something, where you'd need to jump to get through.

Roo

They showed how different ground styles looked in the SMW mode on the Treehouse Live (day 2 segment, a couple of minutes in).

Oh my God, you're right.
Oddly enough, I didn't watch that specific video. Weird.
Thank God. Stuff like this will prevent the game from feeling too repetitive.

Maybe it's just me but today I saw people playing this and the old levels look pretty good in HD.

Kinda makes you want to play those older games with an HD remake.

It looked great

Don't forget though (I assume you haven't) that invisible blocks only blockade you from below. So you'd need to create a little two-square bottomless pit or something, where you'd need to jump to get through.

Yeah, I realized afterward. It probably wouldn't work unless I could find a way to get the stage to trigger the blocks

RagnarokX

Oh my God, you're right.
Oddly enough, I didn't watch that specific video. Weird.
Thank God. Stuff like this will prevent the game from feeling too repetitive.

Those aren't ground styles. They're... I don't know an exact term for them. They are platforms with background below them. You can walk through the sides of them and walk on top of them. They change based on the style and theme.

Here they are in SMW:
lSNNXZt.jpg

In the airship theme they become an airship wall, wooden crates, and cargo netting. In the underwater theme one of them is a sunken ship wall.

Roo

Those aren't ground styles. They're... I don't know an exact term for them. They are platforms with background below them. You can walk through the sides of them and walk on top of them. They change based on the style and theme.

Here they are in SMW:
lSNNXZt.jpg

In the airship theme they become an airship wall, wooden crates, and cargo netting. In the underwater theme one of them is a sunken ship wall.

Whatever they are, they give more personality to each level :p
btw, do you have a link for those you mentioned? airship and such?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The middle style (the ground in a darker shade of brown) looks weird with the rounded off corners on the bottom. Makes it look disconnected. In the original those corners were straight.

It still feels lacking to me. Unless there's more in the actual game. The fact that of the six backgrounds three are specialty ones (castle, air ship and ghost house) really sucks. There should at least be two more.

Then there is the fact that there is only one exclusive powerup per later game, Racoon Mario, Cape Mario and Propeller Mario. NSMBU in particular have some really interesting powerups with Squirrel Mario, Penguin Mario and Mini Mario that would radically change how levels could be designed.

These are two glaring weaknesses to me. It feels like they are almost limiting variety so the actual games don't become redundant. Which is unnecessary because there's multiplayer and no way to create full games.

hatchx

Banned
It still feels lacking to me. Unless there's more in the actual game. The fact that of the six backgrounds three are specialty ones (castle, air ship and ghost house) really sucks. There should at least be two more.

Then there is the fact that there is only one exclusive powerup per later game, Racoon Mario, Cape Mario and Propeller Mario. NSMBU in particular have some really interesting powerups with Squirrel Mario, Penguin Mario and Mini Mario that would radically change how levels could be designed.

Do we have confirmations of all the power ups and level themes?

Roo

These are two glaring weaknesses to me. It feels like they are almost limiting variety so the actual games don't become redundant. Which is unnecessary because there's multiplayer and no way to create full games.
Alison Rapp said they still have quite a few things secret that we won't know until launch.
I'm not really expecting anything major at this point but who knows, maybe there are a few surprises here and there.
More themes and powerups seem obvious to me

I wish the selection of powerups were bigger but I'm not really concerned about it.

Plus there's always DLC :p

Shiggy

Why doesn't this game have multiplayer?

Simbabbad

Why doesn't this game have multiplayer?
Because levels have to be specifically designed for multiplayer, you can't turn solo levels into multiplayer levels just like this, many solo levels (most, in fact) we've seen would be unsolvable in multiplayer.

To make multiplayer work, the game would have to require the author to beat his own level with 4 players. It's completely unreasonable, so multiplayer is out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Because levels have to be specifically designed for multiplayer, you can't turn solo levels into multiplayer levels just like this, many solo levels (most, in fact) we've seen would be unsolvable in multiplayer.

To make multiplayer work, the game would have to require the author to beat his own level with 4 players. It's completely unreasonable, so multiplayer is out.
Good answer, I didn't think about it.

Do we have confirmations of all the power ups and level themes?

Alison Rapp said they still have quite a few things secret that we won't know until launch.
I'm not really expecting anything major at this point but who knows, maybe there are a few surprises here and there.
More themes and powerups seem obvious to me

I wish the selection of powerups were bigger but I'm not really concerned about it.

Plus there's always DLC :p

Screenshots from the Treehouse stream:

That looks like a complete UI to me. Anymore assets and they would have to add a scroll bar to see everything which I bet Nintendo hates.

I didn't take screenshots of them but you see where the Super Leaf and Mystery Mushroom are? That's where Racoon Mario and Propeller Mario are as well.

It's clear they wanted assets to be equal across styles which limits both 3 and U with their additional powerups.

This sucks because Mario to me is defined by the powerups. It's a big reason why I loved the Galaxy games so much. Imagine the possibilities with Penguin Mario (freezes enemies, doesn't slip on ice, belly slide and improved swimming) or mini Mario (Walk on water, faster and jump higher).

As for backgrounds you can see the space was built with those six in mind. I wouldn't mind so much except once again three are special levels. Why would you have Ghost Houses and Airships before desert and ice levels?

Maybe you can alter some powerups by shaking them?

Doubtful. Even the altered objects that are shaken still carry over across styles in their altered form. I'm guessing that's how Bowser Jr. is made, a shaken Bowser.

There's no equivalence in the original and World. The mystery mushroom is the replacement for the later games extra powerup.

Top Bottom