• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

JoeM86

I've only seen them rotated by 90°. Nothing fancy like the different angled pipes in the NSMB games.

Thinking about it, I don't recall seeing different coloured pipes. Did no one think to shake them?

Could have sworn I've seen them at 45

I just realized...

The Sonic Amiibo. Sonic in a Mario platformer.

I NEED THIS!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4155-1386096821-0.gif

In typical Mario reveal cycle fashion, last year when all they showed was the SMB 1 & U themes, the game was called "vanilla" or bare bones, "This should only be an eShop title," ect. Now a year later and not only do we get SMB 1, 3, SMW & U tile sets, the game has 4 themes to choose from (including Airship and Ghost House), loads of extra elements and Tezuka even changed his mind about merging the physics (thank goodness). Like a lot of new Mario titles, this game has gone through a ton of positive changes since its first reveal so I'm not giving up hope yet about extra power ups. I'd be surprised if Tanooki, Hammer, Squirrel, and Penguin don't make it in at some point, if not through DLC. If not, it will still be an amazing creation game.

Edit: I too would like to see slopes added and maybe a few more exotic enemies like Dino Rhinos and it'd be sweet to be able to make a SMW fortress with Reznors as the end boss.

Surprisingly, it seems so!

Thanks, could you possibly shoot the link when you have a chance?

That looks insanely fun. And hopefully no Kaizo Mario thing because of this :
Also Nintendo deserves props for this - you can't upload a level until you finish it.
Just like Pushmo.

So was it confirmed each Mario Theme used its original game physics ? Because if so, that would be awesome.

Simbabbad

So was it confirmed each Mario Theme used its original game physics ? Because if so, that would be awesome.
From what I know it's still debated (here).

Apparently, the latest analysis/conjecture/feedback would suggest they're party aligned (full speed and full height jumps follow the same curve), but keep specific particularities (in-air manoeuvrability, etc). Which would make sense given the goal of Super Mario Maker.

I do find it interesting that Kuribo's Shoe in the first two styles is the equivalent to Yoshi's egg in the last two.

They're probably the closest but Kuribo's Shoe standard form comes with an enemy using it.

Now this is intriguing, the red "face" doors from SMB 2 are seen being used in this SMB 3 Airship stage:

http://youtu.be/s0MVGUw5WmE

I really hope that by the time the game ships you can use Yoshi across all four tile sets. You'd think Miyamoto and Tezuka would want that included as an option since a very primitive form of Yoshi was originally going to be in SMB 1:

150px-Yoshi_concept.png

I mean if fans can do stuff like this...

RETRO-SMB3MIX-3.png

Roo

Now this is intriguing, the red "face" doors from SMB 2 are seen being used in this SMB 3 Airship stage:

I really hope that by the time the game ships you can use Yoshi across all four tile sets. You'd think Miyamoto and Tezuka would want that included as an option since a very primitive form of Yoshi was originally going to be in SMB 1:

150px-Yoshi_concept.png

RETRO-SMB3MIX-3.png

They can even use a slightly modified sprite from the Yoshi Amiibo

RagnarokX

150px-Yoshi_concept.png

RETRO-SMB3MIX-3.png

I believe those doors are in both the SMB and SMB3 styles. They also used a modified Baby Bowser sprite from Yoshi's Island as Bowser Jr in SMW style. Looks really wrong. Don't remember what video I saw that in...

It makes sense that kuribo's shoe replaces yoshi in the older games. It is essentially a proto-Yoshi. It has the same abilities except for the tongue.

I believe those doors are in both the SMB and SMB3 styles. They also used a modified Baby Bowser sprite from Yoshi's Island as Bowser Jr in SMW style. Looks really wrong. Don't remember what video I saw that in...

It makes sense that kuribo's shoe replaces yoshi in the older games. It is essentially a proto-Yoshi. It has the same abilities except for the tongue.

Interesting, never thought of that.

Dimentios

1. Vertical Levels confirmed yet? These were common in Super Mario World.
2. Doors only lead to the same overworld, and pipes to another overworld? In other words, level like the one with the pipe maze in SMB3 are not possible?

2. Doors only lead to the same overworld, and pipes to another overworld? In other words, level like the one with the pipe maze in SMB3 are not possible?

I'd be really surprised if they weren't possible, though honestly, couldn't vertical levels simply be done by making it impossible to progress past a certain point? I'm fairly certain that the levels are very tall, which is likely meant (in part) to accommodate those kinds of levels.

I'd be really surprised if they weren't possible, though honestly, couldn't vertical levels simply be done by making it impossible to progress past a certain point? I'm fairly certain that the levels are very tall, which is likely meant (in part) to accommodate those kinds of levels.

That's what the bean stalk is for I'm affraid

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I don't think purely vertical levels are possible, since I think the map goes something like 3 to 4 screens tall

RagnarokX

1. Vertical levels were not very common in SMW. Only 10 were taller than what you can make in this game. Unfortunately we won't be able to make the towers from the NSMB games.

2. As far as we know, this is correct.

I think you could do something like this:

And connect the different pieces (A-C) with pipes or doors.
That's what I planned to do:

YZ8314l.png

Bulbasaur

Banned
1. Vertical levels were not very common in SMW. Only 10 were taller than what you can make in this game. Unfortunately we won't be able to make the towers from the NSMB games.

YZ8314l.png

Man I loved that level! It actually felt like you were scaling the castle.

BBboy20

They kinda had to release it as they are, since it's just two days before the 30th anniversary of the game.
...Oh.

Also, I asked one of the reps if you can change Yoshi from 16-bit to an 8-bit version and (grain of salt) she said someone tried but when they switched it to SMB 3, (her words): "...instead of riding Yoshi the player then changed into Raccoon Mario. So if you have Yoshi and switch to an older style the game changes him to something else." She also said they don't know yet if there will be DLC.
Surprised they didn't retro grade him like they did with other enemies.

Dimentios

Control over the music would be great and independent from the chosen background like playing the castle theme in an underwater passage. It has been done in the original games.

Btw, has banzai bill been spotted yet?

Mik2121

Nintendo needs to releasing this tomorrow, not in like 3 months and a half!

Would love to share stuff with other GAF members. I'm not a fan of the stupidly impossible levels but rather more well designed levels like what Nintendo themselves do. Hopefully you guys will be making that sort of levels!

Control over the music would be great and independent from the chosen background like playing the castle theme in an underwater passage. It has been done in the original games.

Btw, has banzai bill been spotted yet?
During the NWC we saw red Bullet Bills following Mario everywhere, I guess that in SMW style they could be Banzai Bills.

Roo

YZ8314l.png
Man, right in the nostalgia :(
I think I'll play all 4 games before Mario Maker releases :D

AniHawk

i'm looking forward to the initial stages being stupidly hard and then more thoughtful design coming in later for some really fun stuff once people have that out of their system. and by that i mean good conceptual levels. i already have a couple in mind for some hard ones, but there's also a conceptual one that's more puzzle based i want to try too.

Nanashrew

Banned
i'm looking forward to the initial stages being stupidly hard and then more thoughtful design coming in later for some really fun stuff once people have that out of their system. and by that i mean good conceptual levels. i already have a couple in mind for some hard ones, but there's also a conceptual one that's more puzzle based i want to try too.

I can't wait for world 1-1!

I'll probably make remixed versions of classic levels myself though. Just to get a good grasp and it's a nice quick starting point. Watching some NSMB Wii LP right now and I'm getting all sorts of ideas with the track system with moving platforms and blocks with few safe spots.

Understanding the thoughts and flow, and why each thing is placed where for the player in a pre-made stage is one thing but actually creating one yourself is another, and I couldn't be more excited for that. I'm eager to create and learn because I've always wanted to make a 2D platformer but I've never had the programming skills or toolsets required to do such a thing.

Dimentios

Mario Allstars Theme for SB1 and SB3 would be no problem to develop (90 % of the assets are there) and there is so much space left on the overworld menu. Make it happen, Nintendo.

clav

The power-up scheme is wrong, too.

You can't go from Mario to Fire Mario (or Raccoon Mario) unless you were Super Mario prior to the transformation.

In the old games, Mario only goes to Super Mario if you try to power up as Mario with a Fire Flower or Leaf.

If I remember correctly, the power-up transformation was fixed in Super Mario World, but this game is supposed to retain the classics, right?

Also, I'm pretty certain that we now know that Miyamoto considered SMB2 the true sequel, based on his comments about wanting to make a Mario game that had a lot of vertical ascension.

I haven't kept up with this game much but will we be able to use an overworld and group levels together to essentially create our own mario games? That would make this a killer app.

clav

Are there any autoscrolling levels?

Kind of disappointed to hear the SMB3 airship music but the level doesn't try to crush the player.

Apparently yes from what someone said in the thread, three speed levels available.

The terror if speed level three is like that one airship stage from World 8 of SMB3.

Hmm, I wonder how horrifying a fast scrolling water stage would be, seems like the kind of thing that would straight up need a Frog or Penguin suit.....
Wait, where is the darn Penguin Suit?! pre order cancelled.

I'll ask again: does anybody know if we can group together levels on an overworld and create our own Mario games? I've done a little searching on google and can't find a definitive answer.

flux1

Has there been any sign of the berries from SMW in game yet? I had an idea for a stage that starts with 10 seconds on the clock and you have to get Yoshi to eat green berries to get enough time to complete it.

Mik2121

I'll ask again: does anybody know if we can group together levels on an overworld and create our own Mario games? I've done a little searching on google and can't find a definitive answer.

I don't think there's an overworld, at least not for now. I would like to see the possibility of releasing bundled levels to create some sort of story arc... even though there's probably no way to put any sort of story in these levels, at least as far as I know :p (and that might be a good thing!)

Top Bottom