• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

The terror if speed level three is like that one airship stage from World 8 of SMB3.

Hmm, I wonder how horrifying a fast scrolling water stage would be

YES! I like the way you think. Make an autoscrolling water stage at that speed, then have one of those giant fish chasing you the whole time. Then make the entire environment electric enemies.

Yes, I am a masochist.

Boney

Banned
Pretty Cool that Parish had the insight to sneak in the question regarding SMB2. It's a pretty obvious answer but it allows Tanabe and us readers to reflect on the game, what does it mean in the overall Mario series and how it is recieved.

Wonder how a SMB2 2 would be like.

I'll ask again: does anybody know if we can group together levels on an overworld and create our own Mario games? I've done a little searching on google and can't find a definitive answer.
Nope

Pretty Cool that Parish had the insight to sneak in the question regarding SMB2. It's a pretty obvious answer but it allows Tanabe and us readers to reflect on the game, what does it mean in the overall Mario series and how it is recieved.

Wonder how a SMB2 2 would be like.

Nope

Ultimately, I fear that this will be the one sorta big flaw with the game. Hopefully they release it as free DLC later.

Tgk6Ylv.gif

I want this game so much and I can't wait to see levels that look like they could've been made by Nintendo. We saw a good bit from E3, but most of those levels didn't feel like they would fit within that game.

Enemies and objects that would usually be in a ghost house or underground stage and some random ice thrown in. Stages that are set to a theme, come across a lot better to me.

I also realized that other than the night levels, it looks like there is still quite a bit of level themes we haven't seen in this yet.

I really like these levels from Super Mario World.

super+mario+world+-+chocolate+island+2.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Forest1.PNG

This game will probably get dc for these themes and for slopes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Probably music selection.
Wouldn't be surprised. In Mario Paint, the frog represented the original SMB overworld theme with a bird beak representing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and a mushroom being an original creation. But who knows what music they'll let us choose between in this game.

Are mystery mushrooms also available in World and New designs?

Edit: Damn, looks like the forest image was removed from my previous post. I don't understand why that happens.

Nanashrew

Banned
If you ever played World 9 in Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, they have some ideas that some people haven't ever seen.

Fantasy World

https://youtu.be/jeQAsUI2deY?t=5m53s

Gonna watch this! Last night I watched all of SMB3 and realized how very experimental it was in level design compared to other Mario games. I should replay Mario 3.

--

Also Gamexplain has an interview with Tezuka and Oshino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1IOOiuoZ8

Apparently more Mario Maker news through the summer.

EDIT: Beaten.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
GameXplain did a video interview with Takashi Tezuka & Yosuke Oshino

- No DLC Planned.

- Nintendo might put up their own levels in the future.

- You can't download and edit a level, then put it up again as your own.

- More surprises in store!
I think this is the first time I've ever heard "No DLC planned" and not been happy. What a kick in tbe balls. This has so much potential for DLC. I'll be very disappointed if the base game is all we get.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard "No DLC planned" and not been happy. What a kick in tbe balls. This has so much potential for DLC. I'll be very disappointed if the base game is all we get.

Me too, but it can be changed in the future. I want more themes, additional objects and enemies, but most importantly I want a Yoshi's Island maker.

Nanashrew

Banned

Well, the full quote is "not right now" but yeah, I'd like to see DLC for this game too. It's the kind that really benefits from it by providing the userbase with more user creation tools for more cool levels.

MouldyK

Well they say no plans, so you never know.

Maybe if we plead and it sells well, they might change their mind.

clav

Well, the full quote is "not right now" but yeah, I'd like to see DLC for this game too. It's the kind that really benefits from it by providing the userbase with more user creation tools for more cool levels.

Wouldn't releasing more assets potentially cannibalize efforts for future 2D Mario games?

terrisus

This is pretty much the game of the Millennium to me.

Had so much fun with Mario editors on Texas Instruments graphing calculators.
And this is going to be that, but about 1000 times better.

Roo

To be honest, Sakurai said exactly the same about Smash.
Konno said exactly the same about Mario Kart 8

Look where we are now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
ULTRA MEGA IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Can you play as Luigi?
FUCK. THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION!

And I haven't seen any evidence of it. 😞

Fuck it. Let us play as any of the four characters. It's not like there's a princess kidnapping story or anything. Would make things so much bigger. And they could put in a "character swap" block that changes you to a different character. The possibilities would quadruple if we were given that option.

FUCK. THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION!

And I haven't seen any evidence of it. 😞

Fuck it. Let us play as any of the four characters. It's not like there's a princess kidnapping story or anything. Would make things so much bigger. And they could put in a "character swap" block that changes you to a different character. The possibilities would quadruple if we were given that option.

You're making me tingle right now, but I don't think we'll get all four unless they add a SMB2 editor.

woopWOOP

I remember reading about some ingame details pointing towards the ability to upload level packs of 4 levels or so. Was this ever confirmed?

Also I was thinking of making a SMB style Icecap Zone, but it's not the same without the background water at the bottom of the stage.

ULTRA MEGA IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Can you play as Luigi?

Wouldn't releasing more assets potentially cannibalize efforts for future 2D Mario games?

Yeah I want more DLC as well. For me it's mainly missing powerups from SMB3 and NSMBU. The NSMBU especially would offer radical gameplay changes. As well as at least a desert and ice background.

I understand they need to see future Mario games so I get why multiplayer and the ability to freely play as other characters has been. These aren't essential to gameplay. As our limited backgrounds.

Collections of levels aren't really either as the doesn't affect gameplay within levels.

Remember that you every individual can only upload ten levels. If your levels are rated highly you can upload more levels. Tezuka said the max was a lot.

I like this because instead of a bunch of any which idea being uploaded only people's best will.

I can see DLC for Mario Maker becoming a bit messy unless it's either completely free or levels with DLC assets can be played by anyone. Specific items/geography/themes/enemies could just end up fragmenting the selection of levels. Another way is that they release only 2 or 3 packs at most.

Besides, we still don't know all of the features included. You might as well wait until release unless something has been officially confirmed to not be in the game.

You're all crazy to beg for DLC before even a game release.
You've not been a PC gamer in 90s I guess? The game already looks good! But it could be so much better! Delaying it doesn't make sense, it's already good! Expansion pack DLC sounds like a good idea then!

Kouriozan

Awesome. But why is the music in the maker itself sooo much better than while playing the level? Q.Q

Didn't know the item-bars were customizable, so the last row must indeed be something else?
Indeed, the remixes sounds amazing, who know, maybe the frog icon can change the music like in Mario Paint (it wasn't in the E3 build, probably for a surprise reveal or something)

clav

Don't know if it was posted earlier, but I found a level with Peach costume.

Here at 1:42.

SMB2 USA sound and victory tune.

Edit : and Ghost house theme for SMB3 (new music obviously) and the little we can hear for SMB 1 sounds great as well.

http://youtu.be/HavOMKYuvTQ

Hm. I wonder why Nintendo didn't keep the design of singular scrolling for classic Super Mario.

Don't like you can go backwards in a level if it's supposed to remain true to the classics.

Top Bottom