• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker level design layouts and ideas

McNum

I wonder if you can put a helmet on a boss. Bowser Jr. is weak to head stomps, which kind of lets him take the role as a Koopa Kid style boss, but what if you could give him a spiked helmet? Of course, with enemy stacking, you can just put a Spiny on his head, I suppose. Jump on THAT, Mario.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Can you change how many fireball hits an enemy takes to die? Like if I wanted to make a Venus Flytrap boss?

I know they were going for super simplicity with this game and just a simple drag and drop interface, but I think it's a missed opportunity that you can't tweak variables like that. I wish you could just have a LBP like tweak menu for objects so you could input numbers for things. Like the speed of a moving platform for example.

Now this is a difficult issue to address that barely anyone seem to remember.

Was this a problem for any other game with huge ammounts of customization and sharing (such as LBP)?

I don't think it usually is, because users aren't selling the levels they create. And if they misuse copyright etc. it's not the host's responsibility. Oftentimes the host will offer to remove the content if anyone complains though...and usually the copyright holder doesn't bother to complain when it's so self-contained.

For example I'm sure there are tons of Mario and Sonic and Minecraft and whatever levels in LBP, and every other game with custom content. Copyright holders can't fight them all and often it's just free advertising or a representation of their own popularity.

Nintendo tends to err on the side of caution, though.

B_Bech

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a few unique ideas. Here's what I came up with thus far:

• E Gad's Latest Invention
    Style: SMW
    Theme: Plains

This course will start out with Mario going through the course easily-- or so it seems. On his way to the goal he'll encounter a few harmless enemies, some minor dips and easily avoidable gaps. The twist will come at the end... when you come to a wall. I'll leave a MiiVerse post saying, "Ho ho ho... greetings Mario. I fear you cannot pass here at your current size, my boy! Go back to the start and try my Pipedown 3000. Careful though. You may find afterwards getting to the end is no small order! Hyuk hyuk. -E GAD"

So you then return to the start, hitting an invisible block (I'll have some way of telling the player, I haven't figured it out yet. (Probably coins and a cloud path leading to an arrow) Inside it contains a P block which will open up a passage in the bottom that leads to a piranha plant that leads up to a pipe. Upon entering the pipe, you come out to a subworld that is nearly identical... only much larger. The enemies are huge and the gaps are now bottomless in addition to being much harder to make. The end leads to a wall with a narrow path that only small mario can pass through (to make it look like a microscopic path you couldn't see before.) Once you get to the end, I'll add a contraption that makes you large and sends you back to the main goal so you can finish.

• UP, UP, DOWN
    Style: SMB
    Theme: Plains

This course will be much easier to explain... It's two identical subworlds only one is upside down. There's going to be some sort of puzzle solving mechanic involving power ups, with doors going back and forth to each world. You need to keep going back and forth to get to the end. Oh, and I should mention I'll be utilizing the Wii Fit Trainer Mystery mushroom.

• Bowser's Inside Story
    Style: SMB3?
    Theme: Castle + Underground

This one will start out with you being "eaten" by a Bowser sprite art. The world it leads to will look like the King Koopa's innards using various bone tiles and the like. I might make it an underwater stage or an underground stage in Mario 3 style. I'll have to play around with the tools to see what looks best. The end will be you coming out the "bottom" of Bowser. I plan to use the heartbeat SFX when you are in/on his heart.

• Trial by Fire
    Style: NSMBU
    Theme: Castle

This one will be a bit mean, unfortunately, but it should be a decent test of skill for the player. I'm going to place a lone Fire Flower sitting innocently at the start. The whole level will be quite tough (but fair) with all the enemies being dry bones--thusly rendering fireballs useless. I'll riddle the stage with fire jets as well, to supposedly explain the name. The point is to make you forget about the Fire Flower, and contain plenty of mushroom power ups. Due to the difficulty, most players will take the hits and try to run through the course as fast as possible. It's going to be as long, too. The catch? At the end you are blocked by a line of piranha plants along a narrow corridor... only able to pass with fire power. I'm sure the player will groan at this point. (I may even draw a fire flower with coins and an arrow) So then you restart and attempt to do the course again... only this time never getting hit!

I feel bad making such a hard level, but I believe players will appreciate the idea enough to stick through to the end.

The only problem with some of these levels for me are, once I see the level, I personally don't have motivation to do something challenging like carry a shell the entire way or hold onto a powerup. I can't recall Nintendo ever doing a level like that but in a game like this where I have a crazy amount of levels to play, well, I think if I see the goal and I'm supposed to go back to the beginning I'd probably consider that enough and move on.

But that's just me. I rarely play challenging things. :p

Thud

The only problem with some of these levels for me are, once I see the level, I personally don't have motivation to do something challenging like carry a shell the entire way or hold onto a powerup. I can't recall Nintendo ever doing a level like that but in a game like this where I have a crazy amount of levels to play, well, I think if I see the goal and I'm supposed to go back to the beginning I'd probably consider that enough and move on.

There actually was a NSMBU level where you have to follow the shell.

McNum

Heh, I was writing out a plan for an airship level, and then I realized i was using that four step level design intuitively.

I want the player to need to use a Bob-Omb to break an ice wall to move one after a Bowser Jr. fight. So, I need to drill in one simple fact: "Bob-Ombs break ice walls." And then I started planning that.

1. Introduction: As Mario enters the sublevel, a pre-activated Bob-Omb will detonate at a safe distance and destroy an ice wall. One block will remain so the player can see what it was.
2. Test: Mario needs to use a Bob-Omb to break an ice floor to access the Bowser Jr. fight.
3. Twist: To escape the Bowser Jr. boss room, Mario must use the Bob-Omb cannon in the room to blow up an ice wall. This is difficult when Bowser Jr. is still in play, and Mario may need to defeat him first (but if he can get by without doing so, then I'm okay with that).
4. Finish: As Mario re-enters the main world, he will see a lone Bob-Omb on an ice platform near the flagpole. To get the 1-Up, Mario must jump on the Bob-Omb and use the bounce to reach the top. If it blows up before he can do that, the 1-Up opportunity is gone.

I think this could work out just fine. Add some Goombas to taste to keep Mario honest, and to show when a passage is available off the top of the screen, perhaps.

This will likely be my third level or something. I want to get a feel for the tools first, though. I need to figure out what to do with the first half, anyway. Autoscroll or not...?

speaking of which: in the most recent IGN Live thing (another 2h) Jose made a level with just 100 seconds and overshot the timer while tapping to lower the limit so he went to 90 before correcting to 100. So that confirms you can go below 100 seconds. Still no final word (that I've seen) on going over 500 though.

You can go down to ten seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjXMXuEE5Y

This guy loses because he keeps jumping at the end lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
  • Bowser's Inside Story
    Style: SMB3?
    Theme: Castle + Underground

This one will start out with you being "eaten" by a Bowser sprite art. The world it leads to will look like the King Koopa's innards using various bone tiles and the like. I might make it an underwater stage or an underground stage in Mario 3 style. I'll have to play around with the tools to see what looks best. The end will be you coming out the "bottom" of Bowser. I plan to use the heartbeat SFX when you are in/on his heart.

Years ago, we had a contest on GAF for custom made Super Mario World levels: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334402
Back then, I submitted one based on the same concept and named SWALLOWED!

SHkMiSG.gif

It had a few nice ideas, so I'd love to remake it in SMM should I find some time. It would need some heavy editing though.

Simbabbad

Follow that shell

They give you multiple koopas tho and the star coins are a bit tricky. The real fun is getting all those 1-UPS.
The gameplay is a lot more direct and forgiving and fun than what this poster talked about, though:

Fishlake

I saw on YouTube some great ideas for a Binding of Issac style level. You could get really creative with doors and similar looking rooms as well.

That Donkey Kong level also looks really nice.

RagnarokX

So Jocchan tipped me off to this really cool game map-making program called Tiled.

GLRiVg0.png

It will be really nifty for planning out levels on your computer.

Save this tileset I made somewhere on your computer:
LjgVX14.png

It's every object in the game for the SMB1 ground theme minus the giant versions of enemies. I made some of the sprites that are unique to SMM like wiggler and Bowser Jr and borrowed some other from other games.

Open the program. Go to new or file > new to start a new map. Change the tile size setting for both width and height to 16px. The maximum size for a map in SMM is 257x28 tiles, so input those numbers in map size. You can make smaller maps if you want. The starting point of a map is 5 tiles wide and the end point is 12 tiles wide. Submaps can be as big as the main map minus the 17x28 tiles for the start and goal.

Once your map opens you can click on the background color option in the map properties list on the left to change it to whatever you want.

Now click on "map" at the top and click "new tileset". Click browse and open up the Mario Maker tileset from wherever you saved it.

You can now paint tiles onto the map just like in SMM. For sprites bigger than 1 tile you'll have to paint in each of their pieces, but since they snap to the grid it's no hassle. You can click view -> show grid to display the grid to give you a better idea of where it is. The program supports layers, so make multiple layers by just right clicking in the layers box and adding another. Use this to put tiles on top of other tiles.

The stamp tool lets you paint tiles tile by tile. The fill tool lets you fill an entire space with your selected tile. Use rectangular select to select a space to fill or to select a set of tiles you want to copy and paste.

That tileset should suffice for all planning needs. All of those objects have an equivalen in the other themes, so just use your imagination if you want to make a castle or underwater level with this.

When you are done with your map you can save it as an image like this:
kRB3Um0.png

(I cropped the rest of the map off)

Enjoy! :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pretty cool, but with the game almost here I feel I'll wait for it and experiment before I start planning out full levels.

Went back to Luigi U this weekend. It's a good inspiration for short levels based around a tricky gimmick while being fair. Though it also highlights just how much the NEW games added to the series.

KeRaSh

So Jocchan tipped me off to this really cool game map-making program called Tiled.

GLRiVg0.png

LjgVX14.png

It's every object in the game for the SMB1 ground theme minus the giant versions of enemies. I made some of the sprites that are unique to SMM like wiggler and Bowser Jr and borrowed some other from other games.

Open the program. Go to new or file > new to start a new map. Change the tile size setting for both width and height to 16px. The maximum size for a map in SMM is 257x28 tiles, so input those numbers in map size. You can make smaller maps if you want. The starting point of a map is 5 tiles wide and the end point is 12 tiles wide. Submaps can be as big as the main map minus the 17x28 tiles for the start and goal.

Once your map opens you can click on the background color option in the map properties list on the left to change it to whatever you want.

Now click on "map" at the top and click "new tileset". Click browse and open up the Mario Maker tileset from wherever you saved it.

You can now paint tiles onto the map just like in SMM. For sprites bigger than 1 tile you'll have to paint in each of their pieces, but since they snap to the grid it's no hassle. You can click view -> show grid to display the grid to give you a better idea of where it is. The program supports layers, so make multiple layers by just right clicking in the layers box and adding another. Use this to put tiles on top of other tiles.

The stamp tool lets you paint tiles tile by tile. The fill tool lets you fill an entire space with your selected tile. Use rectangular select to select a space to fill or to select a set of tiles you want to copy and paste.

That tileset should suffice for all planning needs. All of those objects have an equivalen in the other themes, so just use your imagination if you want to make a castle or underwater level with this.

kRB3Um0.png

Thanks! I was looking at SMBX earlier today and while it seems really powerful, I struggled to really get the hang of it. It was a little bit too much for simple sketching so this is perfect.

Robin64

I think I'll wait to play with the game before planning levels, too. I mean, half the point is that you can dive right in and test an idea, right? See how far a jump can be, that sort of thing. So even if you plan strictly right now, you might find it doesn't feel right when you get the game and have to go back to the drawing board.

KeRaSh

I think I'll wait to play with the game before planning levels, too. I mean, half the point is that you can dive right in and test an idea, right? See how far a jump can be, that sort of thing. So even if you plan strictly right now, you might find it doesn't feel right when you get the game and have to go back to the drawing board.

Finetuning will obviously be done once the game comes out but I'd like to play around with some layouts before the game comes out because I know without any brainstorming I'll be staring at the screen trying to come up with something good or I'll just fill a level with pointless stuff that I won't be satisfied with.

McNum

I hope GAF really gets into this game.

It's gonna be amazing.
A Super Mario Maker GAF playtesting community would be amazing.

The best levels are those that you can get a chance to get other players to comment on so they can be iterated on several times. No level is perfect the first time.

I do hope we can get down in the nitty-gritty about approaches to making a Mario level, too. I'm fairly sure we all have different ways to go at it.

Kinsei

Banned
A Super Mario Maker GAF playtesting community would be amazing.

The best levels are those that you can get a chance to get other players to comment on so they can be iterated on several times. No level is perfect the first time.

I do hope we can get down in the nitty-gritty about approaches to making a Mario level, too. I'm fairly sure we all have different ways to go at it.

Yeah that would be great. I'd love to try out designing good levels, and a key part of reaching the point where the level is good is having feedback that I know I won`t get on Miiverse.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

GLRiVg0.png

LjgVX14.png

kRB3Um0.png

I've been using Tiled for years. It's very fast and intuitive, so it seems like a great way to jot down your ideas quickly (for later refinement in the actual editor).

Great job with the tileset too :)

So you can't make separate bodies of water like in the image above?

The sequel (if there is one) has a lot of potential for growth.

Regardless, this game looks great.

Does anyone recall seeing progressive powerups in any of these videos? Where a fireflower will pop out of a block if you're Super, otherwise it'll just be a mushroom?

Teknoman

Yes, something about calling them and they'll ship it to you for free or something. The instructions are somewhere.

Found it:

"The process of redeeming an order for the booklet is fairly simple. All that is required is to call the toll-free number that will be provided on the digital receipt from your purchase of Super Mario Maker on the eShop. Once connected, explain your reason for calling and then follow up with a series of information such as the serial number of your Wii U (which also can be found on your receipt), email, name, and address. Once completed, an order for your idea booklet will be processed and sent out once available."

MrBadger

Now that we know we can recreate the Mario 3 final boss, I want to make a level which is about travelling down. You have to lure bowser into destroying the floor and each layer you fall onto has harder enemies to dodge, until you both eventually fall onto a Bowser bridge. If vertical levels becomes an issue I'd just stretch it out with pipes and shit

TheMoon

Now that we know we can recreate the Mario 3 final boss, I want to make a level which is about travelling down. You have to lure bowser into destroying the floor and each layer you fall onto has harder enemies to dodge, until you both eventually fall onto a Bowser bridge. If vertical levels becomes an issue I'd just stretch it out with pipes and shit

You can't make vertical levels. Max height is 2 screens, I think.

McNum

You can't make vertical levels. Max height is 2 screens, I think.
Considering that Bowser destroys two blocks per impact, you probably don't want to be much taller than two screens before that gets really old. Unless Giant Bowser destroys more, of course. Or you have multiple Bowsers in action.

cantona222

nApAmv0.png

I like this one. So what will happen if I jump on the goomba but fail to reach the platform? Do I have a second chance or another source of extra goombas? maybe a never ending question mark block at the beginning of the level that gives goombas ;)?

I wish there wasn't a gap in the ground between the starting area and the rest of the level. Same with the flag area and the part that comes before.

Like this:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-25%20at%2015.18.30.png

KeRaSh

Been playing around a little bit and ended up with part 1 of a SMW cave style level. Not sure where to go from here besides deeper and enemy placement isn't final.

Lnf58jk.png

octopiggy

Are 'fall deaths' the only instant deaths in Mario games? (I mean if you have a power up)

I'm so excited for this game. I can't stop thinking up levels and themes. I might have to buy myself a capture card just to share my creations on gaf.

nApAmv0.png

I like this one. So what will happen if I jump on the goomba but fail to reach the platform? Do I have a second chance or another source of extra goombas? maybe a never ending question mark block at the beginning of the level that gives goombas ;)?

It's up to the designer of the level. :) That's not meant to literally be a picture of the level, though it could be. But you could do all sorts of things. Give an infinite source of goombas, or a way to kill yourself so you can always try again, etc.

I like the idea at the bottom better, though. A goomba walking above you and you have to hit P-switches to turn coins into bricks so he doesn't fall down, or something.

Been playing around a little bit and ended up with part 1 of a SMW cave style level. Not sure where to go from here besides deeper and enemy placement isn't final.

Lnf58jk.png

Wow, that looks really cool. Nothing too fancy, just a solid Mario level.

I'd be curious as to whether it might feel a little too dense/narrow though in practice. Not a lot of head clearance in some cases.

Top Bottom