• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

devonodev

This was good but so short! Wanted more!
Thanks! I may expand on the idea in the future.

I wanted to have the player start on the top half of the map, and be able to go down to where missiles would be collected, but the camera made it look terrible as half the screen would be the bottom level below the ground..

Thanks for so much feedback! Tomorrow is a "test GAF levels" day for sure.

i gotta check this out. my very first level was wall jumping too

Let me know what you think! I have to go back and play GAF levels now that I finally have the game. I'll look yours up.

Not bad. It was pretty easy for me, but I consider myself really good at the NSMBU style. I would make it a bit shorter for those not as good or else they would probably die somewhere in the second half and then decide to just skip. For a stage only made with the default objects it's pretty good. I would have just trashed the section right after the fire flower where you go all the way down then up with the floating platform at the bottom. It didn't seem to have a point.

I loves me some wall jumping. I've been thinking of ideas for a course based around it for a while now.

I hear you. I definitely didn't make the hardest wall jumping level ever, but since I don't have everything unlocked I figured I'd just stick to basics. The section you're talking about was mostly meant to "teach" that you need to slide down instead of falling in case there's no floor down below, but any veteran wall jumper would already know that :) And I probably put it too late in the level to be a "teaching" item.

A nice challenge, sometimes I wasn't quite sure whether to drop forward or straight down. All in all, a nice level!

Thanks!

Hey, played and starred yours.

Overall good level with two difficulty spikes that I noticed.

The pipes with the spawning Goombas and Piranha Plants is tough to make it through without getting hit, even if you use a shell to try and kill most of them. I only made it through once while still big.

The other is the wall jumps almost immediately after that with the flying red koopa troopas to the right. The pipes you jump off of are a little small so there's a good chance you'll fall into the pit if you miss even one.

You can probably see where I died the most.

I liked how it's almost like a Sonic level where there are multiple paths through it (high, medium, low), and different solutions based on what power ups you've retained.

If you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on mine that would be amazing.

Mine's more of a puzzle one where you have to get a koopa troopa to the end of each section by knocking the blocks underneath it.

Koopa Troopa's Bogus Journey

1626-0000-003B-8120

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful feedback! You're right, that section is pretty tough, especially because the Goombas keep coming. It's probably too difficult for that section, but I think it would be good if I just removed the spawning goomba pipes and left the alternating pirahnas. As far as the pipes go, I did try to make that part a bit tougher as it was getting near the end of the level, but I died myself there quite a bit. Especially if you still have the super star running into that area, it's easy to go overboard and jump to your doom. But you're totally right in calling it a difficulty spike, I never really was totally happy with that section.

Thank you for making the Sonic connection! That was definitely an inspiration for me. I tried to make most areas have at least two ways to get through it. If you take the koopa shells around with you in the level there are a lot of shortcuts of varying trickiness that you can use. I'll definitely explore that theme more in a later level, when I've unlocked more stuff.

I'll definitely be checking out your level tomorrow :) Thanks again!

That was a fun level. Seemed like you could approach it in a lot of ways. I'd have appreciated it if less pipes were used as platforms if nothing was going to come out of them, but that's more of a general thing with me. I tend to stop before every pipe because the piranha plants in this game hate me.

Hahaha, I hear you. Actually nearly every pipe had a pirahna plant in it at one time or another, and as I tested it I removed the ones that felt especially "cheap." You're right though, it does make you "expect" the pirahna plant. I'll probably try to use that expectation in a more clever way in a later level, as it is you're right to point out that it's needlessly overused here.

Xenoboy

Ok maybe I should lower the difficulty just a bit even if I find my stage easy. The "apple" part is unforgiving because if you touch one of the big catterpillar, you're screwed.
I just beat the level in my second try and what is this "apple" everyone is talking about? I don't remember that.

WigWamBam

Neo Member
I'm so desperate to play this game, I'm going to get a wii u just to play it. I need to ask a few questions, i want to play other games too - Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Splatoon I want to play with my two children. What other controllers do I need as there's so many do I just need to get another controller with a screen or a wii type controller?

Thanks for any help.

12obin

Neo Member
Played Super Mario Maker for the first time yesterday. Really addictive and super fun! Made my first level and it took quite some time to complete it. Before I knew it the clock said 4AM.

It's called Limited resources. I gave it some Metroidvania elements. You need specific upgrades to get to the next part of the level. There isn't much backtracking though. I gave it the name 'Limited resources' because I had limited tools to choose from (haven't unlocked everything yet) and the upgrades you need in this level are also very limited. Prepare for some trial and error. I made it very challenging. At least... I thought it was challenging as it took me quite some time to complete myself. Enjoy! :)

WVW69iY2104D_2vUjl

5C34-0000-003A-70AF

Tim-E

I'm so desperate to play this game, I'm going to get a wii u just to play it. I need to ask a few questions, i want to play other games too - Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Splatoon I want to play with my two children. What other controllers do I need as there's so many do I just need to get another controller with a screen or a wii type controller?

Thanks for any help.

Wii controllers work perfectly with any multiplayer game.

BooJoh

I just hit the unlock limit for 100 Mario Easy mode at 16 Easy plays. I'm not sure what all the factors are, but here are my stats in case anyone is trying to figure out the exact criteria for hitting the limit:
16 Easy Clears
1 Normal Clear
1 Expert Clear
13 costumes unlocked via amiibo

35 total costumes in the Mystery Mushroom menu, including random and the defaults.

Can we nominate some pet peeves?

For me, it's people who hide enemies in question blocks. If you do this STOP. It adds absolutely nothing and is fucking annoying.

I think I've done this in only one of my levels, and it's a theme in that part of the level, so an observant player should quickly learn not to hit blocks in that area.

My biggest peeve is springs in general, but especially when there's a lot of them or they're stacked. I've been terrible at timing springs in Mario games ever since 3-1 of Super Mario Bros where the vine is hidden.

I beat it ya sadistic bastard :). Seriously, that was a satisfying level. The final jump over the last spiked object was pretty hard though.

Just for kicks I tried the level in each of the game themes, and while I can clear it pretty consistently in every other theme, for some reason the NSMBU theme makes me die on the spikes almost every time. I don't know if there's actually something slightly different going on with the physics or if it's just in my head.

BowieZ

Banned
ALRIGHT EVERYONE IM PLAYING YOUR LEVELS FOR THE NEXT TWO HOURS.

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

OmegaDL50

Every level that quotes this post (include your code) I will play and give feedback to!

If your level got ignored and you think it has merit, repost it and I'll play it!

Here is the second stage I made. I think it's better than my first one.

Please comment or critique. Anything to help me improve would be great.

Hilly Hillside

(E1B2-0000-003C-2C89)

WVW69iY64PUwV29WY-

12obin

Neo Member

Here's my level! Hope you enjoy it and all feedback is appreciated. :)

Played Super Mario Maker for the first time yesterday. Really addictive and super fun! Made my first level and it took quite some time to complete it. Before I knew it the clock said 4AM.

It's called Limited resources. I gave it some Metroidvania elements. You need specific upgrades to get to the next part of the level. There isn't much backtracking though. I gave it the name 'Limited resources' because I had limited tools to choose from (haven't unlocked everything yet) and the upgrades you need in this level are also very limited. Prepare for some trial and error. I made it very challenging. At least... I thought it was challenging as it took me quite some time to complete myself. Enjoy! :)

WVW69iY2104D_2vUjl

5C34-0000-003A-70AF

Looks like everyone's been having a lot of fun with Super Mario Maker in here! I have been too, and I've come up with five courses so far, all of which I'm fairly to very proud of! I'm going to go through the thread and find some levels to play and provide feedback on, and I'd love it if ya'll did the same for me! Here they are, in order of creation:

Step by Step... - 6583-0000-001B-F23D (The most amateurish of the bunch, since it's the first one I made. A pretty mild obstacle-course style level with some tricky platforming at the end.)

The Prince's Morning Swim - C265-0000-0027-A3FC (A short underwater level that emphasizes using stars well to get past otherwise-impossible sections. i'm rather proud of the very end segment....)

Fun with Super Leaves - 6305-0000-0036-BF85 (Me experimenting with the SMB 3 theme and making a course with a split route, only one of them leading to the goal.

Contra: Mario Corps - 1599-0000-0036-CE11 (A course which started as me seeing what kind of super-short level I could make using a scary face motif that evolved into so much more, eventually ending up as a run'n'gun-style showdown in a hive of Fire Piranha Plants. I really like this one!)

Big Problem, POWerful Solution: CD31-0000-003B-80F8 (A super-short course with an obvious, fun gimmick and a somewhat less obvious way of actually reaching the goal.)

I don't think any of them are all that tough, but they do have alarmingly low clear rates. They can be a bit tricky, sure, but nothing (I thought) a typical Mario/platformer veteran can't handle. If this game is teaching me anything, it's how incredibly bad many, many people are at Mario games.

That said, I'm not usually the creative type at all (I'm better at refining than creating) and I am floored by how much SMM is fostering my creative skills. It's truly emergent gameplay, the kind where you naturally learn and develop instincts, putting ever-larger pieces together over time. This is genuinely a brilliant game in many ways.

StayDead

BF76-0000-0039-52A3

OK chaps, time to pimp my wares...

My philosophy when making levels is based around how I experienced my favourite levels in Mario games from SMB through to 3D World.

The process would normally go like this:

1, How the fuck am I supposed to do this?
2. Oh am I supposed to it like that? But surely that's impossible???
3. OK, it's not impossible, it's just very, very hard.
4. NNNNG! NNNNNNG!
5. Level complete

Accordingly, my levels tend to be hard but hopefully not troll-hard, just hard and fair. I guess it's unlikely that you will do them in one-shot.

Please note, I do need to work on my presentation so even if I think these play well, they look like shit.

Here we go:

3zvLWqY.jpg

The Hop, Skip and Jump is my first creation and I still feel it's my best. It's basically just precision platforming and is medium difficulty with one spike near the end.

NeitBvB.jpg

My second is just a little thing I whipped up in five minutes. Once you work out what you need to do, it's pretty easy.

RVMw7I0.jpg

This is another quick one. It's another Star rampage level. There is a little trick to it but it shouldn't take more than a few goes.

ChsRvXX.jpg

This is my final level and is so far unbeaten although I think the three people that have tried it have tried it 50 times between them, which I hope is testament to the "hard but fair" philosophy. It's an extension of the idea in Suicide is Painless but longer and more forgiving. No particular aspect of it is that difficult but somehow the level is pretty tricky once everything is put together...

I'll be attempting and critiquing GAF levels tonight during the football.

:) just do the first and/or the last one

octopiggy

I just hit the unlock limit for 100 Mario Easy mode at 16 Easy plays. I'm not sure what all the factors are, but here are my stats in case anyone is trying to figure out the exact criteria for hitting the limit:
16 Easy Clears
1 Normal Clear
1 Expert Clear
13 costumes unlocked via amiibo

35 total costumes in the Mystery Mushroom menu, including random and the defaults.

I hit the limit for easy at 20. But I only scanned 1 amiibo - Samus.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My biggest peeve is springs in general, but especially when there's a lot of them or they're stacked. I've been terrible at timing springs in Mario games ever since 3-1 of Super Mario Bros where the vine is hidden.

I also hate springs. Ironically my first level was based around them (it was limited to the "day 1" stuff), but if you were clever you never needed to time your jumps.

That one level in the 10 Mario Challenge wasn't fun for me.

BowieZ

Banned

WVW69iY2104D_2vUjl

5C34-0000-003A-70AF
I like parts of this level and it had a good vibe, but the level is too cramped in places, which is funny considering your limited tools. Also, I got stuck at one point due to unlocking the spring on the spring, getting the fire flower then going back and one of the springs was gone. Make sure to thoroughly playtest your level! Otherwise, keep it up :)

JoeM86

Play my four :)

It's called Run, duck, stop! Hammer Time! E280-0000-002D-EE88
Worms, Wires and trapped Bowser 65DA-000-0030-CE45
Leading A Bowser To Slaughter 21CA-0000-0036-2C35
Is it a bird, a plane? It's Mario! - 0C62-0000-003C-15B3

Big One

Banned
Spent several hours making this. My first Zelda dungeon esque level:

Chain-Chomp Mountain - 15F3-0000-003C-54CB

SFWARDe.jpg

Prob my most creative level yet. It's pretty easy as well.

12obin

Neo Member
I like parts of this level and it had a good vibe, but the level is too cramped in places, which is funny considering your limited tools. Also, I got stuck at one point due to unlocking the spring on the spring, getting the fire flower then going back and one of the springs was gone. Make sure to thoroughly playtest your level! Otherwise, keep it up :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make some changes. :D

BowieZ

Banned
Funnily enough I found your secret vine immediately lol, but otherwise without that, the first spring jump is needlessly hard especially with an angry wiggler disrupting you into a small red koopa patrolled platform. Otherwise a fun diversion, with a nice P-switch trick.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Might as well repost some of my levels. Take your pick:

Joy of Spring (C659-0000-0031-016C)
Mariotroid (FB8C-0000-0027-BFE5)
Mushroom Split (19D9-0000-001F-7162)
Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle (5985-0000-0018-8690)

Oidisco

Last night I decided to make a straightforward Castle level. At this point I’ve got a good grasp of the core fundamentals that go into making a simple traditional style level, so I thought it wouldn’t take too long

What ended up happening was I spent 6 hours making the level, with 5 of those hours trying to make some semblance of a story and context to the level. I also spent a lot of that time trying to figure out how to make a creepy introduction. And it's not even close to being finished!

I’m probably wasting my time to be honest.

Tim-E

Here are mine that ended up being the last post in the previous page:

Appetizer
773B-0000-003A-8260

WVW69iY6tkox7uaoaS
WVW69iY6uQkH10Vu_j

Steppin' Out
A705-0000-002E-5128

WVW69iY6zw0tvvx9EM
WVW69iY61oMj_Apubv

Water-resistent
54FF-0000-0031-AC8A
WVW69iY62cMMiDQ931
WVW69iY6yQsM0c-B1R

ABC's Castle
A8F2-0000-0033-A1D0
WVW69iY6wTsjuJwzWQ
WVW69iY6vl83QNwxzY

I'd love to hear what you have to say about my levels, but I can't really say they've been ignored. >_>

Maybe you could do my latest one, I haven't heard what people think of it yet.

City of Ruin: D8A6-0000-003A-6A98

With a name like Wigglevators I had to give it a shot! Certainly too hard for my liking but I love the gimmick, it’s really great. Some good design in the level too – lots of clever ideas. If someone’s looking for a tough nut to crack, you should play it, but if the name Wigglevators won’t do it for you, you’re too far gone.
You don't want to know how many tries it took me to submit the thing. I've had it happens several times that I get individual parts down to a science when I playtest parts, but then I have to do everything in one go, and suddenly you're aware you've created a monster. I honestly can't wait until the game adds checkpoints.

I'm a big fan of this one but I haven't beaten it yet. The last bit with the series of horizontally traveling wigglers gives me some trouble. It's especially rough if you end up falling down and have two consecutive angry wigglers that are synchronized with each other. I might recommend offsetting them so that every other wiggler's track is a couple units to the left or to the right.
Yeah, it would may have helped. If you go slow like I did, the angered wigglers throw the timing off anyway, but offsetting them from the start would have probably helped for people who don't need to stall with a short break between each "floor".

BowieZ

Banned
BF76-0000-0039-52A3
Pretty good, but a bit short! Could have done with one extra section. The bob-omb jump is a bit hard since you didn't allow us to practice it safely first and it's a bit cramped. There are some annoyingly spaced flame torches. Otherwise I enjoyed the layout and the secret cloudy bit. Good work!

Oidisco

Sure yea, I'd like some more feedback on this level.

Rescue Yoshi!
8B79-0000-0030-F171

It's a very traditional style Mario level (or so I've been told). It's not very difficult, but the level has a lot of secret paths and ways to speed things up if you want to speedrun it and make things harder for yourself.

Zero148

I tried to do a baby bowser boss fight. So far it is only a concept and only the fight. Please try it, any feedback is welcome: The key to winning is good platforming skills. The dificulty propably is medium - hard, although more on the medium side. It can get hectic, but it is designed fair.

4775-0000-003C-6760 (Baby Bowser Fight (V. 1.0))

WVW69iY7ibAgdzo4uC

I've finished the massive NeoGaf Part 2 video and it's uploading - will be released in the next few hours. It's just over a hour long so a big night for me.

Here are a couple videos to keep you entertai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJBU7_-XXw - Levels by the SuperMario Maker FB Group. Some nice simple designs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqOxW6WNPks - Levels by my own friends.

One course is a nice Cat style level and the later ones are "Dark Souls" type levelsiswhere I lose my shit .

Enjoy and I will update you all when the video is finished uploading.

Thud

Name: Thuddert
Title: Marioary
Description: Super Mario World ABC. Great for starters.
ID: 73FC-0000-0028-6208
WVW69iYcjLkzwcoS93

Ninja Dom

I'm making these courses thick & fast.

My latest: Hello, Captain Falcon

WVW69iY7saEAgb6vO4

522E-0000-003C-6C98

McNum

Hmm... I don't think I "get" Ghost House designs. I tired making one last night, and it just turned out... bleh. I uploaded it, but I don't even feel like sharing. Just some doors and pipes that if you pick wrong, you get sent backwards. It's not really fun, there's no challenge, only frustration over getting it wrong and having to redo part of the level.

So, anyone got some tips or some example levels that show a good Ghost House? Or should I just accept that I'm not good at those?

JPickford

Finished my 2nd World up with a Castle Stage.

People keep telling me "Oh... Your levels are too easy", but some of my levels have less than a 40% completion rate so I'm not sure. I try to make sensible levels that you'd actually find in a Mario game so idk...

On to World 3!

40% means means it took players an average of about 2.5 lives/attempts. That would be considered pretty easy. It's not 40% of people managed to complete it, it's 40% of attempts were successful.

BowieZ

Banned
OK chaps, time to pimp my wares...

Accordingly, my levels tend to be hard but hopefully not troll-hard, just hard and fair. I guess it's unlikely that you will do them in one-shot.

Please note, I do need to work on my presentation so even if I think these play well, they look like shit.

I'll be attempting and critiquing GAF levels tonight during the football.

:) just do the first and/or the last one
The first level is obviously for experts' eyes only but satisfying in a harrowing anxiety inducing kinda way, but the koopa to the three piranha pipes leading to almost certain death is needlessly punishing. Could tweak things a little bit to make it a tiny bit longer but a little easier would be much more satisfying.

this game definitely needs some more on-line finesse.

Every level should come with a link which appears on your Mario Maker online profile.

You should be able to post the links in forums and when people (who are signed into their profile) click them, they get added to their "to play" list in the console.

When they get to their Wii U, all the levels they clicked will be automatically cued up to play, one after the other.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Thanks for any help.

Smash Bros is compatible with every controller under the sun: Gamepad (tablet), Pro Controller, Remote + Classic Controller, Remote + Nunchuk, Remote alone, and Gamecube Controller (w/ adapter).

Mario Maker requires the Gamepad to *make* levels, but I believe any Wii-compatible controller can *play* them.

I don't know of any game that supports 2 Gamepads at once, and I don't believe you can even buy that controller separately from the system.

Top Bottom