• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Hylian7

Sadly, no. There are no vertical levels as far as I know, which is a major bummer. :-(

Auto-scroll only goes left to right and courses can only be two screens high.

Shake a Boo to make a group.

Courses can have a over-world and an under-world with any 2 themes.
Thanks guys. Sad about the auto scroll.

Is the over and under world thing something you have to unlock, or did I just not see the way to do it?

Weng

That was fun! My suggestion would be to maybe add some coins or something up where the pipe with the P-switch is - there's a delay before the switch comes out of the pipe, and my first time through I tried going in the pipe then went back down when I couldn't, so I didn't see the switch come out. Maybe if there were a few coins to the right of the pipe I would have seen it while I was collecting them.

I uploaded this course last night, but it got lost in the shuffle. I would appreciate any feedback - I deleted and reuploaded it after making some changes today:

Saw Blades in the Sky
5C33-0000-003E-799E

CtdnmOg.jpg

I also made two other courses if you like that one:

Koopa Paratroopa Land
A397-0000-0034-680B

Piranha Plant Pipes
CA3F-0000-001E-5A7E
Thanks for checking it out! Hmm this might be a problem. Though I'll wait for more feedback before changing anything. Did you look for the three 1Ups and the 100 coins?

Out of your three courses I probably liked Koopa Paratroopa Land the best. It really feels like a Mario level.

Saw Blades in the Sky looks a lot harder than it actually is, but in a good way. With lots of saw blades that actually can't hurt you. I liked the split paths after climbing the vine.

Piranha Plant Pipes is okay, but I think it's a bit repetetive.

Followed. ;)

Are there any websites or blogs updating with levels that people are creating? Would love to put that together and curate new levels that aren't just auto-scrolls or near impossible, gimmicky stuff like on the leaderboards.

daydream

Banned
Quoting for a new page!

dude, you posted your stage seven posts ago. no need to clutter up the page just so people can see it again. if someone wants to check out your stage, he/she will, earlier pages aren't inaccessible.

Are there any websites or blogs updating with levels that people are creating? Would love to put that together and curate new levels that aren't just auto-scrolls or near impossible, gimmicky stuff like on the leaderboards.

don't think any site is curating levels. check out the community showcase on the first page for some hand-picked gaffer levels that are top notch.

itschris

Thanks for checking it out! Hmm this might be a problem. Though I'll wait for more feedback before changing anything. Did you look for the three 1Ups and the 100 coins?

Out of your three courses I probably liked Koopa Paratroopa Land the best. It really feels like a Mario level.

Saw Blades in the Sky looks a lot harder than it actually is, but in a good way. With lots of saw blades that actually can't hurt you. I liked the split paths after climbing the vine.

Piranha Plant Pipes is okay, but I think it's a bit repetetive.

Followed. ;)

Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, it wasn't a huge deal, I did see the switch come out on my second attempt. I actually did go back and look for the secrets after I beat it once, but I wasn't able to find any. Maybe a little too hidden, or was I missing something more obvious?

B_Bech

dude, you posted your stage seven posts ago. no need to clutter up the page just so people can see it again. if someone wants to check out your stage, he/she will, earlier pages aren't inaccessible.

don't think any site is curating levels. check out the community showcase on the first page for some hand-picked gaffer levels that are top notch.

This is a stage I just made? I literally finished it a few minutes ago. Seven pages ago I posted my Olimar stage...

jholmes

A new level from me!

WVW69iZANr8XnM3kSF

Magicant: A30E-0000-003E-82AB

I love EarthBound and everyone keeps doing these thematic stages, so I decided to give it a shot myself at least once. Enjoy!

I'll post impressions about some levels I played today a little later too.

AniHawk

Props. I made a level with a similar concept but yours is much more of a traditional Mario experience. Loved the little props above doors to let you know what you were getting into and there was some very clever use of the environment to make you loop back in case you messed up.

Wholly recommend you all give this one a try.

thank you! i actually discovered one glaring flaw in the koopa part where you *can* get stuck without the right tools (this is something i try to avoid. it was a fun exercise to sketch out eight small concepts. i think i might make another one like it, but a few ideas came from there that I have interest in exploring more fully.

Been having a lot of fun with this, and bashed together a few stages already.

Have put a little bit of effort into creating a cohesive stage which I think works pretty well. If anyone wants to give it a go, it's called Piranhaville 1-1 and the code is 3A0B 0000 003E B390.

Will take a look at other Gaffers' levels shortly as well.

daydream

Banned
This is a stage I just made? I literally finished it a few minutes ago. Seven pages ago I posted my Olimar stage...

who said anything about an olimar stage, i'm talking about this post. you don't need to quote it (especially not the whole thing) on the next page, people will see your post even if it's at the end of a page

anyway, not gonna dwell on this

ohNOitsRO

Ok ok, made some new levels here really hoping to get some criticism!

Fried Calamari
A basic water level with an emphasis on dodging.
ID: EF6F-0000-003B-3351

The Path Less Taken
A nice ghost house in SMW fashion.. I think it plays pretty close to a real SMW ghost house level.. Alternate paths and hidden rooms await!
ID: 28CB-0000-003B-0BBC

Race Against The Machine
Just a nice mushroom chasing level inspired by the many out there already! Pretty simple and quick paced! Can you get to it in time?
ID: 5D18-0000-003B-1DE5

Imminent Evaporation
Will you make it in the cloud in time? Or will you face imminent evaporation?
ID: 3B34-0000-003B-76DC

Waluigi's Cloud Spectacle
GAF's favorite protagonist is back in his own cloud flying, spike evading, cannon dodging spectacle.
ID: 6C9A-0000-003B-C305

Mario-Type
Did the best I could to recreate a side scroller shooter like one I saw not too long ago.. basic but fun to dodge and shoot fireballs I think :O
ID: 47E7-0000-003E-A10A

Well, I'm going back now and playing a bunch of GAF levels I wrote down, but the thread moves so fast! If you guys have some specific levels you want played just let me know! Also it would be cool to get some followers ;P

Edit: Also, the only other level I've posted before only has 3 plays and no completions :( it's kinda long but I was really proud of its whole set up :O let's see if this time around I get some more bites
ID: CA34-0000-003A-B3C8

Dat new page quote

In the spirit of people dying a lot I've tried to make a more simple stage this time.

Damp 'N' Dingy: 8A33-0000-003E-B8F9
Style: SMW
Theme: Cave

A stage my chum maxcriden should hopefully be able to tackle, I did tell him I'd make some more standard stages before release after all.

Weng

Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, it wasn't a huge deal, I did see the switch come out on my second attempt. I actually did go back and look for the secrets after I beat it once, but I wasn't able to find any. Maybe a little too hidden, or was I missing something more obvious?

Hint 1:
The title of the level is a hint to look for hidden blocks above lamps. There's a hidden block (or a vine) over every single lamp, only its height may differ.

Hint 2:
You can enter the pipe right before the big Dry Bones with a small spin jump.

goldenpp72

Hey guys, I spent some hours yesterday and this morning tinkering with this level. It's not the most elaborate design, I just tried a lot to try and prevent people from breaking the intended design, so feel free to try and poke holes in it or, just enjoy hopefully. The level is more gimmicky than the last couple I made since I was experimenting with the new stuff, but the theme of the level is if you would like to rescue a Yoshi or go without him, there are a couple little secrets and such laced around with not so subtle hints at times.

Feel free to make any critiques or comments, haven't gotten a lot of attention on any of my stuff but, even if this wasn't my best level it was probably the hardest one to make, probably went through 3 versions before I settled on this one :p It's my Birthday so I might not spend much time tinkering with the game today but i've had a fun time making stuff.

5653-0000-003D-B9C8
yoshi-large.jpg

Not a single person has tried my track above if anyone is willing to go for it. Also, to make this a not useless post, here is an additional level the more medium or above skilled might enjoy, simply titled Training Grounds. I was thinking of making multiple levels that focus on the basic mechanics and of course, the various items and such. I didn't have a bunch of great ideas or anything but it's fun enough. I tried to keep it short but sweet since I imagine people will die a bit.

F166-0000-003E-B9E5 is the code if you'd like to give it a romp, appreciate any stars and such so I can hopefully upload more one day :)

B_Bech

Not a single person has tried my track above if anyone is willing to go for it. Also, to make this a not useless post, here is an additional level the more medium or above skilled might enjoy, simply titled Training Grounds. I was thinking of making multiple levels that focus on the basic mechanics and of course, the various items and such. I didn't have a bunch of great ideas or anything but it's fun enough. I tried to keep it short but sweet since I imagine people will die a bit.

F166-0000-003E-B9E5 is the code if you'd like to give it a romp, appreciate any stars and such so I can hopefully upload more one day :)

I'll play it. :) Usually I just ask people to PM me stages, since this topic moves too fast for me to keep up with!

Fawk Nin

Here is my first real attempt. I'll probably update it and make it a bit longer once I unlock a couple more things.
Any feedback is welcome.

Petey Precision: 7735-0000-003E-C40E

TheJoRu

My third upload:

Wiggler Wednesday
96DB-0000-003E-C439

Very much a classic Super Mario World-level, featuring Wigglers! Preferably played on a Wednesday, though it is designed to be fun for all occasions.

B_Bech

who said anything about an olimar stage, i'm talking about this post. you don't need to quote it (especially not the whole thing) on the next page, people will see your post even if it's at the end of a page

anyway, not gonna dwell on this

EDIT: I read posts as pages. Haha, my bad! I'm sorry, I'll refrain from doing that in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

m0t0k1

Nintendo Life has a place where you can upload your levels. You can also give it tags so if you like swimming levels you can look for that. Also has a rating system + comment system.

http://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker

Another nice find was this anybody looking to play SMM on 3ds somebody did a simple port to 3ds petit computer

http://petitcomputer.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Maker_PTC

Also tweaked my Chip N Dale level a bit. The bowser fight is way more easy so flowers to shoot him and shells. Anybody that loved Chip N Dale and a level that uses the conveyer belt a lot please check out my level.

Chip n Dale area J
WVW69iZAFI84rBtWRP

(F0A9-0000-003E-7941)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here's my second level, "Whacker Mole Hollow". Took me over 30 hours to make! Whew. Hope someone digs it! This one has a bit of a cunning ending, hope it's fun to figure out!

Code: 029E 0000 003B E066

ImQkR8T.jpg

D3mm2FO.jpg

I gave it a go and I'll admit the ending outsmarted me.

I got as far as finding the giant mole and guiding it to the P switch, but since I had hit an invisible block beneath one door I could not access the little room with the door and the entrance to the goal area just below it again.

Protome

I took at stab at making a level which feels like an early SMB3 level.

I think it worked out alright, i learnt a lot for my next level though (I also think more people should use those big coloured rectangle panel things from SMB3)

PqLJSmq.jpg

ID is 8EE0-0000-002F-24DC if you would like to try (and give feedback!)

I plan on downloading a bunch of the levels from in this thread this weekend. Its just a shame we are stuck using big codes rather than any of the other dozens of good sharing methods out there.

I gave it a few tries and unable to finish. I'm absolutely terrible at those NSMB wall jumps. I do like the Yoshi rescue mission though. Good level, just not for me.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
I really enjoyed this, parts of it felt like a proper ghost level like (failing the obvious jump failure spoiler)
landing on the drybones from the fail door to hitting the invisible 1up

Only 2 criticisms, one is so minor and I blame the game more than anything, that laughing sound isn't great used anywhere. Why they couldn't have the proper Boo laugh is beyond me. Other one is the drop after going through the correct door seems a little unfair to just drop them into blind enemies.

Other than that, had a blast with this one!

Thanks for the kind words and advice! I'll look at tweaking that correct path room a little. Creating it, the blind enemies weren't really blind for me so I didn't think about it being a bit unfair. Gotta keep remembering that when making stages. I'll also look at dropping a couple laughing sound blocks from the course. Wish they had a Boo one :(

PKrockin

HA!, got someone on miiverse just called my level
WVW69iYqSS8FXJ6KhU

Hold Jump To Bounce off Enemies!
(56D5-0000-0034-56CF)

"The Worst level"
which... Seems a bit harsh
I played it the other day. I want to see what that person has been playing if that's his standard for crap. Must not have ever played 100 Mario challenge before.

JonnyKong

That was fun! My suggestion would be to maybe add some coins or something up where the pipe with the P-switch is - there's a delay before the switch comes out of the pipe, and my first time through I tried going in the pipe then went back down when I couldn't, so I didn't see the switch come out. Maybe if there were a few coins to the right of the pipe I would have seen it while I was collecting them.

I uploaded this course last night, but it got lost in the shuffle. I would appreciate any feedback - I deleted and reuploaded it after making some changes today:

Saw Blades in the Sky
5C33-0000-003E-799E

CtdnmOg.jpg

I also made two other courses if you like that one:

Koopa Paratroopa Land
A397-0000-0034-680B

Piranha Plant Pipes
CA3F-0000-001E-5A7E

I'll post my course one more time on this page. Play it or something, it's pretty good maybe!

The Forgotten Fortress:
483C-0000-003E-38A7

wiiu_screenshot_gamepx3ozg.jpg

I just picked both these out at random and thought both were fantastic. You've both given me some good ideas for my next level and helped made me realise some things I've been doing wrong with my own levels. Unfortunately I didn't complete the fortress level, but I think I got right near the end. It's not your fault creator why I didn't attempt a second run, I blame the lack of check points on the game.

itschris

Hint 1:
The title of the level is a hint to look for hidden blocks above lamps. There's a hidden block (or a vine) over every single lamp, only its height may differ.

Hint 2:
You can enter the pipe right before the big Dry Bones with a small spin jump.

Cool, I found everything!
I did notice that the hidden block leading to the switch pipe was above a lamp, but I didn't make that connection with the course name. And I tried to jump to that first pipe once, but I forgot about the spin jump so I never got to it. I liked the part where I had to spin jump on top of the thwomps!

I just picked both these out at random and thought both were fantastic. You've both given me some good ideas for my next level and helped made me realise some things I've been doing wrong with my own levels.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it and that I gave you some ideas!

Work in progress level.
You only live once
Agent Mario must infiltrate the volcano base of the evil Gold-shell and put an end to his evil shenanigans. Can you defeat bowser and grab the 1ups along the way.

Half finished but would appreciate feedback. First part is a clown car shmup style thing.

q7YRDF9.jpg

I took at stab at making a level which feels like an early SMB3 level.

I think it worked out alright, i learnt a lot for my next level though (I also think more people should use those big coloured rectangle panel things from SMB3)

ID is 8EE0-0000-002F-24DC if you would like to try (and give feedback!)

Nice level overall. I liked the exploding bombs that blow up automatically. It could definitely be a little longer, but what's there is good.

I tried your level and I liked it.

The sub section was really fun. I never thought I'd be able to catch up to Yoshi but managed it in the end. I don't go back for the other Yoshi. I tried a few times (without the first Yoshi and that jump backwards was too hard. I guess it would be easier if I tried it with the first Yoshi but by the time I had him I didn't want to risk losing him.

Also its probably easier just to skip the entire sub level??

Fibally, hiding the boo in the block just means that I don't ever hit that block after my first death.

But still, a good level. Well done.

goldenpp72

I gave it a few tries and unable to finish. I'm absolutely terrible at those NSMB wall jumps. I do like the Yoshi rescue mission though. Good level, just not for me.

Definitely understandable, while I don't care as much for the NSMB aesthetic I do really dig the added control options so I tend to use it for the more acrobatic sorts of ideas. I myself died a few times during the upload so I don't imagine everyone will finish it, but for those that do it's mildly satisfying and not.. ridiculously stupid :p

BriGuy

As a bit of an experiment, I set the Wii U tablet on the ground and took a dump on the screen. The level it created was better than most of the stuff I come across in 100 Mario challenge.

goldenpp72

I tried your level and I liked it.

The sub section was really fun. I never thought I'd be able to catch up to Yoshi but managed it in the end. I don't go back for the other Yoshi. I tried a few times (without the first Yoshi and that jump backwards was too hard. I guess it would be easier if I tried it with the first Yoshi but by the time I had him I didn't want to risk losing him.

Also its probably easier just to skip the entire sub level??

Fibally, hiding the boo in the block just means that I don't ever hit that block after my first death.

But still, a good level. Well done.

There is only one Yoshi that is meant to leave the level, the others are just there for the gimmick of requesting for help, there is a second one that you can get to through a hidden path at the very end, but it's just there as a message really. If you find both the blockaded Yoshi you'll notice there is a door in each so I was meaning to imply it was the same one going between the 2 areas, but not easy to convey some stuff for me. The doors can't be accessed though and are just hidden somewhere not to be found.

Also, you can definitely skip the entire sub level which is why I put the message for doing so, as well as making the final bit harder to finish if you're just Mario (Yoshi can walk right over all the final hazards on the stage :p)

Good critiques though, obviously only the person making it really knows the full intent of the little gimmicks, but really, the only thing about the level is either saving the one yoshi, or choosing not to and finishing it that way, so nothing too crazy :p

Edit: Oh and there is also a hidden way to bring a Pow block to the end of the sub level, kind of a multi option way to dispatch the big bad.

Protome

Nice level overall. I liked the exploding bombs that blow up automatically. It could definitely be a little longer, but what's there is good.
Thanks! I tried to keep it short like SMB3 levels, but I might it a bit longer or make a longer one using the SMW style.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just got my first one done.

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

I wanted something in the SMB1 style that felt very un-SMB1, so this is a "vertical" air ship stage, to the extent that the game can let you disguise sub-areas as multiple segments, anyway.

It's probably too difficult for the average player, but I tried to at least keep the difficulty to precision platforming and not bullshit trolls. You can either see or react to pretty much everything that's coming.

I'll take a look at some of the other courses posted over dinner.

King_Moc

Banned
I had the idea to make a course based around shells going upwards using musical notes. I don't know how good it is particularly, all I know is it took me bloody hours. I'm worried the correct way of doing the last two sections might not be obvious enough, but i'm not sure.

WVW69iZA-OMMRtIzzg

Roll Up - 8B5B-0000-003E-E721

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My nephew was over and made a level if any one wants to play it

5BEE-0000-003E-E4C4

As a bit of an experiment, I set the Wii U tablet on the ground and took a dump on the screen. The level it created was better than most of the stuff I come across in 100 Mario challenge.
f7FdEdG.jpg

I tried the training ground one too. Fucking hell. Too hard for me. Didn't have to do any wall jumps though but the section where you have to bounce of the heads of various moving enemies was hard as fuck. Suggest liberal mushroom use in that room.

Yeah, the vast majority of user-made levels seem to be complete and utter garbage. Not that it's surprising or anything. The ones people have been posting here are quite good overall, though.

Top Bottom