• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Fucking piece of shit Wii U WIFI shitty connection, can't update my Wii U software, won't be able to download or upload any levels tomorrow. I love the system but I have never had so many issues with connecting a home console to the internet and maintaining said connection than I have with the Wii U.

Very annoying.

Just uploaded my first level ever. Little more limited in scale given the items I have access to, but I tried to take a different spin on the "Winners Don't Do Shrooms" concept we saw pre-release. I'm ready for any and all negative feedback for my small level. :p

Winners Always Do Shrooms
ID: 0B53-0000-0012-A49F

Boba2007

My first level, Underground Pipeland: A608-0000-0012-9E19

Please let me know what you think!

Edit:

Just uploaded my first level ever. Little more limited in scale given the items I have access to, but I tried to take a different spin on the "Winners Don't Do Shrooms" concept we saw pre-release. I'm ready for any and all negative feedback for my small level. :p

Winners Always Do Shrooms
ID: 0B53-0000-0012-A49F

Nice idea, it was a bit short but that's to be expected with the starting items. I hope you'll try this concept again once you have everything unlocked!

Yeah doesn't look like that update did away with the locked content, gotta move the clock ahead manually, works with internet connection too. Is the timer for new content 5 mins? Seems longer as still using day 2 and haven't seen notification for new items yet. Grrr.

Nice idea, it was a bit short but that's to be expected with the starting items. I hope you'll try this concept again once you have everything unlocked!

Oh I definitely will. This is more a proof of concept than anything. I felt it was better to stop short than have to make it long and repeat ideas because my item selection was limited. Thanks for giving it a shot!

totowhoa

Banned
Man... I thought I had it in me since I took off work, but after an hour of playing I gotta crash. I thought I'd be able to pull a good old fashion late night of games but I just don't have it in me :( looking forward to playing GAF levels tomorrow morning though!

Also are there any more in game tutorials beyond the beginning part? That was super brief was expecting a bit more hand holding before they let you go fully on your own. Where do you find the packed in levels too?

A few pages ago someone mentioned having levels for their young kids. I've been thinking the same thing. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. The eldest has played a little of the Mario games, mostly NSMB on an old DS, but she rarely makes it to the checkpoints and I have to beat stages for her (I'm trying to cook you food for you, damnit! This was supposed to distract you for 10 minutes!)

Anyways, I made "Toddler Level" as my first uploaded level. My thoughts were to work on some jumping skills. The closest things to obsticals are some blocks and pipes on the ground but I've included optional blocks to jump and hit along with some ? blocks. The most complicated section is a second story of raised blocks to reach the top of the flag pole (without running.)

The code is 56C3-0000-0012-9527

Please take a look and judge it based off my goals, which was a basic toddler level to introduce jumping.

You guys ready for my first course?

Piranha Plant Panic
61AF-0000-0012-AE1B

There's no wrong way to beat it btw
You can totally cheese it at the end but if you can get 5 1-Ups you're a Super Player in my book

Symtendo

I've made my second level and called it 'Shell Shocker' and it's built around the use of Koopa Troopers to help advance around the levels. I kind of made it up as I went along and sat and tweaked it as I went to try and find something that mechanically works, but isn't too difficult or long.

It definitely felt better than my first level which I had been thinking about all week.

If anyone wants to try and and give me some feedback I'd be very thankful.

The code is 8A14-0000-0012-A097

Big Brett

Okay guys, here's my first real attempt at a level that isn't really supposed to be challenging, but just fun. It's the second hour of unlocks or whatever.

80CE-0000-0012-B4CE

Boy these codes are going to get old.

I've made my second level and called it 'Shell Shocker' and it's built around the use of Koopa Troopers to help advance around the levels. I kind of made it up as I went along and sat and tweaked it as I went to try and find something that mechanically works, but isn't too difficult or long.

It definitely felt better than my first level which I had been thinking about all week.

If anyone wants to try and and give me some feedback I'd be very thankful.

The code is 8A14-0000-0012-A097

I played your level. I couldn't tell when to keep turtle shells and when to drop them for the next section. My first death was from holding a shell and the turtle popped back out at me.

The intro section was too long and I always had one she'll get away from me and respawn, mostly at the raised blocks. Consider making the user only need to break one block each wall here.

The 3 ? Blocks with turtles annoyed me. The first time I got there I popped all three and died trying to get on the ledge. Consider making 1 ? Block with bricks on either side, unless you wanted that to be a challenge.

The section after, with the big turtle pipe, I accidently kicked the big she'll into the pit on the right . Because he was still alive no more came out of the pipe, but he was in too tight of a spot to effectively get. Not sure what the ideal fix would be here.

After this I fell into the pit the first time. If you want a hole here maybe telegraph it better.

The turtle with the springs was a fun grab but was tedious if you let the turtle get away destroying the next set of blocks.

I like bouncing the big turtles but was confused on what to do at the top. I went back and grabbed the propeller cap but that made the flag pole run up too easy. Was I supposed to carry a turtle shell up here? This section needs just a little more iteration and it will be pretty cool!

I liked the concepts in this stage, just need some tweaks to be more forgiving if you lost a turtle, and maybe telegraph some of the traps more fairly and I think it'll be cool!

(Sorry if my write up seems harsh. I work in software qa so... if it is cold and emotionless it's nothing personal!)

BowieZ

Banned
From reading the FAQ and user posts im still confused as to what exactly I'll have to do to unlock all the content but I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Symtendo

I played your level. I couldn't tell when to keep turtle shells and when to drop them for the next section. My first death was from holding a shell and the turtle popped back out at me.

The intro section was too long and I always had one she'll get away from me and respawn, mostly at the raised blocks. Consider making the user only need to break one block each wall here.

The 3 ? Blocks with turtles annoyed me. The first time I got there I popped all three and died trying to get on the ledge. Consider making 1 ? Block with bricks on either side, unless you wanted that to be a challenge.

The section after, with the big turtle pipe, I accidently kicked the big she'll into the pit on the right . Because he was still alive no more came out of the pipe, but he was in too tight of a spot to effectively get. Not sure what the ideal fix would be here.

After this I fell into the pit the first time. If you want a hole here maybe telegraph it better.

The turtle with the springs was a fun grab but was tedious if you let the turtle get away destroying the next set of blocks.

I like bouncing the big turtles but was confused on what to do at the top. I went back and grabbed the propeller cap but that made the flag pole run up too easy. Was I supposed to carry a turtle shell up here? This section needs just a little more iteration and it will be pretty cool!

I liked the concepts in this stage, just need some tweaks to be more forgiving if you lost a turtle, and maybe telegraph some of the traps more fairly and I think it'll be cool!

(Sorry if my write up seems harsh. I work in software qa so... if it is cold and emotionless it's nothing personal!)

No worries, I appritiate you taking the time to play and feed back. The idea behind the intro section was that I wanted the player to have to jump to stop the shell before using it again on each of the three sections with the progression being the third raised bed. Then you could forget about those shells until the next block breaking sections.

The three blocks in a row were put there to make sure you had enough blocks should you run out, but was more a relic of the previous version of that level where the blocks would have run off screen.

I haven't quite got around how the pipes work, as I guess I knew that the big she'll needed to go to the left first, so I didn't encounter a problem there but can now see why this would be an issues.

That pit is a bit harsh, I did look for an arrow to try to telegraph this but couldn't find one, maybe I could use coins to suggest a path.

As for the propeller cap, in an ideal run through you grab the turtle shell and carry it on to the bouncing Koopa section to knock out the last lot of blocks negating the need to ever find the propellant cap ( I put that there in case people messed up the turtle bouncing).

It's interesting that when designing the levels you now what you need to do but people who play it don't and I think I need to consider that more next time.

Thanks for playing though, that was really helpful feedback.

XaosWolf

I'll set this in spoiler tags JUST IN CASE OF FEELINGS:

UP -
Every non-Mario character has a little pose and sound effect when you press up whilst playing.

Angry Mario -
If Mario gets blocked from reaching the exit door, he'll eventually stop and crouch with an annoyed expression. (Angry eyes)

Stoze

From reading the FAQ and user posts im still confused as to what exactly I'll have to do to unlock all the content but I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Basically keep placing down a shit ton of blocks down in create mode, including the items you unlock as you go. If you're slowly making a level with not a lot of blocks or objects, it could take hours to unlock the first set.

Detailed info from the patch thread;

After you get the message that new content will be delivered the next day just put down a ton of stuff. (You might have to use all the stuff you got previously first though, not sure.) Blocks are the easiest to do this with since you can just draw them onto the screen.

Once you've placed enough and aren't putting stuff into the stage (so once you stop placing blocks if you're doing it as indicated earlier) you'll hear a truck arrive and you'll get the popup that the delivery came earlier than expected and you can try a test course or just keep working. Then queue up the next delivery by being in create mode for 5 minutes or so, then repeat until you have everything.

There's no special message that tells you that doing this will deliver the stuff early, every queue message will say it'll be delivered the next day, but it just does it automatically once you've placed enough stuff.

Protome

I made and uploaded my first stage last night. Largely using it to figure out the tools but I think it ended up alright on its own if anyone wants to check it out.
TieredLearning - D95D-0000-0012-52EB

KingBroly

Banned
Finally beat Expert 100 Mario Challenge. I skipped SO MANY terrible levels by Japanese players. There's one guy on twitch streaming a level that has a 0% completion rate. What the hell?

I am never doing that horribad crap again. Holy shit.

VandalD

Gonna go back and play a bunch of GAF levels, but here's a few of my own.

Bounce and Break - 82ED-0000-0012-941F
For some reason this one currenly has a 11% clear rate. I don't think it's too difficult.

Spiny Throwdown - 93DE-0000-0012-B927
Lots of spinies. Has a few one-ups I like the placement of that are sadly irrelevant when playing single courses.

I've made and uploaded two levels but I haven't unlocked anything besides the base stuff yet. I just want the Super Mario World set and then I'll be happy! Very frustrating.

Awesome fuckin game though.

Robin64

I love that if you slowly move the eraser towards Mario in the Create mode, he starts to sweat and shake, getting worse as you get nearer.

Big Brett

Another short result of my boredom tonight: Invasion of the Koopa Zoo.

624E-0000-0012-DB95

Critique if you like. Still only have about three shipments. Enjoying messing around quite a bit :)

Zolbrod

Also are there any more in game tutorials beyond the beginning part? That was super brief was expecting a bit more hand holding before they let you go fully on your own. Where do you find the packed in levels too?

The packed-in levels are in the 10 Mario challenges.

Does the sublevel have to be unlocked or can you access it out of the gate?

Regular "outside" levels and underground levels for both the original SMB and NSMBU are available right out of the gate. You get only a very limited tileset though.

Svafnir

I'm putting it very mildly by asking you that you do know that's saying a lot yes

Yes. It's nostalgia mixed with early love for this game. It's just so perfect. Super Mario World your favorite game ever? Will this is that plus more.

Also. I somehow made my entire UI and screen into that "Classic retro giant mario look" it happened during a glitch when trying to load a level. Now I am permanently stuck in that weird old CRT look.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom