• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jholmes

OK GAF, I've been quiet and tried to let my new levels speak for themselves. The result has been basically no plays and no stars. So I'm going to take any levels you give me for the next while and play them and provide feedback. All I ask is you try one of these levels:

Thwomp Romp (32D5-0000-007E-3417)
The Underground Glass House (635F-0000-007C-7C7D)
The Harrowing Haunted Hallway (2462-0000-007A-63EA)

And any others on my profile that might interest you is fine.

Also, if your level somehow involves the Toronto Blue Jays, I promise to play it twice.

ohNOitsRO

Ok guys I finished Game and Watch Gallery 2

Overall easier than the first one I think but still fun!
Please let me know what you guys think!
B764-0000-0080-912C

Also in case you didn't see the first one:

Alright I tweaked the Game and Watch Gallery stage I made:

6A2E-0000-0080-5FFE

I tweaked the oil panic part, it's much much easier now and made the manhole part a little shorter so the wait isn't as bad for the turtle. I also added coins to the octopus part because the whole point of the original was to dodge the octopus and steal it's treasure xD

Any feedback is so fucking appreciated you don't even know

Jimrpg

Finally received this in the post yesterday... took two weeks to get to where I am and had a go last night.

I'm glad they got rid of the per day unlocking thing, because that would have taken way too long. Completely lost track of time and stayed up way past my bed time. The creation aspect is perfect, everything is so fast and snappy. Everything around the creator is really bare bones. The 10 mario challenge is a bit disappointing... some of the levels are really short and just show off a mechanic/gimmick. I knew that going in, but its disappointing regardless.

I would have liked them to create a 2D mario campaign to complement the course maker, even if it weren't as long although I kinda understand why so players could focus on creation and playing other people's courses.

My goal is to create something simple for my 2 year old to play. She hasn't been able to play anything yet aside from some apps for toddlers on the ipad. I must say its really difficult to create something simple and engaging and without the screen looking empty.

Platy

Good luck !

Try to use the background platforms and lots of diferent blocks (remember : try to make the floor as even as possible)

Also .. I have some doubts ...

Is there a way to make things faster when they are on tracks ?
Those turtles are too slow for what I want =/

Good luck !

Try to use the background platforms and lots of diferent blocks (remember : try to make the floor as even as possible)

Also .. I have some doubts ...

Is there a way to make things faster when they are on tracks ?
Those turtles are too slow for what I want =/

Wings help a bunch but the only super fast thing is the blue skull platform

Core Zero

I submitted my votes for Group 2 of the contest, though unfortunately I don't have notes for individual levels this time around. I've been using a scoring system to vote for levels, and I will say that the second group averaged a good bit higher in my system than the first group, so good job everyone.

Playing through these levels (and making my own) I've come to realize just how hard it is to come up with 1-1 levels that are still enjoyable all around, even for a more veteran player. I've also been impressed with some of the more out-of-the-box levels that still felt like they fit the criteria, makes me wish I had been more creative with my own.

I do wonder if other people create levels they end up not uploading, and what percentage that is. After uploading a streak of levels I thought was pretty good, the last few I've done I just felt haven't been quite good enough to be worth uploading. I've been feeling a bit of a designing block and haven't had the same spark since I got the game, hopefully something comes to me soon, I just got my 50-star medal so now I have like 15 slots to fill...

☆-4 Castillo de Bowser (498C-0000-0080-66B9)
supermariomakerscreenn0lxx.png

Other levels - https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Oni_Link/posts

jholmes

OK since literally no one took me up on my offer I did a whole page of levels anyway. I see just about everyone who posted today has had like no plays at all. Does nobody play levels anymore?

A tribute to Tom Nook and his monopoly on interior designing (from Animal Crossing, of course): 

Tom Nook's Odd House Inspection

(96C0-0000-0080-479A)

A classic platforming level with some tricky parts. Please let me know what you think!

Today I learned that when you play as Tom Nook, if you press up he basically takes his clothes off. I can't say it felt like this level felt like Animal Crossing, but it was fun. I think the note blocks below the spikes was a very poor choice, I always took a hit there and I don't know what the purpose was -- to slow the player down? I also don't like you giving the player a star right before a shoe you basically need, it's too easy to have star power and just blast past the shoe.

Here is the level if anyone wants to enjoy it, two paths, one focuses on jumps, the other on patience. I wish Skulls could be longer but oh well, that made the level more chaotic. Enjoy!

Jumping Crusade: E589-0000-0080-46FB

WVW69icK8UcdUWduGE

It's tough but the jumps are doable and it feels great to pull this off. Maybe it could be a little more polished as it's not the prettiest level, but I really liked it!

WVW69icIBNIOOOF18x

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - 106F-0000-007F-7AFD

- It's New Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)! A brand new Mario 1 NES level but with a NSMB2-styled all gold everything is the important part theme. Collect as many coins as you can find!

Clever and fun! I sort of wish the subarea was mandatory. Sorta wish Mario wearing the question block was in here. Captures the constant coin grabbing of the actual game. Maybe a little empty otherwise but the gimmick is fun! This level needs more attention, just three playthroughs is criminal.

Soaring Spike Top Fleet
0FB0-0000-0080-6B56
Difficulty 2.5/5?  
(Last stage of world two of a full campaign I am working on)

A fairly short but interesting airship scrolling level.

Whether you want someone to fight the Magikoopas or not, when you cram them in that tight that's what people will do. They box you in immediately so I'm guessing everyone will be like me and only beat this by stealing a clown car.

This level starts out way too hectic, the spikes come immediately on the first two jumps, smacking you around when you can't see them well just as you're getting your bearings. I'd give the player a couple of free jumps there. Otherwise this was quite good. I liked the blue spikes being treated as bullets, very nice touch. Well laid out and chaotic but fair for the most part.

The Maze Beyond:  6A64-0000-0080-4B6C

sngKe0D.jpg

Difficulty: Medium to hard

I don't like maze levels but I thought the first half was tough but clever. The half with the cape, with stuff like the giant row of plants below buzzsaws, wore out its welcome though. I felt like I had already proven my stuff and at that point the stage felt a bit tedious. Everything here is smart and well placed though so maze fans might really dig it. It's not easy though!

Hotfoot in Mount Fire Flower

(EF39-0000-0080-79F2)

WVW69icMKtEp5Fuq-I

Unpopular opinion time: I don't think this level is a slam dunk. When the volcano erupts (really cool effect, by the way), stuff falls at Mario seemingly at random from offscreen. When Mario's in the volcano, most of the platforming is right against the lava so stuff can emerge, potentially unseen, or Mario can interact with things the player doesn't fully realize is there. Music blocks for that sort of platforming in particular seems unfair.

That said it's a really good looking level with a clever signature effect and a big Metroid moment so don't mind my criticism, the rest of the world is going to eat this up.

Ok guys I finished Game and Watch Gallery 2

Overall easier than the first one I think but still fun!
Please let me know what you guys think!
B764-0000-0080-912C

Chef is actually really easy to screw up and permanently lose if you can't knock over the koopa in two hits on any one block. So that's a bug issue. But I liked it, the first title card is much smaller but looks better, which is appreciated, and Donkey Kong is a surprisingly fun and appropriate take. People need to try these levels already!

☆-4 Castillo de Bowser (498C-0000-0080-66B9)
supermariomakerscreenn0lxx.png

Other levels - https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Oni_Link/posts

Tough but fun! Two big issues though: one, and I've said this before, but having a lift along the lava with podobos coming up is unnecessary and unfun, and putting coins up as a warning doesn't change the fact that the player doesn't have time to react. Second, the fight with Bowser is awesome, so long as you have a fire flower. Otherwise, because he's big and because of the fireballs below, running over him and jumping over him are both nearly impossible. Otherwise this was good, you moved Mario from up to down without it ever feeling unfair, and I was also moving. I had fun.

What was with that subarea though? Didn't get the point of the star at all.

Neki

I notice that too when I go on a playing spree, all the levels on most page have barely any plays. Seems like most people come in and dump levels and don't play anything else, really discouraging to see really. :(

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I notice that too when I go on a playing spree, all the levels on most page have barely any plays. Seems like most people come in and dump levels and don't play anything else, really discouraging to see really. :(

Yeah that's the discouraging aspect of this game to me. I've posted my stage or two on NeoGAF here and have only gotten very little replies. People just post their levels here and bail. Meanwhile, I've been streaming NeoGAF levels and having a ton of fun playing them. If only people will enjoy my stages :( Next time I stream, I'm probably going to only play stages if the designer is present in the chat as well. It's more fun that way for the designer to see his/her stages played.

KeRaSh

I'm trying to come up with ideas to make a fun ice level, and every time I mention "ice levels" to people they make this face. Do people really hate ice levels that much? :p Also, is it more or less hated than underwater levels?

I like fair ice levels. Send me a PM with the code once you are finished with it.
I might do one too but will probably make a castle stage first. Maybe I can combine the two. I'll see if I can come up with something.

Bet that pipe goes some place real nice and warm. <3

pU61mZo.gif

danmaku (B75F-0000-0080-7CB6)

I'll give it a try!

Neki

Yeah that's the discouraging aspect of this game to me. I've posted my stage or two on NeoGAF here and have only gotten very little replies. People just post their levels here and bail. Meanwhile, I've been streaming NeoGAF levels and having a ton of fun playing them. If only people will enjoy my stages :( Next time I stream, I'm probably going to only play stages if the designer is present in the chat as well. It's more fun that way for the designer to see his/her stages played.
Usually I catch an archive but that's totally fair. It's hard to get motivated when you post levels and no one seems to care. It sucks because most of the discussion has to be sifted through by going past all the levels. Creating is fun, but so is playing. We need like a weekly contest or something.

I hope you guys are using the Following functionality in the game to follow people who make good levels. I've been making efforts to use it more and more so I can open up the "Following" list and find good levels from good people in the community.

OK since literally no one took me up on my offer I did a whole page of levels anyway. I see just about everyone who posted today has had like no plays at all. Does nobody play levels anymore?
It doesn't seem like it, huh?
A lot of people seem to post their levels and then disappear.

Definitely. I've been trying to give back to the community via my livestreams and (hopefully) net some plays of my own levels in return, but overall it's been pretty disappointing.

I love your stages :) I've held off on playing your latest stage only because I want to play it first on my next livestream.

I really wish there were a better way of (a) tracking good GAF levels and (b) tracking good GAF members who are contributing to the community by playing other levels. I feel like I know a few people here where I'll play their levels straight off, but it's too bad seeing so much clutter from people that only want to take and never give.

Usually I catch an archive but that's totally fair. It's hard to get motivated when you post levels and no one seems to care. It sucks because most of the discussion has to be sifted through by going past all the levels. Creating is fun, but so is playing. We need like a weekly contest or something.
I think the unfortunate thing about contests (and this community overall) is supply is FAR outstripping demand. I didn't participate in the 1-1 competition simply because if I participated I'd want to make sure I played every level, and I wasn't sure I'd have time to give them all the attention they deserved -- not because I didn't want to play them, but there were so damn many, and I wasn't sure of my schedule.

Having a weekly competition I feel like would only exacerbate the problem by people posting a million levels without playing them.

I'm currently thinking about a way to rate other players on how much feedback they've given or how much they've given back to the community, in a way to hopefully encourage more playing of levels.

choodi

Banned

I have a 3 day weekend coming up, so if you want me to play your levels and give some feedback, PM me your best 1 or 2 levels and I'll have a go at them in the next few days.

This is an open invitation, not just for Neki.

My other plan is to go through the spreadsheet of unquoted levels and start playing from the top. I might even record a few and upload to YouTube.

Neki

I'm a slow content producer, I usually work on a stage for a couple of hours, and then play GAF levels, then go back to my stage or think about cool ideas. Some people just churn out those stages, I'm definitely jealous for stars lol.

BowieZ

Banned
I hope you guys are using the Following functionality in the game to follow people who make good levels. I've been making efforts to use it more and more so I can open up the "Following" list and find good levels from good people in the community.

Definitely. I've been trying to give back to the community via my livestreams and (hopefully) net some plays of my own levels in return, but overall it's been pretty disappointing.

I love your stages :) I've held off on playing your latest stage only because I want to play it first on my next livestream.

I really wish there were a better way of (a) tracking good GAF levels and (b) tracking good GAF members who are contributing to the community by playing other levels. I feel like I know a few people here where I'll play their levels straight off, but it's too bad seeing so much clutter from people that only want to take and never give.

I think the unfortunate thing about contests (and this community overall) is supply is FAR outstripping demand. I didn't participate in the 1-1 competition simply because if I participated I'd want to make sure I played every level, and I wasn't sure I'd have time to give them all the attention they deserved -- not because I didn't want to play them, but there were so damn many, and I wasn't sure of my schedule.

Having a weekly competition I feel like would only exacerbate the problem by people posting a million levels without playing them.

I'm currently thinking about a way to rate other players on how much feedback they've given or how much they've given back to the community, in a way to hopefully encourage more playing of levels.
Personally, level designing takes a LOT out of me. I spend a good 10-15 hours designing each level, spanning at least 3 days of contemplation, playtesting, editing... I just don't have any energy (or time) to play too many other levels.

You're so right in that supply is outstripping demand; as I've suggested a few times, very soon when the initial sales drop Nintendo should sell Course World separately for like $10. Maybe there should be medals for playing and completing levels too, not just designing.

It really is discouraging to see so many unplayed levels. I haven't been able to play Mario Maker for a while because of classes and work. When I do, I make sure I play GAF levels and I have already followed a few members. I'm sorry I haven't left feedback, but since my computer is in another room, I usually just browse the thread with my phone and input levels from there. When I'm away from home, I even screenshot codes of levels that I want to check out once I get home. I don't really post in the thread because formatting a post with a lot of quotes is just a pain, but I'll make a better effort to give feedback in the future whenever I have time to play.

Honestly I don't even post my levels in the thread anymore because for one I think it's unfair since I haven't posted my thoughts on other levels, and second, I don't even think my level will be noticed. I definitely think that leaving feedback for another level should be a requirement to post a level of your own.

Arkain

I played Sawblade Bridge. Actually a very solid level. You did a good job. Not particularly difficult and it was a solid length. I think one thing you need to be careful with is starting levels already elevated. Because of the way the screen scrolls in this game panning amd seeing obstacles can be difficult. There is one point on the first section where the screen pan creates an unseeable jump. In general just try to be cautious of situations like that. I really like the type of level you created. Will play more of your levels :)

Edit: You know its a damn shame more people aren't playing your levels. They are actually quite good. I really really liked Destroy The Sunken Frigate. Its a tad too long but I really think its a superbly crafted level in difficulty, theme and fun. Good job man. Keep on keeping on.
Will do! I expect feedback from you in exchange! :)
Starred! Finished it on my first try. No complaints, the obstacles are indicated well. A bit too short though.!

Thanks for the feedback!. Sawblade Bridge was a bit too short for my liking too, I was surprised how quickly I reached the end of the stage when building the rails. I could try making a longer one using sub-zones in the future. And I'll take a look at that unseeable jump. I tried to avoid vertical scrolling as much as possible, another reason why the tracks aren't too long. They should really improve on the verticallity of levels in a future patch.

I'm glad you liked "Destroy the Sunken Frigate" too. That took a long time to make.

I'll play some of both your levels later today!

Made a gif of my latest level "The Cake Is A LIE" (B7C1-0000-0079-1C90)

the_cake_is_a_lie.gif

I'm not thrilled that I forgot to update the level's "working title" before uploading it (It should be "Free Cake!", but I'm too lazy to delete and re-upload :p) Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you guys gave it a try!

KeRaSh

I only send streamers my codes when I'm able to watch the stream live. I'm not doing it for the stars, although it's always nice when the streamer give me one. I do it because it's the only chance for me to actually see someone play my level and get feedback from it. I want to be there so I can drop hints in the chat so the streamer doesn't get frustrated.

It's always fun to see someone ignore the hints that you've dropped in a level and finish it in a way that you haven't anticipated.

I also scavenge this thread and send myself emails with level codes so I can play them in the evening. I don't always remember the person who posted the individual code so I can't give feedback here but I usually drop them a comment ingame.

Currently I'm sitting on 9 levels that I've created and for the past week I've not been able to create a new stage because I've been busy playing GAF levels during the limited time I have to play. I don't mind it, though. Most GAF stages are very good and that's what half of the game is about. Find new and unique levels that Nintendo would never make. I love it.
Tonight I might finally sit down and create a new stage since my wife is out of town. :p

Any streamer who streams my level can send me a PM with one of their codes and I will gladly check out most of their levels whenever I have time.

Neki (I think?) played three of my stages yesterday and I really enjoyed watching him have a go at them. I knew my stages were pretty short but I always thought I'd finish them so quickly because I know the layout pretty well. Turns out my stages are way too short and I will work on that with my next stage. That's feedback that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get and I really appreciate it.

To all GAF streamers: Keep up the good work!

Tough but fun! Two big issues though: one, and I've said this before, but having a lift along the lava with podobos coming up is unnecessary and unfun, and putting coins up as a warning doesn't change the fact that the player doesn't have time to react. Second, the fight with Bowser is awesome, so long as you have a fire flower. Otherwise, because he's big and because of the fireballs below, running over him and jumping over him are both nearly impossible. Otherwise this was good, you moved Mario from up to down without it ever feeling unfair, and I was also moving. I had fun.

What was with that subarea though? Didn't get the point of the star at all.

I put the coins there as a marker for where the lava balls come up. You can see where the lava balls are before jumping on the raft. You even have a flower to get right before that, so you have plenty of time to see them. It's not like you have no warning. I don't think it's that hard to avoid standing under the coins for a second. You just have to slow down and think about what you have to do before jumping on. It's not about reacting to the lava balls, they're coming from right under you, it's about planning ahead.

There's a few ways to go under Giga Bowser. You can wait for him to do his high jump, which he telegraphs by crouching for a second, you can run under him during one of his regular jumps as small Mario, and you can slide under a regular jump as Super Mario. I know the lava balls make it harder, but you have a few options. I don't think you can normally jump over a Giga Bowser, but it's pretty easy if you have Yoshi.

supermariomakerscreen8hzmm.png

The star makes long jumps a lot easier. Ive been sort of using sub areas as a way for less skilled players to get around some of the harder parts my levels, so the star nerfs the long jumping in that area, if someone is having trouble with that too.

correojon

Thanks for the honest advice!

It's really interesting how playing your own levels is completely different from playing others. I honestly really like my frustrating thwomp level, so I'll prob redesign the other one first, as to me its flaws are more apparent.

however,I'll likely redesign both levels when I have time. I've favorited who I believe you are, and will give your levels a go.
Glad you took the critics so nicely, when you redesign the levels drop me a line and I´ll take a look at them. And thanks for trying my levels, please don´t hold back on the critics ;)

Ok I've reworked 50% of Planet 1-2! Here's V3! This time with mushrooms. I aim around 10% completion rate. Tell me how the difficulty is like now. Thanks!

Code: 581D-0000-007F-C2BE

bYgmjHp.jpg

It's very polished now! Quite proud of it!
The level is much better now, it feels more like a full fledged SMW level rather than a series of independent challenges, which the previous iterations sometimes gave a feeling of. Note that it wasn´t a bad course before, but now it´s much, much better.
The level´s main mechanic has shifted from "Thwomps on springs" to "slide and duck on ice" and it´s much better this way, you are presenting the mechanic nicely and using it through the level to advance in cool ways. I specially liked the part where you have to run under a line of Thwomps, then crouch to avoid a wall, then get up and continue running to jump again. Even if you couldn´t see the whole challenge before attempting it, everything was perfectly communicated in the challenge itself with enough anticipation and very intelligent use of coins and arrows.

I once got stuck because I lost the spike helmet and accidentally hit the one falling from the pipe, so it started rebounding and I had no way of stopping it and putting it on :( It was a very accidental series of events involving some frames of invulnerability by just being hit by a nearby Thwomp so it won´t happen much, but maybe you could reorganize a bit the part with the shell and the spike tube as I see some other players have also encountered problems there.

Oh and I found a hidden vine early on in the level but it didn´t take me anywhere.

In conclusion: very nice level and the best version of Planets 1-2 by far.

Thanks for the reviews!

The level is definitely more enjoyable! Even if it's a bit on the easy side (too much powerups/checkpoints?), for the first entry of a series it introduces the gameplay mechanics way more gently.
Thanks! It´s really hard to hit that sweet difficulty spot, I either end up making the level too hard or too easy :S Anyway, I think I won´t be updating this level anymore, right now it seems to be getting great reception (my best star/players ratio at the moment) and as it´s the first in the trilogy I think it´s not bad for it to be on the easy side. I will consider this for the overhaul of the other 2 entries, however.

Neki

I only send streamers my codes when I'm able to watch the stream live. I'm not doing it for the stars, although it's always nice when the streamer give me one. I do it because it's the only chance for me to actually see someone play my level and get feedback from it. I want to be there so I can drop hints in the chat so the streamer doesn't get frustrated.

It's always fun to see someone ignore the hints that you've dropped in a level and finish it in a way that you haven't anticipated.

I also scavenge this thread and send myself emails with level codes so I can play them in the evening. I don't always remember the person who posted the individual code so I can't give feedback here but I usually drop them a comment ingame.

Currently I'm sitting on 9 levels that I've created and for the past week I've not been able to create a new stage because I've been busy playing GAF levels during the limited time I have to play. I don't mind it, though. Most GAF stages are very good and that's what half of the game is about. Find new and unique levels that Nintendo would never make. I love it.
Tonight I might finally sit down and create a new stage since my wife is out of town. :p

Any streamer who streams my level can send me a PM with one of their codes and I will gladly check out most of their levels whenever I have time.

Neki (I think?) played three of my stages yesterday and I really enjoyed watching him have a go at them. I knew my stages were pretty short but I always thought I'd finish them so quickly because I know the layout pretty well. Turns out my stages are way too short and I will work on that with my next stage. That's feedback that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get and I really appreciate it.

To all GAF streamers: Keep up the good work!

Lol I do not stream, I wish I did though. Feedback is always great for everyone though. We're all busy people, we can't play every stage but we can try at least. I'd like people to post feedback before they post a level, but that'd be impossible to enforce. Streamers are a godsend though, agree on that.

While I was too busy to make more levels, my brother came up with these 2 mindfuckeries:

0110-0000-007E-7363 - A Koopa Clown Copter level with two possible paths. Some pretty tight jumping and flying challenges.

8E5E-0000-0071-FD76 - A level full of springs, where you are a spring yourself. A real mess, but it's fun.

Give them a try!

Also, don't forget to play my own level:

mario%20ace%20attorney%20pubbl%20copia_zpsbtaltmf3.png

Now I'll finally begin work on my next level. Also I have lots of GAF levels yet to play! Let's begin!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, creating a level can take a lot of time, especially if you try to improve and to consider the feedback you received and the other levels' stats. Just as an example...my latest level took the most by far (working on it for 2-3 days I think) because I tried to refine it over and over to make it easier while still challening or to make everything work as I wanted (I had to redo an entire part of my level because I saw it had some major problems). The level I'm currently making is taking quite a lot as well, since it's my attempt in creating a 1-1 and I want it to get it as right as possible, but now it's basically over. I just need to see the best way to present it over here.

Long short story: if you try to make good levels/multi-layered levels, you need time to get it right after all.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Yeah ! Looking forward to your next stream ! Definitely want to see how you tackle my Chain Chomp Palace :) but you've already seen my video play through so it might be too easy for a pro like you now ;) I actually really enjoy a couple of the GAF streamers here who play Mario Maker. Good attitude and not always yelling at the mic like other random streamers I find. So I send them my code and chill at their stream in the meantime because it's fun while waiting for my stage to be played. I need to do another Mario Maker stream again for sure myself as well ! I've seen some good quality stages made by GAFers here while watch other GAF streaming.

Right now I'm not trying to make a lot of stages because I want to really take my time with each stage. I spend a few hours on each of my stages for sure. I have only 5 stages uploaded so far and I have 20 available slots. Will see if I ever fill those up but I really want to focus on quality over quantity myself. I need to be inspired by certain stage ideas or whatever first then I go nuts making the stage. Right now I'm focused on editing my existing stages after receiving feedback from others to make improvement.

Love your Rosalina "Positive Attitude" stage haha. She is now dubbed Positina :D YAY

I have been slowly working my way through everyone's stages here and finishing what I can. Reached page 20, what I found out is that more people should use the comment thing in the game because once you do comment, it gives an automatic star and I think Nintendo purposefully did that so you could gain easy stars. What I also found out is people rarely use it which is a shame because it seems like an easy way to get stars unless your level is insanely, Miyamoto level good.

I myself haven't made any level yet but I will much later. For now I'm only interested in playing levels, giving feedback and unlocking shit. I comment on every level I finish so you don't have to worry about that. My Nintendo ID is in my profile page and I'm l Metal Head l on Miiverse.

ciD_Vain

Here are my latest levels. I'll play some GAF levels in a bit after my gamepad charges.

Crystal Countdown Cavern
2BC8-0000-0080-CCA6

An underground level that somewhat revolves around the P-Switch. Includes a secret room and 3 hidden 1-Ups to find!

Dry Bones Manor
3EEB-0000-007E-4EAD

Explore and discover what lurks high above the mysterious Dry Bones Manor! Includes 3 hidden 1-Ups!

R00bot

Hello everyone, I'll be playing GAF levels for the next half an hour or so.

While I'm playing YOUR levels, why don't you try playing one of MY levels.

Coin Garden Peaks
9124-0000-0080-B43A

I put a lot of effort into making this one chock full of secrets, beauty, and of course, coins! Almost every interaction you have can lead to another secret being found, even just jumping on a koopa's head and sending their shell off flying will usually lead to something special.
I put a ton of effort into the visuals of this level, while keeping it fun, rewarding, with just enough difficulty. It's chock full of secrets too. I actually ran into the limit of semi-solid platforms and vines from making it all pretty.

WVW69icM1_kfIJsLdw

correojon

Yeah, creating a level can take a lot of time, especially if you try to improve and to consider the feedback you received and the other levels' stats. Just as an example...my latest level took the most by far (working on it for 2-3 days I think) because I tried to refine it over and over to make it easier while still challening or to make everything work as I wanted (I had to redo an entire part of my level because I saw it had some major problems). The level I'm currently making is taking quite a lot as well, since it's my attempt in creating a 1-1 and I want it to get it as right as possible, but now it's basically over. I just need to see the best way to present it over here.

Long short story: if you try to make good levels/multi-layered levels, you need time to get it right after all.
With my latest levels I´ve managed to finish the main layout in around 2 or 3 hours. But then I´ve spent even more time polishing little things here and there or even redesigning complete sections after some playthroughs. Once I think I have it, I´ve decided to let the level sit for a day. On that day I would play levels form other people, start new levels or make little experiments in the editor. Then the next day I give the finished level a full playthrough and I always find more things that need to be changed, sometimes discovering big obvious mistakes. It´s my way of implementing the "a rushed game will always be bad, but a delayed game will eventually become good" sacred teaching :)

cyba89

I'm guilty of playing not too many GAF levels.
It's mostly because I'm not sitting at my PC when I play so it's either browsing GAF on mobile searching for interesting levels and inputting the codes, or just take the easy route and play a bunch of levels in 100 Mario mode. I often take the easier route. I know it's dumb because the average quality is much worse.

I thought about how I could get myself to play more GAF levels and found a pretty good solution. I just create a document in my Google Drive and when I'm browsing this thread on PC I copy every level code that interests me in there. That's what I'm already doing for the contest entries and it's just way easier to access for me.

Currently have some time to kill so I will try out all the levels on this page now.

Honestly I took a break of making just to play levels (and not those on the 100-mario of course). I do think I should make proper posts with feedback about it but I usually write down a list to play when I'm not on the computer and I'm not that into using Miiverse.

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm guilty of playing not too many GAF levels.
It's mostly because I'm not sitting at my PC when I play so it's either browsing GAF on mobile searching for interesting levels and inputting the codes, or just take the easy route and play a bunch of levels in 100 Mario mode. I often take the easier route. I know it's dumb because the average quality is much worse.

I thought about how I could get myself to play more GAF levels and found a pretty good solution. I just create a document in my Google Drive and when I'm browsing this thread on PC I copy every level code that interests me in there. That's what I'm already doing for the contest entries and it's just way easier to access for me.

Currently have some time to kill so I will try out all the levels on this page now.

If you have some time, try mine please. GAFers helped me identify two spots that are a bit cumbersome and that I need to fix but it should be fine 90% of the time.
Thanks!

Ok I've reworked 50% of Planet 1-2! Here's V3! This time with mushrooms. I aim around 10% completion rate. Tell me how the difficulty is like now. Thanks!

Code: 581D-0000-007F-C2BE

bYgmjHp.jpg

It's very polished now! Quite proud of it!

KeRaSh

Lol I do not stream, I wish I did though. Feedback is always great for everyone though. We're all busy people, we can't play every stage but we can try at least. I'd like people to post feedback before they post a level, but that'd be impossible to enforce. Streamers are a godsend though, agree on that.

Ah crap. I just checked and the Twitch username is Naar82. My bad, haha!

CrisKre

I am EXTREMELY proud of this level and would love to know what you guys think.

WVW69icNpMooQ2Vv4W

Bowsers shoe factory mahem! (7A36-0000-0080-F169)

Mario goes deep into bowsers latest hideout where his ultimate creation is being produced: SHOES!
Navegate this misterious castle and face a meneacing, powerful boss with an unlikely weapon.

Personally, I don't always post feedback on GAF but I follow anyone who has made one stage that I enjoyed. I also try to play every stage in any livestream that I put my stages forward for and star / comment when possible (i.e. If I have the skillz to finish them).

Personally, level designing takes a LOT out of me. I spend a good 10-15 hours designing each level, spanning at least 3 days of contemplation, playtesting, editing... I just don't have any energy (or time) to play too many other levels.

You're so right in that supply is outstripping demand; as I've suggested a few times, very soon when the initial sales drop Nintendo should sell Course World separately for like $10. Maybe there should be medals for playing and completing levels too, not just designing.

Yeah, I hear you on the level design strain. I really put a lot into my levels, and each one takes me pretty much a week. It's why I've only really published two levels (not counting the first one which was just wall jumps slapped together to see how uploading worked).

Hell, tonight I spent two and a half hours starting a level that I'm completely going to scrap tomorrow because it wasn't working the way I wanted.

I just know that after all that hard work, you really want somebody to play your damn levels XD And it's a good idea to play other people's levels to recharge as well.

Yeah ! Looking forward to your next stream ! Definitely want to see how you tackle my Chain Chomp Palace :) but you've already seen my video play through so it might be too easy for a pro like you now ;)

Haha, the pressure's on! I only watched that video once so I don't even remember how you got through it, I just remember thinking, "oh my god I'm gonna die so many times!"

Thud

I played your stage. Damn fire bars D:

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Feedback-time again!

Heaven's Keep (887A-0000-007F-C5A0)

Very interesting level, especially for the map,
given the interconnection betwen the different layers
. The lack of enemies and the (overall) easy platforming makes it a bit too easy. Still, a good idea with a decent execution.

Sunken Airship (2053 0000 0012 5786)

Great concept, great execution. It looks great, it plays great, it's challenging and
nice secrets too. Especially the second pipe leading to the other 1Up, which you can reach only by using Bullet Bills. Minor nitpick: I would've put a - small even - secret path, not just bons areas...still, minor nitpick.
. Great job.

Zone Of The Warp Zone: 57FC-0000-007F-58BE

That was surely creative and challenging. I liked it, good flow too.

Molemans little Castle
1677-0000-007F-D010

Quite though...maybe
fire and fire bars and lava all together is a bit too much, I had to resort to the invincibility frames. The same for Twhomps, the first one will inevitbly hit you anyway
. Slightly less enjoyable than I wanted it to be.

Indiana Mario & Temple Of Boos: F0D8-0000-007F-7F8A

Short,but nice homage. Neat.

Pipes, Springs, and Koopas! Oh My!
23FE-0000-0078-6937

Fun. A bit too short, but there was some challenge. It was enjoyable.

Plumbers Can Surf.... right?: 3637-0000-004F-F457

Experimental. I tried something like that in another level, including some sort-of-falling sections too. The final ride was quite fun, and the first part was solid enough. Not a bad job.

Don't Push the Button - F877-0000-002C-EE1D

Well, at first I didn't press it, then I was already at the pole and I thought "That's it?? No, let's replay it and push that button". Oh man, no one should push the button, NO ONE. It's a sort-of-trollish level, it's neat for what it is.

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Ah, just at the end I got what the Starry Sky was referring to. It was fun, a good challenge, nicely paced. Good enough.

Another Toad in the Wall (F3C2-0000-0080-207D)

Interesting and fun puzzle level. Quite a cool idea.

Soaring Spike Top Fleet
0FB0-0000-0080-6B56

A nice autoscrolling level, challenging but fair. Good job.

Thwomp Romp (32D5-0000-007E-3417)

It was neat and it flows well enough. I'll play it again for the 20 seconds challenge in the future.

That's it for now.

Azure Dream - 1-1 Summer Stroll
Pretty good. This actually taught me that a Spiny helm can break ice blocks. The floating platforms ended up spawning in sync for me which made the jump between them more difficult than it should be, but that probably wasn't by design.

Not by design, no. It came up in testing, but only occasionally. Really wish there was a mechanic to sync up sets of platforms so if one is active, they all are.

Simbabbad

Now for a level I played from this thread

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BBrinstar.png

I played the Brinstar level and I beat it on my 4th or 5th try. I'll try to play your other levels tomorrow. The Brinstar level was fun, and has a huge nostalgia factor for me. One bit of critique though: it's a very good Metroidvania-style level, but because it's a Mario game and you actually lose power-ups when you get hit, the room with the erratically moving green flying Koopas was a nightmare. Anywhere else, when you got hit, it was simply due to bad platforming, but that room was too random for my liking.
Thanks for playing my level and for providing feedback. It's extremely valuable to me.

I'm aware of the "one hit and you lose your powerup" issue when you design Metroid levels in Super Mario Maker, and that's why the level is on the whole slow and "puzzle-y" rather than "action-y", but I wanted at least two sections with a bit more action.

In that room,
you can easily unlock a fire flower generator which quickly gets rid of the winged koopas, and in the powerup chain, it's a room you have to cross with the green flying boot or the big black flying boot, meaning you can kill the koopas in one hit and jump on the spike tops to get rid of them. I tested the room like this and found it very manageable if you're cautious. You can also cumulate the fire flower with either boot. Besides, the boots, the only powerups you have to get across the room, can be pretty easily obtained again without redoing the powerup chain (the green boot is pretty close and can be obtained again with little Mario once you've broken the brick blocks in the blue spike tops room, and the black boot can be immediately obtained again once you've got it once and have broken the metallic floor). And finally, I wanted to send the signal that this was a "late in the level" section.

I'm not explaining this to negate your remark, but to explain the process that led me to make things like this. Of course, when you don't know how everything is arranged or what you're supposed to find in the rooms, and when you're a player discovering the level, things are pretty different. The fact the game doesn't show you deaths in the "underground" areas and the general lack of feedback complicates matters, it's tough to foresee that sort of thing or to correct them quickly with an update. I'm glad this is the only area where you've met that sort of issue because I've been very careful to avoid frustration in this level (the ending section, in particular, was tested again and again to make it intimidating/exciting, but not kill the player after all he/she's been through).

The other levels are really different, even if the atmosphere still tries to stick with NES Metroid. Tourian is straight (and tough) linear action (as it should be), and Kraid follows a different style than Brinstar, it has more action but gives more ways to manage with it. I think (and hope) you won't find the same issue there. In any case, your feedback is precious to me since I'm currently designing the last level in the series, Ridley, and I want it to yet again be different from the other levels while still being very "Metroid".

daakusedo

Right now I'm focused on editing my existing stages after receiving feedback from others to make improvement.

Easing my life with the second fire bar on the palace because it's so tight.
I thought items activate when you get next to them, but there's two thing that can get unpredictable.The bob-bombs pipe, if in the right timing, there's just one dropping, then breaking a layer of blocks and I can pass with a spin, if not there's two that drop and I have to wait.
And then you have the flamewall that is sometime on or off when I arrive. I don't know if it's a thing about distance.
With these three things fixed, it's one of the more engaging speedrun level I played.
Skipping the conveyor belt part before the bob-bombs with walljumps is something.

correojon

Course inspired by Silent Hills P.T.

Course Title: Mario P.T. [Version 3]

Course Id: 88A3-0000-007D-61A2

Update: Version 3 has minor changes to the conveyor belt/bomb puzzle to prevent players from skipping the puzzle. Thank you for your feedback!

I played this level yesterday, it has some very original puzzles. I was thinking all the time that i was breaking the level and going through a secret route, while in fact I was just strolling along the path led by the designer. Awesome player guidance without being intrusive.
The atmosphere is awesome, you get the impression that something´s wrong but you can´t tell exactly what, that you are somewhere you are not supposed to be. loved it.
The puzzles are varied and require you to think outside the box, while at the same time clearly communicating on what needs to be done. Forcing the player to take a hit to solve a puzzle is something that I would usually say is a big no, but this level requires it from the start and expresses it in such an elegant way that you can´t contest the value of this mechanic. Whole parts of the level are built around this and further contribute to the atmosphere of the level, making you feel in constant danger. You may get a powerup, just to loose it moments later as a requirement to get through some spikes or reach a high ledge. Even when later in the level you are given powerful upgrades, the dangers escalate accordingly so you never feel forget that feeling of imminent peril.
Even when I had a star, I feared for my well being as the star was running out and I hadn´t taken out both Bowsers.

Spoiler section:
The boss encounters are really well done and contribute to the course´s theme: being trapped with Bowser Jr. and him following you around the course, not being a direct threat but having to keep an eye on him really helps to add even more tension and the surprise encounter with the 2 Mega Bowsers is the cherry on top. Looking at each of this boss instances separately they are really nothing special nor do they do anything unexpected (besides maybe Bowser Jr. following you around the course), but there´s something that just makes them fit so nicely in the course.

I couldn´t finish the level as I ran out of time in my best attempt and the experience was so tense that I preferred to let it rest so I didn´t become too accustomed to the atmosphere and it lost it´s power on me. This way I can experience it again fully today. I think it´s the first time in SMM where I´ve ran out of time in a level (not counting those that start with the counter at 100). Usually at this point I would have already finished the level or become bored by it, but time flies in this one.

Just one minor complaint: the conveyor belt´s puzzle takes too long: apart from the puzzle itself the mushroom uses a lot of time just running through the conveyor belt in the wrong direction, that was a bit frustrating.

Conclusion: Awesome level, very original puzzles, great atmosphere, different from any other SMM course I´ve tried, great use of bosses...The author has done an outstanding job. I would give this 2 stars if I could.

Thanks for playing my level and for providing feedback. It's extremely valuable to me.

I'm aware of the "one hit and you lose your powerup" issue when you design Metroid levels in Super Mario Maker, and that's why the level is on the whole slow and "puzzle-y" rather than "action-y", but I wanted at least two sections with a bit more action.

In that room,
you can easily unlock a fire flower generator which quickly gets rid of the winged koopas, and in the powerup chain, it's a room you have to cross with the green flying boot or the big black flying boot, meaning you can kill the koopas in one hit and jump on the spike tops to get rid of them. I tested the room like this and found it very manageable if you're cautious. You can also cumulate the fire flower with either boot. Besides, the boots, the only powerups you have to get across the room, can be pretty easily obtained again without redoing the powerup chain (the green boot is pretty close and can be obtained again with little Mario once you've broken the brick blocks in the blue spike tops room, and the black boot can be immediately obtained again once you've got it once and have broken the metallic floor). And finally, I wanted to send the signal that this was a "late in the level" section.

I'm not explaining this to negate your remark, but to explain the process that led me to make things like this. Of course, when you don't know how everything is arranged or what you're supposed to find in the rooms, and when you're a player discovering the level, things are pretty different. The fact the game doesn't show you deaths in the "underground" areas and the general lack of feedback complicates matters, it's tough to foresee that sort of thing or to correct them quickly with an update. I'm glad this is the only area where you've met that sort of issue because I've been very careful to avoid frustration in this level (the ending section, in particular, was tested again and again to make it intimidating/exciting, but not kill the player after all he/she's been through).

The other levels are really different, even if the atmosphere still tries to stick with NES Metroid. Tourian is straight (and tough) linear action (as it should be), and Kraid follows a different style than Brinstar, it has more action but gives more ways to manage with it. I think (and hope) you won't find the same issue there. In any case, your feedback is precious to me since I'm currently designing the last level in the series, Ridley, and I want it to yet again be different from the other levels while still being very "Metroid".

I didn't read any of that by y can't metroid shot would have been funnier

KingBroly

Banned
After 56:58 of play time, I have all of the Mystery Costumes except one
Builder Mario from Gnat Attack
but at least I can say that I am DONE playing 100 Mario Challenge on Expert FOREVER. I hope I never see another Lakitu throwing Bloopers or Boo Rings spawning from Coin Blocks as long as I live.

Man, I love this game. But damn if I don't hate some of the levels out there. I also hate Gnat Attack, but that's another story.

This game is Nintendo's Dark Souls, I swear. This game makes you a man. No longer can people say Nintendo only releases kiddie games, because they have not seen the terror of Super Mario Maker.

Top Bottom