• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Kebiinu

Banned
I tried your stage several times but kept dying. Dry bones and music blocks are not a good match IMO. I loved the crumbling elevator but once you're in the music box, it's all a bit messy and punishing IMO.
At least I tried ^ ^

Huh...how upsetting. Looks like I need to do some tweaking to make it less taxing. I made the stage tougher than my previous ones, but maybe that wasn't such a good idea. :(

RagnarokX

my first real attempt at a puzzle level and wanted to know if things are obvious or not

DC0B-0000-00A0-D4D7

Good course. I didn't know where to take the yoshi and spiny helmet without dying to see the pipe I missed. Clever stuff. Cleared and starred.

Thud

Hey guys, here is the archived video of my quick Twitch session yesterday playing your levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A09JV-0bpxA

Twitch names:
Tentakul - EEF4-0000-009F-25A9
Bryan_isinnappynation2 - 4D8F-0000-009A-6E30
1338h4x - 3E1E-0000-009F-C63A
sgjackson - BE40-0000-009C-D171
sgjackson - 5EA4-0000-009E-DD0E
Joerobert17 - 17EA-0000-0051-7481
Joerobert17 - BE77-0000-008D-A67C

Hope you enjoy and I will definitely be playing more levels soon ! Definitely back to full Youtube Mario Maker session for NeoGAF this friday :) Last friday I had some technical issue and other stuff so I couldn't stream Mario Maker. Anyways, this is my last week off work so I really want to be able to take advantage of that and stream more during the day ! Should be up for some Twitch streaming later during the day since I'm testing that out for fun. Once work starts again, back to regular programming I guess :)

Also, I just noticed I didn't play Thuddert's level :( I'm sorry and will definitely play that first thing next on the list :O

No worries :)

correojon

well based on what you said it seems the beginning part IS an issue :p i always thought the start would cause issues with the P switch, but didnt know how to properly convey it to the player without being too obvious about it.

either way thanks for the feedback :D!
Maybe you could remove the P-Switch and the shell from the first puzzle. The shell isn't necessary and it threw me off course for the most part, same with the P-Switch. Anyway, once I figured the solution it felt awesome.

StAidan

hmm maybe i am misunderstanding you, but by the time he posts his level and you find it on miiverse after you have played it, wouldnt it be buried and hard to find and comment on on miiverse?

Nah, you can look at your played courses history in Mario Maker and launch directly to the correct Miiverse page from there. That's how I remember doing it, anyway. That's the first time I've wanted to comment without leaving a star, lol.

Diggin' deep in the mines,
Don't get much sun!
I'm covered with s‎oil~‎
'till my workday is d‎one!
I re‎ally hate sittin'~
It's la‎bor I choose!
'cause then's the ti‎me
to do them old Moleville Blues!

I'm back with a new level, Moleville Mines! I had wanted to do a mine cart level, so I reached into Mario's past and I finally put one together. It's not too tough, so hopefully you guys enjoy!

WVW69iecsFg_Yw8v8-

4626-0000-00A3-89A6

I enjoyed it but I got frustrated and didn't finish it. I will come back to it though. It's a clever stage with an original concept but the
winged moles
did for me one too many times. Side note: I tried to post a comment "Get the HELL off of my platform!" and got an error message "Message contains forbidden word or inappropriate content". I changed it to HECK and all was good with the world :)

EDIT: Additional shoutout to timetokill for the Frozen Fleet level (or whatever it is called). Really awesome design and theming. Plays well too. Good Job sir!

RagnarokX

well based on what you said it seems the beginning part IS an issue :p i always thought the start would cause issues with the P switch, but didnt know how to properly convey it to the player without being too obvious about it.

either way thanks for the feedback :D!

Instead of giving the player a finite stack of pow blocks that they can use up you could have the pow blocks spawn from pipes in a way that they create a stack to put the idea in the player's head. Additionally you could put a powerup that they can only reach using this pre-made stack. http://imgur.com/a/bZ3gB

javadoze

This might sound like a silly question, but is the IGA in the top creators list the real deal, or just a joke account?

Regardless, his courses are some of the best I've seen out of this game and I highly recommend that whoever hasn't tried his courses do so immediately.

KooopaKid

Banned
Here goes my short impressions on the finalists:

BGBW
Nice introduction to shells. Very pleasant level layout and flow. Carefully constructed.

BowieZ
Didn't feel like a 1-1 to me, espacially in looks. Too many ennemies too for a 1-1.

Junahu
This one is just fun and playful.

Nohar
Feel like a real SMB3 course. Short and sweet if a bit too classical.

Belgian Dude
Not a fan of this one

Boba2007
The layout doesn't have a nice flow compared to others.

Kebiinu
It's the secret that did it for me :)

Dad
Very nice look and layout! The flower of love!

Nocturnowl
I liked it but a bit too heavy handed with the coins.

Sixfortyfive
Nice secret!

Robin64
Too classic for me

Sölf
Same

SuperJay
Nice, classic SMB3 style but no surprise.

So my final vote goes like this:

1) BGBW
2) Junahu
3) Dad

As you can see I have a soft spot for the SMW look ;)

Good work everyone!

kinggroin

Banned
Fire and Ice (43AF-0000-00A4-5AEA)

WVW69ief6QIB81uNyt

Fire and Ice (43AF-0000-00A4-5AEA)

Pure platforming. Practically every SMB3 ability is put to the test here. Start off in a fiery dungeon going from left to right. Finish the second half going the opposite direction in the frozen dark tundra!

Long, tough, fair. Don't play unless your raw platforming and timing skills are up to snuff.

Zero gimmicks, no fluff, minimalist design.

GOODLUCK GAF

~quote me if you play this so I can return the favor please~

kinggroin

Banned
Finally had time to make another level. Thanks to a glitch, managed to make the level I wanted to make ever since Mario Maker was released

Splatoon - Inkvisible Avenues

0363-0000-009E-B0CE

WVW69ieIE_0jfDynXo

There's no ink in Mario Maker, but other things can show you the way.

As always if you leave a comment in-game / here, I'll check out your levels in return

Greatest level.on GAF. Wow. Wowowowowow. Reminded me of the Dark Souls crystal caves section. Bravo!

RagnarokX

Lacking a bit of inspiration, I joined forces with my 10 year old to make this level:

Thanksgiving in Toytown (named by my son)
6887-0000-00A4-3BE8

He asked me to make a Lego level and something with balloons :) So we took our inspiration from that :)

MDYu5qdl.jpg

Oh, yeah. Also made this two-screen (vertical) puzzle level. If you have exactly 1 minute to kill, please give it a try. I think you guys will dig it!

Boo Buddies (3AC3-0000-009C-DCD8)

WVW69ieA3vEazj_07A

VandalD

Fire and Ice
(43AF-0000-00A4-5AEA)
Guess tonight was a bad night to try a level like this. Came away from it frustrated after reaching the ice section. I jumped right into a spiketop that was on a track off screen, and I just quit. I'm sure people into repetition and precision platforming will be into this though.

Ok, at first I thought it was going to be random chaos but I actually managed to beat it on my second try.
I'm never a big fan of canons throwing enemies but it wasn't too dangerous and unfair here.
What's with the title? It was the opposite of that, you had to be extremely careful.
I never would've thought the level would be perceived as random at first, since only certain enemies have true RNG elements (Bowser and Lakitu being the most random enemies IIRC).

And the title was just flavor. I want to get away from more literal level titles. I even omitted an exclamation point to make the sense of urgency a bit more ambiguous.

B_Bech

Alright GAF, I've been slacking off. I haven't been sharing my last couple of stages. Time to remedy that. Hope you don't mind the overload.

Star Fox: Assault
(D46B-0000-009C-2C4A)

WVW69iehbgAJvJqe9V

WVW69iehcpY5-7R6Cu

A level based on Star Fox: Assault. You'll be boarding the Arwing, flying through space, landing in Cornaria... then taking the fight to the base on foot! It's fast paced, and pretty damn cool.

Vanilla Dome - ♥

(BA6D-0000-00A0-C471)

WVW69iehWDIGkAHjTD

A level taking design inspiration from the trickier levels in Vanilla Dome. It's a bit harder than Star World... but it could also be easier. It's a level that has divergent paths and tons of secrets-- just like Super Mario World. Hopefully you'll enjoy this faithful emulation of the Vanilla Dome level design.

Kaizo Death Zone

(AED2-0000-00A1-177B)

WVW69iehZ7c4aE_-JR

Can I apologize in advance for this one? Expert difficulty stage, but entirely beatable. Inspired by I Wanna Be The Guy. Also the lengthy death song for Sonic is hilarious... which is why I made this level. :D

Banshee Boardwalk

(4E6A-0000-00A4-A8E8)

WVW69iehUb0TSAYvIi

My next entry in my Halloween series. This is essentially a stage version of the famous Mario Kart locale. It gets trickier than most ghost houses, so don't give up when things start to get weird. Should provide a good challenge, but nothing to give you a headache!

Let me know what you think, and please do give me some of your levels to play!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man they have GOT to do some DLC for this game, right? As much as I enjoy this game - it still feels incomplete.

I think this could be the very best Mario game... if it had checkpoints. The more of this I play the more "broken" it feels that we have these super long levels without check points. Imagine if New Mario U didn't have them, or 3D World. I think we would all be signing a different tune about those titles, it's that big of a deal.

I love the levels in this game, but I don't even finish 10% of them because they're too long... and there's no real "payoff" for preserving through a long level. At least in a really challenging level in a mainline Mario game, your reward is you're getting one step closer to "the end". You don't get that with this game, there is no end, there's not carrot at the end of the stick. So after playing someone's masterful creation a couple of times, I feel no reason to keep at it.

I really really think the lack of checkpoints "breaks" this game. If no one is finishing each other's creation, then what's the point? It's literally a level creator where people only play less than 50% of your creation. There's absolutely no pay off for finishing levels that are long or challenging. Having a simple check point fixes this by upping the amount of people that would actually finish a level. Again, this is all opt-in... people can still make their own levels with no check points. But to not even make that an option is insane to me.

Opinions, thoughts? Has this already been discussed to death?

Man they have GOT to do some DLC for this game, right? As much as I enjoy this game - it still feels incomplete.

I think this could be the very best Mario game... if it had checkpoints. The more of this I play the more "broken" it feels that we have these super long levels without check points. Imagine if New Mario U didn't have them, or 3D World. I think we would all be signing a different tune about those titles, it's that big of a deal.

I love the levels in this game, but I don't even finish 10% of them because they're too long... and there's no real "payoff" for preserving through a long level. At least in a really challenging level in a mainline Mario game, your reward is you're getting one step closer to "the end". You don't get that with this game, there is no end, there's not carrot at the end of the stick. So after playing someone's masterful creation a couple of times, I feel no reason to keep at it.

I really really think the lack of checkpoints "breaks" this game. If no one is finishing each other's creation, then what's the point? It's literally a level creator where people only play less than 50% of your creation. There's absolutely no pay off for finishing levels that are long or challenging. Having a simple check point fixes this by upping the amount of people that would actually finish a level. Again, this is all opt-in... people can still make their own levels with no check points. But to not even make that an option is insane to me.

Opinions, thoughts? Has this already been discussed to death?
I just want wrap-around vertical levels (hell, I'll settle for plain vertical levels). That's all I'm asking for!

Oh, and water on land levels.

Buddy of mine made a neat level with a really clever mechanic (I'm a little annoyed I didn't think of it first). Check it out!

Jail Break! (6BA1-0000-0090-600C)

WVW69idJfGg-iGJXBx

Thud

Live now on my Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/shibafan/

Come and submit levels for me to play ! Nice and easy alright you guys ? :)

You did very well with my level, enjoyed watching it. The P switch is actually the alternative way to escape the caves, in case you get hit. It does increase the risk with the two moles coming after you and you need a few coins to get up.

The doors are also possible routes, especially for people that want to cheese through with skills. Anyway you did the route I originally intended players to go through, so yay.

Naar

So a lot of people are apparently enjoying my latest level, Escape The Puzzley Mansion.

The funny thing is I really thought i would get a lot of criticism on it, especially the beginning, but overall people seem to love it and getting very positive feedback, both here and on miiverse.

I will try to make another puzzle level soon and expand upon what i learned from my current level

thanks for all the feedback and glad you are enjoying it :)

Hey all, would be great if you could give my latest ghost house a shot. Tried for a little less cryptic than my last one, but it is build to mess with you a little bit. particular inspiration was taken from the first ghost house in SMW, but i worked some branching path stuff in too.

2950456-screen+shot+2015-10-12+at+10.14.14+pm.png

Veilvine Valley

E40A-0000-00A4-F1C5

GCnNT6f.jpg

These are not ordinary vines! They are veilvines.

Something I had to do once I figured out you could trigger vine note blocks from above, without any player input. Not too tough, mostly fun to look at.

Also I did a rendition of the Star Wars Cantina Theme! D9F7-0000-00A4-7003

Haha, sorry, I didn't notice that discussion.

Hopefully this is a little different from other vine uses, I haven't seen anyone else do this yet, basically a moving "vine curtain" to hang onto for the whole level. Which moves in mysterious ways (it's alright, it's alright).

RagnarokX

Veilvine Valley

E40A-0000-00A4-F1C5

GCnNT6f.jpg

These are not ordinary vines! They are veilvines.

Something I had to do once I figured out you could trigger vine note blocks from above, without any player input. Not too tough, mostly fun to look at.

Also I did a rendition of the Star Wars Cantina Theme! D9F7-0000-00A4-7003

WVW69iejJKwCTZZYgq

Take that, Miiverse!

?oe?oe

Just Got Mario Maker and made my first level with the basic tools:

WVW69iejJVkVjXUuws

Plantorium - 8A7F-0000-00A4-FF0A

I'll be definitely checking some of your levels soon!

sgjackson

My third course: Kickin' It. Noticed someone came up with an idea in one of my other stages on how to handle hanging Chomps and decided to make a course using it as a minor theme. It's a little more basic than the last two and I'm not totally happy with the last area, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sort of feels like a World 2 or 3ish level.

Kickin' It - CE8C-0000-00A4-865A

NKdp2Lo.jpg

Just Got Mario Maker and made my first level with the basic tools:

WVW69iejJVkVjXUuws

Plantorium - 8A7F-0000-00A4-FF0A

I'll be definitely checking some of your levels soon!

Went ahead and played your level. Not bad for a first attempt - I'm big on building up themes and for a short level you escalate on an idea and put a twist on it. You could expand on this and it'd be cool.

I tend to lean towards trying to make "fairer" stuff, so things like the falling enemies at the beginning and using ceilings to make the area with the Goombas and the last jump more challenging are kinda lame to me. I also might make the initial platforming section easier - those jumps are pretty tight. A lot of this is centered on design philosophy so YMMV, obviously.

Arkain

First, you can get stuck in the yellow blocks vertical line if you spin and a mole follows you.
I died at the clown car part, jumping moles, 2 clown cars, canons everywhere, just too random for me so I quit ^ ^

At the first remark: I saw that coming, which is why I added pipes that spawn mushrooms at regular intervals. That didn't fix it then?

At the second remark: Like I said in my post, I was afraid the end was going to be too chaotic. I wanted to make a "boss encounter" with moles, but out of everything I tried, this seemed to work the best. I don't like randomness myself, but it seemed pretty easy to get through in my tests if you just run, which was the point. I tried to highlight the fact that you're supposed to run as fast as possible to the other side, by putting a lot of arrows at the entrance, but that probably wasn't clear enough either. I'll try to change the end of the level this evening.

Was the rest of the level okay, at least?

Thanks for the feedback!

?oe?oe

Went ahead and played your level. Not bad for a first attempt - I'm big on building up themes and for a short level you escalate on an idea and put a twist on it. You could expand on this and it'd be cool.

I tend to lean towards trying to make "fairer" stuff, so things like the falling enemies at the beginning and using ceilings to make the area with the Goombas and the last jump more challenging are kinda lame to me. I also might make the initial platforming section easier - those jumps are pretty tight. A lot of this is centered on design philosophy so YMMV, obviously.
Thanks for playing. Yeah I definitely know the falling Goomba is cheap hahaha. The tight Goomba section is poor I agree, but I'm not sure the last leap before the end stretch is too difficult.

The first platforming section can be done quickly if you time it right.

Cheers :)

sgjackson

Thanks for playing. Yeah I definitely know the falling Goomba is cheap hahaha. The tight Goomba section is poor I agree, but I'm not sure the last leap before the end stretch is too difficult.

The first platforming section can be done quickly if you time it right.

Cheers :)

Oh I meant the last leap in the first section - the fourth tower with the Piranha Plant. The last leap is fine - you indicated with coins so no issues there.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Heya guys ! My Twitch stream today's archive is now up and will be HD with a bit more time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeyhaWfxf8

Here are the list of stages I've played. Hope you guys all had a time during the stream and looking forward to more stages in future streams !

Thuddert - 8274-0000-0043-CBB2
ridley182 - 3A32-0000-009A-A529
Yazan2005 - D459-0000-0080-23E4
Mario_12323 - C20F-0000-002E-ED16
ArgorokX - A09A-0000-005C-23BE
ArgorokX - 1B6D-0000-00A3-FD76
Bryan_isinnappynation2 - 2133-0000-00a2-5012
ridley182 - 05F4-0000-0095-6CC0
Bryan_isinnappynation2 - BAEF-0000-00a4-885d
OniLink666 - 19D3-0000-009D-1AAE
Mario_12323 - C20F-0000-002E-ED16
Mario_12323 - F6EF-0000-0099-10D1
Izuswag - DEA0-0000-0076-0C5B
blacktiger811 - 9D67-0000-009A-1FA2
Smoov22 - 3A36-0000-00A3-E5B7
kinggroin - 43AF-0000-00A4-5AEA

Kebiinu

Banned
Reposting for the new page. Feedback would definitely be appreciated! :)

Boo's Music Box!
8oVEuXX.jpg
K6EFVKA.jpg

Mario finds himself lost in a creepy mansion somewhere within the forests of Mushroom Kingdom. Upon exiting a ludicrous elevator, he hears the steady beat of music somewhere from within the mansion. A little further ahead, above the attic of the mansion, a curious little box with a strange door stood before Mario.

He enters, and what follows is beyond his imagination. Who knew ghosts had rhythm, what's more, why is this box so big?!

Stage ID: 9A0B-0000-00A2-0379

Top Bottom