• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

correojon

I think I got it.
I fixed it already, made also the flame throwers higher so you don't have to wait for the correct moment to fly.
Now to fix the boss fight...
And maybe the ending...

I liked both the boss fight and the ending, though it may be easy to die there...Maybe just give more space for the final flight? And make it so there are cannons and stuff shooting in directions that can´t hurt the player, that will add tension but won´t kill the player so close to the end. Just an idea.

10 minutes till my stream starts. There's gonna be a LOT of levels this time!

http://www.twitch.tv/Bjoern_the_Smexy

I will not accept any more levels from now on, so if you send me your ID now...well, sorry.

Thanks for playing my level. I was snickering at how terrifying it ended up being, and how 2-3 style flying fish should be banned, lol.

The level ended up working as intended as far as ways to make it easier not being so obvious,
like a hidden mushroom before the P Switch, and how it isn't immediately apparent that you can just use koopa shells to kill chain chomps or act as a shield... or how you can access the P-Switch by going back to the beginning once you are big mario instead of going around the top. You did find an unintended shortcut though, that was cool.

correojon

- you cant get hit by the chomps if you use the beetle helmet. dont know why you didnt pick it up. not my fault :p
I can´t remember if I was wearing it or not, maybe I lost it on the way there. If that was the case I was being punished again for taking a hit much earlier in the level...doesn´t seem fair to me.

- it has to be destroyed. or you cant get spiny helmet. you are supposed to use the helmet to break the blocks and NOT the bombs. bombs are optional. and how would you be trolled? you know you can reset the level by using the pipe right?
If I dropped the Pow-Blocks (on the hole or unitentionally anywhere so they exploded) I won´t be able to reach the pipe. Without the P-Switch I can´t cross the gap either, so I can only kill myself.

Also, you can get the spiky helmet from above? I didn´t know that, I tried dropping the Pow-Blocks so maybe they´ll get to the bottom and the helmet would raise lol.

- the fire flower is just a bonus for exploring :)
Oh, nice then.

this level has more than one way to finish it, but everyone is taking the short/quick option and then complaining they are getting by x or z or something lol
Well, you are the designer, it´s your job to make sure the player can play the game however he wants. You should account for the unexpected things he can do, not just say "you´re playing the game bad!". Please don´t take this the wrong way, I´m trying to help and I really liked your levels.

Naar

I can´t remember if I was wearing it or not, maybe I lost it on the way there. If that was the case I was being punished again for taking a hit much earlier in the level...doesn´t seem fair to me.

If I dropped the Pow-Blocks (on the hole or unitentionally anywhere so they exploded) I won´t be able to reach the pipe. Without the P-Switch I can´t cross the gap either, so I can only kill myself.

Also, you can get the spiky helmet from above? I didn´t know that, I tried dropping the Pow-Blocks so maybe they´ll get to the bottom and the helmet would raise lol.

Oh, nice then.

Well, you are the designer, it´s your job to make sure the player can play the game however he wants. You should account for the unexpected things he can do, not just say "you´re playing the game bad!". Please don´t take this the wrong way, I´m trying to help and I really liked your levels.

dont worry im not taking this any wrong way. i actually appreciate someone telling me all these points!

if you got hit and lost the helmet before reaching the chomp (which is about 10 seconds after getting the helmet) then it would be the players fault for losing it. you can also go get the helmet again if you lose it anyway. almost everything in this level resets if you move away from the screen or use the pipe. also before the chomp, the super mushroom reappears constantly. so you can always go back and get a new one

haha you thought the helmet would rise :p you actually jump down while holding run and you can catch it :)

as for the POW block disappearing. you can just run away from the screen and it should reappear :)

and while its true i am the designer, there is obviously an optimal way of playing a level that a designer creates. if people want to take a short cut or go a quick way, i cant try to accommodate the players EVERY need or otherwise i will break the level.

hope this helps :)

Well, you are the designer, it´s your job to make sure the player can play the game however he wants. You should account for the unexpected things he can do, not just say "you´re playing the game bad!"

While obviously it should be approached in moderation and not as an excuse for bad design, there are actually many times where a designer can and should say that to the player. Miyamoto, Tezuka and their teams are themselves sometimes unflinchingly rigid of what's expected of the player in order to properly succeed in certain stages in their own games. Some of the harder stages made by EAD in the Mario games and the special stages in the Yoshi's Island series say hello. To use an example from the latter, on Monday night I spent over an hour trying to get a 100% collection score on stage 6-S in Yoshi's New Island. There was almost zero margin for error and if I didn't get the platform, switch and enemy patterns obsessively distilled down to pretty much exactly how Tezuka and Arzest designed that level without taking the approach of how THEY wanted ME to play it (and many other levels in that game), I would not have gotten the score I did.

and while its true i am the designer, there is obviously an optimal way of playing a level that a designer creates. if people want to take a short cut or go a quick way, i cant try to accommodate the players EVERY need or otherwise i will break the level.

hope this helps :)

Well said.

Phant

2nd level made!

I thought I would mainly stick to playing levels other people create, but It is really fun to make them yourself.

Hammer it Out
5ACF-0000-00A8-A593

Let me know what you think! Still have mainly the basic elements, so I am trying to make more "traditional "stages.

Played through the 100 Mario Challenge twice and every level was either "Only Mushrooms for you!" or "Have ALL the power ups!" There was no in-between -_-

Dimentios

Dimentios' Random Feedback Time #2-A
(8-10)

Hammer it Out (5ACF-0000-00A8-A593)
Very well designed. It is quite challenging, however, you placed fire flowers here and there, so it wasn't unfair or anything. Got hit by hammer bros every ***** time. Good job!

Trouble on the dance-floor (AFA0-0000-0090-3E9A)
lol. Best. Party. Ever. Seriously, very cool level. The bouncer at the beginning, the bar and the mushroom sliding over the ice, the toilets, the "drunk-effect", the dance floor, the police, the prison (I guess), the escape and ...some weed, garden Eden? Whatever. I had fun. Nice. :D

3-1 Cheep-Cheep Reef (DF62-0000-008A-F287)
Wonderful, nintendo-esque water level. Didn't feel "cheep" at all (huehue). It's great to see that the enemies are not randomly placed. With a little care you can manage it without getting hurt by them which feels very natural. Good job.

CrisKre

Reposting to see if anyone wants to give it a go:

retweeked my level with you guy's feedback

Big trouble in Little Toadkyo!

(BE59-0000-00A8-C741)

WVW69idND6wl8wVJKu

Let me know what you guys think!

daydream

Banned
don't usually repost these but since these are the finals, it'd be neat if we got as many votes as possible

0GhLSDz.png

It's time to vote for the best GAFfer-conceived 1-1 level! Voting rules remain the same. You have to vote for three levels, assigning three, two and one point respectively to your first, second and third pick.

Best of luck to all the finalists!

Deadline: Final ~ Monday, Oct 19 (12PM GMT+1)

Was a really great stream! Good job. Also, you played all of my levels, but not one of them are listed here...?
Oh no, I'm so sorry!

I will edit them in later, you're levels actually are among the top 10 levels I played on that stream.
So much creativity and pure fun in that level. Especially the Cthulu one.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Oh no, I'm so sorry!

I will edit them in later, you're levels actually are among the top 10 levels I played on that stream.
So much creativity and pure fun in that level. Especially the Cthulu one.
I'm sorry that it seemed like the two levels I sent you seemed to annoy you greatly :( I didn't know they were that brutal!

NetMapel

you horrible person! you probably gave him chomp chomp palace lol :p

shiba pls
Naar pls, I gave him my puzzle level haha. He almost figured out the puzzle but was just missing one last ingredient!

He played my Chain Chomp Palace last session and rage quit lol I'm sorry!

Roo

What does a green name mean?
I was looking at the notifications for one of my levels and it said 10 people, including "Green Japanese name" played your level

edit: nvm, I found out. That happens when someone is playing your level while you're running the game.

I'm sorry that it seemed like the two levels I sent you seemed to annoy you greatly :( I didn't know they were that brutal!

Don't take it too hard, sometimes I am annoyed by levels, but at other times I'm just a bit overreacting becasue I can't seem to figure out what's going on.

I only played one of your levels anyway because the other one (Chain Chomp Palace) you already sent me for the stream last week ;)

NetMapel

Don't take it too hard, sometimes I am annoyed by levels, but at other times I'm just a bit overreacting becasue I can't seem to figure out what's going on.

I only played one of your levels anyway because the other one (Chain Chomp Palace) you already sent me for the stream last week ;)
Certainly not taking it personally, but I really don't intend to make levels that annoy people, especially the puzzle one. It is supposed to be fairly safe as long as you are solving the puzzle in the appropriate way. All the hazards is supposed to drive you away and think about how to solve it. Anyways, I really appreciate your playthrough :) I also just saw the archive of you playing my Chain Chomp Palace well. Unfortunately I think that level made you rage quit haha, but yeah it is meant to be a fairly brutal level. You made some nice progress there though!

I'm not Naar and his two blocks wall jump in Mario Trials 4 :p Actually, that part I have mostly gotten down now. It is the last triple jump that is messing me up now since I can't jump far enough. Naar pls your level is evil !

Naar

Certainly not taking it personally, but I really don't intend to make levels that annoy people, especially the puzzle one. It is supposed to be fairly safe as long as you are solving the puzzle in the appropriate way. All the hazards is supposed to drive you away and think about how to solve it. Anyways, I really appreciate your playthrough :) I also just saw the archive of you playing my Chain Chomp Palace well. Unfortunately I think that level made you rage quit haha, but yeah it is meant to be a fairly brutal level. You made some nice progress there though!

I'm not Naar and his two blocks wall jump in Mario Trials 4 :p Actually, that part I have mostly gotten down now. It is the last triple jump that is messing me up now since I can't jump far enough. Naar pls your level is evil !

hey! its only evil cuz CERTAIN people wanted to cheese and i went asshole mode :)

i promise if mario trials 3 gets 10 clears the next trials wont be evil :)

What I was trying to say is: I'm not annoyed at your level, I'm annoyed at my inability to solve your puzzles :D

Core Zero

Update:

I tried 100-Mario-Challenge (Hard) the other day. Holy Mother!
As soon as I have all costumes, I will never play that mode again and concentrate myself on playing levels from GAF und reddit alone.

I can see why your levels are popular, I played through three of them (Mushroom Cavern, Heaven's Keep, and Overgrown Ruins) and your map design is impeccable. The concept and flow of all the levels I played is great, particularly Overgrown Ruins, but the other levels show you building to that quite nicely as well. I feel like these are professional-level in terms of map flow.

However, the lack of interactive enemies and powerups makes your levels feel very empty, more like I'm walking through an art exhibit than playing a game. A very pretty exhibit, but not quite what I'd expect in a Mario level. Of course, with things like automatic levels and music levels, some people do prefer that sort of thing, it's just not my thing.

One specific criticism: In Mushroom Cavern, I really feel like the backtrack pipes act purely as a punishment for curiosity. Eventually you learn to ignore them, but it feels bad. There's no gameplay or flow benefit and they just feel frustrating. You don't do anything like that in the other levels I played so perhaps you've realized that already, but it was the one design flaw that really stuck out in otherwise brilliantly flowing levels.

I followed you because I'm curious to see what else you come up with, thank you for sharing your levels!

2nd level made!

I thought I would mainly stick to playing levels other people create, but It is really fun to make them yourself.

Hammer it Out
5ACF-0000-00A8-A593

Let me know what you think! Still have mainly the basic elements, so I am trying to make more "traditional "stages.

This is a solid "difficult" level. This could appear in 100 Mario Expert and not piss me off. I really like the hidden areas and rewards, and I like the little touch of making me work for the first mushroom a bit, but not punishing me for not getting it immediately right. I also like the use of Hammer Bros as environmental obstacles rather than as traditional enemies, even if their randomness can lead to frustration at times, but I was able to beat the level both by shortcut and "intended" route without getting hit.

If I had to nitpick one thing, it's that the drop onto the final floating platform is a bit scary, because you can see the tip of the fire bar and the jumping Hammer Bro from above, but you don't have a clear view so it feels like a dangerous blind jump, even with the coins leading to safety. Taking it slowly and observing though is enough to stay safe so it's not really a problem, just something I noticed as potentially off-putting.

Spent a very, very long time from concept to release making this stage. With this level I've tried to address the critiques I've received of my previous levels, while also trying my hand around basing a level around an emotional theme rather than an aesthetic one.

The theme being fear. Happy early Halloween!

They Follow
707E-0000-00A3-2D45

The time spent on this level shows. Really creative theme and well-executed, the whole thing feels very stressful and captures that stalkery, horror-movie vibe very well. Perfect in time for Halloween!

Poor Bedside Manor

1386-0000-00A8-F8BD

yTGz3Kz.jpg

Dr. Mario is not a very good doctor.

A slightly puzzley level. I'm proud of how it came out, elements that combine to be atmospheric and also functional.

Kebiinu

Banned
Thank you all veeeery much for joining my (almost too long) 4-hour stream of Super Mario Maker.

Those were the levels I played:

And every single one of them deserves to be played by everyone.

I did a bit of voice-over commentary, so I hope my voice isn't too annoying to listen to. Enjoy some German cursing once in a while (the actual stream is 99.9% English, though)

The stream is currently being uploaded and processed to/on YouTube, but here's the link in case you want to watch it later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJoek02c_H4

Ahh! You played my stage! Thank you! :)

You seemed to have enjoyed it quite a bit. You were right about it having multiple paths, as well. If you explored a bit more, you would have found a Yoshi early in the stage, too!

Looking forward to your future streams.

Platy

Made a level showing the most common skills a new player might not have that are necessary for harder levels.

sBo9sEB.png

06DF-0000-00A9-078A

Trains you for 12 actions and have a few extra tips in the middle

...when I say "you" I say a few friends who just got a WiiU for Mario Maker, not the people from this thread I think xD

Naar

in the mood to review 2-3 stages before i get busy. just quote and put code and ill check it out. i have about 1 hour from the time of this post

Mcdohl

in the mood to review 2-3 stages before i get busy. just quote and put code and ill check it out. i have about 1 hour from the time of this post

From my previous post:

Made a new stage.

It's a basic storytelling attempt.

Level shouldn't be too hard, nor cakewalk.

Any feedback (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated!

Hey plumber! Unclog this toilet!
93F0-0000-00A5-2496

WVW69iejqYoDY6AImY

Naar

From my previous post:

well i have to go in a bit but i played your level.

honestly it felt like you were subtly trolling the player into dead ends with the fire flower being put in a place where if you get it as small mario then you cannot get out and have to restart.

the only part that annoyed me was the very beginning with the music blocks.

i could tell you were going for a design theme or something like that, but the design felt all over the place.

i suggest to stick to the underwater theme and expand on it as it reflects the title of your level. maybe add more enemies and clog up the exit and have a star to "unclog" the enemies

Model 500

Hey makers, it's that time again! PM me your stage and I'll record a real time playthrough for feedback and share the video later.

Keep in mind that I enjoy stages that have fun, challenging and fair platforming / action the most. You are welcome to send a puzzle-y or exploratory level too, just be ready for the occasional frustrated comment :D

I will approach every level with gameplay respect though, giving them all a bunch of fair tries, but will star a level only if I really like it.

Double

While working on my new level I created a room with a puzzly element which took me some hours to do (it's unbelievable how this game despawns everything once you get a bit more than a screen away!), but I ended up feeling it didn't fit into the rest of my level (still work in progress).

So instead of scrapping it from the face of this world completely, I made a short level out of it. I present you:

Skullride Mansion - The Lost Room
(5E46-0000-00A9-26F4)

skullridemansion-tlri6sf8.jpg

Wanna try it? ;)

Mcdohl

well i have to go in a bit but i played your level.

honestly it felt like you were subtly trolling the player into dead ends with the fire flower being put in a place where if you get it as small mario then you cannot get out and have to restart.

the only part that annoyed me was the very beginning with the music blocks.

i could tell you were going for a design theme or something like that, but the design felt all over the place.

i suggest to stick to the underwater theme and expand on it as it reflects the title of your level. maybe add more enemies and clog up the exit and have a star to "unclog" the enemies

Means I failed on the design. The idea was that you are asked to enter the building and unclog the toilet on the top floor. And the unclogging itself was getting rid of the army of goombas

And the fire flower is just bad design. I hadn't thought about it lol... I just didn't grab it myself when I played my own level.

Thanks for the feedback!

Schlomo

Weird! How can the clown car disappear? Are you sure it wasn't bouncing on the spikes?
For the boss fight, you have infinite feathers and infinite shells if you want. Weren't you a bit reckless? :p
How did you manage to get the Clown Car while being small?

As others have said, the fight itself is not really hard, just time consuming. You get hit, you have to wait for the feather. The shell gets knocked out of your hand or you miss the throw, you have to wait for the shell. You jump up before enough bull's eye bills are on screen, you have to fall down and wait for them to fire again.

The hard part for me was getting into the clown car after it's empty because it's bumping around so wildly. It's easy to become small there by falling onto the spikes. And then, I think the empty clown car disappears if you get too far away from it.

Naar

Means I failed on the design. The idea was that you are asked to enter the building and unclog the toilet on the top floor. And the unclogging itself was getting rid of the army of goombas

And the fire flower is just bad design. I hadn't thought about it lol... I just didn't grab it myself when I played my own level.

Thanks for the feedback!

i think you should let the player enter the pipe more quickly after they enter the building. just to make it flow design wise.

and if you add more to the underwater section i think it could really make the level that much better :)

While working on my new level I created a room with a puzzly element which took me some hours to do (it's unbelievable how this game despawns everything once you get a bit more than a screen away!), but I ended up feeling it didn't fit into the rest of my level (still work in progress).

So instead of scrapping it from the face of this world completely, I made a short level out of it. I present you:

(5E46-0000-00A9-26F4)

Wanna try it? ;)

i really liked this level a lot! my only feedback was that it was too short!

Double

i really liked this level a lot! my only feedback was that it was too short!
Thanks! :)
Already happy now that I didn't just delete that part haha.

You should be looking forward to the full stage then! ;)
I might consider working this part back into it if I get more positive feedback on it, I guess.

Naar

Please take a look at Wigglers Steampunk Tree:
7F1D-0000-00A7-F9EB

Thanks!

very very confusing level. it looks very nice, but i actually timed out because there was like a million pipes and no clue if i was going back or forward in the stage.

basically the stage lacked direction and was HUGE.

You should fix that and either make the stage smaller or guide the player.

and i cant review anymore stuff guys! im a bit busy now lol sorry

fabprems

Hey everybody,

I've just finished a new stage. It started with a simple idea of a thing I love in Super Mario that is missing in Mario Maker : the 3 hidden coins challenge. And because it's really too easy to create the hardest it became :
3coins.jpg

It's not that difficult to finish the stage, but finishing with the 3 coins, that's another story !

One thing I'm not happy with this stage, it's how I wanted to use the black background to achieve some visual tricks with moving enemies and platforms... way too difficult to achieve for me :-/

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy it, feedback always welcome !

Robin64

I made a level, totally out of my comfort zone, but I the beauty of Mario Maker is that you get to experiment with idea. I wanted to do it after watching Monday, an episode of X-Files, and having a love of that trope in general.

I don't know if I succeeded. I don't think I did. But give it a go.

Endless Eight: 4E27-0000-00A8-6184

But while you're there, check out my other more traditional levels! They seem to get a lot of love, which I am hugely grateful for.

fabprems

(5E46-0000-00A9-26F4)

Wanna try it? ;)

Fun level, congrats ! Starred it ;)
I made a level, totally out of my comfort zone, but I the beauty of Mario Maker is that you get to experiment with idea. I wanted to do it after watching Monday, an episode of X-Files, and having a love of that trope in general.

I don't know if I succeeded. I don't think I did. But give it a go.

Endless Eight: 4E27-0000-00A8-6184

But while you're there, check out my other more traditional levels! They seem to get a lot of love, which I am hugely grateful for.
I've rematch that episode YESTERDAY cause it was stuck in my mind after a few years without watching x-files. Ok, I'm playing it right away ;)

KooopaKid

Banned
Designing accessible puzzles in SMM really demonstrates the Portal 2 effect. If you playtest your levels a lot and want it to be accessible by a great number you don't have a choice but to signpost everything and simplify a lot. And sometimes it's not even enough. At what point does "dumbing it down" becomes unacceptable?

Madao

i made another level. this one is a castle in SMB3 style. it relies on platforming and good dodging skills.

the big thing about it is that i made it a "go left" level so it's gonna mess with many people's muscle memory of going right.

ID: 6F75-0000-00A9-7007

can you find the secret exit?

Bydobob

Reposting to see if anyone wants to give it a go:

retweeked my level with you guy's feedback

Big trouble in Little Toadkyo!

(BE59-0000-00A8-C741)

WVW69idND6wl8wVJKu

Let me know what you guys think!

I starred this as it was varied and I could see the effort you put into it, put it's not without some problems. First off, the port theme meant I was off the screen at points with enemy threats nearby. You should allow for 2 blocks clearance at the top or bottom of the level to prevent this from happening. I'm usually a “runner”, so ran into a couple of unseen enemies elsewhere too. Perhaps that's my fault for not walking but I think some enemy placements could give you more notice. I died at the first question block too, collecting a Bob-omb when everyone's natural instinct is that the first one usually contains a mushroom!

Talking of instincts, having to deliberately get hit by a piranha plant to get to the finish line is counter-intuitive, so ended up going in circles to figure out another way of finishing. In hindsight there were clues with all the mushrooms floating around, but with all the arrows elsewhere and other places to go you could easily be forgiven for thinking you've missed something else. I was certainly kept on my toes whilst playing though, and enjoyed the variety.

Bydobob

OK, had time for two more levels:

WVW69ie2zXYIUnP7WY

Kamek's Funhouse - (6E64-0000-00A8-E9E1)

There's a bit of backtracking involved, but it's not overly difficult. Please check it out!

I'm sorry, but this level lost me at the spring part. I'm not a hater of springs like others, but when you're stuck in a whole room full of moving ones you are entirely dependent on luck. If that bad luck sends you into saws at the top of the level that you can't see then that's simple taking the mick out of players. Had my nice caped cosie entering this part and within 5 seconds lost everything! I'm not sure how integral the saws are to the later part of the level but I recommend you take this out or put a safety block in the way. It was pretty good up until this part.

Poor Bedside Manor

1386-0000-00A8-F8BD

yTGz3Kz.jpg

Dr. Mario is not a very good doctor.

A slightly puzzley level. I'm proud of how it came out, elements that combine to be atmospheric and also functional.

I think this is my first Sporky level would you believe. Completed on my first go yet still had me scratching my head, I think you got the puzzle balance right. 10% completion rate is surprising, but could suggest people aren't aware you can reset the P switches by re-entering doors? Anyway, it's a stylish level that's especially creative in the sound department, I can certainly see why you have such a following. One word about the comments, is this really what you have to put up with? People advertising their stuff on your levels is pretty base.

Top Bottom