• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

KooopaKid

Banned
Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-2
Great level, but the cloud mechanic was a bit frustrating. Dying to the clouds never felt good, I can't imagine what it was like with the red bullets. The mechanic is fun but bottomless pits combined with it made it really unfun when I died.

Thanks for playing!
It's never fun when you die anyway :)
I think without bottomless pits it would be too easy and boring.

Oidisco

Got around to making a new level.

Snake Platform Palace
wiiu_screenshot_gamep6psjo.jpg

The level is split into 5 sections. 3 Snake Platform areas and 2 fairly simple platforming sections just to give you a break. The ending isn't the best unfortunately, but that's probably because it's the only part I didn't plan out in advance.
Cloudrush Castle: F5D7-0000-00E6-976F

Completely overhauled this course to try to raise the completion rate. I'm hoping more people reach the boss chase with this one.

Holy crap, that was fantastic! Boss chase was amazing and the whole level in general was really well designed. The little sequence with the fireballs probably wasn't necesary, but otherwise I can't think of anything issue I had with the level.

Two thumbs up!

KooopaKid

Banned

GLN7l65.jpg

ML5kVWU.jpg

Completely overhauled this course to try to raise the completion rate. I'm hoping more people reach the boss chase with this one.

Much more manageable now! Good rework!
It's quite a rush!

Found this level on the subreddit for this game, and it's awesome, go play it.

Code:
[B]Level Title: We can do it. Together.[/B]

[I]ID: 5D32-0000-00D6-C166[/I]

Wow this guy's levels are borderline genius.

Oidisco

If anyone cares, I recorded another 2 videos of me speedrunning some of my older levels.

Molehills,Mushrooms and Munchers

The Journey to Yoshi's Home

I had a perfect run of the Yoshi level on my 1st try when recording it and I nearly screamed. For the most part it's pretty easy, but there's a pixel-perfect jump right after you bop across the flying Koopas that I almost never get. It was unintentional when making it, but I'm kinda glad it's there

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
That was fun, nice use of what is respawned or not when you use a pipe! I guess the door wasn't in the first version? IMO its presence sort of spoils the "Groundhog Day" aspect of the level, you can skip the entire level that way, and apparently it doesn't help people to "get it".
Thanks, and great point. The door effectively allowed you to skip most of the day and caused an inconsistency by respawning everything mid-day. So I got rid of it, and with a few extra tweaks I uploaded what is probably going to be the definitive version of this level:

Groundhog Day: The Final Day - (F8A6-0000-00E7-5580)

jAS6UIR.png

Mario is stuck in a time loop, and the same day is repeating endlessly. Can you find a way to escape the loop and fix time for the last time?
As usual, there are three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.

Random players also kept getting confused by its homemade checkpoint system from before the 11/4 update, so yesterday I also uploaded a revision for what is probably the best level among mine: Before And After The Apocalypse.

Before & After The Apocalypse v2 - (A610-0000-00E6-314B)

8z93kou.png

Time travel between before and after a zombie apocalypse. Can Mario stop it and fix the future?
- Two official checkpoints replace the old system
- Most powerups are now incremental
- A fourth hidden 1up mushroom has been added
- Multiple tweaks and improvements all over the place

That should be it for updating my previous levels.
Speaking of which, here are some of them: http://i.imgur.com/fhiCvn6.png

Thud

Played and starred these levels. I only star levels I find enjoyable.

Multicolor Mushroom Madness - RagnarokX

Cool level. I like the color coded theme and finding your own path. Backtracking after you get hit is a bit frustating. Especially the hammer bro and the green paratroopas spawn in the first section. Took the green route after the checkpoint. Loved spitting hammers back at shellbro's.

A bit chaotic at times, but overall a neat level.

Use the Star Speed Mario-Kun - AjNimajwalHansel

Played more of your levels, but I picked this one for this round of feedback. The first thing I noticed: it's not a speed run level. There are moments that wreck the momentum, like the thwomp stopping the tracks with the P-block if you fail the top route.

If you can make the level tighter and lower the timer to ~100, it'll be more rewarding keeping the momentum and clearing this level.

Metroid Resurgence - Brinstar - Simbabbad

Strong metroid vibes, really liked it.

Played an early version of Brinstar, but I couldn't finish it then. I did finish this one hehe. My major concern is the combination of checkpoint placement and progression with power ups. Backtracking when you get hit, triggering the previous checkpoint, dying and doing the same stuff again. The weakpoint is right before the ending breaking the floor, landing in a nest of hammer bro's. And the reason is simple, you didn't teach the player you can break solid brown bricks. So you implant the idea you need the samus suit, break the blue bricks, hop out the heels, continue on and ... dead.

Fixing it is easy, make players break the solid brown bricks after getting the heels. Remove a few enemies before the ending, because the backtrack is too powerful.

Snake Platform Palace - Oidisco

Snake platforms are awesome. It's pretty easy to fall down in the lava, probably the weird movement when the blocks change angles. The non-snake sections don't blend that well with the rest of the level. I think it needs an extra polish, go through your level again and think about the transits between the different areas.

Cannonball Conundrum - ScOULaris

I kinda like it, but it will need a lot of work. So the first question: Why the cannonball conundrum name? This level has two screens with cannonballs, the rest are different mechanics and different enemies.

If you have a theme in mind, keep to it. I'm guessing it's about cannonballs and jumping, so revolve it around those two things.

Watch this video about

Super Mario 3D World 's 4 step level design

It's really helpful when designing 'standard' levels. In Super Mario 3D World levels introduce a concept in a safe environment, they develop that concept to make the player accustomed to the concept, then there's the twist to surprise the player and in the end you throw it all away by testing the very limits of the player.

If we apply it to your level, we'll notice a few things:

- concepts are all over the place confusing the player
- concepts are not developed
- concepts are not properly introduced
- concepts don't blend together well, lacking an everlasting impact.

So my advice is simple, take the things you like the most and design a theme around it. After you have a theme follow the four steps shown in the video. Playtest it until it feels good. Upload the level when you're satisfied and take the feedback you get from it for a revision or a new levelconcept.

There are a few concepts I do like in your level like the first screen actions. Overall the level lacks focus. Don't give up tho and keep trying!

I hope this helps :).

Okay, I'm sure most people haven't played Heartfelt Dreams 2, but I decided to make an update to it. I changed a lot of the platforms to make the use of springs a bit more meaningful, and I actually just re-uploaded the level again to nerf a luck based part to the ground.

gRv9oxt.jpg

Heartfelt Dreams 2 - (6074-0000-00F9-BBB0)

This level is intended to be fairly fast paced, and explore more of the use of jumping into springs and other ways to navigate a level layout quickly that was present in Heartfelt Dreams 1. This ended up more of an obstacle course than the last time, but I hope players can enjoy it.

If anyone cares, I recorded another 2 videos of me speedrunning some of my older levels.

Molehills,Mushrooms and Munchers

The Journey to Yoshi's Home

I had a perfect run of the Yoshi level on my 1st try when recording it and I nearly screamed. For the most part it's pretty easy, but there's a pixel-perfect jump right after you bop across the flying Koopas that I almost never get. It was unintentional when making it, but I'm kinda glad it's there

Some of those koopas are so perfectly bop placed, it's fun to watch.

CrisKre

Ok guys & gals, got a new level for you to try this weekend (please).

WVW69ikUryY13CGNcF

Snowy Sky Lift Summit!

69B1-0000-00E7-B91F

Been meaning to make a snow inspired level,and someone here gave suggestions as to how to accomplish the theme. I hope you guys like it. Filled with secrets, a small puzzle room and some slippery and unstable ice in there, but I hope nothing too frustrating :p

Here is a video of the first section:

https://youtu.be/_QMcEseUAII

Hey, I have a level I want to share.

It's "Inspired" by Souls games, in that its hard, but in the way were a bunch of shit is thrown at you. I tried to make it as fair as possible, and have check points at the hard spots. I hope you find it fun (If you play it), it was very funny making the level. (Plus it has a silly name)

Dark Mario: SuperBorne ID: 9F95-0000-00E7-ED29

Thanks for playing!

Simbabbad

Metroid Resurgence - Brinstar - Simbabbad

Strong metroid vibes, really liked it.

Played an early version of Brinstar, but I couldn't finish it then. I did finish this one hehe. My major concern is the combination of checkpoint placement and progression with power ups. Backtracking when you get hit, triggering the previous checkpoint, dying and doing the same stuff again. The weakpoint is right before the ending breaking the floor, landing in a nest of hammer bro's. And the reason is simple, you didn't teach the player you can break solid brown bricks. So you implant the idea you need the samus suit, break the blue bricks, hop out the heels, continue on and ... dead.

Fixing it is easy, make players break the solid brown bricks after getting the heels. Remove a few enemies before the ending, because the backtrack is too powerful.
I'm not following you. Why do you take back the Samus suit?!? What are you calling "brown blocks", technically they're all blue there? You mean the hard blocks, like the ones at the left of Mario here?

EDIT: you mean you make the same mistake as the player here: https://youtu.be/IrW4B-RHZGM?t=44m16s ?

(sorry if I sound annoyed in my answer, I live in Paris and I'm not well at all right now)

deafsox987

Neo Member
Dodongo's Cavern - Under Construction

Now that I believe my latest version of The Great Deku Tree is solid and probably flawless, I decided to go ahead and build my version of Dodongo's Cavern.

It is way complicated than I expected, and I had to sadly cut one section where Link bombs the row of bombs to cause the staircase to come down. It would take up too much room and the map is already 60% full.

So far, it is looking good and I am hoping to finish up the course by tomorrow night. Here are some preview pictures below. Enjoy!

WVW69ikXkSIIZd5Tyt

WVW69ikXmXgKjg7CtY

Also, I cannot help but notice some people have quite neat summary cards of their courses. Do you all do these cards by yourselves or did you ask others to help you out creating these cards?

RaidenZR

Is the hard version of Gnat Attack just a dice roll now in terms of where the flies spawn? I feel like I only do well when a couple of good spawns happen near each other and I get lucky enough to whack 3-4 bombs/spitters in one shot.

Can't beat this damn thing.

JC Sera

played a really brilliant little level which gave ground boos wings, it will post the code tomorrow

also I really like how the famitsu level explores all the different elements of yoshi

Forkball

I really wish there was some alternative way to unlock the amiibo costumes besides grinding out 100 man Mario. There are three more I need for my next level, but I'm basically just playing the lotto here.

Thud

I'm not following you. Why do you take back the Samus suit?!? What are you calling "brown blocks", technically they're all blue there? You mean the hard blocks, like the ones at the left of Mario here?

EDIT: you mean you make the same mistake as the player here: https://youtu.be/IrW4B-RHZGM?t=44m16s ?

(sorry if I sound annoyed in my answer, I live in Paris and I'm not well at all right now)

Sorry forget the word, but yes I mean the hard blocks. If you put hard blocks with breakable blocks the player will know he can break them. Because everything is blue I didn't see those hard blocks after a few tries.

I know you can break those blocks, but most players won't know that. They'll probably backtrack or something like I did screwing themselves. I'm just saying you may want to avoid that in total.

And there's no reason to feel sorry. You have all the reason to be annoyed with it. It makes everything I posted seem silly.

How are you guys handling updating your old levels when you add checkpoints? Are you deleting the old version or leaving it up and uploading version 2? If you delete the old level, what does this do to your star/medals count?

Dimentios

How are you guys handling updating your old levels when you add checkpoints? Are you deleting the old version or leaving it up and uploading version 2? If you delete the old level, what does this do to your star/medals count?

You will keep all your global earned stars and medals, but lose all comments.
Personally I don't update my previous levels, I made them with no checkpoints in mind back then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started to improve my level presentations with animated pictures, since most of my levels have been covered in youtube videos thanks to the streamers of NeoGaf and Reddit. Not all of them tho.

Glacier Cocktail (9E99-0000-00B3-4A19)

Advance through the glacier caverns which are home of the
Monty Moles. Watch your step, since it's getting colder
and colder the deeper you progress.

uMuxkuO.jpg

Also, my new level:

Sawblade Walker (C7F1-0000-00E6-01C6)

There is a progress of verticality in it, however, that illusion gets destroyed in the last sequence of the level, lol.
It has a similiar last part as my other level, Overgrown Ruins, where you end up at the beginning of the level after a certain
time and then have to beat it a second time, just another route. It also includes checkpoints, of course.

o6FBofH.jpg

My other levels: Dimentios' Lair

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't had time to play most of the levels of the last pages yet. I' am so wanting that network update. It will make things that much more convenient.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Deleted all of them except one (Before And After The Apocalypse) because it had 130+ stars and a ton of awesome comments (the level had great reception).

By deleting you won't lose your stars, but you will lose comments.

I like seeing my star totals and comments too much to delete them. If I get more upload space I may just reupload the checkpoint version of a lot of those levels.

Check out my levels if you guys get the chance, the update really killed all the plays on my level, it went from five to six every couple of days to one or two now, popularity and stars really help. :(

I played Traveller of the Cosmos yesterday. Great level. Tough but very rewarding. Gave it a star

deafsox987

Neo Member
After many trials and errors, IT IS FINALLY READY!

Dodongo's Cavern

47F1-0000-00E9-8C0A

Here are the screenshots from my preview post:

WVW69ikXkSIIZd5Tyt

WVW69ikXmXgKjg7CtY

As always, I am open to any feedback and I will try my best to fix any issues before next weekend, when I hope to start the final course of the Spiritual Stones series, "Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly."

ENJOY THIS COURSE!

Thud

Dodongo's Cavern

As always, I am open to any feedback and I will try my best to fix any issues before next weekend, when I hope to start the final course of the Spiritual Stones series, "Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly."

ENJOY THIS COURSE!

Checkpoint placement is a bit odd. I think you should design a safe zone around them. For example the second checkpoint takes you right next to King Dodongo, which gives you only a few seconds to act. In Ocarina of Time the checkpoint was above him, I think you can apply that here as well. Just make sure the player doesn't fall on Bowser Jr. Put the bowser SFX on Bowser Jr. so the music lasts the entire fight.

This level doesn't remind that much of Dodongo's Cavern. Perhaps the sub and main level themes should switch. You could make Dodongo's belly a cavern and everything with lava in the castle.

Also floating pipes are a sin, please fix those.

deafsox987

Neo Member
Checkpoint placement is a bit odd. I think you should design a safe zone around them. For example the second checkpoint takes you right next to King Dodongo, which gives you only a few seconds to act. In Ocarina of Time the checkpoint was above him, I think you can apply that here as well. Just make sure the player doesn't fall on Bowser Jr. Put the bowser SFX on Bowser Jr. so the music lasts the entire fight.

This level doesn't remind that much of Dodongo's Cavern. Perhaps the sub and main level themes should switch. You could make Dodongo's belly a cavern and everything with lava in the castle.

Also floating pipes are a sin, please fix those.

Thanks for playing this level and your feedback is really great to see!

First of all, I am a Deaf individual so I have zero idea what sound effects are supposed to be like. Frankly, I never thought about SFX while building courses. Having said that, I will consider editing SFX after fixing the other issues.

I did have a funny feeling about checkpoint placements but seeing someone else say the same thing does confirm that. I wanted to make sure the level is user-friendly unlike the original version of the Deku Tree. I will definitely address this issue.

I completely understand about the floating pipes, they are the only way to keep switches and bombs popping up without making you stuck for good. The problem is that I cannot use any more blocks to fill up the space needed - I will try and fix that though.

Lastly, I can agree with you about the level not feeling like Dodongo's Cavern. I wanted to create more than what I have offered, but like I stated before, I cannot add more blocks and that put a wrench in everything. I had to make some cuts like the bomb-staircase room.

Thanks for the feedback, and if Nintendo lets us to use infinite blocks and screens, it would be a completely different course!

J-Fr

I enjoyed this far more than I expected because it was just some straight up platforming goodness.

Played super dedee land. There was some nice platforming there. The presentation could be better I thought, but had fun with it.

Thank you!

Wow, thank you so much for this video. I had a blast watching you play Old School Super Mario (Plains), because while designing it, I kept wondering: "Will people notice this item I'm hiding, this enemy pattern I worked on, the whole underground? Or will they hold right and jump through it? Are the progressive powerups making things too easy?" - and your video put all those worries to rest.
Likewise, the Old School Super Mario (Cliffs) segment of the video illustrates something that I wanted to be at the core of this series: the possibility to switch strategies. Every time your retry the level, you take a different route, you focus on different areas, you discover new things, and I wanted exactly that to happen.
For Metroid Resurgence - Brinstar, that level is very much a slow paced adventure/puzzle level where you have to examine your environment and plan your route, so I'm not surprised some players can take time to catch the right procedure, but I'm glad you did get it. The checkpoints help a lot hinting at the right track and encouraging the player. You could have saved much time, though, and simplified the challenge a lot:
when you lose the flying boot, you can get it back by returning to its now unlocked room, it's quicker than dying and resetting to the checkpoint - the jumping Koopas room is also easier when you're methodical or when you unlock and use the Fire Flower there, like with your first attempts without the boot and the one when you finally reach the second checkpoint
. Also, you missed/forgot three things that make the ending rather easy:
there are mushrooms in the pipe in the black boot room, which allow you to unlock the Fire Flower you ignore half way through, and you can use the black boot to destroy hard blocks - meaning that for the end fight, you could be Fire Mario in the giant black boot instead of just little Mario
I don't remember if you played the other Metroid Resurgence levels, but they're very different, Tourian is straight action and Kraid and Ridley have more action and are less about backtracking.

Your video is extremely valuable to me - so really: many, many thanks.

For the issue of not appearing in the level lists... the codes you give in the video are the latest codes, but because of small issues in Brinstar and Ridley (I see the Brinstar you played is the previous version, there's a minor difference), I had uploaded again the whole Metroid Resurgence series and the two Old School Super Mario levels since the moment you recorded your playthrough. I wanted the levels to appear in the right order on my profile in case visitors wanted to browse correctly my series, I didn't want Brinstar and Ridley to appear after Kraid and Tourian, nor Old School Super Mario levels to appear between Metroid levels - so I sacrificed a few days of statistics and some very nice comments from the checkpoint/progressive powerup update, and "refreshed" everything.

I'm currently working to finish the Old School Super Mario series and I started a new one (and I have two more to continue), but I'll check your levels pretty soon.

You're welcome.
My courses often lack an alternative path, I'm too afraid people will skip half of the level by choosing only one section.
In the end I split the level in half.

I'm looking forward to the next iterations in the Old School series!
And I have yet to try your other Metroid levels.

Title - P_ramide
ID - B185-0000-00E3-3114
Difficulty - Medium

A course inspired by pyramids and P Switches.

Title - P DIfficult
ID - DF91-0000-00ED-C792
Difficulty - Very Hard

The course is pretty short and has one checkpoint.
It mainly contains P Switch puzzles and hard jumps.

Thanks for the feedback, and if Nintendo lets us to use infinite blocks and screens, it would be a completely different course!
I haven't really been playing GAF levels as much as I should, but I might take a look at yours and see where you could conserve tile useage.

Okay, I'm sure most people haven't played Heartfelt Dreams 2, but I decided to make an update to it. I changed a lot of the platforms to make the use of springs a bit more meaningful, and I actually just re-uploaded the level again to nerf a luck based part to the ground.

gRv9oxt.jpg

Heartfelt Dreams 2 - (DF14-0000-00E7-908D)

This level is intended to be fairly fast paced, and explore more of the use of jumping into springs and other ways to navigate a level layout quickly that was present in Heartfelt Dreams 1. This ended up more of an obstacle course than the last time, but I hope players can enjoy it.

Yeah I gave this a try. It was fun like the first one. But the quicker pace of the first one I preferd more. The boo carrying the spikey thing mechanic never gets old. Starred it.
Ok guys & gals, got a new level for you to try this weekend (please).

WVW69ikUryY13CGNcF

Snowy Sky Lift Summit!

69B1-0000-00E7-B91F

Been meaning to make a snow inspired level,and someone here gave suggestions as to how to accomplish the theme. I hope you guys like it. Filled with secrets, a small puzzle room and some slippery and unstable ice in there, but I hope nothing too frustrating :p

Here is a video of the first section:

https://youtu.be/_QMcEseUAII

Played this yesterday. Fun with a lot of secrets. Nice visually. I even see you used the clouds as snow mechanic I mentioned early. Looked good :) gqve it a star.

Dodongo's Cavern

47F1-0000-00E9-8C0A

Here are the screenshots from my preview post:

WVW69ikXkSIIZd5Tyt

WVW69ikXmXgKjg7CtY

ENJOY THIS COURSE!

Zero idea what the zelda level is like so I can only comment from a mario platformer standpoint. Checkpoints need to be placed in safe spot. I didn't die but having an enemy too close to a checkpoint can be frustrating. Actual platforming was good. Agree with the user saying floating pipes look bad. You can carve out some portion of the level to something to it. Its that visually important.

----------------------------------

100 man mario is still 100% bullshit. Whoever was saying it was getting much better? Naw, shits still all garbage.

So, wjat theme is everyones favourite to make. I found I had the most fun making my ice levels. I'm trying to make a volcano level currently. The struggle is real. I really hope they eventually add new themes enemies and alternate music

ScOULaris

Cannonball Conundrum - ScOULaris

I kinda like it, but it will need a lot of work. So the first question: Why the cannonball conundrum name? This level has two screens with cannonballs, the rest are different mechanics and different enemies.

If you have a theme in mind, keep to it. I'm guessing it's about cannonballs and jumping, so revolve it around those two things.

Watch this video about

Super Mario 3D World 's 4 step level design

It's really helpful when designing 'standard' levels. In Super Mario 3D World levels introduce a concept in a safe environment, they develop that concept to make the player accustomed to the concept, then there's the twist to surprise the player and in the end you throw it all away by testing the very limits of the player.

If we apply it to your level, we'll notice a few things:

- concepts are all over the place confusing the player
- concepts are not developed
- concepts are not properly introduced
- concepts don't blend together well, lacking an everlasting impact.

So my advice is simple, take the things you like the most and design a theme around it. After you have a theme follow the four steps shown in the video. Playtest it until it feels good. Upload the level when you're satisfied and take the feedback you get from it for a revision or a new levelconcept.

There are a few concepts I do like in your level like the first screen actions. Overall the level lacks focus. Don't give up tho and keep trying!

I hope this helps :).

Thanks for the critique!

That was the first level I ever made right after I got the game, so it's more the end-result of me messing around with the tools with no clear direction. I recognize its faults, but I think it's a decent enough traditional platforming level that can be either sped through or tackled more methodically. As for the name, I just like those alliterative level names and I figured there were enough cannons in the level to justify it.

But enough about that. Try out my more recent level, which is built for pure speedrunning. I think you'll find that it has a much more defined focus and cohesive theme.

Just finished up my third level, and I think it's definitely my best work thus far.

ZbFil7A.png

Level: Don't Stop, Get It Get It
Code: A674-0000-00E6-68EF
Difficulty: 3.5/5

• Gotta go fast! Stopping even for a second means failure to finish the stage.
  • Catch up with the beetle shell racing on the platform above you while dodging obstacles below.
  • Short, but sweet. The level is as long as the editor allows for, but the fact that you are constantly running with no stopping makes it breeze by. No checkpoint needed.
  • Clean design with no annoying, unfair quirks. Enemies are kept to a minimum in favor of forcing you to find the optimal path through carefully placed hazards.
If you like it, go ahead and check out my previous levels as well:

Lastly, I can agree with you about the level not feeling like Dodongo's Cavern. I wanted to create more than what I have offered, but like I stated before, I cannot add more blocks and that put a wrench in everything. I had to make some cuts like the bomb-staircase room.

So I went through your level and looked for places where you might have used too many tiles that could've been used elsewhere.

In these two shots, there are a large number of blocks placed in areas where the player will never find himself being at, and while the gaps help create texture and conserve tiles, not enough is done to give yourself a decent amount of extra tiles and the texture is very uniform with no variation. You could try having more breaks in the wall with bigger gaps here and there, having a thinner wall with a semi-solid platform to fill it in to help it separate the rock mass from the "legal playing area" with tiles sprinkled on top of it here and there to add texture and variation, or a combination of both.
tYTOR5Nm.jpg
5fLoBoim.jpg

The way the rocks form "stripes" below the player's feet can very easily be semi-solid platforms with real tiles running across the top instead.
XlEwvd3m.jpg

Finally, these question mark blocks I'm standing on can easily be semi-solid platforms since they don't add much to the bob-omb puzzle here.
1sT2PJxm.jpg

My biggest advice is that whenever at all possible, try to use a semi-solid platform over a tile, for decorative purposes as well, especially when there is no way to get under them, effectively rendering them as a solid floor.

deafsox987

Neo Member
My biggest advice is that whenever at all possible, try to use a semi-solid platform over a tile, for decorative purposes as well, especially when there is no way to get under them, effectively rendering them as a solid floor.

Wow, thanks for the tips!

I will definitely fix them but I am not sure if I would add a couple of rooms to that level since it's already a hot mess. However, it is something I will keep in mind for the next course.

Bydobob

Just finished up my third level, and I think it's definitely my best work thus far.

ZbFil7A.png

Level: Don't Stop, Get It Get It
Code: A674-0000-00E6-68EF
Difficulty: 3.5/5

• Gotta go fast! Stopping even for a second means failure to finish the stage.
  • Catch up with the beetle shell racing on the platform above you while dodging obstacles below.
  • Short, but sweet. The level is as long as the editor allows for, but the fact that you are constantly running with no stopping makes it breeze by. No checkpoint needed.
  • Clean design with no annoying, unfair quirks. Enemies are kept to a minimum in favor of forcing you to find the optimal path through carefully placed hazards.
If you like it, go ahead and check out my previous levels as well:

Should have read your description before playing as I slowed to a halt at the muncher part trying to work out how the hell I was going to clear them. Eventually I understood I needed to run all the way but managed to hit the hidden block so many times I lost patience and quit. If you must have a block there I would make it visible, the jump is challenging enough and having it hidden just comes across as a bit trolly. I made a similar concept level in Full Throttle Thrills (A708-0000-0068-A8BE) by the way, so fully understand a lot of trial by death is needed. Your level however feels too cramped with obstacles, and the paths and timings less easy to process at speed. I notice you say "enemies are kept to a minimum", but I'm not sure replacing them with fire bars and flames, which can cover a much larger area, is necessarily better.

GLN7l65.jpg

ML5kVWU.jpg

I completed the old level and actually preferred how it was. I saw nothing unfair previously and it was paced perfectly. This is still a very good version, but somehow the more generous time limits, wider passages and checkpoints take away a little that sense of panic. Fully understand why you changed it though, MM players can be a pampered lot!

Got around to making a new level.

Snake Platform Palace
wiiu_screenshot_gamep6psjo.jpg

The level is split into 5 sections. 3 Snake Platform areas and 2 fairly simple platforming sections just to give you a break. The ending isn't the best unfortunately, but that's probably because it's the only part I didn't plan out in advance.

Christ did I struggle with this one. No problem with the platforming or jumping parts, but I seemed to have a mental block working out where to be on the damn snake. I found new ways of falling off judging by the X's. Awesome level though. Unique, well structured and just lots of fun!

Thanks, and great point. The door effectively allowed you to skip most of the day and caused an inconsistency by respawning everything mid-day. So I got rid of it, and with a few extra tweaks I uploaded what is probably going to be the definitive version of this level:

Groundhog Day: The Final Day - (F8A6-0000-00E7-5580)

jAS6UIR.png

Mario is stuck in a time loop, and the same day is repeating endlessly. Can you find a way to escape the loop and fix time for the last time?
As usual, there are three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.

I worked this out pretty quickly and therein lies the problem, I didn't find I had an awful lot to do. All the
moles could be skipped and I didn't feel much incentive to explore what was going on with the cannons and the Saw blades up above. 1Up mushrooms are just not adequate enough reward. I was just able to race through, get the spring and I was home and dry.
I've been impressed by your stuff on stream before though, so will check out other levels of yours another time. This one wasn't fulfilling enough for me though I'm afraid.

Mael

I want to see the result!

Sorry it took me forever to finish this one.
The result is this level.
Gaf tell me how you like it.
I couldn't actually make it like the ice cubes are melting but I tried at least.
Monster's Ice Mountain :
9580-0000-00EA-35CB
WVW69ikjjewgOX0eFh

It's actually the 3rd level I made post patch.
I have one I really like I wanted to post but I prefer to show the result of my experiment before.
the next 2 will probably be a rodeo type level and one I really liked to make and balance (with a secret I wonder who will find it first :p)

Mael

To help newcomers shouldn't we have a list of handy links with tips and tricks to help design levels?
You know like the Matteosis vid or something or the Parish series of articles prerelease.

There was a meeting not far from where I live where there was a small presentation with tips to make proper levels.

This is the PDF that went with it
It's clear enough to help I feel.

And of course I got the last post on the page!
repost :
I want to see the result!

Sorry it took me forever to finish this one.
The result is this level.
Gaf tell me how you like it.
I couldn't actually make it like the ice cubes are melting but I tried at least.
Monster's Ice Mountain :
9580-0000-00EA-35CB
WVW69ikjjewgOX0eFh

It's actually the 3rd level I made post patch.
I have one I really like I wanted to post but I prefer to show the result of my experiment before.
the next 2 will probably be a rodeo type level and one I really liked to make and balance (with a secret I wonder who will find it first :p)

CrisKre

Reposting for new page in case anyone wants to give it a go:

WVW69ikUryY13CGNcF

Snowy Sky Lift Summit!

69B1-0000-00E7-B91F

Been meaning to make a snow inspired level,and someone here gave suggestions as to how to accomplish the theme. I hope you guys like it. Filled with secrets, a small puzzle room and some slippery and unstable ice in there, but I hope nothing too frustrating :/

vikki

Been working on this stage a long time. It's pretty cool, some secrets here and there if you figure out what to do.

Junior's Coup D'etat
20DD-000-00F1-9048

Have fun and I'd love some feedback if you would give it.

Ranger X

Ok I remade the second and only other pre-existing level I want to update after the patch.
I made it easier and there's also some checkpoint. I improve some parts that I didn't like anymore either. I think the level is better now. But its you who decides! :)

THE GREAT TOWER
(vertical level - sorta hard difficulty)
6E97-0000-00E5-3BFD

WVW69idDhasNNySvXO

WVW69idDmXQELR2ezv

WVW69idDjbIUDy5s0t

WVW69idDpoMIQZZD6K

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

braves01

Banned
I finally got around to playing all the event levels. Too bad they weren't really all the great. The only one I liked enough to download was the Famitsu one.

JRBechard

Neki said:
Raid Bowser's Floating Fort II
Great use of props to make the fort feel alive. The cape can trivialize all enemy encounters though, so the difficulty can definitely spike. Without the star, dealing with Bowser can be very monotonous, another mechanic to bypass or beat Bowser when you lose the cape could be helpful as my first go around I had to use so many bombs to kill him because he kept blocking the wall. Fun level and cool secrets.

Thanks for playing it! There's a fire flower to the left of the cape block at the end before Bowser so that can help. The original challenge was to avoid Bowser while breaking the wall, but everyone wanted to beat him anyways, so I added the star, the platform above him, a secret exit and the fire flowers to help out, but it seems it still not enough haha. I'll check out your levs next time I play!

If anyone wants to try:
Raid Bowser's Floating Fort II / 065C-0000-00E5-4D1F

Coming to the game late and it's great. My main problem is with creators abusing hidden blocks, if they weren't in the game I think it would force people to come up with better designed levels. It's so annoying to have Kaizo blocks everywhere, or to have million enemy levels or pixel perfect jumping levels where you can only win by finding the dev block they used to skip everything.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I just noticed a YouTube channel named Nintendo Thumb has uploaded gameplay from several levels of mine: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfC_xCvRTPtk2dt24jJ-k2hBWUamKl6p0
Thanks!

I worked this out pretty quickly and therein lies the problem, I didn't find I had an awful lot to do. All the
moles could be skipped and I didn't feel much incentive to explore what was going on with the cannons and the Saw blades up above. 1Up mushrooms are just not adequate enough reward. I was just able to race through, get the spring and I was home and dry.
I've been impressed by your stuff on stream before though, so will check out other levels of yours another time. This one wasn't fulfilling enough for me though I'm afraid.
This level is meant to be small and simple, it's basically one puzzle after all. But you'd be surprised at how many people couldn't (or wouldn't bother to?) figure it out. The completion rates on previous revisions, where the differences were quite small after all, were extremely low.

The different paths are mostly there to change up stuff while you cycle through days, so that you're not forced to do the exact same thing over and over, and get a little more freedom. Like a small sandbox, that resets itself every time a new day starts (and reason why I listened to the suggestion of removing the door in the previous version, as that caused an out of place reset mid-day).

I actually expanded that sort of sandboxy feel into a full level named Super Mario Open World v0.1b (ID here), with a much larger, parkour-friendly playing field, and more things to do to unlock the exit. Too bad the time limit can't be disabled entirely in SMM, it would be a lot more enjoyable to jump around and explore at your leisure if you didn't have to worry about time at all.

If you're looking for more traditional levels of mine, I'd suggest to check out Before & After The Apocalypse v2 (which still has a dual world/time travel dynamic), Super Dude Bros. II 1-1 and 1-2 (shooting Koopas in the former, and things can get weird in the latter), or Not Tomorrow ~ Lisa Dies (especially if you like Silent Hill). Level IDs can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/fhiCvn6.png

Also, my new level:

Sawblade Walker (C7F1-0000-00E6-01C6)

There is a progress of verticality in it, however, that illusion gets destroyed in the last sequence of the level, lol.
It has a similiar last part as my other level, Overgrown Ruins, where you end up at the beginning of the level after a certain
time and then have to beat it a second time, just another route. It also includes checkpoints, of course.

My other levels: Dimentios' Lair
Played it yesterday, it was great as usual. I felt like I was missing out on some hidden paths, and died quite a few times trying to go off-path, until I reached the second checkpoint and - just like with Overgrown Ruins - everything clicked.
Good stuff.

Top Bottom