• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

vikki

Ok so I finally made a new level. Its fact its because I worked forever on that one. Its quite complex (almost RagnarockX complex) and I've been tweaking it alot....

THE PUZZLING GOLDEN VESSEL (v.2)
35EC-0000-00FE-2DD4

Its a sorta hard level that isn't much of a traditional Mario style in the mean that you need to use power ups and abilities in a certain way in order to be able to proceed. For people who love to figure things out. There are multiple ways to complete the level too. Have fun!

WVW69imrGWso0CNAq1

WVW69imrG8AGa2cLyf

WVW69imrIVA0yhU_7C

WVW69imrHf0S6jtR7y

This is a fantastic and fun level. It is very long, I ran out of time my first time through, but I had fun figuring out what I needed to do to get to the next area. I think it can be a little confusing starting from the second checkpoint because right next to the pipe the player is supposed to go down is a pipe that leads to an area with three thwomps that the player cannot get out of without a cape or yoshi. I assume that is an alternate route that leads to the second checkpoint, but it's not clear and is just a wasted life.

I also wasn't sure if I could continue as small Mario after I restarted at the second checkpoint, but I went down the correct pipe and realized not having yoshi at the time or firepower or the spiky shelmet, won't affect Mario performing the next set of tasks. This isn't really a gripe, it's a preference because I ran out of time with all things listed. I just wanted them all back.

The level was also very uniform and aesthetically pleasing. From the map, the level is clearly a tall ship. Enemies and tiles are consistent throughout the level. Puzzles weren't difficult to figure out, least favorite was the P-switch because it can be done with it if the player has yoshi. Direction was clearly labeled except that one pipe mentioned before.

Overall, awesome level. I tried to leave a comment, but it didn't allow me to, but I started the level.

Ranger X

This is a fantastic and fun level. It is very long, I ran out of time my first time through, but I had fun figuring out what I needed to do to get to the next area. I think it can be a little confusing starting from the second checkpoint because right next to the pipe the player is supposed to go down is a pipe that leads to an area with three thwomps that the player cannot get out of without a cape or yoshi. I assume that is an alternate route that leads to the second checkpoint, but it's not clear and is just a wasted life.

I also wasn't sure if I could continue as small Mario after I restarted at the second checkpoint, but I went down the correct pipe and realized not having yoshi at the time or firepower or the spiky shelmet, won't affect Mario performing the next set of tasks. This isn't really a gripe, it's a preference because I ran out of time with all things listed. I just wanted them all back.

The level was also very uniform and aesthetically pleasing. From the map, the level is clearly a tall ship. Enemies and tiles are consistent throughout the level. Puzzles weren't difficult to figure out, least favorite was the P-switch because it can be done with it if the player has yoshi. Direction was clearly labeled except that one pipe mentioned before.

Overall, awesome level. I tried to leave a comment, but it didn't allow me to, but I started the level.

Amazing feedback. Thank you. There is still a couple of ways the player can block himself in the level, like the place you discovered. I will fix that tonight and republish the level. I am glad you liked it.

At first I wanted to create a "one solution" puzzlish level but it ended much complicated and decided to lighten it up. I was almost finished creating it at first and then I rebuilt it like 75% different. I opted for a "multiple solutions" path. You can continue and do the whole level if you want, starting at any checkpoint. Also, in many places it LOOKS like you absolutely X power to proceed but more often than not, its not true. I made tons of alternative ways to proceed ---- hence why I forgot a couple of things the player can do and block himself. lol

I doubt I will make another complex level like this one. lol At least that's the feeling I have right now

Strigiday

Neo Member
I made some levels if anyone wants to try them:

Pow Party: 13BA-0000-00FC-D98C

Free the Spinies: 7AA7-0000-00FC-54D9

Both of the levels are platforming focused with moderate amounts of puzzle elements. Free the Spinies was my first attempt at making a level with multiple routes. One route is focused on puzzle elements and the other is focused on platforming. Pow Party focuses on some of the mechanics of pow blocks. Any feedback would be appreciated..

rekameohs

Banned
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this one I made: Shells in a Cell.

It's a series of three short challenge rooms with shells. In lieu of something like boss fights, I like something more like this, and it was fun - and challenging - to put this one together. I felt like there were some unique ideas that I put into this one, so I want to hear what people here think.

Course ID: 5897-0000-00FE-96D0

So I brought Super Mario Maker to our family gathering and let my nephew play around with experimenting with how enemies interact, in particular he started experimenting with how they interacted with level objects. It ended up giving me some inspiration to make a new level.

Friendly Creatures - (A8EF-0000-00FF-57F1)

This is another modest length course of mine made to be simple, challenging, and strictly test your dexterity. I hope people find it enjoyable!

I've posted these before but they got buried, now that the thread has slowed down I figured I'd post them again.

Three paths, one goal: 36C4-0000-005D-C34F

Grendel's Ghoulish House: F69A-0000-0067-944E

Ranger X

Ok so I fixed all the possibilities of being stuck now I think. Sorry about that, now you can all go crazy in the level and mess around. So here comes, I hope, the last version:

THE PUZZLING GOLDEN VESSEL (version 3)
990F-0000-00FF-A431

WVW69imrGWso0CNAq1

Have fun!

CrisKre

Ok so I fixed all the possibilities of being stuck now I think. Sorry about that, now you can all go crazy in the level and mess around. So here comes, I hope, the last version:

THE PUZZLING GOLDEN BOAT (version 3)
990F-0000-00FF-A431

WVW69imrGWso0CNAq1

Have fun!

Ill try it later today!

Mariner

Auto levels just about ruin the game for me. My wife and I take turns playing through 100 Mario mode to unlock everything and these levels really suck. Yeah, yeah, they can be skipped. When you get four or five in a row it's a joke.

Every auto level should be default easy difficulty and not show up on the harder levels.

Simbabbad

So, since Old School Super Mario (Outpost) got positive feedback and it apparently didn't have any problem worth mentioning, I just published its sequel and final level in the series. I actually developed Old School Super Mario (Castle) in parallel to the Outpost level.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Castle%2529.png

I met several challenges while developing this series: understanding what made the original Super Mario Bros., translating those mechanics and "rules" to Super Mario Maker despite its huge differences (physics, scrolling, enemy behaviour etc.), and despite the classic settings and limited tools, trying to give each level a specific personality or "hook" so it doesn't feel generic. In classic castle levels, the tools are even more limited than in the other settings, but I think I managed to make something memorable - I really like this level.

On one hand, the level has some "early ghost house" elements that are typical of SMB1 castle levels, and on the other hand, it stands very much on precision platforming. The idea is the simplicity of the tools and the difficulty of their positioning should cancel each other out to make a difficult but accessible, fair and enjoyable level. Obviously, this is the most difficult level in the series, which difficulty goes increasing.

If there aren't any issue with it, Old School Super Mario (Castle) actually concludes Old School Super Mario.

As soon as I get enough feedback confirming I won't have to edit and republish Old School Super Mario (Castle), I will publish the latest revision of Metroid Resurgence, which should fix some issues mentioned in GAF feedback. And then, I'll continue working on a new series (already 33% done): Third Party Quest.

----

Now, feedback:

Underground Madness
Underground Madness felt a bit like typical: "look how many enemies I have access to" Super Mario Maker stuff, but I actually enjoyed it until the second instakill pipe. That sort of thing is usually "I instaquit" from me.

Name: Curious Adventure
Code: 2A44-0000-00F2-1BB4
At first I was: "what a strange level", then I got it, and I had fun from beginning to end. Some creative puzzles. It really reminded me of the old 8-bit computer platform/adventure/puzzle games I grew up with, so thank you for that, they had an "expect the unexpected" quality I loved finding here. I actually lost a life at the end puzzle because I got stumped (that one was really well done), and timed out before I solved it, but it wasn't an issue thanks to the checkpoint.

Name: Pow Block Gardens (99 Coins)
Code: C69B-0000-00BC-A8A4
That was a fun romp! At first I played it without noticing the coin objective, it was fun exploring around, then I noticed it, and managed to find 95. I like how you exploit the cape in a non mandatory way. It's a shame levels with coin objectives can't be designed.

The idea to make moles "jump" is very funny and makes for a good challenge, given the way they accelerate. I also liked the part with the Wigglers (which reminded me of a NSMBW level), but the main "jumping mole" idea deserved to be further explored IMO.

I'll test the Puzzling Golden Vessel tomorrow ;-) !

----

You can check my levels in:

- My (French) blog
- SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

When people say they want to see my ideas expanded on, what in particular do you mean? Is it just having a longer level where the gimmick occurs more frequently, or trying to find increasing creative ways of utilizing the mechanic (which backfired with Heartfelt Dreams 2, IMO)?

I was also going to just copy the NSMBWii level layout for the Wigglers (because I like to see if people actually notice references like that which often ends up not the case) but couldn't find the stage on video.

Well, picked this up today and threw together something, and my god, I think I did it. Well, what I could with the initial toolset. I thought a patch made it all instant-unlock? Whatever.

00f9-0000-0100-0c95

It's not hard, it only demands perfection. Prepare yourselves.

jarosh

There have been several people now posting on my Grand Vertical Adventure level that I supposedly "ripped off" some guy named Stampy's course called "Up and Up". So I googled and indeed came across this guy's level on YouTube. Seems to be somewhat of a YouTube personality, has quite a following. His "Up and Up" course was uploaded 3 weeks ago. My level has been up since September 26. I know what you're wondering, and the answer is yes, I did indeed time travel 7 weeks into the past in order to copy this person's level.

Anyway, reason I'm posting here is mostly because I wanted to address this on the Miiverse thread itself but for some reason it won't let me post. It says I'm not allowed to post in this thread, even though it's my own course and Miiverse thread. I can comment on all of my other courses just fine, however. Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Thread in question: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhnea1g0A

edit: Fuck, could this little piece of shit who just commented have reported the Miiverse post about the course? Further comments by anyone are blocked now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There have been several people now posting on my Grand Vertical Adventure level that I supposedly "ripped off" some guy named Stampy's course called "Up and Up". So I googled and indeed came across this guy's level on YouTube. Seems to be somewhat of a YouTube personality, has quite a following. His "Up and Up" course was uploaded 3 weeks ago. My level has been up since September 26. I know what you're wondering, and the answer is yes, I did indeed time travel 7 weeks into the past in order to copy this person's level.

Anyway, reason I'm posting here is mostly because I wanted to address this on the Miiverse thread itself but for some reason it won't let me post. It says I'm not allowed to post in this thread, even though it's my own course and Miiverse thread. I can comment on all of my other courses just fine, however. Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Well I can't comment either so it's not just you. I thought Miiverse had a 1000~ comment limit, but that might be official accounts. Well I only saw two comments about that issue and if no one else can comment at least you don't have to worry about getting more.

EDIT: If it is a result of a report Miiverse staff will probably just ignore it and open up the level to comments again. Even if a level was a copy I doubt they'd really care.

Raitaro

New official course: NES Remix, with a costume reward.

Pretty easy and classic, costume unlocked: frog suit.

(NES Remix rocks, BTW, especially the first)

This and the rest of the (admittedly free, but that doesn't make me feel better) DLC/updates so far outside of checkpoints and dynamic item blocks have really started to sour me on Nintendo's decision to include and put so much attention on the mystery mushroom in SMB1. Imo they are a very superficial way to add content that doesn't really add anything functionally beyond a visual treat (that more often than not doesn't even mesh well with the rest of the game's aesthetics).

The costume mentioned above should have been a full power-up with 3 equivalents in the other styles, simple as that. Even worse, the fact that it is only a mystery mushroom costume instead of a power-up might even imply that Nintendo is not planning to include any more actual items, enemies or obstacles as DLC/updates for this game from now on, which to me would be very disappointing.

vikki

edit: Fuck, could this little piece of shit who just commented have reported the Miiverse post about the course? Further comments by anyone are blocked now.

Not sure exactly why Nintendo stopped the comments, but those comments are probably from little kids and I doubt Nintendo would freeze the comments just because of a couple kids. I looked up "Up and Up" and it's just a YouTube video of the guy making a level where the player has to climb, then using a door or pipe to bring the player to the bottom of the map in another area over and over. It's a fairly simple concept which is why I think it's kids commenting that you stole his idea.

Simbabbad

This and the rest of the (admittedly free, but that doesn't make me feel better) DLC/updates so far outside of checkpoints and dynamic item blocks have really started to sour me on Nintendo's decision to include and put so much attention on the mystery mushroom in SMB1. Imo they are a very superficial way to add content that doesn't really add anything functionally beyond a visual treat (that more often than not doesn't even mesh well with the rest of the game's aesthetics).
For me and for a huge percentage of makers (if I judge from what I see in the community), costumes are extremely important in Super Mario Maker - much, much more important than a suit we nearly never see or use in Super Mario Bros. 3 (which BTW is the least used style in the game, especially compared to SMB thanks to costumes).

Not sure exactly why Nintendo stopped the comments, but those comments are probably from little kids and I doubt Nintendo would freeze the comments just because of a couple kids.
If it's like most social networks, as soon as someone reports a level, it's frozen. Then it goes to a queue waiting to be reviewed before it's unlocked. They have no way to know what sort of player reported a level and it's not really relevant for them.

Bydobob

I made some levels if anyone wants to try them:

Pow Party: 13BA-0000-00FC-D98C

Pow Party focuses on some of the mechanics of pow blocks. Any feedback would be appreciated..

Ok, I actually liked this one until right at the end. Seriously, sort this room out. 3 times I got to the end and twice I got killed by the Bob-omb, and the one time I managed to avoid it I got trapped, as you can see by my comment. If you're not meant to go down here make it clearer. There were 3 POW blocks elsewhere though with 4 blocks needed to reach the door, and as this area contains lots of blocks it strongly hints that players should go down there.

Otherwise it was an inventive level and nicely challenging. I particularly liked the conveyor belt section. Just a word on the first section though, the POW blocks go all out of alignment if you miss the last jump and have to try again. Because of that I realised I could by-pass them altogether by just run jumping off the note blocks.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this one I made: Shells in a Cell.

It's a series of three short challenge rooms with shells. In lieu of something like boss fights, I like something more like this, and it was fun - and challenging - to put this one together. I felt like there were some unique ideas that I put into this one, so I want to hear what people here think.

Course ID: 5897-0000-00FE-96D0

A bit of a trolly level that I invested over 20 lives towards. The section after the checkpoint is a particular offender. Not only does the Koopa shell not always hit the note blocks, but the 2 giant Boos make this section unnecessarily cluttered. I eventually managed to get past this section only to find my progress blocked by 2 blocks after the conveyor belts. It was then a marathon run back only to get a face-full of giant Koopa with no way of jumping over him.

So I brought Super Mario Maker to our family gathering and let my nephew play around with experimenting with how enemies interact, in particular he started experimenting with how they interacted with level objects. It ended up giving me some inspiration to make a new level.

This is another modest length course of mine made to be simple, challenging, and strictly test your dexterity. I hope people find it enjoyable!

Good level with excellent use of enemies and the environment to make them seem turbocharged. I had much more trouble with the Chain Chomps than moles. They had a habit of blocking my path just as as I was going to make a jump and lost most of my lives right at the end as a result. At least I felt like it was my fault though, I tend to charge through levels whereas patience is required here.

I've posted these before but they got buried, now that the thread has slowed down I figured I'd post them again.

Grendel's Ghoulish House: F69A-0000-0067-944E

I enjoyed this level even though there were a few rough spots. One hidden block near the start brought me to my death, and there was a blind jump onto a moving Koopa shell that required luck not to fall right into its path. I also didn't particularly enjoy having to get myself hit deliberately to collect the star. Otherwise the level had a good flow and consistent challenge.

I've made a new level myself, feel free to check it out:

Double-crosser Jnr
DB52-0000-0100-11D9
Difficulty: Medium/Hard

Bowser Jnr is fed up playing second fiddle to his father so decides to team up with Mario and get his own back. The naughty little turncoat!

Raitaro

For me and for a huge percentage of makers (if I judge from what I see in the community), costumes are extremely important in Super Mario Maker - much, much more important than a suit we nearly never see or use in Super Mario Bros. 3 (which BTW is the least used style in the game, especially compared to SMB thanks to costumes).

That is fine and all, but some people like me just want to have the most complete authentic 2D Mario (creation) game available, not an editor bloated with gimmicky non-Mario costumes that ruin the authenticity of the experience. This is coming from someone with a Mario purist perspective of course, which I'll admit not everybody will agree to.

In my view, adding things that are not part of the original games, apart from new versions of enemies etc in games they didn't exist in before, should never get precedence over adding stuff like enemies and themes that are still missing from the actual games (possibly in service of the real time style switching mechanic, which I'm still not sure about in terms of what it adds). I'm sure there are more people who feel like this, people who simply want more old school 2D Mario goodness.

That said, if we can have both, I'm definitely not complaining. But that is just the thing, we might not as adding costumes is simply easier and more eye catching for Nintendo it seems than adding actual old content. The absurd fact that SMB 3 is the least used style, as you say, speaks volumes about what imo has become the (wrong) angle on this game from both Nintendo and many of the users, i.e. focusing on gimmicks and non-traditional Mario elements over providing the best - to quote Jeff Gerstmann - "old ass Mario levels," (which would definitely be found in SMB 3 or World if all their elements were included). To each their own I guess...

jarosh

Not sure exactly why Nintendo stopped the comments, but those comments are probably from little kids and I doubt Nintendo would freeze the comments just because of a couple kids. I looked up "Up and Up" and it's just a YouTube video of the guy making a level where the player has to climb, then using a door or pipe to bring the player to the bottom of the map in another area over and over. It's a fairly simple concept which is why I think it's kids commenting that you stole his idea.
Yeah I saw the level. But you'd think someone would bother to at least look at WHEN a course was uploaded before they post outright lies and report levels or posts.

Well I can't comment either so it's not just you. I thought Miiverse had a 1000~ comment limit, but that might be official accounts. Well I only saw two comments about that issue and if no one else can comment at least you don't have to worry about getting more.

EDIT: If it is a result of a report Miiverse staff will probably just ignore it and open up the level to comments again. Even if a level was a copy I doubt they'd really care.

If it's like most social networks, as soon as someone reports a level, it's frozen. Then it goes to a queue waiting to be reviewed before it's unlocked. They have no way to know what sort of player reported a level and it's not really relevant for them.
Yeah you guys are probably right. It's just kind of annoying. That's by far my most popular level and now people can't comment because some dickhead decided to report the thread for absolutely no reason.

Gurrry

I made a new level a few weeks ago that I havent had much time to promote, but its called Dodge The Stars.

Basically, you need to NOT get the stars that come at you.. otherwise.. you die.

Dodge The Stars - 5c15-0000-00e3-136a

My most popular level, Bombkset Ball, is also a good time! - 5928-0000-003A-DD78

Strigiday

Neo Member
Ok, I actually liked this one until right at the end. Seriously, sort this room out. 3 times I got to the end and twice I got killed by the Bob-omb, and the one time I managed to avoid it I got trapped, as you can see by my comment. If you're not meant to go down here make it clearer. There were 3 POW blocks elsewhere though with 4 blocks needed to reach the door, and as this area contains lots of blocks it strongly hints that players should go down there.

Otherwise it was an inventive level and nicely challenging. I particularly liked the conveyor belt section. Just a word on the first section though, the POW blocks go all out of alignment if you miss the last jump and have to try again. Because of that I realised I could by-pass them altogether by just run jumping off the note blocks.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right the last part of the level was definitely a bit of a mess. It was a trolly part in a level that didn't really have any other trolly parts. I had initially put it in as a bit of misdirection but looking back I see it was tonally inconsistent with the rest of the level. The intended solution was to bring a pow block from the previous screen so that you would have the four required to get through the final door.

I reuploaded the level with your feedback in mind. Here it is:

Pow Party 2.0: 45ED-0000-0101-9F60.

I changed the beginning section to have doors so that you could get the pow blocks back in sync. I also changed some enemy placements so there was less waiting for them to get out of the way. I reworked the conveyor belts so that they are more consistent getting the pow blocks all the way to the pipe. In the first upload they were much less consistent and you'd have to go back through the door in order to reset them. I also added some coins to show the intended path of some of the jumps. I also took out one of the trampolines so that players couldn't get through the door without three pow blocks. For the final section I took away all the bombs and the one way sign so that it doesn't function as a troll section. I also put an arrow in coins pointing down to help players understand to bring the pow block from the previous screen. Thanks again for the feedback. I think it helped make the level much better.

Alright, something a bit less stupid than my first one. Something not too easy and not too gimmicky. Still trying to come up with something that'll really pop without being gimmicky, but I dunno. Still at the drawing board on that.

BA39-0000-0101-9B25

Also, screw people who make an entire level hinge on one very specific thing being done perfectly, like ones with non-respawning P-Blocks in locations where it's easy to accidentally trigger them.

Strigiday

Neo Member
Here's some feedback on some of the levels I played

Alright, something a bit less stupid than my first one. Something not too easy and not too gimmicky. Still trying to come up with something that'll really pop without being gimmicky, but I dunno. Still at the drawing board on that.

BA39-0000-0101-9B25

I liked this level. It was fun to go through and wasn't too hard. It was effective how you used coins to direct the player along the intended path. One thing I found while playing is that you can use the cloud to get over the spike traps without having to use the stars.

Gurry said:

I really liked the idea behind this level. It was fun dodging the stars throughout the level. I also liked your checkpointing in the level. They were well placed and helped me feel like I was progressing through the level. One thing I noticed was that I was able to bypass using the wiggler bridge by jumping on top of the cannons. Also for some reason when I was spinjumping on the thwomps I wouldn't go through them even when I had a star.

Bydobob said:
Double-crosser Jnr
DB52-0000-0100-11D9

This level was pretty great. I wasn't able to finish it because of the difficulty but what I played of it was good. I viewed the whole level in the editor and it was very clever. I really liked some of the design elements. I liked how you hid tracks in vines in order to make them less conspicuous and how you used tracks as decoration in walls. I also thought it was really interesting how you were able to kill the flying pirahna plants with invisible blocks.I also liked how you had the thwomp hit the music notes. It was an interesting twist on what timing to use to get past a thwomp. I also liked how you used the one way signs for platforming..

CrisKre

So, since Old School Super Mario (Outpost) got positive feedback and it apparently didn't have any problem worth mentioning, I just published its sequel and final level in the series. I actually developed Old School Super Mario (Castle) - A82C-0000-00FF-99D6 in parallel to the Outpost level.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Castlet%2529.png

I met several challenges while developing this series: understanding what made the original Super Mario Bros., translating those mechanics and "rules" to Super Mario Maker despite its huge differences (physics, scrolling, enemy behaviour etc.), and despite the classic settings and limited tools, trying to give each level a specific personality or "hook" so it doesn't feel generic. In classic castle levels, the tools are even more limited than in the other settings, but I think I managed to make something memorable - I really like this level.

On one hand, the level has some "early ghost house" elements that are typical of SMB1 castle levels, and on the other hand, it stands very much on precision platforming. The idea is the simplicity of the tools and the difficulty of their positioning should cancel each other out to make a difficult but accessible, fair and enjoyable level. Obviously, this is the most difficult level in the series, which difficulty goes increasing.

If there aren't any issue with it, Old School Super Mario (Castle) actually concludes Old School Super Mario:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BWorld%2B%2528monde%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario.png

Fantastic level Emmanuel! Had a blast with it. Kudos.

Simbabbad

Fantastic level Emmanuel! Had a blast with it. Kudos.
Thank you! The code has actually changed though :p now it's D4BF-0000-0102-0810 (I edited some cosmetic details completely invisible for the player, but I'm a control freak and it bothered me)! My original post has been edited.

When I'll have more feedback on Old School Super Mario (Castle), I'll upload the final revision of Metroid Resurgence.

Bydobob

This level was pretty great. I wasn't able to finish it because of the difficulty but what I played of it was good. I viewed the whole level in the editor and it was very clever. I really liked some of the design elements. I liked how you hid tracks in vines in order to make them less conspicuous and how you used tracks as decoration in walls. I also thought it was really interesting how you were able to kill the flying pirahna plants with invisible blocks.I also liked how you had the thwomp hit the music notes. It was an interesting twist on what timing to use to get past a thwomp. I also liked how you used the one way signs for platforming..

I'm impressed you took the time out to look at the little details. Thanks for playing and sorry you weren't able to complete it. Perhaps I was optimistic with my medium/hard grading.

Glad you found my feedback useful on your level. Will gladly try the revised version.

chrixter

Old School Super Mario (Castle) - D4BF-0000-0102-0810
Nice, clean level that does feel old school. Difficulty felt just right for a classically designed castle level. Enjoyed it!

Really enjoy seeing levels that turn Mario mechanics on their head. This is a fun one. First area seemed more challenging than the rest of the level, particularly right before the first pipe that you're supposed to go through with the gaps in between the Wigglers. But maybe it was just me getting accustomed to the level's mechanic. Good variety in the uses of enemies and the ways you throw stars at the player to mix up the action.

I like the concept, though of course it's a little tedious in practice. The pow block in the note block room with the two springs was particularly frustrating - not sure if there's a good way to tackle that, felt like I was at the mercy of RNG there. Also, in the area where you're meant to stack two pow blocks, you can simply jump over the four stacked stone blocks and proceed to the pipe. Otherwise, well-executed concept.

BA39-0000-0101-9B25
Solid level. I'll point out that many would consider vertical coins leading downward to bottomless pits to be unfairly misleading, since most players tend to trust the designer and follow the coin path and will simply fall to their death before they realize they need to hold left or right. But if your intention is to deceive players with the coins (which I suspect it is since it appears a couple times in the level) then it was successful on me!

Double-crosser Jnr
DB52-0000-0100-11D9
I've played several of your levels and they've all had just the right amount of difficulty I look for when I'm in the mood for hard (but not Kaizo-esque) levels. Just excellent, tight level design that demands platforming precision of the player but remains fair and doesn't require anything extreme or ridiculous. And I've seen a couple neat touches in your levels that I hadn't seen prior, such as the Thwomp bouncing off the note blocks in this one. Also learned from your level that you can't land on top of the one-way arrows that face left/right unless you're jumping from the opposite direction that they're pointing in. Made that part slightly more mind-bending than it would've been otherwise with just some normal blocks/platforms, which was cool.

I made a new level if anyone is interested in the challenge.

Cloudrush Revenge: CDAE-0000-0102-DC92

jeXyXjS.jpg

Much harder, more intense sequel to my previous level. Whereas you could somewhat bumble your way through Cloudrush Castle and still beat it without much trouble, you're fucked in Cloudrush Revenge if you haven't mastered control of Lakitu's Cloud. Many may find this level to be frustrating, but I don't think I'll be compromising on its difficulty with updates (as I did with my previous level) since the level design is intended to spotlight how Lakitu's Cloud controls just as tight as Mario himself.

J-Fr

BA39-0000-0101-9B25

Not a fan of coins leading into pits.
Also you give a Mushroom just before a destructible block, the said block being the only available path.. Video

The puzzle with the saw-blades felt like a lottery, I grab a POW block once, are you supposed to grab them mid-air? Video

Fun level, the beginning felt harder overall. I was maybe getting better? Video

If you want to try, I made a level based on the same mechanics (albeit less frantic):
Starmen Invasion - C9E2-0000-00F8-1D47

Double-crosser Jnr
DB52-0000-0100-11D9

I would rate the difficulty as very hard. I haven't made it to the checkpoint in 10 minutes.
The aesthetics were good! Video

So, since Old School Super Mario (Outpost) got positive feedback and it apparently didn't have any problem worth mentioning, I just published its sequel and final level in the series. I actually developed Old School Super Mario (Castle) - D4BF-0000-0102-0810 in parallel to the Outpost level.

I loved both Old School Super Mario (Outpost) and Old School Super Mario (Castle). I had a lot of stupid death but they never felt unfair. Video

I had the layout for smb 1-1 and sml 4-1 laying around on my Wii U. I mixed them with a bit of Super Meat Boy:

Super Meat Bros 1-1
ID - C1EA-0000-0101-41EC
A mix between Super Mario Bros and Super Meat Boy, hard-hard very difficulty. The last set of stairs is very treacherous. Video

Super Meat Land 4-1
ID - 2515-0000-0101-4E41
A mix between Super Mario Land and Super Meat Boy, hard-very hard difficulty. The original level was hard, the auto-scrolling + saw-blades is pushing it further. Video

The Mario Bros remix is about restriction, whereas the Mario Land one is about using the whole space of the level to your advantage.

tav7623

I recently got this game as a gift and was curious if there was a separate NeoGaf thread where people can share their created levels? If not then here are the first 10 levels I've created/uploaded and if you feel like it let me know what y'all think.

My first Mario 1 test maze: 72E2-0000-00F1-B25A
NSMB U underground test maze: 0866-0000-00F1-B7CF
NSMB U wall jump test maze: 8745-0000-00F3-1E94
My first castle stage: 92EB-0000-00F7-9013
My first airship level: B556-0000-00F7-94DB
SMB 3 Airship Nightmare?:80D3-0000-00F7-9BBF
NSMBU Tricky Castle?: B4A1-0000-00F7-E979
SMB 3 Castle Tower Nightmares: 4C9B-0000-00FA-BBBE
My first ft13th inspired level: 934C-0000-00FC-BE5E
P-Switch Castle Dash: DB24-0000-0103-E3F0

Simbabbad

So, I waited for Old School Super Mario to be entirely published and for some feedback on it to be sure I won't update it later (to keep the right order in my level list) to publish the final version of Metroid Resurgence.

Many, many thanks to Arkain, Schlomo, J-Fr, CrisKre, correojon, Thud and Wuvwii on Miiverse for their feedback, in particular J-Fr and correojon for their very useful videos. They all helped me to achieve this final wave of improvements.

I'll list the levels and changes below, then finally shut up about the series. Each level is inspired by a NES Metroid area: Brinstar focuses on traditional powerup use in a slow, methodical puzzle/adventure stage with an atmosphere close to Super Metroid, Kraid is more action-focused, Ridley is all about secret passages (like the original Norfair/Ridley levels), and finally, Tourian is straight action against the Metroids, Tourian's defence system, and Mother Brain.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BBrinstar.png

Metroid Resurgence - Brinstar

Changes:

- The room with the jumping Koopas has been altered so it flows better, two blue Spike Tops in the centre were removed (they complicated everything).
- A very obvious Samus Power Suit dispenser has been added next to the second checkpoint, while the easily unnoticed mushroom dispenser in the Stiletto room has been removed.
- After you get the giant Stiletto, you now have to break hard blocks, to make clear you can break those blocks.
- Blocks have been arranged before the final battle to make breaking the floor more intuitive.
- Many enemies have been arranged, changed, or flat out removed in the final battle.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BKraid.png

Metroid Resurgence - Kraid

Changes:

- The first checkpoint, which was basically useless and probably misleading, has been removed.
- The solid platform in the room with the two giant Chomps has been replaced by a bridge located a block lower, so exploring the room is more fair.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BRidley.png

Metroid Resurgence - Ridley

Changes:

- The sequence around the boss fight is now easier to explore and the correct path is clearer, the annoying Spike Top has been removed.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BTourian.png

Metroid Resurgence - Tourian

Changes:

- In the mini-rooms just before Mother Brain, the Podoboos/Lava Bubbles have a lower range, a fire bar has been removed, some red cannons have been replaced by black (slower) cannons, and the brick wall just before Mother Brain has been removed.
- The cannons around Mother Brain have all been removed, but the lower Bullet Bill launchers have been replaced by red, homing Bullet Bill launchers. The fight is now IMO more readable, fairer and more interesting.

In all the levels:

- There is now an optional "mini-challenge" at the end of the stage that should put a big smile on your face if completed.

All my posts about Metroid Resurgence in this thread now have updated cards.

----

More feedback:

THE PUZZLING GOLDEN VESSEL (version 3)
990F-0000-00FF-A431
I was prevented from leaving a comment on your stage (I don't know if it's because you left duplicates or if some bastard reported you), and it's a shame because I absolutely LOVED it.

It's a really good thing you didn't keep the mandatory powerup chain because the more free and interconnected way the level works is extremely pleasant, it reminded me of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, at first I was even trying to grab all the coins for fun. The exploration is perfect, the way items are used is clever, the level looks great, the challenge is good.

The main issue I met is (I bet you expect it) the time. This is a level where you want to take your time to explore, but it's too long for the 500 time limit, and this is made worse by the checkpoints, which aren't useful and even confuse things up. Restarting from a checkpoint makes you lose all your powerups, and the only way I found to get them back is to take pipes to the beginning of the stage - but then, what's the point of the checkpoints? Maybe I missed something, but when I timed out, I just restarted from scratch because it was much easier to redo what I knew rather than to find new paths without my Yoshi/helmet/Cape/Fire Flower.

It is not a major issue, though (even if I think the level would be better if shorter, or broken into two levels), and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of your jewel. Congratulations. I hope the comment issue will be resolved shortly.

When people say they want to see my ideas expanded on, what in particular do you mean? Is it just having a longer level where the gimmick occurs more frequently, or trying to find increasing creative ways of utilizing the mechanic (which backfired with Heartfelt Dreams 2, IMO)?
Well, I guess having what occurs in games in general: you meet a new mechanic, and then it expands and develops. Here you think: "oh, that's interesting!", and then the thing stops and the level explores something else, and you feel it's a shame.

Double-crosser Jnr
DB52-0000-0100-11D9
When you give feedback and announce a new level you did in the same post, you should talk about your level first, because otherwise it's lost amidst feedback not directed to most viewers, and one has tendency to miss it - I realized there was a level in your post by accident.

I loved a lot of things about your level: is uses Junior (I love his costume), it looks good, it uses familiar obstacles in new and creative ways, it has excellent sequences, it's readable, challenge is really tense... but it has a checkpoint problem. It's not so much that some sequences are hard, it's rather that you don't want to repeat all the sequences before it again and again. You expect a checkpoint after the first door, and then I got really confused at the part with the two Bowsers on rails. This room is way too random and it comes after a (good) running sequence that is very tight, so I gave up because I didn't want to redo that sequence again and again just to have another chance at the next that I didn't understand and died very quickly in. A powerup (at least) would help. I did star your level, though.

Much harder, more intense sequel to my previous level. Whereas you could somewhat bumble your way through Cloudrush Castle and still beat it without much trouble, you're fucked in Cloudrush Revenge if you haven't mastered control of Lakitu's Cloud. Many may find this level to be frustrating, but I don't think I'll be compromising on its difficulty with updates (as I did with my previous level) since the level design is intended to spotlight how Lakitu's Cloud controls just as tight as Mario himself.
First, thank you for your feedback on Old School Super Mario (Castle)!

I liked Cloudrush Revenge much better than Cloudrush Castle even though I beat Castle and not Revenge, Cloudrush Castle had way too many recharges that allowed the player to walk through patterns. Here, it goes straight into deadly action for a mix of old 8-bit inertia games like Thrust or Gravitar, and die & retry design like Super Meat Boy. Patterns are excellent and tightly designed, having to jump to a new cloud adds welcome tension, like you said, the level helped me realize how good the cloud controls are... but I managed to reach the first checkpoint only by sacrificing my costume into the last turn, with the autoscroll it's very very tight, and I admit I gave up quite quickly the sequence after that. The spikes, moving platforms and trampolines are IMO too much to manage on top of the autoscroll, or at least, not at this speed.

I did star the course anyway.

I loved both Old School Super Mario (Outpost) and Old School Super Mario (Castle). I had a lot of stupid death but they never felt unfair. Video
Thank you very much! It's amazing to watch people play my levels! You surprised me
in the underground "secret" screen of "Outpost", I didn't think people would manage to make that jump
! It was great watching you finally get its other item at 11:20. In general, your playthrough of "Outpost" really confirmed the "playground" philosophy I wanted to apply in it works, so thanks again for that.
It was funny you play Old School Super Mario (Castle) like it were a Super Meat Boy level, I did think about Super Meat Boy while making it (it's easier, though). The ending of your playthrough was epic :p !

I had the layout for smb 1-1 and sml 4-1 laying around on my Wii U. I mixed them with a bit of Super Meat Boy:

Super Meat Bros 1-1
ID - C1EA-0000-0101-41EC
A mix between Super Mario Bros and Super Meat Boy, hard-hard very difficulty. The last set of stairs is very treacherous. Video

Super Meat Land 4-1
ID - 2515-0000-0101-4E41
A mix between Super Mario Land and Super Meat Boy, hard-very hard difficulty. The original level was hard, the auto-scrolling + saw-blades is pushing it further. Video

The Mario Bros remix is about restriction, whereas the Mario Land one is about using the whole space of the level to your advantage.
Reposted for new page ;-) ! I'll play them soon!

----

You can check my levels in:

- My (French) blog
- SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

Well, I guess having what occurs in games in general: you meet a new mechanic, and then it expands and develops. Here you think: "oh, that's interesting!", and then the thing stops and the level explores something else, and you feel it's a shame.
Hmm, well, the moving chain chomps were the main point of the level, not the monty moles, so they were designed more as a possible addition to that challenge (depending on how you handle them) and not as the basis for the level.

Simbabbad

@KittenMaster: I'm just giving you player feedback :) I didn't feel the chomps were the point of the level at all. To be honest, I barely remember them.

I get that. I was just explaining how I screwed up not doing more with the monty moles.

Maybe I'll make a sequel, but the last time I did that the level was worse, so... I don't know.

Mael

New Level!

WVW69infTkYIOfGGSc

Fire in the hole : 688B-0000-0104-12C8
2 bosses, a few alternate routes and I hope a clear passage.
I think I was maybe a bit too stingy on the coins though...

I don't think I got that many feedback on the labyrinth though...
7D88-0000-00F9-8AA1
WVW69imPgkAVNjLkjQ

To Spin or Not to Spin: E948-0000-00F9-B79E
Will someone please play and give some feedback on my level? It´s sitting there with just 3 plays and 0 stars, which is strange as 2 of those 3 people managed to beat it :S

I like this level, it was a bit confusing to get the the alternate routes (I don't think I got them all).
Some of the jumps were a bit tricky to get, I didn't really liked that you could lose powerups forever meaning there was little room for errors.
Otherwise it's rarely confusing, I think there's a few unintended shortcuts but otherwise I liked it.
It gave me an idea for a level that is in finishing touches that I'm not sure is that great but heh.

Videos are live!
First of all I must say I enjoyed a lot all the levels, I had been playing expert mode the last few days and wow, GAF levels are truly something else. So thanks to everyone for the good time and for restoring my faith in SMM!

If you ever feel like the levels you do or play on GAF are not too good, 100 Marios is a great reality check!
I give a star on every non crap level in that mode, because really you gotta thank people who take their time to make something actually good!

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 6-1
  • Forest Canyon (33EB-0000-00F0-9216) by Mael: I love levels based on exploration and with many secrets and this one provides just that. I enjoyed a lot looking and finding secrets everywhere.
    The only complaint I have about this level is that there are many instant death instances in the form of bottomless pits, which I think don´t mix well with exploration. If you want the player to explore you have to provide a safe environment: I don´t mean that there should be no hazards, but they should be clearly isolated and identified so the player doesn´t fear trying things and going to seemengly unexpected places. In this regard, the bottomless pits in this level hurt exploration a bit: I died once by willingly dropping to a pit in hopes there was somethings down there other than death. After this, I became much more careful and stopped looking in some places where they may have been something hidden. I suggest you either block these pits with spikes or Grinders, so it becomes clear to the player that he shouldn´t go down there.
    There were also some confusing parts in the cave, but I guess that mixes well with a level so focused on exploration, so just a minor remark.
    In conclusion, I enjoyed a lot this level, thank you!

• It could be better arranged with the upper path being on top of a safe spot instead of being double bottomless pits :/
    Unlike the last level, the top path is always the harder path.
    Having playtested at home with my wife and friends, I feel like the lower/easier path tend to be useless because no one wants to go through a regular path with barely any challenge.
    but if you make only 1 path and it's too hard, it's frustrating even if the setback isn't death.

Thanks for the feedback

Model 500

Finally had enough time to make a new level!

(New code edit, fixed a cheese one streamer found)

Get Me Outta Here:
6DC2-0000-010A-33DC

WVW69ioTAZY3yeQWe7

The level is all about timing, tight platforming skills and fun gameplay flow. The difficulty is very hard for normal players, easy for expert speedrunners and impossible for beginners. Let me know what you think if you try it!

KooopaKid

Banned
After a long hiatus, I'm back for another level. Pure platforming again.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-3

Code: 6417-0000-0104-450B

tkb5IhO.jpg

Two previous levels :

Planet 2-1:
Code: 8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8
qfkFHpB.jpg

Planet 2-2:
Code: BF46-0000-00E6-1C99
2Kzmy7D.jpg

Going to play a few GAF levels soon.

Bydobob

I've played several of your levels and they've all had just the right amount of difficulty I look for when I'm in the mood for hard (but not Kaizo-esque) levels. Just excellent, tight level design that demands platforming precision of the player but remains fair and doesn't require anything extreme or ridiculous. And I've seen a couple neat touches in your levels that I hadn't seen prior, such as the Thwomp bouncing off the note blocks in this one. Also learned from your level that you can't land on top of the one-way arrows that face left/right unless you're jumping from the opposite direction that they're pointing in. Made that part slightly more mind-bending than it would've been otherwise with just some normal blocks/platforms, which was cool.

I made a new level if anyone is interested in the challenge.

jeXyXjS.jpg

Thanks for your comments. Yeah I noticed you've been quietly playing (and completing!) some of my levels and it's great to see. We obviously like the same type of levels.

As for your level, I should know better than to drink before playing levels like this, but I got there in the end. The middle part was easily the hardest, I lost count of the number of times I got hit by the large Bob-omb. You need a very good run through the blocks not to get caught. The last part I was able to damage boost to the finish and felt like I cheated. Great level though, it brings back the panic levels I was so fond of on Cloudrush 1 v1, and is a really focused test of skill and dexterity.

I would rate the difficulty as very hard. I haven't made it to the checkpoint in 10 minutes.
The aesthetics were good! Video

Really interesting watching you play my level, you almost reached the checkpoint! Yeah 10 minutes probably isn't enough to complete it. Interesting how you tackled the Koopa shell bit by jumping off the vines.
If you jump off the flame platform you can land directly onto to shell and take out all the plants, opening up a secret. There is another one at the note block Thwomp, but Bowser Jnr is needed.

When you give feedback and announce a new level you did in the same post, you should talk about your level first, because otherwise it's lost amidst feedback not directed to most viewers, and one has tendency to miss it - I realized there was a level in your post by accident.

I loved a lot of things about your level: is uses Junior (I love his costume), it looks good, it uses familiar obstacles in new and creative ways, it has excellent sequences, it's readable, challenge is really tense... but it has a checkpoint problem. It's not so much that some sequences are hard, it's rather that you don't want to repeat all the sequences before it again and again. You expect a checkpoint after the first door, and then I got really confused at the part with the two Bowsers on rails. This room is way too random and it comes after a (good) running sequence that is very tight, so I gave up because I didn't want to redo that sequence again and again just to have another chance at the next that I didn't understand and died very quickly in. A powerup (at least) would help. I did star your level, though.

Consider me told off ;)

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I wondered how people would approach the Bowser section, I guess the room to the right confuses people. I wanted to provide players with another Bowser Jnr if players got hit, but wanted them to work for it. In hindsight I should have placed the room to the left as people's instinct is to go to the right to complete a level.

I played your Old School Super Mario castle level by the way and really enjoyed it. A very streamlined level with enemies and hazards particularly well-timed. I liked how the first powerup was tricky to get hold of without the correct timing. I got stuck very briefly at the pipe bit though, trying the empty ones twice each in the misguided hope one of them hid a secret. They ended up just serving as an unnecessary diversion.

Top Bottom