• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

All right. I've created my first full world. The levels aren't too gimmicky or difficult as I was trying to create something that could actually fit in an original Mario game.

Pesca 1-1
(1597-0000-0014-8573)

Pesca 1-2
(2796-0000-0016-2B01)

Pesca 1-3
(04E3-0000-001A-902D)

Pesca 1-4
(4BAB-0000-001B-70A0)

If you save them in your Coursebot and line them up you can actually play them consecutively if you press the arrow on the left. Pretty neat!

Now to work on World 2!

jholmes

Ok, my stage has only a 6,66% of succesful tries and I don't know why because after all it's not so hard. It's a puzzle-action stage with a particular mechanic that involves a lot the concept of "hurt".

If you didn't see my old post, the code for the stage is 4780-0000-0017-661D, give it a try. I'm really curious about what gaffers would say about my work.

When I checked my first level early in the afternoon, it only had something like a 15% completion rate. I was pretty shocked given that I didn't think it was really hard at all -- you can die for sure, but it's really pretty standard by Super Mario standards.

Food for thought for the people out there obsessed with ramping up the difficulty to new records.

How's the quality of the games included on the disc?

I did a run-through of the 10 lives challenge -- not sure exactly what's default on the disc besides the remixes and what's user-made -- and all the default unlock stages. The stuff that I know is from Nintendo is all rather good!

galvatron

I made my first stage a tutorial stage for the absolute beginner since I heard that people wanted stages for their young children. Hopefully they'll be hooked for 30 years like I was :)

How to play super mario bros: 4903-0000-001C-17E2

Anteo

Hm, the star should have run out by the beetle helmet. As long as you got through it, it works, but I wonder how I mistimed that. Maybe I should add some wall-jumps in the intermediate area to waste time.

I downloaded it and testest it, its much easier to navigate the thwomp area after they destroy the floor a bit, also I managed to navigate the pits before the thwomps without using the propeller and that saved a ton of time. If I miss one jump and I'm forced to use the propeller to stay on the platforms the star wont last long enough to go through the thwomps area

It's hard to wait new items for maker tool. :(

They say I have to wait until tomorrow, but It's too long. :(

They patched it so there are more ways to unlock parts easily: use every item, even combinations of items if posible. Then just put lots of blocks on the map, it should trigger the delivery truck

SegaShack

I brought this home a half hour ago, put it in the console and was prompted to update it. It has been a half hour and the update is only half way done. Is this normal? Is it a big update?

My download speed is 55 megabits so I'm confused.

Did the unlock trick stop working at some point today (trick being nothing more than setting your internal clock forward a day)? I got two days ahead and no deliveries since.

galvatron

I brought this home a half hour ago, put it in the console and was prompted to update it. It has been a half hour and the update is only half way done. Is this normal? Is it a big update?

My download speed is 55 megabits so I'm confused.

Not a big update at all...but I think my first attempt at an update failed and shutdown the Wii U. Maybe yours crashed?

Vena

Finally made a level (after unlocking a lot of tools needed). I tried to follow actual level design philosophies in making this even though it is, as a first, pretty simple. Let me know what you guys think!

MetaKnight's Wiggler Adventure 1

25EB-0000-001C-242B

WVW69iYC5d4fqvw3-r

I keep getting notifications of people having played my levels but when I go into my level panels their names aren't there? This happening to anybody else?

Trying to unlock all the costumes has been a soul crushing experience so far.

Grinding the 100 Mario Challenge is basically playing an infinite amount of the worst Mario games of all time just to get another damn animal crossing character. Seriously Digby gtfo my face.

LostComplex

Neo Member
I only found one, where would the second one have been?

The version you played only had 1. My updated level has 2. I closed off the area where the koopa is, because in the first version you could just jump to where the koopa is at the end.

Reposting the updated ID:

A Koopa's Journey
ID: D988-0000-001B-D37B

Any feedback is appreciated!

Dad

Alright, my first level. I'd put it at medium-hard in an actual Mario game.

Ike's Air Raid
83A6-0000-001C-3772

Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated!

My first level, just threw it together. Like any SMB level if you speed through it you will find you can do it all without ever stopping, I made sure of it. Use the turtles.

32B5-0000-001C-398C

Any feedback would be great.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Phew! Took a while to tweak this one just right.

WVW69iYCyYwyShPX4G

Unfriendly Skies
2250-0000-001C-0FED

Kind of a puzzle box more than anything. Lemme know what ya'll think!

massoluk

Banned
Honestly didn't expect 5.55% clear rate on my latest course... It seemed so simple to me. Probably need more pointing arrows :\

lt519

Would of been cool if they allowed for the three star coin or five Yoshi coin collection mechanic and had that trigger a level completion or access to the goal. Would of added a ton more possibilities into the mix.

Honestly didn't expect 5.55% clear rate on my latest course... It seemed so simple to me. Probably need more pointing arrows :

Most of us are seasoned Mario vets AND we have the benefit of making the level and knowing its intent. Is the percentage number of lives lost vs completions or is it unique players vs completions?

Just finished the first level.

Gazorpazorp
B346-0000-001C-4074

Please try it out.

When I get home I'll definitely play this one (also try to play a lot of others but still) - that's how you hook me in, by the name.o

As for possible creations on my side - I think I'll try mimicking some DKC levels. Not sure how exactly they'd work but I have some ideas for barrells, tires and moving vines.

Kriken

This level is called... "Can you get 1 coin?"

Course ID: 4702-0000-001C-2213

Should be 2 coins
The first koopa troopa makes getting a coin easy

The version you played only had 1. My updated level has 2. I closed off the area where the koopa is, because in the first version you could just jump to where the koopa is at the end.

Reposting the updated ID:

A Koopa's Journey
ID: D988-0000-001B-D37B

Any feedback is appreciated!

I figured you could, but I didn't want to risk despawning him

KingBroly

Banned
Trying to unlock all the costumes has been a soul crushing experience so far.

Grinding the 100 Mario Challenge is basically playing an infinite amount of the worst Mario games of all time just to get another damn animal crossing character. Seriously Digby gtfo my face.

You can play Easy and unlock them, you know.

Finished unlocking all the items using the clock trick. I futzed around a bit, but no stages worth sharing yet.

As for ones I played on the main page, the Shmup stage was a lot of fun. The person made as close as they could do a bullet hell auto scroll stage in Mario. It is creative uses like that that excite me.

And while the "Don't press anything!" stages are very impressive that someone got the timing on everything down that well, it is also boring because you just sit and watch.

ChuckNyce

Alright GAF, my first level has been uploaded. Nothing special but let me know what you think. Funny thing is I wasn't even gonna pick this up as I usually don't go far with these level editor games, but I gotta say Im enjoying it so far. Game friggin oozes charm.

I Believe They Can Fly
7FCF-0000-001A-3F5F

ChrisD

There's a strange, highly uplifting feeling seeing someone make the one and only comment on your stage to say that it's "creative and challenging." Thank you, random person. =,)

massoluk

Banned
Jesus christ, seeing people struggling on my course is heartbreaking. It wasn't supposed to be hard. What have I done. It's at ~3% now.

ChrisD

Jesus christ, seeing people struggling on my course is heartbreaking. It wasn't supposed to be hard. What have I done. It's at ~3% now.

I thought mine was a walk in the park. 2 out of 24 plays actually finished it haha.
We really don't have Nintendo's for everyone approach in these veteran Mario minds.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, GAF, after about 6 hours, I've finally finished my first level...and I gotta say, I think I did a great job. Presenting...

BRAMBLE BLAST
C477-0000-001C-6682

For the full effect, of course play this: Courtesy of David Wise...

By the way, how does it figure what picture of the level to use for the preview? It picked a dull one for mine...

My 7 and 5 year old kids are going fucking bonkers over this game. The fact that a 7 year old can take a set of tools and can make a Mario level shows Nintendo knows how to innovate this create genre. This one game proves the gamepad was an amazing idea.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR

It really isn't that surprising. Watching youtubes and twitch streams has brought me to the conclusion that people are mega bad at Mario even though they like to pretend that the games are their "favorite" of a time.

Some levels for GAF to try:

Level Title: March of the Koopas
ID: 431B-0000-0018-BBC3
Description of Gameplay Elements: A level that relies on understanding multiple functions of Mario's abilities, and being able to act on them quickly. Plus a fun little puzzle at the end.
Images / Video: http://i.imgur.com/FfPL2wk.jpg

Level Title: A Link Between Trampolines
ID: 0EB7-0000-0017-E79A
Description of Gameplay Elements: You play as Link (unless you get hit!) as you traverse a world dominated by trampolines. Two paths to victory! Don't let the thumbnail fool you. (This level earned me my first star! I'm such a happy designer.)
Images / Video: http://i.imgur.com/yYQccfn.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Whoa! Not really excited by the idea of a puzzle box but that screenshot has sold me.

Well, it's only kinda puzzley! I spent a lot of time trying to make sure you couldn't screw yourself into being able to not complete it, providing alternate solutions. I did discover one way you can screw it up too late, but it's pretty unlikely.

Not

Banned
I thought mine was a walk in the park. 2 out of 24 plays actually finished it haha.
We really don't have Nintendo's for everyone approach in these veteran Mario minds.

It's funny to realize the people crying for harder levels really are the minority

It's weird, some of these stages I make, I think I'm making too easy, and then ten people play it and only one person completes it.

SMW Style
Testing Thwomp's Patience (A4D5-0000-001B-0AA8). The gimmick being progressively more difficult uses for large Thwomps breaking blocks.
Boo's Basement (2884-0000-001A-5F84). Starts off in a haunted house, but is actually a water themed level. This was my first level in Mario Maker.
Tripping Over Wiggler (D6EA-0000-001B-8703). You'll see why it's called Tripping.
Kamek's Magic Blocks (EC70-0000-001B-C8E6). A small castle stage where the boss uses Magikoopa's gimmick of turning blocks into junk.

SMB3 Style
Sky Patrol (F6C1-0000-001C-2BC8). Just a standard Air Ship level.

There's barely any SMW or SMB3 levels out there, so I'm trying my best to rep them. Especially World, it's my favorite 2D Mario. I grew up with it.
On the GBA

scurker

So this is a first time in a while I've actually run my Gamepad dead on the Wii U. This game is so good! I've been trying to balance my levels to make them challenging, but hopefully still someone new could complete after a couple of tries.

But just finished up my second level:

Pipe Dream - 50BA-0000-001C-51F7

MrPanic

My second level is done. The primary gimmick is having a multitude of paths to choose from, all with its own set of challenges. Feedback is appreciated.

Bowser's Backup Cave
4287-0000-001A-5BD8

Top Bottom