• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

OmegaDL50

Jesus Christ, all the code sharing completely ruins this OT.

Perhaps someone would be willing to create a thread that is entirely dedicated for Level Share Codes?

I mean what else do you expect a OT about Super Mario Maker to be about?

The entire premise of the game is to create your own levels, play, and share them.

If anything else, the OT at least is falling in-line with the spirit of the game. I mean what better purpose would you think an OT for Super Mario Maker would be suitable for?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't seem unlock anything despite spending 10 mins tweaking my level. I thought the patched that so you didn't have to wait a day?

Gsnap

So. I didn't get much time to play, had to go out of town for the weekend but during the time I did play, I was in love. The presentation is so slick. The menus are great. I love how the minimalistic loading screen phases into the menu screen which phases into the game proper. The gamepad integration is absolutely sublime. The digital manual is owing my mind. Characters? Videos? Developer notes? Amazing. And yes, it really does make the act of creating fun to play around with and intuitive.

As far as creating actual levels goes, it's really interesting how the high concept stuff is really easy but the small details is where things get really difficult. As much as I want to have all the tools, and plan on unlocking them as quickly as possible, I can understand the concept of only giving people a few tools at first. Because I have the hardest time deciding what to do with the small details.

I love it though. I'll have some real levels to play in a few days.

Kensuke

Here are the first two levels I have made.
48sgMJI.jpg

i6U6ozu.jpg

They both have low completion rates so maybe I made them too hard. I don't think so.

Both of them have multiple pathways and secrets :O

I wanted to highlight these 2 levels. There are great. The creator also spent a lot of time in the little details which makes them look quite elaborate.

7threst

Made my first test level with a 1-2 SMB-theme. Such a fun creator! Even though there are so many items not in it, the items you can use are more than enough to create amazing levels. The user-content is generally of a very good quality!

Maybe it's an idea if people just post the 1 or 2 levels they're really proud of per week? This thread is getting swamped and I can't imagine many people playing all of them.

Probably already posted, but like I said this thread is moving too fast, this is in the Netherlands' largest shopping mall.

OUTHt2V.jpg

Nice! Hoog-Catharijne?

KingBroly

Banned
Hmm...I seem to have a flaw in terms of where I thought I could go in my latest level. I wish I could update it instead of having to delete and re-upload the level. Oh well.

Wingus

Playing the 100 Mario mode and I don't get why some people upload literally empty levels.

Just played one that automatically changed me to K.K Slider and it's a long dash to the exit with nothing else :(

I figured someone would have suggested a code sharing thread already, so I didn't want to tread there.

Even with one, I think some basic structure would be necessary for people browsing to not feel overwhelmed and disinterested, as well as to help those sharing their levels to find interested players. I appreciate all the descriptions everyone is giving for their levels, but they're practically blending together at this point.

Something like:

Level Name:
Game Style:
Difficulty:
Brief Description:
Code:

...Could help people searching for levels they're actually interested in instead of getting burned out on pulling random codes from here. It's not perfect, but something along those lines might be good.

Edit: and to all those clever folks quoting me above and pointing out how dumb you think my original comment is, I honestly can't see how you would enjoy scrolling through pages of people sharing ambiguously described levels with little discussion of the actual game (I enjoy reading OTs for that purpose, so apologies if that's unheard of). It's bound to get "worse" over time, too.

taoofjord

This game is absolutely brilliant. I can't wait to see the amazing levels that come out of the community in a few months. A lot of things right now are really creative and interesting but don't play all that well. I'm looking for that great feel of momentum that you can keep in the best Mario levels.

7threst

Playing the 100 Mario mode and I don't get why some people upload literally empty levels.

Just played one that automatically changed me to K.K Slider and it's a long dash to the exit with nothing else :(

Some just want to upload instead of putting effort in their levels. Was the same with LittleBigPlanet :(

taoofjord

Made my first test level with a 1-2 SMB-theme. Such a fun creator! Even though there are so many items not in it, the items you can use are more than enough to create amazing levels. The user-content is generally of a very good quality!

Nice! Hoog-Catharijne?

That's a really smart advertisement. Really cool!

KingBroly

Banned

As it says in the Manual, levels will get deleted over time if they don't get Starred enough. I don't Star effortless levels.

I'll post my latest level ID in case people want to tell me what's wrong with it. It's apparently harder than I thought.

ID: ID: 997D-0000-001F-0267

I am aware of the Hallway leading to nothing. I didn't realize you could get to it until I uploaded it.

Xhorder

I bought the game yesterday and really love it. One of my earlier (kind of okayish) levels has been played for more than 200 times already. But today I really made one that is much better and more in line with the level design in the Mario games (at least I tried so). No crazy amount of enemies and other ridiculous stuff. Still, nobody has played it yet. :-(

So I would like to share this level of mine right here:

Level Name: Castle Of Consequence
Game Style: A castle level
Difficulty: Normal to hard
Brief Description: A castle level you could expect in any Mario game. No crazy amount of enemies or ridiculous stuff. Also try to get all the 1UP's!
Code: 6E95-0000-0020-56AA

Does anyone know how to create the coral blocks on the underwater levels? (I'm using the original Super Mario Bros design). Right now I can only seem to make them appear randomly, I don't know how to specifically choose them.

Does anyone know how to create the coral blocks on the underwater levels? (I'm using the original Super Mario Bros design). Right now I can only seem to make them appear randomly, I don't know how to specifically choose them.

Can you not copy them with ZR/ZL when they do appear? That's how you otherwise customize un-place-able background elements.

Kangi

They're made if you place ground blocks vertically.

taoofjord

I figured someone would have suggested a code sharing thread already, so I didn't want to tread there.

Even with one, I think some basic structure would be necessary for people browsing to not feel overwhelmed and disinterested, as well as to help those sharing their levels to find interested players. I appreciate all the descriptions everyone is giving for their levels, but they're practically blending together at this point.

Something like:

Level Name:
Game Style:
Difficulty:
Brief Description:
Code:

...Could help people searching for levels they're actually interested in instead of getting burned out on pulling random codes from here. It's not perfect, but something along those lines might be good.

Edit: and to all those clever folks quoting me above and pointing out how dumb you think my original comment is, I honestly can't see how you would enjoy scrolling through pages of people sharing ambiguously described levels with little discussion of the actual game (I enjoy reading OTs for that purpose, so apologies if that's unheard of). It's bound to get "worse" over time, too.

I like the format, thanks!

Level Name: Smooth Jumping
Game Style: Momentum-focused Mario level
Difficulty: Easy to Normal
Brief Description: This level is basically made so you can keep your momentum going while jumping on narrow-ish platforms. No weird surprises and should be very easy but fun.
Code: 9F27-0000-0019-BE24

Cindro

^^^
Yes. Also for Splatoon!

Anyway, I must be a real Goomba, because I wasn't able to figure out how to create a subworld/connect pipes last night. Is it a feature you unlock later, perhaps?

So is there a way to make pipes connect to each other like doorways or is it to sub areas only?
Because I've just wasted an hour of my life if I can't connect these pipes...

Oh bugger, I spent so long drawn into creating my seemingly unsuccessful tower of trials my coffee went stone cold, truly these are dark times.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
New level. The name is "Gusci veloci, all'aperto", and its ID is 4DB8-0000-0021-10EC. Here's the others.

"Tante vie, una bandiera"
ID: 9142-0000-0013-47B2

"Sottosopra o sottosotto?"
ID: 661F-0000-0013-DF3F

"Una breve ma intensa nuotata"
ID: 7150D-0000-0014-BE0A

"Insidie del castello"
ID: 37FB-0000-001F-4F62

Me everytime I upload a new level.

tumblr_md9wztbPSU1rh2x5vo1_500.gif

latest

Welcome to my world. I posted my nicely designed four stage World 1 here multiple times and no one commented at all. ;_;

Pesca 1-1
(1597-0000-0014-8573)

Pesca 1-2
(2796-0000-0016-2B01)

Pesca 1-3
(04E3-0000-001A-902D)

Pesca 1-4
(4BAB-0000-001B-70A0)

One guy on Miiverse said 1-1 "Could pass for a forgotten SMB level" :D

zroid

Banned
How do you guys post that little blurred screenshot from your level? I know it comes from the small preview picture when looking at your stage from the game, but do you upload that?
when you upload a level it's posted to miiverse automatically, and that's the thumbnail that goes with it. people are just getting them from miiverse.

Xhorder

It would be cool if you could add challenges to a level, like for example: "Collect 100 coins" or "finish without power-ups". Maybe in some future update.... (?)

(Try my latest level: 6E95-0000-0020-56AA)

Just checked the play statistics on my first level. Half the deaths were not where I expected (including one where I did the 1-1 mario thing of having a goomba walk towards you) and the other half was where I made it challenging.

~50/50? I'll take it for my first level.

731C-0000-001C-3B2F in case anyone is curious and doesn't want to dive through the previous pages.

Top Bottom