• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Simbabbad

EDIT: both stages have been updated, the codes below are the new ones.

So, I made only two levels so far, but I spent a lot of time on them, and I have more currently in edition. Both of these levels will have three levels added to their theme, to form a whole consistent "world". On the little cards below, the icons rate the difficulty (I don't do Kaizo stuff at all, even my hard levels are very manageable), and the amount of platforming, action (enemies, bosses and projectiles), exploration and puzzle elements (not a "scientific" rating at all, obviously).

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

With "Old School Super Mario", I wanted to start with designing classic Super Mario Bros. levels, consistent visually and gameplay-wise to the very first game: the sort of level you're happy to play on Easy or Normal 100 Mario Challenge to milk costumes, as a relief to nonsense and chaos. I'll eventually release an underground level, a cliff level, and obviously a castle in the same spirit.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BTourian.png

I'm a huge NES Metroid fan, and I really wanted to make a NES Metroid world. Eventually, "y cant metroid shoot?" will feature four levels, each being about a NES Metroid section. I started designing Brinstar, but the locked tools made me finish and publish Tourian first, thanks to its focus on action. Obviously it has a Samus Aran power suit costume, but I focused a lot on visuals and atmosphere to recreate the oppression of Tourian, and also on gameplay, obviously, to make it work in the context of Super Mario Maker (fidelity always second after fun).

I hope to finish Brinstar and publish a nearly finished heavy vehicle/Mario Kart level soon. All new levels will be on my blog (and obviously you can follow me on Miiverse or in the game). I'm intending to relax a bit, though, and check out your creations, playing the 100 Mario Challenge was painful at times.

Richie

Fans await, underground artist!
9401 0000 0033 7DB3

A little course starring K.K. Slider! Heavy on jumping, demands precise timing, should be breezy fun for Mario veterans. Flashy ending for our canine rockstar, too!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone give this a playtest? The clear rate on my first version of this was basically 0%, so I reduced the difficulty. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hubble World 4
WVW69iYo1Y4Ny3RE4g

A0AD-0000-0033-7095

You can go top or bottom route. I think they're about the same difficulty now.

You don't have to fight Bowser in the middle section. Just avoid him until he jumps in the lava if you go the bottom route and just jump over him and keep heading right if you go the top route

MoosiferX

Spent a sizable chunk of my birthday today making my first castle level! This game... this beautiful game...

Breaking & Entering
castlelevel.jpg

Bit of a longer level, as far as any I've made go. Medium difficulty with a decent amount of exploration.

Time to go play a bunch of levels now. There's only 7 billion of them in this thread.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Another simple, if slightly tricky course. I'm trying to make levels in the style of Mario 3, let me know how well I do

World 2-3
(841E-0000-0033-8535)
WVW69iYo9qMokO1ujJ

Also my last level
What do They Chomp Exactly?
(8135-0000-0033-084B)
WVW69iYoMo0keZBw8K

i've never been a huge fan of Mario games and in fact my two favorite (and only completed) titles are two of the least popular entries in the series: Sunshine and SMB2.

but this game is great! i've lost so many hours to creating and i can't explain why i enjoy it so much.

my first level i felt comfortable uploading:
Like you're being watched...:
8DA8-0000-0032-9B9A.

i have no idea how hard it is considering i know how to beat it and where the hidden power-ups are. i'd say it's probably moderate? it's a fairly short affair with a real quick intro and a ponderous choice to make at the end. some things may not be as difficult as they appear...

Beats

Hmm, hopefully this game gets some good post launch support. The filtering and search system feels a bit barebones at the moment. I've been mostly sticking to playing levels here/other sites I frequent because of this. :c

What are some things you'll like Nintendo to add to the game? Really hope they support the game post launch.

Think we'll ever see some sort of world map builder? I think that'll be too much to ask for but it would be great.

Vitet

Up is down. Left is right. Can you find the exit to this Ghost House? What's the matter with its reversed version? Can you find the secret room? You can guess what will be awaiting you behind a door... just twist your mind ;)

tmY7Ah8.png

jmizzal

Fun, short stage! Once I Found the mushroom it became easier, but was still a challenge. Gave you a star and im now following you.

Yeah, my Highway Star level is easy but seems to stump people. Half my fault and half peoples short attention span. I Have the original, which i think shows itself once you have a go and realise you cant make the jump without a star. Its in the name of the level after all. But its all about learning to telegraph the 'secrets' well enough, which is the most enjoyable part of the game. Here are the levels;

Original 31D4-0000-002F-7DF5
Easier 4772-0000-0032-CFE3

Heres my other level, that I think I show the way to play it a bit clearer, but is a more abstract level in some ways

The Money Pit d8A4-0000-002E-2876

As for problems with the game, Just from observing my play style, im much less inclined to battle through a random level because i dont trust its going to be worth it, assuming the worst. I just want that hint of excitement then im onto the next, as theres endless levels which I think is the biggest problem with the game. No one wants to play unstarted levels as theres no quality control, which is a catch 22.

The only real satisfaction I get is playing friends levels as it holds their personality so im already interested going in. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this.

Thanks I'll check out some of your levels too

Its also a Star in there but its hard to get to lol

DungeonO

Waluigi's Pipe-Mare
8941-0000-0033-2B83
thF9F4i.jpg

This is what goes on when Waluigi goes through a pipe.

Wario Land '85
D8E5-0000-0021-E2F5
dxUdZ13.jpg

It's Wario Land. Find the hidden exit.

Switch Twitch
31A7-0000-001B-CC14
C1tKgdo.jpg

P-Switch platforming. It isn't what you expect.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
What are some things you'll like Nintendo to add to the game? Really hope they support the game post launch.

Think we'll ever see some sort of world map builder? I think that'll be too much to ask for but it would be great.

Text boxes and some degree of "programming" would be great. I'd love to be able to set enemy behavior and create contextual events.

NaXo

Banned
Hello, everyone!

First time posting here, been enjoying the game like everyone here so it seems.
Anyway, I thought I'd share some challenging levels with you.

Airship Offensive
0FF9-0000-0029-3909

Castle Siege
F16F-0000-0024-F66C

They may not be anything spectacular, but according to their online stats, not many people have finished them. Good luck to anyone trying them :)

I've stayed way up too late making this after a sudden blast of inspiration.
It's a level where, outside of the beginning you cant touch the ground, Im sure in the morning I'll realize its terrible but for now I feel like I did a decent job

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

I considered giving it a cute name, but then someones gonna end up playing it, that thinks you have to time it, so i thought I'd save them some trouble.

Edit : would help if I posted the code wouldn't it.

JRBechard

I've stayed way up too late making this after a sudden blast of inspiration.
It's a level where, outside of the beginning you cant touch the ground, Im sure in the morning I'll realize its terrible but for now I feel like I did a decent job

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

I considered giving it a cute name, but then someones gonna end up playing it, that thinks you have to time it, so i thought I'd save them some trouble.

Forgot to post your level ID dude!

LostComplex

Neo Member
Ok GAF. This level has won for taking the longest time for me to make. I think it feels like a true ghost house. I hope you all like it. Feedback welcomed!

Name: House of Boos
ID: 247B-0000-0033-8F55

WVW69iYpB4k2gvOotu

Salbug

So, I made only two levels so far, but I spent a lot of time on them, and I have more currently in edition. Both of these levels will have three levels added to their theme, to form a whole consistent "world". On the little cards below, the icons rate the difficulty (I don't do Kaizo stuff at all, even my hard levels are very manageable), and the amount of platforming, action (enemies, bosses and projectiles), exploration and puzzle elements (not a "scientific" rating at all, obviously).

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%25281%2Bof%2B4%2529.png

With "Old School Super Mario", I wanted to start with designing classic Super Mario Bros. levels, consistent visually and gameplay-wise to the very first game: the sort of level you're happy to play on Easy or Normal 100 Mario Challenge to milk costumes, as a relief to nonsense and chaos. I'll eventually release an underground level, a cliff level, and obviously a castle in the same spirit.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2By%2Bcant%2Bmetroid%2Bshoot%2B-%2BTourian.png

I'm a huge NES Metroid fan, and I really wanted to make a NES Metroid world. Eventually, "y cant metroid shoot?" will feature four levels, each being about a NES Metroid section. I started designing Brinstar, but the locked tools made me finish and publish Tourian first, thanks to its focus on action. Obviously it has a Samus Aran power suit costume, but I focused a lot on visuals and atmosphere to recreate the oppression of Tourian, and also on gameplay, obviously, to make it work in the context of Super Mario Maker (fidelity always second after fun).

I hope to finish Brinstar and publish a nearly finished heavy vehicle/Mario Kart level soon. All new levels will be on my blog (and obviously you can follow me on Miiverse or in the game). I'm intending to relax a bit, though, and check out your creations, playing the 100 Mario Challenge was painful at times.

Judging by your pics... Super Mario Maker level app? Where can I find that?

OmeletteHero

Neo Member
Try my courses please! I'm quite proud of some of them :)

Go, Go Super Mario!!
DFBB-0000-0028-4872

and...

Slippery Jumper
6759-0000-0033-91D3

Mushroom Kingdom Under Attack?!
BF6C-0000-0026-E462

Wow, I'm the number 11 Mario Maker in the US!

gXW6JZa.png

Crazy to think that I'm bumping elbows with Youtube celebs up there. I think most of them are.

Number 50 globally is at 896 stars right now so I'm approaching that too! :eek:
i "played" your SML theme this morning during a 100-Mario challenge! Really nice!

I'm working on a kind of "squidkid series" of levels that give you the Inkling Girl out of the gate so you can play basically as her. You might be able to beat the levels as Mario... but can you manage it as the Inkling, even with a few re-ups of your appearance?

As these have to be SMB1 levels, I'm also trying to make sure they feel relatively authentic to that game. The levels will feature some of the available level elements from later games, but the design should feel like something that would've conceivably been in SMB1.

Now, I was going to release them all at once, but I'm getting antsy and impatient for feedback and I want to know if anyone actually wants to play this or if my level design is crap.
emot-v.gif
So I give you:

Squidkids 1: Jump-Hero Training!

WVW69iYpFSkG9BIbFR

3387-0000-0017-A673

Let me know what you think, GAF! And remember to keep an eye out for a secret or two. :3

Now to get back to making a water level I feel is good (man, designing those is hard) and the big set-pieces that will be 3 and 4...

AniHawk

kind of surprised at how low the clear percentage rates are for some of my levels. i thought i was making moderately challenging ones. i think i'll go back and try to do a 'beginner' level.

so far i've used smb3 a lot. i might try super mario world next i guess.

Meohsix

My second Mario maker level. Easier than the first since nobody beat it...

Wall jump the caverns!
7FD9-0000-0033-9E74

jholmes

OK, time for a giant dump of responses to stages I played earlier. Let's do this...

WVW69iYTsr4tduPc2I

City Beneath the Waves
57D8-0000-0027-65E2
Medium Difficulty
Good sense of place here! I’m not big on starting Mario with a mushroom, definite pet peeve of mine. The first half comes across as a bit aimless compared to the interior bit, which is drum tight. Quite good! I should play more of yours. Remind me if I don’t!
Sölf;178655012 said:
- Andarro's Mansion
11A0-0000-0032-2F9C

- Andarro's Castle
54A1-0000-0032-37F1
I was really interested in what you put up and played through three of your levels. Sounds like you might have fixed a few things with the two I had (minor!) issues with! Still, I’ll give you my feedback that I put into notes last night:
Andarro’s Plains (not in this quote!): Solid! Good two-way route level. Definitely worth a play.
Andarro’s Mansion: Not bad! Making a good ghost level must be hard with this game – the toolset doesn’t really give you many options. Still, you found a way. Really fun, and the time is just tight enough to give you some unnecessary stress. Maybe a bit too tricksy, specifically with where you get the spring block from.
Andarro’s Castle: Close-to-lava fireballs at the start are unfun and unintuitive. I know the coins tell you where they go, but you have no time to react so it’s all about memorization, not skill. The P block gimmick was a bit lame in my book – bringing something across much of the stage is very un-Mario and very un-castle. Definite step down from the other two but you’ve got enough skill that I kept playing your levels, so that should say something!
Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy
5B1B-0000-0022-A0A8
WVW69iYNI1wDtPFFk8
If only this was done by an actual GAFfer I would say this is the best GAF level. Get this guy an account, if only so we can lay claim to this! Total must-play. Clever reference but also just an awesome stage.
It's a stage that uses Donut Blocks and Piranha Plants - introduces the mechanics, develolps them, twists them and ends with a final test.
Feedback would be much appreciated.
Donut Mines
4282-0000-0026-45AC
eR0r87d.jpg
The bunched-up pipes are a neat look! I’m not a fan of the end-stage gimmick, it feels claustrophobic. I also don’t like that the subarea means you miss out on the fire flower – it shouldn’t be an either-or thing. Otherwise quite good! I’m a little confused that you’re both Canadian and also Belgian but if you keep the stage output up to this par, it’s all good!
Pipe-opolis
BA66-0000-002A-4DB2

PNAnpmX.jpg

jPoYLll.png

I always loved world 7 of Mario 3, just the idea of a world so focused on pipes. And it's just a neat aesthetic that's different from most Mario levels, with so much green.
It’s 1990 and there’s a new World 7 stage! The hidden area near the end was vintage SMB3. Very good stage, definitely one of the best I’ve played. Big-time recommend.
AxDGFRL.png

(CBDB-0000-002C-B722)
Tried doing a level based on wigglers on tracks.
With a name like Wigglevators I had to give it a shot! Certainly too hard for my liking but I love the gimmick, it’s really great. Some good design in the level too – lots of clever ideas. If someone’s looking for a tough nut to crack, you should play it, but if the name Wigglevators won’t do it for you, you’re too far gone.

If any of you want to know my outlook on levels by playing my own stuff, here's my codes again for quick perusal:

The Spring's the Thing (just the basic tileset): F6DA-0000-0016-3AD4
Big Trouble: 3B43-0000-0016-FFC2
Shell Shock (the TMNT homage level): 0CCD-0000-001D-9748
Buzzy's Cavern: D2D2-0000-0026-9161
Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F
Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress: 92AB-0000-0032-4720

Begbie

Hey GAF if anyone can give my stage a shot its

6B6A-0000-0033-7016

'Dont miss the stars' ... if you do you are pretty much dead. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

Seik

Banned
Here's my update.

Bowser's Last Resort (2.00 - Longer (sub-area), with many aesthetic corrections (Like that dumb coin on top of this older screenshot now gone!) and Bowser without wings.)

EF6B-0000-0033-AA5B

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01cfpom.jpg

Tip if you're having trouble:
There's a fire flower at the left of the question block at the beginning.

Tell me what you guys think of it! ^^

Zekes!

Here's a quickie:

Battle Bridge:
ACEC-0000-0033-A148
WVW69iYpJRkZiJVF05

I tried to add some neat details like broken bridge pieces in the underwater section, and using the door to enter the box.

Also another mention of the level I finished today:

Piping hot and fresh! Here's my latest level:

Great Cave Adventure
EE9F-0000-0032-56A3
WVW69iYnFkM7uZH7VN

All of my levels so far have 3 hidden 1ups in them as well.

Good idea! Nice aesthetic and fun, windy layout.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Alright GAF, I made the stage I've wanted to make since the game was announced.

Flappy Jellyfish: BB8D-0000-0033-A47E
WVW69iYpKfYIWT_CSU

It's the perfect length, and I could pay homage to two classic games at once. I originally tried the NES style and gave Mario the King Dedede costume and it was adorable, but unfortunately that made the level too easy because you could survive two hits :(

It's not a hard level, try it out! I might make a harder one/edit this one when I get SFX.

bounchfx

my wishlist:

world map maker/stringing levels together
better sharing between friends
checkpoint system for SMW and NSMB
SMW stored powerups (up top in the box thingy)
being able to change the powerup in a ? block when you're full size mario
bonus wishlist: adding red coins to your level

suikodan

Here are the four levels I created from oldest to latest.

Jump the bullet!!!
(2AFE-0000-0021-9FB1)

Bowser and son
(378F-0000-0025-83F9)

Bowser digs a hole!]
(A52F-0000-0032-57B5)

Mario, Jr and the magical door.
(F9DF-0000-0033-4AA1)

Let me know what you think!

First of all, how are people getting such nice screenshots of their levels to post on here?

Second of all, can someone please play my level? It's very classic. No tricks. Very Super Mario World-y.

AOC1Pl0.png

I've made a couple other levels, if you like this one, but I think this is my best yet.

edit: Here's another. The title indicates an optional objective. I posted it about 10 pages ago but don't think anyone played it.

46VVteo.png

The bunched-up pipes are a neat look! I’m not a fan of the end-stage gimmick, it feels claustrophobic. I also don’t like that the subarea means you miss out on the fire flower – it shouldn’t be an either-or thing. Otherwise quite good! I’m a little confused that you’re both Canadian and also Belgian but if you keep the stage output up to this par, it’s all good!

Yeah, you're right on that - finding a secret should reward you, not punish you. I tried to do something based on a SMW level that makes you miss a checkpoint if you take another route, but looking back that isn't really good either.

By end of stage you mean right before the goal? If so that's only an added risk to get to the top, but I think I should have made it bigger. It was late at night and I had reached the block limit so I didn't do it (even though I should have gotten over the lazyness and reworked stuff), it's definitely the part I least liked when making it.

Thanks for the input, will play some of yours later! (Also I'm neither, I'm Brazilian lel)

This game is going to ruin my life. Here are some levels I made!

A Simpsons themed underwater level:
3588-0000-0030-C5A7
1KOrQSJ.jpg

A fast-paced, Thwomp-heavy autoscroller:
E298-0000-0032-E43A
1FgmmT7.jpg

WonderPup

Does anyone mind giving my two Super Mario World levels a go? I tried to make them feel fair and balanced, and I tucked secret areas into them, too.

Not the Cruise I Paid For...
3D07-0000-0032-D9BF

Pipes Galore!
1F74-0000-0030-CC85

I'm looking for any feedback anyone may have.

Alright here are 2 more courses

Turtle Power
2 different routes to clear, 3 hidden 1 ups. Medium difficulty.
BE5A-0000-0033-ABE0

Clown Balls
Multiple routes to clear, probably hard.

Any feedback would be appreciated, hopefully these aren't as frustrating as my previous ones. Never thought I would be creating my own stages, think I have a lot to learn, lol.

PKrockin

My second Mario maker level. Easier than the first since nobody beat it...

Wall jump the caverns!
7FD9-0000-0033-9E74

That drop onto the propeller hat spooked me lol. I didn't find it hard at all, just the first jump with the propeller hat seems really precise.

My first course. Be gentle. It's a short course with probably medium difficulty if I keep in mind I would find my own courses easier than other people would. 03EA-0000-0033-9CBB

Dartastic

Is there a way to get enemies to walk back and forth instead of just walk right off the edge of platforms? I want to put some goombas on a mushroom platform but they keep walking off. :/

Here's my update.

Bowser's Last Resort (2.00 - Longer (sub-area), with many aesthetic corrections (Like that dumb coin on top of this older screenshot now gone!) and Bowser without wings.)

EF6B-0000-0033-AA5B

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01cfpom.jpg

Tip if you're having trouble:
There's a fire flower at the left of the question block at the beginning.

Tell me what you guys think of it! ^^

PS: Can we delete an older upload? I'd like to delete my first Bowser's Last Resort stage but can't seem to find how...

I gave it a try, but that was waaaaay to hard for me, I'd recommend throwing in some easy sections to change up the pacing abit. Also the skull bridge was more frustrating that it needed to be

Looked like you had some really great level variety though, so thumbs up there

Top Bottom