• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker physics debate thread of Mario moving back.... and to the left.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So like... are you going to hit a point in a level where you need to switch to NSMB style to wall jump, etc.?

Technically, you're not supposed to do that, but there's nothing stopping someone from being a dick like that.

Neiteio

I'm really hesitant to say the same.

Have any of you played the LBP series? Do you know what usually happens with user-created content? 99% of it is shit, and you need a good online system to make sure the 1% floats to the top.

I'm not entirely confident that Nintendo is capable of preserving a good online system that will make good content float to the top. I've seen what they're planning, but I'm not sure if it'll work well in practice.

I'm not even convinced that the content creation system itself will allow for good Mario levels yet. It depends on how simple and intuitive the tools are, but also how detailed people want to get with the level design. Making a Mario level is a lot of intense design, it's not just placing random blocks.

I dunno, we'll see. I hope that some good levels come out at launch.
If you don't trust the online system to find good levels, there's still a code for each level created, and players can share those codes with each other to try out each other's levels.

From the IGN article:

Every course that is uploaded will have a 16-character identifier that can be shared on social media.
You'll be able to come to the GAF thread for this game and get lots of codes for good GAF-made levels. :)

Neiteio

Technically, you're not supposed to do that, but there's nothing stopping someone from being a dick like that.
You have to be able to beat a level in order to upload it. So you won't be putting areas that require wall jumps in a SMW course, because you'll have to beat it in that style before uploading it online.

Oblivion

You have to be able to beat a level in order to upload it. So you won't be putting areas that require wall jumps in a SMW course, because you'll have to beat it in that style before uploading it online.

Yeah, I just realized that a minute ago, haha.

vanty

So like... are you going to hit a point in a level where you need to switch to NSMB style to wall jump, etc.?
You need to complete a stage to upload it and they're locked to a single game unless you're in the edit mode. So it is impossible to make a SMB3 stage that requires wall jumps.

Nanashrew

Banned
If you don't trust the online system to find good levels, there's still a code for each level created, and players can share those codes with each other to try out each other's levels.

From the IGN article:

You'll be able to come to the GAF thread for this game and get lots of codes for good GAF-made levels. :)

Feels like we need a thread to rundown all of Mario Makers features in one place because I didn't know there will be character code things to share with others.

Javier

No need to ever make another 2D Mario. Just keep transferring and updating Super Mario Maker for every future system.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
All game physics and music by Koji Kondo?

This game just went from "Probably pick up sometime" to "NEED ASAP"

Shy

I was hoping that it was a setting that adjust and you could choose the physics from any of the games included, for your level. but this is cool too.

Any idea on the powerup situation? It would be a great way to eexpand the way levels can be approached.

The only one I know of other than the standard fire flower and Star are a single flight a bit for the latter three games, Racoon, Cape and Propeller.

I would hope you also get the Frog and Tanooki Suit. But most of all I'm interested in the NSMBU powerups like Squirrel, Ice, Penguin. Mini Mario would allow for some amazing level design. Then there's the baby Yoshi's.

Honestly I really want NSMBU's power ups.

I'm still not convinced this is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU8Qbs5xrQ This is a SMB1-styled course, but Mario retains the added boost after jumping off of an enemy. This doesn't happen in the original SMB1. It's the only real good example I can find of a discrepancy since the rest is hard to determine without feeling it for yourself, but it feels pretty significant. It'd seem weird if they kept all other physics intact but just changed that one aspect of the jump boost.

I believe that extra boost first happened in the Japanese SMB2, which is essentially a sadistically hard SMB1 map pack. So, in that sense, the boost is a part of SMB1 style.

ttimebomb

This game changed a lot since last year. Last year it seemed like fun but seemed like a smaller downloadable title. Now it'll likely be a $40 to $60 game and it certainly is worth that price.

The game that keeps on delivering. So happy to read that! I was worried every set of graphics was going to have SMB physics.

Super Mario World has the best physics in a 2d Mario ever IMO.

Seconded. It may be just the nostalgia talking, but it controls so nice.

FyreWulff

It's not 1:1 SMB1, just mostly in SMB1's style. I think the enemy jump boost is so expected now that it's better to just backport that to the SMB1 style than keep it exactly like the original.

Hatchtag

Banned
Super Mario World felt fucking perfect at the Best Buy demo. My only worry is that there won't be power-ups from each of the old games, but those probably were just out for the demo. SMW better have every color Yoshi and the Cape, SMB3 needs all of its power-ups, and hopefully NSMB style will have every power up from the NSMB series, especially the koopa shell. How Penguin returned in later games but not the Koopa Shell is beyond me.

Mr Swine

Banned
Does the Super Mario Maker have all power ups from all Super Mario games that are present in the game or is it just the most popular ones? Is there not Hammer Bros/Tanooki suite? :(

I just tried it and super jump doesn't exist. SMB3 was the first one.

Oh yeah? I could have sworn that jumping off a flying Koopa (for instance) in Japanese SMB 2 gave you an extra boost, unlike the original game. It was one of the only changes from the original game, besides poison mushrooms, different Luigi physics, and wind levels. But I'm not doubting you if you tried it right now.

rekameohs

Banned
Oh yeah? I could have sworn that jumping off a flying Koopa (for instance) in Japanese SMB 2 gave you an extra boost, unlike the original game. It was one of the only changes from the original game, besides poison mushrooms, different Luigi physics, and wind levels. But I'm not doubting you if you tried it right now.

No, you're right. Lost Levels has the high jump off enemies, not SMB1.

RagnarokX

I am fairly certain this is not true.

FaroffCrazyIlladopsis.gif

SpiffyGrizzledKangaroo.gif

TheseJadedCygnet.gif

I analyzed footage of SMW style levels and they clearly do not have SMW physics. It appears all styles have the same physics but Mario has different abilities and enemies have different characteristics in each one. A lot of people in here are confusing abilities with physics.

Jeff already confirmed this on Giantbomb two days ago, I think. I thought everyone knew this already.

But yes, it's great that it has this feature.

Oblivion

FaroffCrazyIlladopsis.gif

SpiffyGrizzledKangaroo.gif

TheseJadedCygnet.gif

I analyzed footage of SMW style levels and they clearly do not have SMW physics. It appears all styles have the same physics but Mario has different abilities and enemies have different characteristics in each one.

I played it, yo. Trust me, you definitely notice a significant change when you switch between game styles. And just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, the Nintendo employee at the booth said the same thing.

Meaty

Is there an option to download levels in packs?

Thats the only thing I need to know before im sold on this. I hate downloading one level at a time in LBP, would be nice to get everything from a creator

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I analyzed footage of SMW style levels and they clearly do not have SMW physics. It appears all styles have the same physics but Mario has different abilities and enemies have different characteristics in each one. A lot of people in here are confusing abilities with physics.

Was kind of thinking the same thing watching the Treehouse video. All the different themes seem to have the same physics, looks like they tried to find a balance between them.

And call me crazy but I think SMW Mario has too much aerial maneuverability. It's one of the reasons the game was too easy.

RagnarokX

I played it, yo. Trust me, you definitely notice a significant change when you switch between game styles. And just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, the Nintendo employee at the booth said the same thing.

You probably imagined it. The footage doesn't lie, man. Random Nintendo employee probably confused physics with abilities like most people in this thread are. Mario clearly does not have the air maneuverability he should have in SMW.

Thank God. It still seems strange that such an important detail was left unexplained until now.

Oblivion

You probably imagined it. The footage doesn't lie, man. Random Nintendo employee probably confused physics with abilities like most people in this thread are. Mario clearly does not have the air maneuverability he should have in SMW.

How dare you question my honor, SIR.

I have never led gaf astray.

Youtube clips and gifs are very misleading. You have to see it in real time. If you see a youtube video of Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl for example, they look almost identical as well. But once you actually play them, the difference becomes clear.

Your second gif in particular doesn't seem to prove much. It appears that the guy playing it made a quick turn while in the air and thus didn't jump as high as he probably could have.

I can stop on a dime in SMW. I can't do that in NSMB. And I could stop on a dime in the SMW version of SMM. Again, can't do that in the NSMB version of SMM. It's the real deal, homeslice.

RagnarokX

How dare you question my honor, SIR.

I have never led gaf astray.

Youtube clips and gifs are very misleading. You have to see it in real time. If you see a youtube video of Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl for example, they look almost identical as well. But once you actually play them, the difference becomes clear.

Your second gif in particular doesn't seem to prove much. It appears that the guy playing it made a quick turn while in the air and thus didn't jump as high as he probably could have.

I can stop on a dime in SMW. I can't do that in NSMB. And I could stop on a dime in the SMW version of SMM. It's the real deal, homeslice.

The gifs aren't comparing jump height. They are comparing Mario's ability to turn in the air. In SMW if you jumped right and then changed direction Mario would fly left as in gif 3. Mario does not do that in Mario Maker. You can clearly see player's thumb in the Mario Maker gif so you know they aren't letting go of the stick. It's more consistent with NSMB. This is not misleading at all. This not SMW physics.

vanty

No, you're right. Lost Levels has the high jump off enemies, not SMB1.
How do you do it? I just tried it a few different ways over the first three stages and got nothing while I can do it 99.9% of the time in everything from SMB3 onwards.

Oblivion

The gifs aren't comparing jump height. They are comparing Mario's ability to turn in the air. In SMW if you jumped right and then changed direction Mario would fly left as in gif 3. Mario does not do that in Mario Maker. You can clearly see player's thumb in the Mario Maker gif so you know they aren't letting go of the stick. It's more consistent with NSMB. This is not misleading at all. This not SMW physics.

Okay, even if it's comparing Mario's ability to turn in the air, it's still inaccurate. And that gif is very short, and makes it hard to actually see what's going on.

Here's how the convo went when I spoke to the Nintendo employee:

Me: Do the controls and physics change depending on the game style?
Him: No they're all the same for each game. If you press "B" Mario jumps, "Y" makes Mario ru...
Me: No, sorry I meant the physics, like the way Mario actually moves.
Him: Oh, that's what you meant! In that case, yes, it all changes depending on the game.

Of course, not that this matters much because I actually, you know, played the fricken game for myself!

Either I got super lucky and managed to use the one station that actually perfectly replicated SMW's physics, or my precision somehow increased 300% when I switched between NMSB and SMW.

Which one seems more likely?

RagnarokX

Okay, even if it's comparing Mario's ability to turn in the air, it's still inaccurate. And that gif is very short, and makes it hard to actually see what's going on.

Here's how the convo went when I spoke to the Nintendo employee:

Me: Do the controls and physics change depending on the game style?
Him: No they're all the same for each game. If you press "B" Mario jumps, "Y" makes Mario ru...
Me: No, sorry I meant the physics, like the way Mario actually moves.
Him: Oh, that's what you meant! In that case, yes, it all changes depending on the game.

Of course, not that this matters much because I actually, you know, played the fricken game for myself!

Either I got super lucky and managed to use the one station that actually perfectly replicated SMW's physics, or my precision somehow increased 300% when I switched between NMSB and SMW.

Which one seems more likely?

It's not misleading. It's 3 videos of Mario doing the exact same thing. If the physics were SMW physics Mario would act like he does in SMW, but he does not. It's solid evidence against hearsay.

Your rep did not lie. You asked if the way he moves changed and he most likely thought "Yeah, he can wall jump in one but not the others, etc."

The most likely thing is that you believe you were 300% more precise through a placebo effect because I doubt you played a different demo from everyone else.

AniHawk

i don't know about smb3/smw/nsmb, but smb1 was definitely smb1 physics. i'd know those weird heavy-floaty jumps anywhere.

Top Bottom