• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker physics debate thread of Mario moving back.... and to the left.

As far as I could tell, the movement physics are indeed same across the board. It's really obvious the first time you try a SMW coarse.

The 2D styles still play better than NSMB based levels though, because the hitboxes are easier to gauge and latching onto a wall can screw up your movement in NSMB.

Haines

Banned
Gaming media being wrong is nothing new.

The game plays great physics wise so i really dont care that they arent the same as originals. Its actually probably better this way.

Lynd7

I think different animations and sounds can throw your perspective of feel off. Play with some of the costumes and they can give the illusion of them moving different.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I did find that the momentum from bouncing off a note block to be different in the SMW theme. Make Mario come off a conveyer belt on to a series of note blocks without touching the controller. Get this to work in the SMW theme and then switch. You'll find it won't work in the other themes. It's rather curious.

Gleethor

Not sure placebo applies here haha.

Why not? All of these games have separate physics across each title, so naturally your expectation while playing levels in SMM would be for each style to match the physics of its original game. Not hard to see how merely changing the visual style can make the game "feel" different and cause people to believe that the physics have also changed, even when they haven't. It is a placebo effect.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, well well. Lookie here what I found.

So there I was, casually watching random youtube videos, when I came across this:

https://youtu.be/pGNm0D-eBTs?t=102

Turns out the fine folks at Did You Know Gaming and Game Grumps corroborated what I initially claimed: that SMM did in fact, at one point use physics that corresponded to the original games. They point to an interview with Takashi Tezuka that I had never seen until today:

“In the end we used the New Super Mario Bros. U system for all of the game styles. There was quite a lot of discussion about this within the team. Staff who had strong attachment to the original games expressed a strong desire to see implemented the same system they remembered. However, when players who are used to the modern Mario physics tried playing with the old physics, they found it much more difficult than they remembered. The original Super Mario Bros would only scroll to the right, so we tentatively made it so that it doesn’t scroll left in this game style. However, many people on the team complained that it was less fun to play. Still, we have left in some unique aspects to each game style, like how you can carry shells from Super Mario Bros 3 onwards, but you can’t throw them upwards until Super Mario World, and you can only wall-jump in New Super Mario Bros. U.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-s...per-mario-bros-u-physics-for-all-game-styles/

Considering how closely I was following the development of this game, how on Earth did I miss such a detail, especially after Physicsgate? Simple. Because this interview was taken long after the game was already released.

Once people had the game, and they were able to confirm for themselves how the physics worked, well, what could I have said? If people were to judge me based on how the final game actually played, then yes, on the most technical of technicalities, I was not completely correct. Of course, I knew the truth behind why that was the case, but sadly I was without proof. So as you could imagine, it would be an uphill fight to convince people otherwise.

Until today.

And just like I theorized at the time, while Nintendo did in fact use separate physics for each game I had a feeling they would deem that too complicated for players and would make them all uniform by release. I truly hoped that wouldn't be the case, not just cause I preferred the original games' physics, but also because people would deem me a liar and a scoundrel.

But now we finally know the truth.

Of course, it was always difficult to imagine that not just me, but the people at Venturebeat, Game Informer, Jeremy Parish, and thousands of other gaming outlets and journalists were all simultaneously fooled. But now we know that wasn't the case. The record has been corrected, and I have at last been redeemed.

To my good friend, RagnarokX (and to all the other naysayers), I like my apology cakes chocolate flavored.

maxcriden

I'm not sure any of that refutes RagnaroxX's posts. The preview builds if I'm thinking of the right ones would have been near-final when many were saying the physics were different. I might be misremembering, though.

Stoze

That quote makes it sound like all that decision making and testing was done internally. I'm pretty sure no one in here argued that at some point in the design process there wasn't different and/or accurate to the original game physics for each visual style.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We've never seen a build where you couldn't go left in the SMB theme so they are clearly talking about an early build.

However, has anyone noticed that of you make an auto stage (as much as they are hated) with the SMW theme and switch to another your jumps will not travel the same way. Little quirk in the physics.

Oblivion

I'm not sure any of that refutes RagnaroxX's posts. The preview builds if I'm thinking of the right ones would have been near-final when many were saying the physics were different. I might be misremembering, though.

There have been plenty of instances where games were modified after their E3 showing.

We've never seen a build where you couldn't go left in the SMB theme so they are clearly talking about an early build.

That doesn't prove anything. They could have implemented some things already while not implementing others.

Platy

As someone who still plays a lot of Mario Maker and bought Mario 3 with E-reader Levels when it arrived in the eshop, I have to say that after I finished Mario 3, coming back to Mario Maker made disatrous results.

So I am happy that I don't have to get used to 4 different physics

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
100 Mario mode would have been even worse if you were constantly having to adapt to different physics.

Oblivion

So for the first time since E3 last year I got to try out SMM, and yup, they did indeed change the physics by launch. The final game plays completely differently from the E3 build I tried out.

I was willing to give it another shot just on the off chance I was misremembering how it played, and it turns out that it is in fact a entirely different beast altogether.

This decision by Nintendo is not one I support, but at the very least, I and many people in this thread can finally get some closure.

So for the first time since E3 last year I got to try out SMM, and yup, they did indeed change the physics by launch. The final game plays completely differently from the E3 build I tried out.

I was willing to give it another shot just on the off chance I was misremembering how it played, and it turns out that it is in fact a entirely different beast altogether.

This decision by Nintendo is not one I support, but at the very least, I and many people in this thread can finally get some closure.

It's a necessity for the editor and all players who are expected to potentially play all 4 Mario styles on the 100 Mario challenges.

Oblivion

When I played this launch day the first thing I thought was "what happened to that one thread about the differing physics :( "

Nintendo betrayed you. They betrayed us all.

It's a necessity for the editor and all players who are expected to potentially play all 4 Mario styles on the 100 Mario challenges.

I can tolerate the logic behind it, but there were expectations!

Top Bottom