• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

Clefargle

I cannot understand the level of hate I'm seeing for New Donk City when it's obvious that it's a single world and not the entire game. Vitriolic levels of anger over the juxtaposition of styles in 1 world.

Nicktendo86

I cannot understand the level of hate I'm seeing for New Donk City when it's obvious that it's a single world and not the entire game. Vitriolic levels of anger over the juxtaposition of styles in 1 world.
Welcome to neogaf, the home of hyperbole and overreaction.

I guarantee by the time of release the level will look much better, too. I have no proof obviouslt, but would Nintendo really populate an open world city with the same cars and people throughout? Definitely not.

Either way, it's gonna be fun af

I don't understand why gamers have to overreact so much. I'll never understand why they don't relax and wait. Take time to appreciate things because you may not like something at first and this is 3D Mario. One of the worlds greatest studios.

Metal-Geo

Mario is way more... 'chubbier' in this game. Shorter limbs and a much more cuter look overall compared to his previous 3D adventires. Seems to resemble the classic art a bit closer. And they finally gave his hair and 'stache some detail.

If we're not getting HITMAN season 2 this year, then this is now my most anticipated title of 2017!

DJIzana

I cant wait to hear more of the ost, wasnt impressed by the trailer music but if 3d world and galaxy are anything to go by this should have fantastic music

Galaxy? Sure. I'll give you that. That one had a good OST but I honestly was not impressed by 3D World's OST.

If Nintendo is trying to put this game on the same pedestal as Mario 64 and Sunshine, I think the OST needs a few tracks that are just as good as those in 64 or Sunshine.

C2Iu9EMUkAA3yGc.jpg:large

I love everything about Odyssey. Couldn't be happier that it's going back to the sandboxy roots. Just hope there are a ton of locations to visit and just... yeah, at least a FEW tunes that are as good as 64 / Sunshine level. I'd be happy with that!

Maffis

Yeah me neither. I personally even think it looks kinda cool.

grim-tales

I guarantee by the time of release the level will look much better, too. I have no proof obviouslt, but would Nintendo really populate an open world city with the same cars and people throughout? Definitely not.

Either way, it's gonna be fun af

Maybe not, but then again this could be a satire on how bland and samey the "real world" and it's people are? :p

When I first New Donk City in the trailer I was upset, I didn't want the next Mario game set in a real world-esque setting, but a few seconds later they showed other worlds. Thus New Donk City went from upsetting to "funny idea for a level" and I was suddenly okay with it.

Zero83

Galaxy? Sure. I'll give you that. That one had a good OST but I honestly was not impressed by 3D World's OST.

If Nintendo is trying to put this game on the same pedestal as Mario 64 and Sunshine, I think the OST needs a few tracks that are just as good as those in 64 or Sunshine.

I love everything about Odyssey. Couldn't be happier that it's going back to the sandboxy roots. Just hope there are a ton of locations to visit and just... yeah, at least a FEW tunes that are as good as 64 / Sunshine level. I'd be happy with that!

Really? I think 3D World's soundtrack is outstanding. People are (rightfully) praising Tropical Freeze's music, but I think 3D World's is better.

I cant wait to hear more of the ost, wasnt impressed by the trailer music but if 3d world and galaxy are anything to go by this should have fantastic music

Reveal trailers for the Galaxy titles didn't feature orchestrated music yet, so I'm fully confident that by the time this game is released, its OST will blow everyone away.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What does it mean?

odyssey
plural odysseys
1: a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune <his odyssey from rural South to urban North, from poverty to affluence, from Afro-American folk culture to a Eurocentric world of books — J. E. Wideman>
2: an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest <an odyssey of self-discovery> <a spiritual odyssey from disbelief to faith>

oddity
plural oddities
1: an odd person, thing, event, or trait
2: the quality or state of being odd

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wait, is New Donk City not the hub? Certainly seemed pitched that way in the trailer.

I imagine this will be the game I'll pick the Switch up for, it looks like the 64-2 I've been waiting for.

rex

I have to say, at first I didn't like the people in the city but they've really grown on me. It's just so weird, wacky and ridiculous. If they take them out or make them more cartoony it's gonna feel so generic by comparison. So I hope Nintendo ignores the people (like me) who complained about them initially.

Berordn

Wait, is New Donk City not the hub? Certainly seemed pitched that way in the trailer.

I imagine this will be the game I'll pick the Switch up for, it looks like the 64-2 I've been waiting for.

New Donk City looks to just be a one of the sandbox environments. The Hatship is likely the hub, if anything.

NathanS

When 3D World came out Nintendo called it the culmination of all things 3D Mario.

That obviously wasn't true, and I doubt even Nintendo themselves believed it.

But Odyssey on the other hand, is the culmination of 3D Mario.

SM64 x Sunshine x Galaxy Minus the counterfeits = Ultimate 3D Mario

Glorious

When did Mario fans become so mean spirited? Its depressing.

E-Cat

Part of that might be because the soundtrack for the trailer was clearly arranged in such a way that is meant to be played by an orchestra, but they haven't gotten around to recording it with live instruments yet and used placeholder MIDI instead, which totally screws up the dynamics. The exact same thing happened with Mario Galaxy. Disregarding that, I think the music sounded fine.

I just realized how similar Mario Sunshine's boxart is to Mario 64's JP art.

15327_front.jpg

latest

Kinda hoping Mario Odyssey's boxart copies the designs above, as a nice tribute.

I just hope this game doesn't rely on motion controls like galaxy does. I went to be able to play with the pro controller and not worry about motion control gimmicks

Smether

Very cool! I actually like the idea of a city level, as it opens up a lot of cool game play scenarios. And there is still some time for the graphics to get that AA down, so I'm not particularly worried about that.

Red Devil

I just hope this game doesn't rely on motion controls like galaxy does. I went to be able to play with the pro controller and not worry about motion control gimmicks

Not on Galaxy level but both the Joy-Con and Pro Controller have gyro, so yeah.

And Galaxy controls were fine either way.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So wait, does this confirm that Mario is a midget ? He seems to be about 140 cm in height.

Mario isn't human (Homo sapiens sapiens), he's a plumber (Plumbarius viatoris st&#275;llae). At least, that's how I take this reveal.

asagami_

Banned
I'm so excited by the desert world. The upside-down pyramid, the lion, it's so crazy. The insect "boss" enemy seen almost at the end of the trailer intrigues me so much. Those elements remind me to Zelda (Breath of Wind, mostly) and Xenoblade.

Lynd7

After the dust has settled a bit and seeing some straight gameplay of the city area, you know, it doesn't seem that bad now.

Especially cause it seems we are going to visit a lot of strange and oddball worlds.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm so excited by the desert world. The upside-down pyramid, the lion, it's so crazy. The insect "boss" enemy seen almost at the end of the trailer intrigues me so much. Those elements remind me to Zelda (Breath of Wind, mostly) and Xenoblade.

The small bosses /platform tidbits we saw in the trailer are gorgeous imho

Nepenthe

Warms my heart to see people calming down and warming up to the game in its entirety.

Also, has it been mentioned that the purple collectible is a different shape in each world? In Dia de la Muertos they're triangles, in New Donk they're just coins, in the forest level they're bolts, and in the food level behind the large pumpkin one can barely make out that they're turnips. I'm wondering if the unique shape means they go towards unlocking or expanding something unique in each world, or if they're just differently-shaped just because. xP

III-V

I mean all you had to do is rewind the video like 2 seconds to see it is in fact that Sphinx thing

(sorry about the quality on mobile)

br74Aj7.png

Ok, I think that a jaguar and that they are in 'Mexico' styled lands with upside down Maya style artwork, color palettes and pyramids.

Thats why I did not understand sphinx.

And yea, that TAXI may just be referencing the jaguar.

Top Bottom