• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

doop_

Banned
Reposting for the new page
In the worlds we saw, each of the purple collectibles were themed accordingly.

Aztec world - Inverted pyramids.
New Donk - Circular like coins.
The weird crystal food world - They looked kind of circular and had the same Crystal look.
Kogwald - The shape of nuts.

I've been pretty vocal about wanting them to never return to the 64 / sunshine style of level design... but this actually looks really cool.

zoukka

Well I guess all those peeps who told me I was wrong for lumping the Galaxy games with 3D Land and World can go shag horses or something cos the facts have been laid bare and, as always, I was right and were wrong all along.

Luckily I enjoy both styles, though I'd say my preferences lays with the linear games, but that's also because it consists of four extremely good games that had the benefit of refinement to the Mario formula over the year. Open world Mario consists of Mario 64, which was their first time with Mario in a 3D space and Sunshine, which is, well, Sunshine.

I expect Odyssey to be a fine result of what they've learnt over the years from both styles of games.

I enjoyed all of them, but 3D World definitely started to feel "old" and safe for a series veteran.

KooopaKid

Banned
In the worlds we saw, each of the purple collectibles were themed accordingly.

Aztec world - Inverted pyramids.
New Donk - Circular like coins.
The weird crystal food world - They looked kind of circular and had the same Crystal look.
Kogwald - The shape of nuts.

Nice find!

I'm so unreasonably excited for the potential of the hat lob bop.

Me too. Such a simple mechanic but looks so fun to perform. So simple you wonder why they didn't think of it before. So much better than the lame double-jump in Mario 64 copycats at the time.

will be shocked if this isnt GOTY tbh

Breath Of The Wild is out in March :)

2 GOTY potential on Switch already.
3 if I count Splatoon 2, huge fan here
Shit I might have to swallow my dignity and buy it full price.

entremet

I'm gonna miss that top line..

They will make more Mario games.

Don't worry lol.

Also glad to see Nintendo confirm what us 3DLand/World fans have been saying all this time.

The Galaxy games were not open world games. Just horrible arguments every time people dismissed 3DWorld and brought up the Galaxy games as open world.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well I guess all those peeps who told me I was wrong for lumping the Galaxy games with 3D Land and World can go shag horses or something cos the facts have been laid bare and, as always, I was right and were wrong all along.

Luckily I enjoy both styles, though I'd say my preferences lays with the linear games, but that's also because it consists of four extremely good games that had the benefit of refinement to the Mario formula over the year. Open world Mario consists of Mario 64, which was their first time with Mario in a 3D space and Sunshine, which is, well, Sunshine.

I expect Odyssey to be a fine result of what they've learnt over the years from both styles of games.

Galaxy to Galaxy 2 transition simply led to an even more streamlined structure in Land and World
They WERE the same "evolution " imho
In fact all are the superior version of a 3d Mario to me ;p

doop_

Banned
The Crazy Cap's company is everywhere, the even have a little pop-up store in Kogwald. The Crazy Cap's in the Aztec world has a pole with a Sombrero, Football helmet and top hat on it.This makes me think that you will be able to switch to different cap's with different abilities at CC stores or that the stores allow you to upgrade the classic cap. Maybe in each area/world you can get a different cap in the worlds style. Maybe the sombrero for the Aztec world and the chef's hat in the crystalline-food world.

SomTervo

I do think that's what they're going for, the problem is that it doesn't look like the real world. It looks like a less stylized cartoon world - like The Sims. I think that's what makes it jarring to some. It doesn't look like Mario traversing into the world we inhabit, but I think that's what they're going for.

Yeah, honestly the Switch's power could be the crutch in this being executed as well as it could be.

That said, the recent pointers about this being a contained 'level' rather than a whole 'real world' may hamper the blow a lot. Who knows what the in-situ setup or context will be like. Maybe it will work OK.

That's a good idea, I hadnt thought of that. Maybe Mario is entering the real world and finding the DK crew took it over or something? (Hence the street/club names, etc) :s

Could be - but again the 'bubble'-like nature of this world says something weirder and more fantastical is going on.

Discussing lore in a Mario game - never thought I'd see the day.

deleted

Could be - but again the 'bubble'-like nature of this world says something weirder and more fantastical is going on.

Discussing lore in a Mario game - never thought I'd see the day.

I wonder if the cylinder shaped ship and Bowser's cylinder have something in common..

A dimension traveling people of hats? And when Bowser stomps Mario's hat, he get one of those that helps him out (conveniently shaped like his old one)

rex

I was wondering how Mario got to the top of that big skyscraper he jumps off of and it looks like there's squareish, yellow lights on it, including one right on ground level, that must be doorways.

I can't wait to see what that looks like and and to just leap off the building and gracefully land in front of some very surprised pedestrians.

tkscz

iTAPckh.jpg

glad to see nintendo agrees with the way I see it. Galaxy is amazing but was Liniar in the way it handled missions. i love in 64 and sunshine that you could explore the entire world anf get stars/shines out of order. Also lot of hate for 3D world. Honestly felt it was absolutely amazing and was the true sequel to Super Mario World

a916

This game is going to be on point gameplay wise isn't it?

everything looks good except that hideous sonic 06 city

Excited about the possibilities of a new Mario game... but this is definitely true. That thing looks awful. With the other levels you don't see it being limited by the tech, the city level, you really see the shortcomings.

grim-tales

It would be a graph saying "Real Paper Mario" and "Experimental mediocrity"

I want a true sequel to Thousand Year Door with a dark story please.
SPM on Wii had some good ideas, and the story and script were great, but the scrapping of your partners (only one of which had a personality) was a bad move.

This game is going to be on point gameplay wise isn't it?

Excited about the possibilities of a new Mario game... but this is definitely true. That thing looks awful. With the other levels you don't see it being limited by the tech, the city level, you really see the shortcomings.
I think come release the city will look much better. It's disappointing at the moment and I get people's criticism about it, but I fully believe come launch the level will have different people, cars, and buildings throughout instead of the copypaste job it has currently.

I do not believe the Galaxy games should be lumped with the 3D games in general. In the context of that comparison image from Nintendo (linear stage-based games versus open-world games) they should be grouped together, but there are so many other things beyond the stages/open world comparison that differentiate those games.

Indeed. The people who argued that the Galaxy and 3D were fundamentally different were out of their minds.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do not believe the Galaxy games should be lumped with the 3D games in general. In the context of that comparison image from Nintendo (linear stage-based games versus open-world games) they should be grouped together, but there are so many other things beyond the stages/open world comparison that differentiate those games.

Well the extreme end of those people were the "3D Land/World aren't true/proper/real 3D Mario games", but this image lumps them with the Galaxy games. So either they have to accept that they are indeed loony bins for ever thinking that or double down and start calling the Galaxy title faux3D too.

I say scrap the city. Still plenty of time to replace it.
You want them to remove content? Well that's certainly a new one.

Fitts

This is the only Switch game announced so far that looks interesting but I'm extremely apprehensive. To me, a big part of a good Mario game is tight level design to compliment the tight controls. "Open world" getting used liberally to describe Odyssey is an immediate red flag.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the same shortcomings you are. The lack of diversity in people and vehicles is one thing, and that's probably a result of the game still being in development. The city doesn't look bad though. Say all you want about it being jarring that Mario is in the real world, but I genuinely don't see how the city itself looks 'awful'.

Well the extreme end of those people were the "3D Land/World aren't true/proper/real 3D Mario games", but this image lumps them with the Galaxy games. So either they have to accept that they are indeed loony bins for ever thinking that or double down and start calling the Galaxy title faux3D too.

I mean that's unnecessary because we all know what those people really meant.

"Real, Proper, True 3D Mario" means "The Mario that I have nostalgia for, the Mario that I want" and means literally nothing else

Is it wrong that I actually love the Mario in the real world city look? For some reason it's just very fun to me. Gives me the feeling of like older cartoons where cartoon characters meet realism, like the comic book BONE or something!

I enjoyed all of them, but 3D World definitely started to feel "old" and safe for a series veteran.

Pretty much how I felt. Still a great game in its own right but I couldn't love it no matter how hard I tried. Not that I didn't adore the other three, but I think the Course Clear got a little long in the tooth. Going back and improving upon the Sandbox model was the right idea since it's been 15 years, so it's super fresh.

At the same time, though, I wonder how exactly progression is going to work. They hadn't touched upon the star system at all, right?

Kazooie

Banned
Is it wrong that I actually love the Mario in the real world city look? For some reason it's just very fun to me. Gives me the feeling of like older cartoons where cartoon characters meet realism, like the comic book BONE or something!
I love it as well. As soon as I saw it I was like 'wut' but at the same time, it just bizarrely seems to fit. It's cool, it's different.

And agree, haven't the Simpsons and Family Guy done episodes in photorealistic dimensions?

Then I read the reactions online and it seems like no one gets it. 'Make the people look more Mario-ish', why?

Red Devil

I'll get a Switch when this game comes out, the food world with the Hammer Brother(?) throwing pans made me laugh, I liked how that jungle/forest place looked.

I love it as well. As soon as I saw it I was like 'wut' but at the same time, it just bizarrely seems to fit. It's cool, it's different.

And agree, haven't the Simpsons and Family Guy done episodes in photorealistic dimensions?

Then I read the reactions online and it seems like no one gets it. 'Make the people look more Mario-ish', why?

The people looks Mario-ish if you take Peach into consideration heh.

rex

I think the city is kind of the highlight of the game so far.

Some of the more purposefully designed platforming sections in the desert and the forest look really good (I suspect people who typically dislike open Mario will find a lot of great gameplay in this new game), but the city seems to really connect on what they're going for with the sandbox approach. It's very cohesive, expansive without being overwhelming, contains a ton of platforming opportunities and, at least at night, is going to throw more activity at the player in the form of enemies and a boss.

They will make more Mario games.

Don't worry lol.

Also glad to see Nintendo confirm what us 3DLand/World fans have been saying all this time.

The Galaxy games were not open world games. Just horrible arguments every time people dismissed 3DWorld and brought up the Galaxy games as open world.

A lot of people weren't able to separate certain elements that both 64 and Galaxy shared, such as star-collecting to progress, a hub world, and hit points for Mario, even though the games were actually very, very different.

Realeza

Banned
This is the only Switch game announced so far that looks interesting but I'm extremely apprehensive. To me, a big part of a good Mario game is tight level design to compliment the tight controls. "Open world" getting used liberally to describe Odyssey is an immediate red flag.

Is open world in the same sense SM64 is open world.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Everything feels so FRESH.

I'm getting "Alice in Wonderland" vibes from a number of things, most notably the hat motif and white rabbit bosses. Not only do they remind me of, well, White Rabbit, but they're dressed like the Mad Hatter.

All of the surreal places feel like a trip down the rabbit hole, too. New Donk City looks like a photorealistic NYC circa 1980. The Mexico-themed world has a day-night cycle, living sphinxes and Day of the Dead imagery. The jungle world is dark and industrialized, with sprinkler robots and rusty rigs. And then you have the abstract food world with its highly stylized low-poly graphics and bright pastel colors — home to living forks, a featherless turkey, and Hammer Bros that wear chef hats and throw frying pans.

To quote "The Nightmare Before Christmas:" What... is... THIS? Whatever it is, it's magical. Imagine if someone had leaked this (like an actual description of the levels, not just the name). It's something I can still hardly believe, even with this amazing trailer at my fingertips.

So exciting. And to think that 3D Mario usually look weakest at the start and appear dramatically better by the time the game releases. If the game looks this good NOW, and it's not out until Holiday 2017... Imagine how epic the final product will be. :-O
Saaaaaaaaaaaame. This is the most excited I've been for a Mario game in 10 years.

I don't think "3DW isn't a 'real' 3D Mario," and in fact think it's one of my favorite 3D Mario games period (especially in multiplayer). However I think the Galaxy titles are pretty fundamentally different. Actually, I'd describe Galaxy as the halfway between 64/Sunshine and the 3DL/3DW games. I really do think each of them is very good, but they are all very different.

Red Devil

I mean, yeah. What else would it be?

(New Donk City is certainly not the world hub ala Peach's Castle)

Since Mario has that ship of sorts I am not sure if there's even a hub world, maybe there's stuff inside the ship ala SMG2?

I'm just going to say.

I like the city despite it looking rough. There's time to improve these things.

I thought it looked interesting and the fact Mario was climbing over buildings show potential for a lot of hidden stuff.

Davey Cakes

I meant to post in this thread.

Short gameplay footage for those who haven't see it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvAQcQo3iE

The environmental interactivity is going to be insane.
Holy cow.

I'm a fan of 3D World but Mario in that game seems handicapped in comparison to this. I can't wait to control a truly athletic Mario again!

the forest area also looks awful... empty/out of scale.

everything else looks great.
Am I the only one who gets Sonic Colors vibes from the forest/jungle area? There's visual similarity with one of the planets in that game, mostly due to the red industrial parts.

Shirke

Something that I found sort of surprising to me was that the Super Mario Odyssey trailer on Youtube has the most views of the Switch related videos at almost 4 million and is currently #1 on trending, with the Zelda BOTW at second with 3.1 million views.

I would have expected Zelda to overtake Mario currently, but this speaks more the enduring legacy that Mario has made in the general public and I can expect that the Switch would move a lot of consoles when it comes out in the holiday.

The_Lump

Banned
All the hate for the 'City'?? Looked great in the gameplay demo. It's a Mario level/world after all and not the next GTA. The trailer did make it look a bit....rough though I admit.

I'd say, give it a chance and wait for more footage.

Top Bottom