• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

rex

It's nice to see Nintendo lump in the Galaxies with 3D Land/World, people are so blind.

I just looked up the Iwata Asks for 3D World and Koizumi says Miyamoto asked him if 3D World would be more like 3D Land or Galaxy which suggests they viewed them as seperate approaches.

Nintendo lies to the world about Galaxy. It does not go unnoticed.

III-V

iTAPckh.jpg

Not sure why I glossed over this earlier. Thank god it will be a return to sunshine & 64 style gameplay.

Anyone have a translation on that text?

I just looked up the Iwata Asks for 3D World and Koizumi says Miyamoto asked him if 3D World would be more like 3D Land or Galaxy which suggests they viewed them as seperate approaches.

Nintendo lies to the world about Galaxy. It does not go unnoticed.

lol, Nintendo is grouping them here based on their differing approach to world design in particular, because it's a useful differentiator and because it's an easy way to establish the kind of game they're going for here. I feel like labeling both Galaxy and 3D World as 'course clear' games is meant to signify the kind of game Odyssey will be by contrast, especially considering the elements that define the games Odyssey was grouped with under 'open world'. Nintendo isn't saying "The games on the top are all the exact same as one another"

Polarbear

Banned
Everything about this looks amazing except for the realistic humans straight out of that Treehouse of Horror Simpsons episode. That shit looks like trash, the contrast between everything else is kind of insane, so maybe there's some in-game reason for it that will make sense when it comes up.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
So what was this presented for? Is it just for illustrative purposes or are they saying these are their two Mario lines going forward?

If they keep a 2d Mario, that would be 3 concurrent Mario platform series? That's a lot.

I mean, I'm not complaining, but that's a lot. Maybe 1 of each series per generation?

III-V

So what was this presented for? Is it just for illustrative purposes or are they saying these are their two Mario lines going forward?

The purpose of this is to show that MO is a return to open world style gaming, similar to sunshine or 64, as opposed to start at point a, end at point b (course clear style).

EDIT: I am really thrilled to see this return, fwiw, it has been too long. Sunshine was great.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mario 64 / Sunshine successor... yup, this is the new Mario game I've wanted for damn near 15 years.

Also please put Mario 64 and Sunshine on the switch VC so we can have the entire "trilogy."

:)

so is something wrong with mario? he's suppose to be human right but everyone else in the world looks different then him lol

^^^^ thinking the same thing as me lol

III-V

I think the point is Mario does not belong to this world, so he is not human, in our sense of the world. Thats why he doesn't fit in, and thats why he is on an Odyssey.

psyfi

Banned
Am I not bothered by the city world because I never played Sonic 06?

I really don't see what the big deal is. It's unusual for Mario, but I'm cool with that for one level.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
The moment I realized the city was just a level among others (instead of being a hub) my opinion completely changed from "oh man, this is strange, don't know what to feel" to "December!? I need this NOW". I think beginning the trailer with the city was a bad choice. It set a very weird tone for everything following it.

The moment I realized the city was just a level among others (instead of being a hub) my opinion completely changed from "oh man, this is strange, don't know what to feel" to "December!? I need this NOW". I think beginning the trailer with the city was a bad choice. It set a very weird tone for everything following it.
No it didn't. I've watch plenty of videos. It made it mysterious because nobody really knew what the game was and it gave people a good shock like "holy crap it's Mario in a real world?!?", then people saw he got in the ship and was flying to other locations.

psyfi

Banned
I dunno, it's just one level out of several others. The fact that you interpreted it as being the hub world just because it was early in the trailer doesn't mean it was a bad idea to have it early in the trailer, lol. I do agree that it isn't the most attractive level shown, and that it would have been better off later on in the trailer, but oh well.

VDenter

Banned

I am not even kidding when i say this seems like on of the best decisions Nintendo has made in the past ten years. So happy to see 64/Sunshine style back. I always thought that the first Galaxy is kind of a bridge game between these two styles though.

Everything feels so FRESH.

I'm getting "Alice in Wonderland" vibes from a number of things, most notably the hat motif and white rabbit bosses. Not only do they remind me of, well, White Rabbit, but they're dressed like the Mad Hatter.

All of the surreal places feel like a trip down the rabbit hole, too. New Donk City looks like a photorealistic NYC circa 1980. The Mexico-themed world has a day-night cycle, living sphinxes and Day of the Dead imagery. The jungle world is dark and industrialized, with sprinkler robots and rusty rigs. And then you have the abstract food world with its highly stylized low-poly graphics and bright pastel colors — home to living forks, a featherless turkey, and Hammer Bros that wear chef hats and throw frying pans.

To quote "The Nightmare Before Christmas:" What... is... THIS? Whatever it is, it's magical. Imagine if someone had leaked this (like an actual description of the levels, not just the name). It's something I can still hardly believe, even with this amazing trailer at my fingertips.

So exciting. And to think that 3D Mario usually look weakest at the start and appear dramatically better by the time the game releases. If the game looks this good NOW, and it's not out until Holiday 2017... Imagine how epic the final product will be. :-O

Good post. I'm actually very happy that they are going to try something new, i just wished the art direction was different but, seeing how they want to follow the steps of sunshine, is not that surprising since i would say that is the 3d mario i liked the least aesthetically.

In any case, maybe add you say they can still improve on it quite a bit. I'm just worried about those rumors saying the game was basically finished and just delayed so that they can release it during the holidays.

All I want fixed is the humans to fit more with Mario's look. Everything else is fine. They look too Sonic-y right now and that's a terrible thing.

The way I interpreted it was that Mario and the humans shown here are from different worlds. The humans from our world and Mario from whichever cartoon alternate universe he's from. Somehow Mario travels to our world (and maybe others) hence the title Super Mario Odyssey. So doesn't it make sense they look different and not like Mario?

MrBadger

I wonder what the objectives are in this game. They're pushing the fact that it's more open like Mario 64, but that was still a game where you pick a level, often navigate linear obstacle courses and get the star at the end.

doop_

Banned
In the worlds we saw, each of the purple collectibles were themed accordingly.

Aztec world - Inverted pyramids.
New Donk - Circular like coins.
The weird crystal food world - They looked kind of circular and had the same Crystal look.
Kogwald - The shape of nuts.

Judge me you fucking freaks.

I love 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. With any luck we'll never see New Super Mario or 3D anything again.

What am I?
Same as me. 3d land and world just weren't for me I guess. The excitement for Odyssey is making me feel like a kid again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well I guess all those peeps who told me I was wrong for lumping the Galaxy games with 3D Land and World can go shag horses or something cos the facts have been laid bare and, as always, I was right and were wrong all along.

Luckily I enjoy both styles, though I'd say my preferences lays with the linear games, but that's also because it consists of four extremely good games that had the benefit of refinement to the Mario formula over the year. Open world Mario consists of Mario 64, which was their first time with Mario in a 3D space and Sunshine, which is, well, Sunshine.

I expect Odyssey to be a fine result of what they've learnt over the years from both styles of games.

Everything feels so FRESH.

I'm getting "Alice in Wonderland" vibes from a number of things, most notably the hat motif and white rabbit bosses. Not only do they remind me of, well, White Rabbit, but they're dressed like the Mad Hatter.

All of the surreal places feel like a trip down the rabbit hole, too. New Donk City looks like a photorealistic NYC circa 1980. The Mexico-themed world has a day-night cycle, living sphinxes and Day of the Dead imagery. The jungle world is dark and industrialized, with sprinkler robots and rusty rigs. And then you have the abstract food world with its highly stylized low-poly graphics and bright pastel colors — home to living forks, a featherless turkey, and Hammer Bros that wear chef hats and throw frying pans.

To quote "The Nightmare Before Christmas:" What... is... THIS? Whatever it is, it's magical. Imagine if someone had leaked this (like an actual description of the levels, not just the name). It's something I can still hardly believe, even with this amazing trailer at my fingertips.

So exciting. And to think that 3D Mario usually look weakest at the start and appear dramatically better by the time the game releases. If the game looks this good NOW, and it's not out until Holiday 2017... Imagine how epic the final product will be. :-O

Preach. I haven't been this excited for a 3D Mario since Galaxy 2.

Top Bottom