• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

MrBadger

I wonder if the more realistic levels with have more of a sound designey focus rather than traditional Mario jazz playing in the background.

Something that I found sort of surprising to me was that the Super Mario Odyssey trailer on Youtube has the most views of the Switch related videos at almost 4 million and is currently #1 on trending, with the Zelda BOTW at second with 3.1 million views.

I would have expected Zelda to overtake Mario currently, but this speaks more the enduring legacy that Mario has made in the general public and I can expect that the Switch would move a lot of consoles when it comes out in the holiday.

I think it's more to do with Zelda being old news and Mario being a new announcement with a weird twist.

Davey Cakes

All the hate for the 'City'?? Looked great in the gameplay demo. It's a Mario level/world after all and not the next GTA. The trailer did make it look a bit....rough though I admit.

I'd say, give it a chance and wait for more footage.
Direct feed footage around release will do the game more favors. So will playing it in person. Believe me, this game will be a looker in 1080p on the TV and it'll probably look fantastic on the tablet screen as well.

Dantrist

I will be so glad to finally get to play a Mario game where there is not one specific end in a level. This is the game I will get a Switch for, 3D Mario has not once disappointed me, and I love the forest and food environments.

Gartooth

iTAPckh.jpg

Galaxy 1 is my favorite game of all time. It dethroned SM64 as my favorite Mario game after just the first night of playing it.

But this, this right here is exactly where 3D Mario needed to go. I have complete faith Nintendo will pull this game off, and if they do this could be my favorite game in the franchise.

Red Devil

Something that I found sort of surprising to me was that the Super Mario Odyssey trailer on Youtube has the most views of the Switch related videos at almost 4 million and is currently #1 on trending, with the Zelda BOTW at second with 3.1 million views.

I would have expected Zelda to overtake Mario currently, but this speaks more the enduring legacy that Mario has made in the general public and I can expect that the Switch would move a lot of consoles when it comes out in the holiday.

Mario is more popular than Zelda.

BotW will still be fine.

That hat with eyes looks hideous... it looks like a help icon straight out of windows help from years past. Distant cousin perhaps?

If anything, it actually reminds me of Rare's old character designs back in their Nintendo days. You know, the whole "take an animal or inanimate object and glue big googly eyes on them" thing that everyone likes to make fun of them for.

Even Yooka-Laylee, it seems.

latest

I think Mario looking a bit out of place in the city level is the point.

yeah seems like the other way to do it would be to make Mario look like a real person. which would be way worse imo.

funny how some people complain about all Mario games looking the same and the New Super Mario artstyle being stale and then now they are trying some new stuff and it's like, "This is weird".

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Judge me you fucking freaks.

I love 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. With any luck we'll never see New Super Mario or 3D anything again.

What am I?

I agree with you entirely, I also agree your tag.

However, as much as I love Galaxy 1 and 2, I'm glad this leans more towards 64/Sunshine, despite loving Galaxy as much as I did.

Well I guess all those peeps who told me I was wrong for lumping the Galaxy games with 3D Land and World can go shag horses or something cos the facts have been laid bare and, as always, I was right and were wrong all along.

I almost consider Galaxy 1 and 2 their own style, so like a third type of 3D Mario. Galaxy 1 in particular at least keeps a decent hub world ala a more open-world 3D platformer, and Galaxy 2 literally has a Super Mario 64 stage recreated, so it's not like they're all that similar to 3D Land/World, aka the fake 3D Mario games.

fronn

This looks kinda awful (that's an exaggeration based on high standards, for what it's worth - more accurately, there was nothing in the trailer that makes me want to play it at all)

This is the least interesting looking "mainline" mario game I can think of... I'm totally willing to believe it'll be good, because Nintendo hasn't made a bad mario game that I can think of... but this is somewhat underwhelming. All I see in modern mario games is a chaotic mix of all sorts of different ideas that don't mesh well - the last really cohesive mario game was the first mario galaxy I think (and I couldn't even be bothered to finish it).

Zelda on the other hand looks like the first Zelda game I'm really excited to play since LTTP, and I'm not really able to quantify why. I think recent Zelda titles have felt so linear and LTTP somehow escaped that in my head (despite being really linear)... nostalgia is probably at play here.

I may just be the odd one out here. The Switch announcement has made me realize that I think nostalgia is the only reason I still care about Nintendo at all these days - I keep hoping for them to be as awesome as they were during the SNES peak, but the world is completely different now and so am I (meaning, even if they were objectively as good as they were during the SNES, I'm not sure I'd be able to see it). Kind of a bummer realization

This looks kinda awful (that's an exaggeration based on high standards, for what it's worth - more accurately, there was nothing in the trailer that makes me want to play it at all)

This is the least interesting looking "mainline" mario game I can think of... I'm totally willing to believe it'll be good, because Nintendo hasn't made a bad mario game that I can think of... but this is somewhat underwhelming. All I see in modern mario games is a chaotic mix of all sorts of different ideas that don't mesh well - the last really cohesive mario game was the first mario galaxy I think (and I couldn't even be bothered to finish it).

Zelda on the other hand looks like the first Zelda game I'm really excited to play since LTTP, and I'm not really able to quantify why. I think recent Zelda titles have felt so linear and LTTP somehow escaped that in my head (despite being really linear)... nostalgia is probably at play here.

I may just be the odd one out here. The Switch announcement has made me realize that I think nostalgia is the only reason I still care about Nintendo at all these days - I keep hoping for them to be as awesome as they were during the SNES peak, but the world is completely different now and so am I (meaning, even if they were objectively as good as they were during the SNES, I'm not sure I'd be able to see it). Kind of a bummer realization

1266814.gif

rex

When 3D World came out Nintendo called it the culmination of all things 3D Mario.

That obviously wasn't true, and I doubt even Nintendo themselves believed it.

But Odyssey on the other hand, is the culmination of 3D Mario.

SM64 x Sunshine x Galaxy Minus the counterfeits = Ultimate 3D Mario

Glorious

Red Devil

When 3D World came out Nintendo called it the culmination of all things 3D Mario.

That obviously wasn't true, and I doubt even Nintendo themselves believed it.

But Odyssey on the other hand, is the culmination of 3D Mario.

SM64 x Sunshine x Galaxy Minus the counterfeits = Ultimate 3D Mario

Glorious

Some stuff looks to be from 3D Land/World too.

In addition that it appears this one doesn't have multiplayer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I swear to god y'all don't actually remember 3D Sonic in here
I despise 3D Sonic. And the realistic humans in a realistic city don't help.

I think the point is Mario does not belong to this world, so he is not human, in our sense of the world. Thats why he doesn't fit in, and thats why he is on an Odyssey.
No, Mario is an oddity. Not an odyssey. An odyssey is what Mario is on right now. An oddity is what Mario looks like to the humans... or so you would think...
The way I interpreted it was that Mario and the humans shown here are from different worlds. The humans from our world and Mario from whichever cartoon alternate universe he's from. Somehow Mario travels to our world (and maybe others) hence the title Super Mario Odyssey. So doesn't it make sense they look different and not like Mario?
...since this world, this city, full of realistic humans, is obviously populated with a lot of pop culture stuff from the Mushroom Kingdom. So either this city is part of Mario's world already, in which case the humans are the real oddity (Even Peach would look out of place) or their world was somehow taken over by Bowser's magic, kind of like that episode of The Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3 "7 Kingdoms for 7 Koopas" in which Bowser invades the real world, Mario's original home, and gives each of his kids (Because they were his damn kids dammit!) a continent. Actually I'd be really excited if the game ended up being a video game realization of that episode. But obviously it's not since there are worlds with sentient forks and giant fruit. And of course in that cartoon episode, the humans looked more like Mario than uncanny valley Sonic humans. Plus this is the only world where we seem to see "real" humans. All the rest have other types of NPCs. So I'm betting this New Donk City was created for Mario as a trap by Bowser.

I'm still hoping that each world in the game does have a Koopaling guarding it. Bowser Jr. can guard the 8th world and Bowser can be the final boss with maybe 8 mini-challenges and battle repeats before hand.

I wonder what trinket Mario will have to collect. We haven't seen any power stars or shines yet. (Have we?) If the game is being lumped with 64 and Sunshine that means it'll have each world contain a bunch of stars or whatever. Mario 64 had 15 worlds and a few side worlds so hopefully Odyssey can match or top it.

The trailer was awesome. I think I'm going to enjoy taking the lion for random rides around the desert at night; the moonlit sky looks phenomenal.

E-Cat

Kind of surprised by how much cynicism this game is garnering from GAF (not really).

Mario does look hilariously out of place in the city, though I slightly prefer the realistically proportioned people to those hideous blobs,or whatever they were, from Sunshine.

Anyway, digging the open world design and the moveset so far. I just hope that there's enough tight platforming to balance out the exploration.

After watching the trailer a couple of times more, i'm starting to warm up for the game.
Mario has a lot of nice new little animations. And the huge diversity of the levels is awesome. I still have some issues with that human city and the realistic looking forrest but i think the game will be really awesome and will bring some new stuff for Mario.

nullset2

Holy cow.

I'm a fan of 3D World but Mario in that game seems handicapped in comparison to this. I can't wait to control a truly athletic Mario again!

Am I the only one who gets Sonic Colors vibes from the forest/jungle area? There's visual similarity with one of the planets in that game, mostly due to the red industrial parts.

I wonder if 15 years from now we'll have some guy try to beat mario oddysey with 0 A presses.

bachikarn

Does anyone else think that the city level is a nod to GTA3? I remember Miayamoto saying he always respected GTA3 and the sandbox gameplay it had. It was kind of similar to Mario 64 in that regard.

I haven't been this excited for a 3D Mario since Galaxy 1. I love this new direction and am so relieved to see Nintendo finally taking a long awaited risk with the franchise after years of having to endure Super Mario 3D Bland. Whether it succeeds or fails, you know something's wrong if I'm more interested in the next risk the new 3D Sonic is going to take over the next 3D Mario, and with this they've finally answered my wish.

Can't wait for true open movement and camera controls once again akin to Galaxy/Sunshine/64.

Kind of surprised by how much cynicism this game is garnering from GAF (not really).

Mario does look hilariously out of place in the city, though I slightly prefer the realistically proportioned people to those hideous blobs,or whatever they were, from Sunshine.

Anyway, digging the open world design and the moveset so far. I just hope that there's enough tight platforming to balance out the exploration.

Once it comes out Gaf will be singing it praises for decades to come. Looks amazing.

Camera controls in Galaxy, what?
Perhaps I misworded, I meant the more organic, free camera angles in Galaxy versus the locked, isometric camera in Land/world. The lower to the ground, front facing camera in the Galaxies really gave the impression of a more open, breathing world.

Combined with the free moving, athletic Mario, these games felt closer to the openness of 64 and Sunshine despite having linear level design.

I cant wait to hear more of the ost, wasnt impressed by the trailer music but if 3d world and galaxy are anything to go by this should have fantastic music

Top Bottom