• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - Review Thread

What the fuck or is playzine?

That review shouldn't even be on there. Doesn't make any sense going on about crappy brainwashing people.

Gabe3208

Banned
Depends on the kingdom. There are like 5 REALLY big ones, 5 medium sized ones and a few small ones that are, imo, too small. That's probably the only dissapointment I had. But even the medium sized ones have so much to discover.

Awesome! That answers my questions perfectly, thanks!

Sanctuary

If I didn't have a PC and PS4 with a bunch of stuff still lined up, then for sure I'd already have a switch. But I can be patient. I think.

This is kind of where I'm at too. I have a few games that are almost, but not quite finished, and some that I haven't even really touched yet like RotTR and MGS V (GZ and TPP).

LAA

Got the game yesterday and enjoying it, but I don't agree with controls being perfect.
Main reason being... some actions seem to be motion only, and that's more annoying for someone like me who mostly plays portably.

Still very excited to play through the game.

hvxAf09_d.jpg

JMY86

Looks great. I will definitely pick this up when I jump back in on the Switch after Fire Emblem comes out.

Davey Cakes

Spoiler: it's going to get reviews in line with Breath of the Wild. The level of ambition is similar, but applied to a 3D platformer as opposed to an adventure game.

There hasn't been a truly bad Mario game in a long time, but this is the one that's going to put the Italian plumber on the map with a giant neon sign saying "hey, I'm back and better than ever!"

Can't freakin' wait. I'm buying a Switch just for this game!

Great to see Nintendo return to form after the Mario titles on Wii U.
Nintendo was "in form" with the Mario titles on Wii U. NSMBU and 3D World are terrific and are the best iterations of the games in those respective lines. Captain Toad alone justifies 3D World. That said, they were just a bit too safe and were released on an already-unexciting platform. Congrats to EPD for delivering another stellar piece of entertainment.

Now we get a refreshing, exciting Mario game on a popular system that people are actually enthusiastic about. That's why I wouldn't call it a return to form, but rather an improvement in form. Nintendo is coming out swinging, with lots of ambition and drive.

Congrats Nintendo. Can't wait to play this.

Meta 97
Open 98

How do these guys do it? Great job and a huge congrats again to the dev teams.

Great to see Nintendo return to form after the Mario titles on Wii U.

Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker were both brilliant, the last 2 games made by this team of people.

SM3DW in particular was amazing. Might not have been your cup of tea but it was so polished, creative and well made.

Tankard

Definitely don't want a Switch, but i dooo want this game.

Hello close friendss. Game night, your place? I will bring the beers.

No one asked but I wanted to just make a special mention for Metro Kingdom / New Donk City.

To me, its the culmination of everything that makes this game great. Its not TOO big of a level but its just so, so packed with fun stuff to do. Its like a virtual playground. What a FAN-TAS-TIC level.

Its basically (and this goes for the entire game): everything you try, will get you something. Everything is rewarding. See this, or that, or think about doing this or that? The game will reward you for it.

In that sense, its very comparable to Botw. Everything you do there gives you a reward. Mario combines the best of both the Shrines and Korok Seeds: there are almost as much Korok Seeds to find, but for most of them you have to do a cool puzzle or platform section.

No one asked but I wanted to just make a special mention for Metro Kingdom / New Donk City.

To me, its the culmination of everything that makes this game great. Its not TOO big of a level but its just so, so packed with fun stuff to do. Its like a virtual playground. What a FAN-TAS-TIC level.

Its basically (and this goes for the entire game): everything you try, will get you something. Everything is rewarding. See this, or that, or think about doing this or that? The game will reward you for it.

In that sense, its very comparable to Botw. Everything you do there gives you a reward. Mario combines the best of both the Shrines and Korok Seeds: there are almost as much Korok Seeds to find, but for most of them you have to do a cool puzzle or platform section.

Great to hear! I always had faith in that level even as far back as January when people were making Sonic 06 comparisons.

Can't wait!

GCX

It's rare even for Nintendo to release not one but two such universally praised games in the same year.

CEJames

Trying to look at Mario Odyssey on Metacritic and I'm getting 503'd? Is it under stress or something?

Right now, I'm seeing 97 for it. My money is on it pretty much being a tie with BOTW.

Toni

Not getting a Switch until there is decent Third and First party support for it. Maybe 1 year from now.

It is sublime however, that Nintendo seems to be willing to cut the time frame for when that happens eventually with so many quality releases in just the first year.

Also as expected among most people i guess. Mario won best reviews of the 3 big releases tomorrow. By a quite wide margin as well.

Do you guys think this will translate well to sales? Zelda is still charting in the NPD so.

Also as expected among most people i guess. Mario won best reviews of the 3 big releases tomorrow. By a quite wide margin as well.

Do you guys think this will translate well to sales? Zelda is still charting in the NPD so.

Mario always sells well so I don't get your question. It'll probably sell millions before the end of the year. I expect 10+ million by the end.

Mario games almost always outsell comparable Zelda games (64> OOT/MM, Sunshine > WW, Galaxy > TP, Galaxy 2 > SS, 3D World > BoTW Wii U).

BoTW sales are the floor surely. It'll do very, very well I reckon.

Luq

Fuck you Nintendo, stop making me wanting another of your hardware!

On a serious note - I'm gonna play that shit out of it after Xmas :)

Top Bottom