• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake: Overview Trailer Released

Robb

Gold Member
Do Want Give It To Me GIF

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
As a Sega kid I missed out on this one growing up. I have it on the SNES mini, but havent given it a fair shot.

Very excited for next Friday. Mostly because itll be the final game I buy for the year. Finally my wallet can take a fucking break.

Sojiro

SquareSoft absolutely could not miss in those days.
Absolutely. I had complete and utter trust in that company during the late SNES days and all through the PS1 life. I would buy a game that had their brand on it with confidence that I would most likely find it fun. Every game I bought from them I enjoyed and thought was worth the purchase. Even Bushido Blade, which was a bit rough around the edges, but still fun and unique. There will never be a time again where a dev can release so many quality games at the rate that company was, it was fucking nuts, those guys must have lived out of their offices.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Have you played the original by chance? Seemingly it looks and feels better than the original, which I thought would be hard to achieve given the original sets a pretty good standard for the genre.
I don't know. The game seems really anime.

I will try out the demo. They may have gone too anime on this one.

Raven117

Gold Member
Absolutely. I had complete and utter trust in that company during the late SNES days and all through the PS1 life. I would buy a game that had their brand on it with confidence that I would most likely find it fun. Every game I bought from them I enjoyed and thought was worth the purchase. Even Bushido Blade, which was a bit rough around the edges, but still fun and unique. There will never be a time again where a dev can release so many quality games at the rate that company was, it was fucking nuts, those guys must have lived out of their offices.
Absolutely. Anything from the snes ps1 days was guaranteed to at least be interesting. Some better than others, but all were “good” and some best games ever.

Just an anecdote, on recommendations that it was somewhat like Chrono trigger, I picked up sea of stars. All it did was remind me just how good Chrono trigger really is. I stopped playing sea of stars and started Chrono trigger again.

It’s absolutely timeless… along with many others

Day One, my 4th Voucher game! Can't wait.

Looks incredible, love that they made CGI cutscenes, kept intact all the odd/unique variations of characters that are allegedly "not allowed" in newer Paper Mario games, and added a bestiary and post-game boss challenges. So happy Nintendo made this happen. So stoked for this one, the perfect holiday game!

2023 definitely been one of the better Switch years from first-party, with Pikmin, Mario Wonder, and Mario RPG remake all within 4 months.

Last edited:

saintjules

I don't know. The game seems really anime.

I will try out the demo. They may have gone too anime on this one.

I don't think so personally. I think those anime gestures were shown more in the animation cutscenes possiblly. I do remember the sweatdrop animations in the game though. But all in all it was pretty light imo.

Sojiro

Absolutely. Anything from the snes ps1 days was guaranteed to at least be interesting. Some better than others, but all were “good” and some best games ever.

Just an anecdote, on recommendations that it was somewhat like Chrono trigger, I picked up sea of stars. All it did was remind me just how good Chrono trigger really is. I stopped playing sea of stars and started Chrono trigger again.

It’s absolutely timeless… along with many others
Nothing against Sea of Stars personally, but I try not to go off the whole angle many indie devs push that it's "like Chrono Trigger" after I was burned by I am Setsuna. That game was a chore to finish, and barely had any of the things that made it feel like Chrono Trigger outside of three person parties and some abilities that acted like dual or triple techs from CT. While all these games like to toss around CT as their inspiration, none of them come even remotely close and you are better of just going through another run of CT lol.

Raven117

Gold Member
Nothing against Sea of Stars personally, but I try not to go off the whole angle many indie devs push that it's "like Chrono Trigger" after I was burned by I am Setsuna. That game was a chore to finish, and barely had any of the things that made it feel like Chrono Trigger outside of three person parties and some abilities that acted like dual or triple techs from CT. While all these games like to toss around CT as their inspiration, none of them come even remotely close and you are better of just going through another run of CT lol.
Yuuuuup. This. All of them lack the soul that CT has.

I played through CT a few months back and have to disagree. Sea of Stars has the benefit of years of refinement in the genre and has CT to thank for blazing the trail but Sea of Stars was better in every way. I'll always love CT but on a objective basis taking nostalgia out of the equation? SoS beats it by a mile.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The original looks so ugly (always did, nothing against sprites, 2D, old games or whatever here), this is a nice upgrade while keeping the weird ass style.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The original looks so ugly (always did, nothing against sprites, 2D, old games or whatever here), this is a nice upgrade while keeping the weird ass style.
I don't think it looks ugly, but yeah going full 3D when the original game used prerendered CGI/clay sprites only makes sense. Any remake of a game which used prerendered elements heavily should go for that approach.

poodaddy

I played through CT a few months back and have to disagree. Sea of Stars has the benefit of years of refinement in the genre and has CT to thank for blazing the trail but Sea of Stars was better in every way. I'll always love CT but on a objective basis taking nostalgia out of the equation? SoS beats it by a mile.
J Peterman No GIF

"Objective basis". We're talking about opinions on video games here bro, not how to maximize profit on a transaction. There is no objectivity, just what you prefer, but I digress.

On topic: Incredibly hype for this, I don't preorder games often, but I had to have this one. This is my childhood man. I get to play through my first RPG with my daughter dude. This is gonna be special.

Davey Cakes

My only hangup with this game is that it looks basically 1:1 with the original other than some tweaks to the battle system. Nothing so far has pointed to any new sequences being added to the game or anything, which leads me to believe that it'll be a nice cleaned up experience for new players but won't offer too much for returning players other than a nostalgic romp.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I assume that added some content to the game that was not in the original.

There is probably some extra bonus stuff.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They're selling this at full price, correct?

I can't justify that price for a 1:1 remaster of a SNES game with some slight tweaks to the combat system and a few extras. Metroid Prime Remaster was €40. No reason SMRPG should be €60. I usually scoff at "Nintendo tax" comments, but this is one instance when they're right.
Unless there's a good chunk of new stuff they've kept totally quiet about, but Nintendo is pretty spoiler-happy these days, so I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be the case.

People love to shit on the latest Paper Mario games, and yet those are completely original, very creative and full of content. Yet I'm sure this short 27-year-old game will be praised and held as an example of a type of game Mario RPGs should go back to.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I can't justify that price for a 1:1 remaster of a SNES game with some slight tweaks to the combat system and a few extras. Metroid Prime Remaster was €40. No reason SMRPG should be €60. I usually scoff at "Nintendo tax" comments, but this is one instance when they're right.
Unless there's a good chunk of new stuff they've kept totally quiet about, but Nintendo is pretty spoiler-happy these days, so I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be the case.

People love to shit on the latest Paper Mario games, and yet those are completely original, very creative and full of content. Yet I'm sure this short 27-year-old game will be praised and held as an example of a type of game Mario RPGs should go back to.

Ya its full price. There might just be some new shit in there considering they ditched the "Legend of the Seven Stars" subtitle.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I can't justify that price for a 1:1 remaster of a SNES game with some slight tweaks to the combat system and a few extras.
That depends on each person, for example I never got the chance to play the original game so for me this worth full price, but maybe not for those who already played the game.

You could say the same thing about Demons Souls (2020), they did nothing other than changing the visuals and they even using games's original code and logic, this is why the AI for Maneater boss still broken like the original PS3 version.

Chastten

Banned
Actually really looking forward to this game.

Never played the original as it never got a release in Euroland and while I do own it on the SNES mini, I never actually used that thing. I'm completely okay with this being just a 1:1 remaster of the original.

In fact, this is the exact reason I'm okay with lots of remakes and ports, especially for games that never got a Euro release (and there were a lot of those).

J Peterman No GIF

"Objective basis". We're talking about opinions on video games here bro, not how to maximize profit on a transaction. There is no objectivity, just what you prefer, but I digress.

On topic: Incredibly hype for this, I don't preorder games often, but I had to have this one. This is my childhood man. I get to play through my first RPG with my daughter dude. This is gonna be special.

You don't think game systems, audio, visuals, game pacing and content have objective qualities? Mind you I fully understand and expected the reactions. If you come at it from a nostalgia point of view of course you come to the conclusion that CT is the better game. I have my own biases for classic games as well.

I played OG CT literally a month before sea of stars. It's a glaring difference as it should be.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Feel free to eat me alive, but not having played the original this looks like baby's first jrpg and I had to force myself just to make it to the end of the trailer. I have no idea what everyone else sees here.

Davey Cakes

Feel free to eat me alive, but not having played the original this looks like baby's first jrpg and I had to force myself just to make it to the end of the trailer. I have no idea what everyone else sees here.
Super Mario RPG was always a more palatable version of Square's other RPGs. So yeah, it probably belongs to the family of Mystic Quest, Pokemon, Earthbound, and the Mario & Luigi (or Paper Mario) series.

It might be a gateway RPG and not particularly deep, but it's still a fun and charming game.

Last edited:

poodaddy

You don't think game systems, audio, visuals, game pacing and content have objective qualities? Mind you I fully understand and expected the reactions. If you come at it from a nostalgia point of view of course you come to the conclusion that CT is the better game. I have my own biases for classic games as well.

I played OG CT literally a month before sea of stars. It's a glaring difference as it should be.

In answer to your question, no, I don't think games have objective qualities. Some things that seem like advancements can be detractions to others, so while they may seem like objective improvements to you, and in most cases me as well, the extent of the improvement is still subjective. Look at the fact that some lunatics actually prefer 30 fps to 60. You and I might think they're nuts, and generally I do think there's something severely wrong with either their eye sight or their brain to prefer a lower frame rate, but hell I can't say their opinions aren't valid, so that means even something as quantifiable as frame rate can be subjective. Some people prefer to play their games at low resolutions as well, again, seems crazy to me, but hey.....subjectivity.

I also respect your opinion, and though I disagree with it I get what you're saying and good on you for defending it.

Arcadialane

its a from the ground up remake though. Is something like resident evil 4 remake not worth full price?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m annoyed. I preordered the game with a game voucher, but I guess I didn’t realize it doesn’t “spend” the voucher until the game comes out. So I had this “extra” voucher that was gonna expire in a few weeks, so I just blew it on the new Warioware game, which is only $50.

Lo and behold, when it came time to preload Mario RPG, it was like “lol you don’t really have this game”. Really stupid.

Top Bottom