• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

MrBadger

More like Sonic is finished.

He's not really finished but sonic runners looked pretty ugly compared to this.

Sonic Runners was an alright game that was completely ruined by its F2P nature. So many irritating ads, literal gambling and stuff that just gets in the way. Honestly couldn't stand it and deleted the game every time I tried to get into it.

Mario Run not being F2P already guarantees a better experience. Except for the sound department. Runners had a surprisingly high quality soundtrack, while Mairo's back to recycling NSMB music

Cheech

Nah, their mobile output gathers completely new users for nintendo games. It's a goldmine that doesn't overlap with HC gamers.

It depends entirely on price. The market is not going to support a piece of hardware that only plays Nintendo games, unless the price is *cheap*. Sure, the 2DS might have had a pretty good sales spike due to Pokemon Go, but it's also less than $100 all day long and has a huge library built up over the years.

Microsoft and Sony have one end of the market cornered, and Apple has the other. Nintendo just got squeezed out, I think, and I'm not sure what part of the market will support yet another hardware effort from them.

I actually dig the Rayman platformers on mobile so if it's anything like it I'm really in. It's probably not vertical-only but these screens are a pretty weird way to show it, haha.

This game looks fun but I'm pretty bummed that they're using the New Super Mario Bros. assets AGAIN.

I really miss the days of every new Mario having a distinct look.

Kouriozan

Level list that was in the presentation :

i5ZfHW9.png

You recruit Toads for your Mushroom Kingdom with the multiplayer mode.

How much I'll need to quote this until people stop saying endless runner.
Can't be endless when there is goal or "end".

MrBadger

To the average mobile user, probably not.

True to the average mobile user, but on a gaming enthusiast forum, I imagine people would take note of the distinctions more. Endless runner implies randomly generated level design, no end goals and constantly being asked to pay more money to keep your winning streak going. And those are really the things people here hate about mobile gaming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Biggest surprise for sure. Didn't think Nintendo would go for this. But here we are. Just a runner, while the "real" Mario games will likely still only be on Nintendo platforms, but this is a big step for this company. If the NX does as poorly as the U, who knows what will happen.

Ya know, I've never referred to the mobile platformer games as endless runners. I've always called em auto runners which is what this Mario game is. I didn't realize the genre was widely known as endless and not auto.

True to the average mobile user, but on a gaming enthusiast forum, I imagine people would take note of the distinctions more. Endless runner implies randomly generated level design, no end goals and constantly being asked to pay more money to keep your winning streak going. And those are really the things people here hate about mobile gaming.
You would imagine, but you usually don't see much distinction outside of the mobile game focused threads

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I thought people here hate mobile gaming because it's on mobile phones, or did we get past that part?

Ya know, I've never referred to the mobile platformer games as endless runners. I've always called em auto runners which is what this Mario game is. I didn't realize the genre was widely known as endless and not auto.
Endless runners tend to be auto-run, but not all auto-runners are endless.

nkarafo

Mario has come so long.

From Mario Bros 1 to the amazing Mario Bros 3, to the even more amazing Mario 64 where you have full control in a 3D environment, then to Galaxy and recently to 3D world.

And now people are clapping for Mario at his most dumbed down and simplistic form, a game where the only thing you do is tapping your finger at the right moment.

That's the devolution of gaming for me. Thanks mobile gaming.

I thought people here hate mobile gaming because it's on mobile phones, or did we get past that part?

We (i) hate mobile games because the controls suck ass. Which is why I stick to menu based RPGs for my mobile phone games. The devs know it too, which is why we get auto runners and no real Mario clones.

zoukka

So it's basicaly a rayman on mobile clone but has the mario name going for it.

If by "being in the same genre" means "clone" to you, then yeah it's a rayman clone!

It depends entirely on price. The market is not going to support a piece of hardware that only plays Nintendo games, unless the price is *cheap*. Sure, the 2DS might have had a pretty good sales spike due to Pokemon Go, but it's also less than $100 all day long and has a huge library built up over the years.

Microsoft and Sony have one end of the market cornered, and Apple has the other. Nintendo just got squeezed out, I think, and I'm not sure what part of the market will support yet another hardware effort from them.

You don't compete with Apple when you release games for iOS... everyone has a phone. Any successful game on phones doesn't cannibalize console/PC sales at all.

Mario has come so long.

From Mario Bros 1 to the amazing Mario Bros 3, to the even more amazing Mario 64 where you have full control in a 3D environment, then to Galaxy and recently to 3D world.

And now people are clapping for Mario at his most dumbed down and simplistic form, a game where the only thing you do is tapping your finger at the right moment.

I think you forgot that this is not the next main installment of Mario games lol.

Mario has come so long.

From Mario Bros 1 to the amazing Mario Bros 3, to the even more amazing Mario 64 then to Galaxy and 3D world.

And now people are clapping for Mario at his most dumbed down form, a game where the only thing you do is tapping your finger at the right moment.

One doesn't replace the other, you know.

Just imagine how people would react if there was a turn-based isometric Hitman or Tomb Raider on mobile. That would just be insane

Mario has come so long.

All Mario games moving forward are mobile runners confirmed.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mario has come so long.

But this is supplemental for core gamers (play Mario on your phone at work or while on mass transit) and a bridge for non-gamers who don't play games any other way. It doesn't stop them from making multiple additional Mario games for dedicated game systems.

Mario has come so long.

I know right? No more high quality Mario games are coming to NX? Chill out man. Nintendo wants to expand their brand and use this opportunity to bring fans to the NX.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We (i) hate mobile games because the controls suck ass. Which is why I stick to menu based RPGs for my mobile phone games. The devs know it too, which is why we get auto runners and no real Mario clones.

Which is why the Rayman, Hitman and Lara Croft mobile games are so good. They were made to work with touchscreen controls instead of trying to cram the console experience onto a phone.

nkarafo

One doesn't replace the other, you know.
No but it seems like so many people were looking forward for this.

It's like they don't even care what kind of game this is or how good or bad. All we wanted was Mario on mobile. Look how excited everyone is in the video.

Do they even see the game? If something like this was shown on a console or something everyone would throw tomatoes at the stage. Why are the standards of mobile gaming so low?

rhandino

Banned
Mario has come so long.

This posts is almost on the level of that "Square just shot themselves in the foot." post.

Yikes, a simple runner game does not mean that you all going to stop receiving traditional games.

Top Bottom