• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No but it seems like so many people were looking forward for this.

It's like they don't even care what kind of game this is or how good or bad. All we wanted was Mario on mobile. Look how excited everyone is in the video.

Do they even see the game? If something like this was shown on a console or something everyone would throw tomatoes at the stage. Why are the standards of mobile gaming so low?

Because different things work on different platforms. The Rayman phone games are great exactly because they don't try to be traditional platformers with traditional controls. Would I rather play a traditional Mario game than this? Yes, but this is the right way to do Mario on phones. Going full console experience with virtual buttons and all that shit always sucks.

This posts is almost on the level of that "Square just shot themselves in the foot." post.

Yikes, a simple runner game does not mean that you all going to stop receiving traditional games.
You would think after nearly a decade, people wouldn't descend into hyberbolic proclamations of doom when the word "mobile" is uttered

True to the average mobile user, but on a gaming enthusiast forum, I imagine people would take note of the distinctions more. Endless runner implies randomly generated level design, no end goals and constantly being asked to pay more money to keep your winning streak going. And those are really the things people here hate about mobile gaming.

I mean, I agree with you fully....but my point still stands. Most people, even on this forum, aren't really able to distinguish between the two, even if they should be able to. The very notion of an auto-scrolling game is an instant turn-off for many, so seeing the two types of "runner" games being used interchangeably isn't all that surprising.

It's like they don't even care what kind of game this is or how good or bad. All we wanted was Mario on mobile. Look how excited everyone is in the video.

Do they even see the game? If something like this was shown on a console or something everyone would throw tomatoes at the stage. Why are the standards of mobile gaming so low?
Probably because this game is going to be sold for significantly less than anything you can buy on a console. It also looks like it will play like those NSMB2 levels which were a lot of fun and probably the best levels of the game.

Aaron D.

pnewX5N.png

The fact that Nintendo crushed the competition with just a runner game

Ha impacT

SlayTendo on a different level confirmed

Truly the Beyoncé of video games

KJLsNqt.gif

Mega

Banned
Mario has come so long.

From Mario Bros 1 to the amazing Mario Bros 3, to the even more amazing Mario 64 where you have full control in a 3D environment, then to Galaxy and recently to 3D world.

And now people are clapping for Mario at his most dumbed down and simplistic form, a game where the only thing you do is tapping your finger at the right moment.

That's the devolution of gaming for me. Thanks mobile gaming.

Ridiculous post. We're still getting high quality Mario platformers, more than ever before. 3D Land, 3D World, NSMB2, NSMBU, NS Luigi, Captain Toad, etc.

There will be even more with NX. This is just a mobile offering because precise platformers don't work on phones. Calm down.

Smart business move for Nintendo. What really sold me is having this be a non-freemium game. Most of the iPhone game fodder is nothing but play for 2-3 minutes then get slammed with ads or stuck being a paywall.

It's also looking like Miitomo might be a bridge/hub between Apple and NX

Mega

Banned

Because precise platformers like Mario don't work on mobile. They're frustrating with touch controls. This is perfect for simple touchscreen gaming. Why are you being so ridiculous?

Pusherman

When done right one tap games can be incredibly good and I trust Nintendo to do right by Mario so I'm interested. Mobile games can be pretty great, some of my favorite games are on mobile.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Because that's what the interface can handle.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Looks neat but I really want an augmented reality Mario RPG game like PokémonGO where I battle Goombas and Koopas and other enemies outside.

stilgar

Mario has come so long.

From Mario Bros 1 to the amazing Mario Bros 3, to the even more amazing Mario 64 where you have full control in a 3D environment, then to Galaxy and recently to 3D world.

And now people are clapping for Mario at his most dumbed down and simplistic form, a game where the only thing you do is tapping your finger at the right moment.

That's the devolution of gaming for me. Thanks mobile gaming.

holy shit.

It's a fucking mobile spin off.

Hotel_Mario.jpg

Oh noes Mario has gone so low ;_;

When done right one tap games can be incredibly good and I trust Nintendo to do right by Mario so I'm interested. Mobile games can be pretty great, some of my favorite games are on mobile.
For anybody not aware that one button games can be deep, let me know and I'll give you a list as long as your arm of amazing, deep, fun one button games.

On mobile and console.

Koyuga

Not interested in anything New Super Mario but at least this will shut up everybody that's been begging for Mario on iPhone.

Wonder what Animal Crossing will be like on mobile.

Should have just made Flappy Mario and reclaimed their pipe graphic. This seems to appeal to the same sort of audience.

(also, lol at all the people losing their minds on the first few pages over a runner. Embarrassing.)

Should have just made Flappy Mario and reclaimed their pipe graphic. This seems to appeal to the same sort of audience.

(also, lol at all the people losing their minds on the first few pages over a runner. Embarrassing.)
One could argue needlessly annoyed reactions to excitement over a popular franchise coming to a popular platform is perhaps more embarrassing

I think it looks really fun.

A bit like a new smartphone take on Donkey Kong 94 (which is one of the GOAT GameBoy games).

I'll be there when it lands on NX/ Androind.

Yes, clearly it was over the game and not the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto appeared on stage at an Apple event to announce their first mobile Mario title.

Elija2

I was kinda hoping that they'd come up with a more interesting idea than an auto-runner, but I'll still try it out when it comes to Android.

I'm disappointed, not because it's a mobile game (it actually looks nice, I don't have a smartphone so I won't play it though) but because we've been waiting so long for more Nintendo projects.

Just look at Mario. The latest main series release was in 2013 with Super Mario 3D World. Since then, Nintendo gave us:
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Retro). Pretty good.
- Mario Kart 8 (EAD). Pretty good.
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (EAD). A nice little puzzle game but nothing mindblowing.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (NST). Just the same game as usual.
- Mario Party 10 (Nd Cube). Terrible.
- Super Mario Maker (EAD). It's okay.
- Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge (NST). Just the same game as usual, but for amiibo lovers.
- Mario Party: Star Rush (Nd Cube). I guess it looks okay.
- Super Mario Maker For Nintendo 3DS (EAD). Just a port.
- Super Mario Run. Just a phone game.

I'd say it's very subpar, and they've been making us wait on the next "big" game for a long time now. EAD in particular hasn't released anything interesting enough since Mario Kart 8. And this is just for Mario.

Let me ask, would you expect a grand strategy game on Vita?

Standards are just different, just like PC vs console, or console vs handheld. If you want something good to play, check out The Room or the Sorcery series or Dark Echo or Lara Croft GO or Empire: Deck Building Strategy or Wayward Souls, or countless other games

Yeah, so an auto-runner. Just not an endless one. And I'm not complaining, the Rayman auto-runners are great.

they're the same thing.
Runner and Runner2 (and Rayman Jungle Run) are endless runners, they still had levels. genres don't really care about semantics or our desire to avoid negative stigma.

Wait hold on, I always thought the "endless runner" designation was because you were always running, not because the levels were endless.

you are correct

jman2050

New page so here is the clarification.

THIS IS NOT AN ENDLESS RUNNER.

This is a runner game with DISTINCT PREMADE LEVELS, HIGH SCORES, and GOAL POINTS.

Wait hold on, I always thought the "endless runner" designation was because you were always running, not because the levels were endless.

Top Bottom