• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run is sexist

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBadger

I mean Mario could be the star and still have Peach available from the get go as well

True, they could have done that. The unlocks provide more incentive to play, and it seems like that was a bigger priority to Nintendo than picking and choosing who besides Mario should be playable at the start.

Kids don't give a shit about this stuff unless they are told to give a shit about it.

Some parents can't just let their kids be kids I guess.

Let their imagination flow, the serious stuff that their minds will have to process is for another day which unfortunately is not that far away.

Many little girls care when they don't see a women to play as.

We literally had an example of that in this tread...

Does anyone else find it interesting, maybe good?, that all these hot takes about Nintendo are now pouring in over this game? It's as if all these hot takes forgot Nintendo was a company for the last 10-15 years and now remember they exist.

MrBadger

Does anyone else find it interesting, maybe good?, that all these hot takes about Nintendo are now pouring in over this game? It's as if all these hot takes forgot Nintendo was a company for the last 10-15 years and now remember they exist.

I agree, it is interesting to see Mario's tired old damsel trope reaching a new audience that stopped playing Nintendo systems when that was still the only story a game would have.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This thread was already on gaming and was locked due to people being sexist and stupid.

It isn't sexist to save a woman in a videogame.

It would be sexist in form of objectification if Nintendo thinks that women are only good for being saved, which can't be supported by Nintendo's output.
In the case of Mario & Zelda yeah those games are pretty sexist since Peach & Zelda always have to be saved except in a few occasions.

I agree, it is interesting to see Mario's tired old damsel trope reaching a new audience that stopped playing Nintendo systems when that was still the only story a game would have.

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing?

My point was more in how Nintendo is suddenly in popular discussion again, and now people feel the need to call them out on something. Not during the Wii or WiiU generations where we got a smattering of Mario games pushing the same trope.

bachikarn

Nintendo is using literally the same premise as they were 30 years ago. Is it really surprising that that premise may be a little sexist? They obviously don't give a shit about plot anymore. They should come up with a news premise that doesn't rely on the Damisal in Distress trope.

It is a bit of a shame to see them going back to the damsel in distress well. Both 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker did good work in moving away from that format, and it's a pity that it didn't cross over to Mario Run. Yeah, the article's seriously reaching in a lot of respects, but there's definitely the kernel of a point in there.

This is just another way in which 2D Mario games are suffocating under their own conservatism, really.

This thread was already on gaming and was locked due to people being sexist and stupid.

In the case of Mario & Zelda yeah those games are pretty sexist since Peach & Zelda always have to be saved except in a few occasions.

And let's not forget that the one time she was the star who has to rescue Mario, the game mechanics were centred on power ups and powers via the emotional spectrum :|

It is a Mario game. Thus Mario is the default character (from what I read in thread). You can criticize that from a gameplay/content perspective but calling that sexism is ridiculous.
How so? What was stopping them from providing two playable characters from the outset? I understand these are established characters so it's not as simple as something like Pokemon providing you with an avatar creator, but put yourself in the mindset of a little girl who simply sees yet another mobile game that makes her jump through hoops to play as a character who represents her.

Toad was a freebie for signing up with MyNintendo. They could have just made Peach or Toadette the free character (removing the sign-up part) and made Toad the unlockable. Or include a new character like Rosalina or Nabbit.

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing?

My point was more in how Nintendo is suddenly in popular discussion again, and now people feel the need to call them out on something. Not during the Wii or WiiU generations where we got a smattering of Mario games pushing the same trope.

It's being discussed now because Mario is on an Apple platform and Apple's platform is popular. No one knew the WiiU even existed.

Hermii

There is no doubt that NCL, like all Japanese companies, are still quite ignorant of gender equality issues. After all, Nintendo made one of the most sexist games of all time with Metroid Other M.
That was team ninja. The studio behind such gems as doa extreme.

Nintendo licensing out Metroid to those people however deserves criticism.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Many little girls care when they don't see a women to play as.

We literally had an example of that in this tread...
Did we?
Little girls notice that in mobile games, the female characters are almost always unlocks or behind paywalls. Male is still strongly default for your introduction to games in this space, and Mario Run is no exception. My daughter almost immediately declared Mario Run a bad game and put it down. She might have stuck with it longer with a choice of character from the beginning.
Maybe he talked to his daughter about why she didn't like the game, but he certainly didn't put that conversation in his post. This reads to me like his daughter tried the game, didn't like it and put it down, and he drew his own conclusion that "he might have stuck with it longer [had she been able to play as a female] from the beginning."

Did we?

Maybe he talked to his daughter about why she didn't like the game, but he certainly didn't put that conversation in his post. This reads to me like his daughter tried the game, didn't like it and put it down, and he drew his own conclusion that "he might have stuck with it longer [had she been able to play as a female] from the beginning."

Keep pretending little girls don't notice a lack of representation if you want...

Nintendo is behind on so many things. They are terrified to change the formula in their games, it is a miracle that we have even got a couple mobile games from them

There are princess peach games as well. I don't see why a "Mario" game would have someone else as the main character.

I mean she is playable in this game eventually, never said main character. Just selectable from the start...

And there's like one major Peach game... and it sucked and has it's own issues.

Diablos

I'm sorry but 2016-2017 is a time when we should have far greater concerns than if a Mario game on your phone is considered to be sexist. Pretty sure you can unlock other characters too.

Hopefully this person has never seen Cindy from FFXV...

RenditMan

Banned
Keep pretending little girls don't notice a lack of representation if you want...

They don't, unless they are told to notice it. Simple as that.

I've got twins, a boy and a girl. There's always been a selection of girl and boy focused toys in my house, they both play with whatever their imagination wants them to with very little thought for anything else.

I can see as a parent of a singleton that you may feel slighted against your child, but the suggestion that a girl should expect to play as a girl actually goes against the concept of gender equality.

dani_dc

That was team ninja. The studio behind such gems as doa extreme.

Nintendo licensing out Metroid to those people however deserves criticism.

The sexism was all on Nintendo part, particularly by Yoshio Sakamoto who directed and wrote the game, there are plenty of interviews that point the game issues to him.

Team Ninja other games have their own issues, but let's blame them for things that aren't their fault.

Nintendo itself provides anyone with alternative games if one doesn't like the formula or basic plot in the Mario main series or Zelda.

Calling Mario sexist is so missing the point about media portrayels that it isn't even funny anymore.

Azoor

I'm sorry but 2016-2017 is a time when we should have far greater concerns than if a Mario game on your phone is considered to be sexist. Pretty sure you can unlock other characters too.

Or Quiet from MGSV.

So this is a thing?

Someone won't let a girl play the game because the fictional characters aren't doing what they want? And is upset enough about it to write an article?

ItIsOkBro

I've got twins, a boy and a girl. There's always been a selection of girl and boy focused toys in my house, they both play with whatever their imagination wants them to with very little thought for anything else.

I can see as a parent of a singleton that you may feel slighted against your child, but the suggestion that a girl should expect to play as a girl actually goes against the concept of gender equality.
And what do you think made those toys 'girl' focused and 'boy' focused?

JordanN

Banned
Kids don't give a shit about this stuff unless they are told to give a shit about it.

Some parents can't just let their kids be kids I guess.

Let their imagination flow, the serious stuff that their minds will have to process is for another day which unfortunately is not that far away.

This post reminds me of this comic.

Just because kids don't care, doesn't mean society is absolved of responsibility.

ovsYAVF.gif

Wait, there's more than 1 game? Genuinely curious, because all I know of is the shitty Super Princess Peach one lol

No there isn't to my knowledge.

Seriously?

We can talk about all sorts of things.

nkarafo

But it's just tradition! lol

Nintendo needs to update their games socially, even Pokemon has done it. The only time their female characters seem to shine are in off shoot mini game collection or sports games.
No they don't need to do anything. They need to do whatever they want. And whoever likes their games can buy them. Not everything should be for everyone's tastes.

Also, Metroid.

LotusHD

Banned

Not that I'm taking sides or anything (I mean Toadette, really?), but I've always disliked when people would retort to saying that there are greater concerns, that there is more important stuff to worry about as a response to people complaining about this or that. Just because it's a video game doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. Furthermore, people are capable of being concerned about more than one thing. It's called multitasking.

I can worry about shit like Trump or ISIS, and also take into account what the author wrote in his article, or just sexism in gaming generally speaking.

And as for Cindy, yes there's always more overt examples of sexism and/or nonsense design, but that doesn't mean one can't also criticize the "smaller" examples as well.

MrBadger

I'm sorry but 2016-2017 is a time when we should have far greater concerns than if a Mario game on your phone is considered to be sexist.

If we shouldn't discuss things because more important things also exist, we might as well shut down all of gaming side. More important things to discuss than videogames

People have the ability to focus on more than one thing.

Also, Metroid.

counterpoint - every recent Metroid game

Reminds me of that Martin Luther King text about the moderate white.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Those people would probably not like my nieces who who only want to play with dolls and dress like princesses.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Or Quiet from MGSV.
Lol was just thinking that.

I guess I don't understand the call to arms being necessary. It's a short little iPhone game. It's not the job of video games (or movies or television) to push socially progressive agendas just for the sake of doing so. It's their job to be entertaining first and foremost.

But that's beside the obvious complaint I suppose which is that if you're looking to a cell phone game to teach a kid gender politics then maybe you need to do a bit more parenting and actually teach your kids HOW to think rather than just what to think.

What?

So wanting female representation is anti-equality now?

Also I've never had my nonexistent kids and assumptions made about my non-existent status as parent insulted before so hey thanks or something new.

I don't think it's really a big deal, it's just Mario. Maybe next time introduce Mario & Luigi's long lost sister, have Luigi get kidnapped and they're rescuing him, no one can complain then.

Dalibor68

Banned
How so? What was stopping them from providing two playable characters from the outset? I understand these are established characters so it's not as simple as something like Pokemon providing you with an avatar creator, but put yourself in the mindset of a little girl who simply sees yet another mobile game that makes her jump through hoops to play as a character who represents her.

Toad was a freebie for signing up with MyNintendo. They could have just made Peach or Toadette the free character (removing the sign-up part) and made Toad the unlockable. Or include a new character like Rosalina or Nabbit.

Again. It is a MARIO game. The game is called Super Mario Run. That's like saying "Wtf, why does Tomb Raider not feature Jonah as a playable character?" or "Wtf, why does UC4 not feature Elena as playable character?".

RenditMan

Banned
And what do you think made those toys 'girl' focused and 'boy' focused?

The parents.

My lad will happily play with a doll and my daughter with a tonka truck.

Both couldn't care less. Saying that even though they can pick what they want to play with they do naturally get drawn to the stuff that you'd expect them to.

Again. It is a MARIO game. The game is called Super Mario Run. That's like saying "Wtf, why does Tomb Raider not feature Jonah as a playable character?" or "Wtf, why does UC4 not feature Elena as playable character?".
No one's arguing for Tomb Raider to have a male playable character because there are already a million games out there that feature male playable characters. You're putting these games in a vacuum and ignoring the broader argument for more representation in gaming as a whole. If Mario was the only game out of hundreds to only feature a male playable character from the outset, people wouldn't be complaining nearly as much. The fact is, Mario having any female playable characters at all is a significant step above many other games, even if they're put behind unlock requirements.

I'd also suggest it's much easier for a game like Super Mario Run to accommodate female players than something as narratively rigid as Uncharted. What changes Mario Run by allowing Peach to be playable? Just say Bowser kidnapped one of the Toads or something.

Alienfan

Man some of these posts are disheartening
Graphical, sound and story criticisms are fair game, but as soon as you point sexist undertones in a game or anything relating to gender or minority representation, suddenly the artistic integrity arguments come out.

Azoor

Lol was just thinking that.

I guess I don't understand the call to arms being necessary. It's a short little iPhone game. It's not the job of video games (or movies or television) to push socially progressive agendas just for the sake of doing so. It's their job to be entertaining first and foremost.

But that's beside the obvious complaint I suppose which is that if you're looking to a cell phone game to teach a kid gender politics then maybe you need to do a bit more parenting and actually teach your kids HOW to think rather than just what to think.

I have no problem discussing this issue even if it is admittedly a small one, but I don't think it's a huge deal as some think it is.

Boney

Banned
I don't think there's a dissonance or contradiction with gender representation when it strips it down to such basic elements like Mario does. Women as trophy becomes more problematic when there's more characterization introduced to it's trope without being critical or conscious for it. There's a certain innocence to how Mario and Peach relate to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom