• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine....Gaf opinion!

Myriadis

Really good game but overall the weakest 3D Mario. I like it that it's a bit more on the open side and the theme is unique. It also has by far the best hub of all Mario games.
It lacks in good mission design, and considering it revolves all around the missions that is a problem. The problematic blue coins also show that they had a tight deadline. A remaster that reinserts the lost four levels and improves and polishes what we have would be a nice idea.

HyGogg

Banned
I got it bundled with my GameCube, and it's the only game I ever traded in to Gamestop because I didn't like it. I used the credit to buy Super Monkey Ball, which I liked a lot more.

It's been a long time, and admittedly my tastes have probably evolved to be a little more tolerant of the slower pace and more open levels than I was then, so I might be more forgiving if I revisited it, but I really just found it boring.

The boss fights were memorable, but even those seemed to lean on a sense of scale to make them impressive. I've always considered it the worst game in the mainline console Mario series. It wasn't particularly fresh or innovative either, and I also thought it wasn't as good as other platformers that were out at the time -- although this is also how I feel about Super Mario World, which was an 8-bit paint-by-number sequel with slipshod level design in a post-Sonic world. Both of those titles were also followed by my favorites (Yoshi's Island and Galaxy), so Nintendo's mistakes didn't last long.
GCN seemed to be the time when Nintendo experimented. See sunshine, wind waker, Kirby air ride... Maybe that's why people hate on sunshine. But personally I think it's a great entry.
Not experimental enough. It was more or less Mario 64 if they suddenly had the launch date moved up a year and cut half the content and padded it out by making you play the same levels over and over again.

Krakatoa

Its one Mario game I never finished. I enjoyed the settings but for some reason I moved onto other games before completing it. I'm hoping a remaster comes to the switch.

HyGogg

Banned
It's obviously very rushed, but it might have the best movement of any Mario game and there's some really unique ideas in there like all Mario games.
Yes, rushed is a good description. There are certain mario games that are clearly pushed out quickly (Japanese SMB2, SMW, and SMS. Super Mario Land, too, if you count that). These games are pretty lean on innovation, strongly resemble their precursors, and don't have the same level of polish to their level design. They're not bad games, but they aren't as good as the ones before or after them.

Honestly I thought it sucked, and this is from vivid memory as I haven't played it since I had it on my Gamecube in 2003. It just didn't feel very Nintendo at all - if you took away the art.

The level design was really poor, the controls clunky, and I didn't like the overworld at all.I remember it being more frustrating than enjoyable, with a sense that if you died, it was sometimes the game's fault rather than your own - something that isn't very Nintendo-like at all either. I've no desire to return to it. Conversely however, I also have vivid memories of Monkey Ball and Eternal Darkness from the same time, and I'd love to jump back in on those.

Rudolf

Neo Member
you're clearly not realizing that i was simply explaining you, and everyone else reading it, how yoshi's "spin jump" actually works in sunshine. I wasn't doing any mental gimnastics or anything, maybe you read my comment with the wrong mindset?

And, either way, if you want to ignore the whole explanation i wrote (which was the valuable part of the post), and only take the last phrase at face value, it's still true. Yoshi's spin jump wasn't the higherst and longest jump in the game, like you previously said. That's just how it is. I was simply informing people how it actually worked, because you can actually use the second part of what you call the "spin jump", with both your regular jump and double jump, like i explained in my previous post.

If the player does not realize that yoshi's "spin jump" is actually two separated actions, they will only use the second part when doing a spin jump (as it happens automatically). However, if they are aware of it being two different actions, they can also use the second one to further extend their regular or double jumps.

Way to downplay my comment lol

I've read again your initial post : sorry, I realized I couldn't understand some things, because you were explaining something very "technical" (so it's difficult for me, English isn't my native language) and something I didn't know at all. It was just a misunderstanding. ^^

Indeed, I didn't know you could perform a "spin" while falling with Mario or Yoshi : I learned something by reading you.

So, as you talked about it, I only considered the spin jump when it's done directly from the ground, because I didn't know you could spin while falling. And I forgot Yoshi can do double or triple jump.

But it isn't so important : my initial point is that Yoshi can jump higher and longer than Mario with FLUDD. At first, I was only reacting to someone saying that you can't reach the half of the platforms with Yoshi contrary to Mario with FLUDD, whereas it's wrong. ^^

again, the difference being that, in sunshine, the "flow" takes a much harder hit, compared to the other games, because sunshine had much bigger levels and was more centered in player control, which was why mario has way more moves and was much more mobile in sunshine, compared to a 3D mario like galaxy 2, yet he loses all those very much needed moves when picking up yoshi.

Also, bringing up galaxy 2 only helps my case, because it shows the contrast between, all the ulitily tied to yoshi in galaxy 2 (yoshi's transformations, etc...) vs yoshi pretty much not adding anything at all in sunshine. That's regarding adding stuff. If we compare how much yoshi takes away from mario, it's much more significant in sunshine, which is why it affect the "flow" negatively. More specifically, it slows down the gameplay.

and, in your previous post, you left part of my previous post, that i think you forgot to remove? (it's quoted improperly)

I can't tell you the contrary, I agree : Yoshi is funnier to control in Super Mario Galaxy 2 than in Super Mario Sunshine, but it wasn't my point. Because Yoshi is better in Galaxy 2 doesn't mean that the "flow" is better than with Mario and it isn't the case : Mario's flow IS better without Yoshi than with Yoshi (even in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario World).

ec0ec0

I've read again your initial post : sorry, I realized I couldn't understand some things, because you were explaining something very "technical" (so it's difficult for me, English isn't my native language) and something I didn't know at all. It was just a misunderstanding. ^^

Indeed, I didn't know you could perform a "spin" while falling with Mario or Yoshi : I learned something by reading you.

So, as you talked about it, I only considered the spin jump when it's done directly from the ground, because I didn't know you could spin while falling. And I forgot Yoshi can do double or triple jump.

But it isn't so important : my initial point is that Yoshi can jump higher and longer than Mario with FLUDD. At first, I was only reacting to someone saying that you can't reach the half of the platforms with Yoshi contrary to Mario with FLUDD, whereas it's wrong. ^^

It's fine haha

I explained yoshi because there's people, like you, who actually like him (you're not the first i find in gaf :p)

And, by the way, the spin in mid air, has other uses with mario too, but there's no point in looking into that, unless you are actually interested in play sunshine in the future.

Rudolf

Neo Member
And, by the way, the spin in mid air, has other uses with mario too, but there's no point in looking into that, unless you are actually interested in play sunshine in the future.

You can tell me, I'm interested. I played this game again this evening and I could see you can jump a little further if you perform a spin during a normal or a double jump.

In fact, it was I who "exhumed" this thread, because I finished again this game with 120 Shines yesterday. So I'm still in the "mood" to play it a little more, before I play something else. ^^

Myriadis

Controversial opinion time: I actually like Billy Hatcher better than Mario Sunshine.

I need to play Billy Hatcher first. Always wanted to play that one, maybe I'll find a copy.
What I can definitely say is that the first Jak and Daxter is better than Super Mario Sunshine. But then again I consider it one of the finest 3D platformers ever created.

Luigiv

30fps, unplayable trash.

/s

But seriously it was a shame the team weren't able to hit 60fps like they originally planned.

Rudolf

Neo Member
I need to play Billy Hatcher first. Always wanted to play that one, maybe I'll find a copy.
What I can definitely say is that the first Jak and Daxter is better than Super Mario Sunshine. But then again I consider it one of the finest 3D platformers ever created.

I was very disappointed by the first Jak & Daxter. Ok, the atmosphere is nice, but the stages are too linear, we are very, very, very far from the freedom we can find in Super Mario Sunshine. I don't really like the controls in this game (very far from a Mario game), especially the double jump which "breaks" the momentum of the first jump : I never liked that in platformers. Super Mario Sunshine's controls are far better for its possibilities and its great pleasure.

Besides, when I discovered Jak & Daxter, I already knew Banjo-Tooie, which is definitely far better with its "Metroidvania" feeling and interaction with the environment. So I never felt that the levels in Jak & Daxter were "interconnected" and dependent as in Banjo-Tooie, but on the contrary these levels just come one after another through a straight "road". There are so much better PS2 platformers at that time, like the three Sly Raccoon or Kya Dark Lineage (which is more inventive than Jak & Daxter in its platform aspect and level-design).

Jak & Daxter remains a decent game though.

jg4xchamp

It's the weakest of the mainline Marios overall for me, but it's a good game. I'd certainly take Sunshine over some of the paint by the numbers, uncreative stuff we get from other franchises (Nintendo or otherwise).

ec0ec0

You can tell me, I'm interested. I played this game again this evening and I could see you can jump a little further if you perform a spin during a normal or a double jump.

In fact, it was I who "exhumed" this thread, because I finished again this game with 120 Shines yesterday. So I'm still in the "mood" to play it a little more, before I play something else. ^^

i sent you a pm, in case you didn't realize it. Happy playing.

ajjow

It starts pretty well, but goes down the hill from the ghost house and on... bad game design, bad story, bad collecting things... a so so game.

I always try tomrestart the game, find the first levels great, but when you keep plYing, it goes down the hill pretty horribly.

They destroyed Yoshi's control.

Eidan

I just watched that hour long YouTube video about speed running Sunshine, and all it did was remind me of how boring it was. The environments are repetitive in terms of aesthetics, FLUDD simply isn’t a fun or interesting power-up/addition, and even the music is obnoxious.

_Rob_

I just watched that hour long YouTube video about speed running Sunshine, and all it did was remind me of how boring it was. The environments are repetitive in terms of aesthetics, FLUDD simply isn’t a fun or interesting power-up/addition, and even the music is obnoxious.

This game really is fascinating, the way it divides opinion is like no other I can think of. I feel almost the complete opposite about it.

Pizza

One of the worst mario games, maaaaybe the worst 3D Mario game (I like it's weird shit more than galaxy's more linear levels honestly)

BUT that's not saying much when you consider how GOOD every mario game is. It's a great game.

I sincerely love it and it's worth going in and just doing it for yourself if you never have. It's weird as shit, a direct sequel to mario 64 from the era where Nintendo was lowkey making an interconnected mario universe, and has some cool mechanics that literally no other 3D platformer really has

elhav

It's amazing how our tastes are complete opposites. I find the environments varied. it's a summer holiday themed island, so obviously the aesthetics feel repetitive somewhat, but the level design itself always felt original in my opinion. I also think the music was great, and the FLUDD a refreshing addition that was a lot of fun to play with.

GeekyDad

Thought it was great. Loved the vibe, and especially the music. It is quite a departure in many ways, but I mean, isn't that a good thing sometimes? It was very playful, full of fun secrets, seemingly endless, introduces some very lovable denizens, as well as fun, skill-based mechanics. It also looked great for its time. Excellent game, Mario or otherwise.

Not much to say on the whole, but it was my first Mario game.

I spent two weeks running around Delphino plaza without releasing you actually had to jump into the M's to get into levels, wondering what obvious thing I was missing. It was not made clear -.-

sjay1994

Love it.

Flood is the best companion.

Hydro booster was just so much fun to use.

I will never understand the amount of disdain Sunshine gets from people.

Better than 64. 64 is fun but it hasn't aged well. The camera is ridiculously annoying and you can beat most of the missions in each area in minutes. Sunshine makes better use of its areas and controls better, not to mention the camera is a vast improvement. That's not to say it's perfect as as it only has like 7 areas and the blue coins kinda suck. You'll have way more fun if you don't go out of your way to get every single blue coin. It should definitely get a remake that implements more missions and the cut content like the train system or cut areas. And less awful blue coin shenanigans.

jwhit28

I loved the setting and most of the ideas, but it felt half-baked much like Wind Waker. Some of the Shines felt like Nintendo scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas just to pad out the game. I'm sure it had to do with the rest of the unnecessary padding that went on that generation because of the focus on gameplay hours by reviewers. It's the complete opposite of Galaxy where they had so many great ideas they put together a direct sequel that still felt fresh.

Jagsrock

Banned
Sunshine did a lot of things right, it had really big open levels, a fun hub world, cool moveset and it was graphically pretty good. But It did have odd jank issues you wouldn't really expect from a mainline Mario title. The ending also just seemed unfinished and rushed. Blue coines were a bore and despite fludd being cool, the stages where he gets stripped away from you sometimes make you wish the whole game was like this. The pure platforming in those stages is devine. Overall though I like sunshine for what it did right more than what it did wrong.Its a unique entry in the series that in my opinion made the GameCube even more special.

Loved the setting, loved the graphics, control was ok. My only problems were the camera and tbh, I would've flipped the amount of FLUDD levels and the 'normal' levels.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
It was fine.... it was also probably the weakest of the 3D Marios.

It falls into the trap of B list Mario and Zelda titles, where even though the game is probably an 8/10 even in hindsight, it gets shit on endlessly because it falls short of instant cult-classic status since the rest of the series is so highly thought of. Skyward Sword is the same way. It's still better then the majority of games from that era.

jsnepo

I've finished Mario 64 years ago and I'm doing a replay these past few days. In between play sessions, I try to play Mario Sunshine.

I don't get the hate Mario Sunshine gets. The camera is equally bad in both games.

1morerobot

Love it. Looooove it. I remember playing for like 8 hours straight on launch day. There is so much you can do with FLUDD combined with wall jumps and Mario's other moves. Just running and jumping around and seeing if I can get to the top of this or that was just a blast.

1morerobot

I just wanted to say the soundtrack in this game is absolutely underrated.

Sky and Sea:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TR7PD2rYX5k

Hotel Delfino:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdRcUC94io

Secret Course:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JF522Q4k9t8

Bianco Hills:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwStiYf-RUE

Delfino Airstrip:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NOhJUEe6L4

Corona Mountain:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bK1VGgf4xuM

So good.

This is so true. The soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites.

Sky Walker

It is a good platformer game or even a Mario game but can't come close to the best of the entry. I couldn't beat it, playing it after Mario Galaxy for the first time is not a good idea.

Top Bottom