• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine....Gaf opinion!

Kurt

it's the first 3d mario game you need to play.
From then on, it gets much better and better. (mario 3D world, mario 64, galaxy 1 & 2)
And of course oddessey (save the best for last)

BlackTron

I beat the game back on GC but never felt very compelled to go back. I wasn't crazy about FLUDD and thought they just added blue coins until they were at 120 stars so nobody could say it has "less stars than Mario 64". I never finished getting all those damn coins. The water graphics were great, but that was bitersweet too because the swimming controls were terrible. Overall it's a fine game with many good qualities that fails to live up to the level of polish you usually expect from Mario.

The warp pipe levels were AWESOME though, can I get a game of just those??

Really great game, but admittedly lesser than 64/Odyssey/Galaxy.

It has some flaws, like bad camera issues in the climbing theme park level, but the hyperbolic criticisms of it being complete trash are disproportionate and irrational.

I loved soaring high above Noki bay and spraying the ground in front of me and then sliding on my belly through Delfino Plaza.

The "Praise the Sun" emoticon can double as a "Shine Get!" Emoticon in this undead thread.

iconmaster

Banned
If it were a mascot 3D platformer from any other franchise, it’d probably be regarded as pretty decent. But when compared to games like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy it’s unfocused and strangely cloying.

I tend to assume those who remember it fondly played it in their childhoods, much the way I still think of White Castle as a reasonable place to pick up dinner.

Mistake

This reminded me that I never got all the coins in the wiggler beach stage, with the square watermelons. There is one (blue?) at the top of the level above the watermelon hut. Tell me gaf, it’s been over a decade lol

dust bunny

I was home with a flu when I played it way back. Not recommended. My memory of it is fuzzy and disjointed and I largely associate it with feeling like shit.

trikster40

One of my favorite Mario’s. Better than Odyssey and Galaxy to me. If there were a generation between 64 and Sunshine, it may have fared better.

Without Sunshine, I don’t think there’s even be a Galaxy or Odyssey. It gave Nintendo the guts to try new things with the plumber.

Last edited:

Zelent

One of my favorite Mario’s. Better than Odyssey and Galaxy to me. If there were a generation between 64 and Sunshine, it may have dates better.

Without Sunshine, I don’t think there’s even be a Galaxy or Odyssey. It gave Nintendo the guts to try new things with the plumber.

Yep, Sunshine is easily above those games for me as well. I would say it's even better than Mario 64 if you exclude nostalgia.

Sunshine is charming, whimsical, and challenging. It's also beautiful, with an art-style that holds up even today.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
great stuff. i'd put it below all the other 3D games just because it has the least amount of levels & environmental variety, but it's still amazing. worthy follow up to 64. i really like how many Sunshine nods there are in Odyssey. something i never realized until i played through it for the first time this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom