• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Wonder Metascore prediction

Mario Wonder’s average score will be

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakeOf9

Mario Wonder is almost here. Interesting to see a full on AAA 2D game, it looks very cool and like the 3D Mario games we’ve gotten in the last few years.

What score do you think the game will get?

Cashon

Banned
It'll be between 85-89. Reviews will state that it mostly feels like a New Super Mario Bros. game, just without a timer and with a slightly upgraded look.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Pow Reaction GIF

I haven't watched much footage of the game, but I've not played a main-line Mario game that I've outright hated by any means, I think it's a safe bet that it'll get 89+ from most places.

StueyDuck

I fell like because it's more 2d Mario and doesn't really do a whole lot that is dramatically new it's just gonna dip below 90 overall and end up at an 88-89

The game will be great but we've definitely been satiated with "classic" finish line Mario games on the switch

Last edited:
I mean it's not even really a question, right? It's gonna be an 8-9 range game. It's Mario, it's clearly very good, but it's 2D so it's the lesser of the two styles of Mario.

Impotaku

Have a feeling a lot of salty edgelords & attention whoring review sites will rag on it for drama/clicks, pulling the score down. So if it's over 80 it'll be doing well.

92. People will call it the best 2D platformer since Super Mario World 2. Believe.
I saw that comparison to Yoshi's Island, as well. Man, that hits hard. You compare a game to Yoshi's Island you better bring the goods, because that game is like GOAT-tier quality. That kind of comparison is tricky because it sends expectations through the roof, and if Wonder isn't as great as that game it may suffer as a result. If I were making a 2D platformer I would not want to be graded against Yoshi's Island.

Quite honestly, I'd rather be graded against SMW or SMB3.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll guess 85-89 just going by the latest 2D entries.

This looks sooooo much better than those though, so I’m hoping it’ll turn out as good as it looks.

Have a feeling a lot of salty edgelords & attention whoring review sites will rag on it for drama/clicks, pulling the score down. So if it's over 80 it'll be doing well.
I'm actually a little down on it, myself. Once I saw that they took away the specialized trademark movement that Luigi had and everyone's just the same to control now? To me, that sucks. What does it even matter what character I pick now, it's just a matter of being a costume vs being an actual character. That was really disappointing to me. I am assuming the level design and new ideas put the game over the top, but stripping out individualized character movements sucks hard, imho.

Last edited:

Bridges

It'll be between 85-89. Reviews will state that it mostly feels like a New Super Mario Bros. game, just without a timer and with a slightly upgraded look.
There's no timer 🤯 Absolutely incredible

I'm actually a little down on it, myself. Once I saw that they took away the specialized trademark movement that Luigi had and everyone's just the same to control now? To me, that sucks. What does it even matter what character I pick now, it's just a matter of being a costume vs being an actual character. That was really disappointing to me. I am assuming the level design and new ideas put the game over the top, but stripping out individualized character movements sucks hard, imho.
While I agree that individual abilities would be preferable, there hasn't been a 2D Mario that did that since Super Mario Bros. 2 USA/Doki Doki Panic. New Super Luigi U had Luigi's movement but it was applied to all characters. I do wish they would've gone the 3D World route again though

I don't think nintendo can make a mario or zelda game that won't get atleast a 90. Thats essentially the starting point reviewers go into it with.

DrFigs

It looks like a 80. it looks unimpressive and critics weren't too hot on the last mario golf game. But being a typical platformer might give it a boost.

Disco Dave

Storytelling that seems ancient next to Cyberpunk 2077 combined with no option to identify as a toaster and a kid friendly environment with zero attempts at grooming?

2/10. Get with the times Nintendo.

Last edited:
There's no timer 🤯 Absolutely incredible

While I agree that individual abilities would be preferable, there hasn't been a 2D Mario that did that since Super Mario Bros. 2 USA/Doki Doki Panic. New Super Luigi U had Luigi's movement but it was applied to all characters. I do wish they would've gone the 3D World route again though

Hmmm I don’t think that’s true. Luigi could jump higher and was slippery in every NSMB game. And the Toads could jump higher, as well if I recall. Peach can float, etc. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s always been my understanding 🤷‍♂️.

Hence why they had to go out of their way to let people know that Luigi no longer controls differently in Wonder, because people would naturally expect it.

Muffdraul

I guess I let my personal bias get in the way, I voted 85-89.

Ironically, Super Mario World is literally the reason I'm on this message board today, it's the reason I became a born again gamer right after finishing college, after losing all interest in them pretty much the day after I hit puberty. But after Mario went 3D, I never had any desire to go back to old fashioned 2D shit. I always buy them, whatever NSMB game comes out or whatever, but I just fart around for a few levels and get bored and never touch them again.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I fell like because it's more 2d Mario and doesn't really do a whole lot that is dramatically new it's just gonna dip below 90 overall and end up at an 88-89

The game will be great but we've definitely been satiated with "classic" finish line Mario games on the switch

I'm not even satisfied with classic finish line Mario games in life nevermind on Switch, having old Mario games on a sub service does nothing to take from how badly this game was needed

Top Bottom