• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U: More evidences to support DLC Store and Connectivity

Foffy

Banned
I hate to break people's hearts here. There is no way that Waluigi will ever become playable character for Smash 4.

He's just a terrible choice of playable character that people kept gushing for.

We'll probably get Spike from Wrecking Crew before Waluigi as a playable character.

And rightfully so. Walugi is a D-tier Mario character.

Clefargle

Mewtwo > Snake > Ridley > Bayonetta > Midna > Roy > Metalface > Spike > Diskun >Daisy > Baby Mario/ Luigi/ Peach/ Daisy >>>>> Waluigi

wiibomb

Remember this picture.

hyuGj2v.png
q9NYd0L.png

Yeah, it's the motivation that kept people going on to find more information in the data. People kept searching for more hints so they found some information so PushDustin found something in Smash 3DS data. I'm going to copy and paste the content that was posted in other forum.

sorry for asking, but what exactly is this picture? why is it the motivation?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
like duck hunt amirite?

Honestly, I thought they had nearly Bo chance to be in the game as playable character. I would pegged them as assist trophies.

Anyway, using duck hunt counter my point about Waluigi don't make a sense since he's a filler character in his series and he's an assist trophy in this game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
sorry for asking, but what exactly is this picture? why is it the motivation?

It's a page buttons for stage selection and character selection. It might be a part of old design or could be used for DLC stages and characters if they are out of space.

Neoxon

A shame there was only 1 Sega slot, otherwise I'd support Bayonetta to the moon
river
& back.

Still, I expected DLC anyway, but it's nice to see more concrete evidence.

3bdelilah

Banned
Stages should be free DLC, and character's paid. Nearly everyone will buy the characters regardless, but this way there's no split queues online based on who has what DLC for the few who can't afford/don't want .

I meant packs with both characters and stages combined (like Mario Kart 8), because I don't think I'd buy a DLC pack with just new stages. I'll most likely just mess with the stock stages for a month or three and then pretty much stick with Final Destination as I did with Brawl. But character packs (with new move sets, NO clones), yeah I definitely see me buying them if they seem considerably fresh and different enough. Stages included are just icing on the cake for me. :)

nerdbot

I don't think there's going to be any new characters on the Wii U, but I do think it might sync some unlock data or even sync DLC character purchases between the two games.

The "Challenger Approaching!" message could just be a cutesy way of saying you successfully connected to the Wii U.

DLC will definitely happen but it's going to be later than sooner.

I'm PushDustIn at SmashBoards and Kooloo_Limpah at reddit (see previous posts for proof).

First off, the [information comes from this thread on SmashBoards (requires membership to view, sorry).

Most of this information was compiled used Kaphotic's text dumps. Textures come from SciresM, who along with Kaphotic are doing the Pokemon remake file dumps (Lots of great information there, check them out!)

First off: DLC is 100% possible. We found in-game text which confirms this in the random stage selection menu. Furthermore those arrows have preview icons in the stage-select screen.

DLC store is 100% true, and will be in the game. Based off of the texture dumps, I believe it'll appear on the main menu under the "Notification Shop" in English (”しらせショップ). The logo could possibly be a Nintendo network logo.

Share is a currently unused menu in the Internet settings where users can upload and download Mii Fighters, and Snapshots (Text was found for Japanese and English).

The 3DS can be used as a controller for 8 player Smash in the Wii U version. This is why 1-8P was found in 3DS version. I've come to this conclusion as the 1-8P icons share the same general name as other Wii U connection images.

When the game displays "A Challenger Appears" under normal unlocking conditions, it is animated. Thus the text string "A Challenger Appears" must be used for different conditions.

Ridley, Metal Face and Nabbit may have some files in the 3DS version, as boss characters.

Unova Pokemon League is titled "Plasma" in the code, probably as a reference to Team Plasma.

There are no extra fighter data as far as anyone can tell. Ice Climbers chant was accidentally left in the Japanese version.

For information about the translation of various unused audios check, that will probably be in the Wii U version out the Google Doc NeoGafers helped me translate it.

I think that's it. Let me know if you have particular questions and I'll try to answer them when I get back.

I hate to break people's hearts here. There is no way that Waluigi will ever become playable character for Smash 4.

He's just a terrible choice of playable character that people kept gushing for.

I'd be shocked if he isn't playable in the next Smash or 2. He makes way too much sense as a playable character.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'd be shocked if he isn't playable in the next Smash or 2. He makes way too much sense as a playable character.

Not really. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are the main characters of the franchise. Yoshi, Wario, Dr. Mario and DK each have their own franchises, and DK's is big enough to have its own second rep in Diddy. Rosalina & Luma represent the Galaxy games while Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids represent the NSMB series. Waluigi would have to represent spin-offs, which already seem fairly well represented by Peach's side smash and Bowser Jr.'s side b. I feel like Paper Mario would get in before Waluigi.

Hello.

Banned
I want someone to correct me here, but would the characters really be all that big? Game's 1.1 GB, there's 48 characters plus Miis. I'm just rounding here so I'll go with 48. 1,1 GB/48~=23 MB. Multiple that by 4 and you have ~92 MB. That doesn't seem like all that much data.
Not really. Each character in Brawl (just trying to remember here) average around 10 MB ~ 15 MB each, possibly even less. The HD textures probably add a bit more to that in Smash 4 but not too much. Brawl's size was so big because of all the music which totaled around 1 GB or more, and the SSE's movie files.

Hatchtag

Banned
Question: What is the fascination with Mewtwo?

First uber legendary. Has two mega evolutions and was the first ever to be shown. Has received lots of love in just about every gen. Easily one of the most popular Pokemon of all time. Has already had a moveset in Smash. Is the closest non-human Pokemon character to being a villain. Is just generally fucking cool and deserves to be back in Smash.

Neiteio

I'm PushDustIn at SmashBoards and Kooloo_Limpah at reddit (see previous posts for proof).

First off, the [information comes from this thread on SmashBoards (requires membership to view, sorry).

Most of this information was compiled used Kaphotic's text dumps. Textures come from SciresM, who along with Kaphotic are doing the Pokemon remake file dumps (Lots of great information there, check them out!)

First off: DLC is 100% possible. We found in-game text which confirms this in the random stage selection menu. Furthermore those arrows have preview icons in the stage-select screen.

DLC store is 100% true, and will be in the game. Based off of the texture dumps, I believe it'll appear on the main menu under the "Notification Shop" in English (”しらせショップ). The logo could possibly be a Nintendo network logo.

Share is a currently unused menu in the Internet settings where users can upload and download Mii Fighters, and Snapshots (Text was found for Japanese and English).

The 3DS can be used as a controller for 8 player Smash in the Wii U version. This is why 1-8P was found in 3DS version. I've come to this conclusion as the 1-8P icons share the same general name as other Wii U connection images.

When the game displays "A Challenger Appears" under normal unlocking conditions, it is animated. Thus the text string "A Challenger Appears" must be used for different conditions.

Ridley, Metal Face and Nabbit may have some files in the 3DS version, as boss characters.

Unova Pokemon League is titled "Plasma" in the code, probably as a reference to Team Plasma.

There are no extra fighter data as far as anyone can tell. Ice Climbers chant was accidentally left in the Japanese version.

For information about the translation of various unused audios check, that will probably be in the Wii U version out the Google Doc NeoGafers helped me translate it.

I think that's it. Let me know if you have particular questions and I'll try to answer them when I get back.
Excellent. Man, I'm SO EXCITED for 8-player Smash. Probably the No. 1 thing I want confirmed this Thursday.

Bluth54

I want someone to correct me here, but would the characters really be all that big? Game's 1.1 GB, there's 48 characters plus Miis. I'm just rounding here so I'll go with 48. 1,1 GB/48~=23 MB. Multiple that by 4 and you have ~92 MB. That doesn't seem like all that much data.

You do know there is other data in the game besides the characters right?

Drago

All I really want is for Lucas and Wolf to come back. Two of my favorite Brawl characters (with Lucas also repping my favorite game of all time) so their removal cuts deep. I really just want them back in. I don't even care if we don't get any newcomer DLC, I'd rather they be kept for new games anyways, but that's just me. I'd still accept it with open arms. :p

Only character that I really want playable in Smash that isn't yet is Chibi-Robo but I don't like getting my hopes up for him cause I don't think he has any real chance of inclusion. I kinda have no expectations or hopes for DLC as far as potential newcomers go honestly, I'd take pretty much anyone.

Data for these characters exists in the 3DS version?

Models of these characters may exist. Models haven't been ripped from the game, as they are using a different file type. All the textures are out there, which is how I connected the 8 player Smash to the Wii U connectivity.

The model data comes from Kaphotics file dump information, who is the main source behind all the new Pokemon stuff.

EulaCapra

8-Player Smash and Yellow Team... hold me!

Can you imagine if all 8 players started out as Rosalina's and the default yellow Luma?

Ryce

Even if Spainkiller's source is wrong, those four characters make for a nice set of DLC.

Mewtwo - the most requested veteran
Ridley - the most requested newcomer
Dixie Kong - popular, adds DK representation, adds female representation
Chorus Kids - reps a new series, Sakurai's trademark quirky/WTF character

If you're a Nintendo fan, at least one of those characters probably appeals to you. There's something for everyone.

Hatchtag

Banned
Even if Spainkiller's source is wrong, those four characters make for a nice set of DLC.

If you're a Nintendo fan, at least one of those characters probably appeals to you. There's something for everyone.

I feel like Dixie works better as the most requested clone. I just don't see her being that far removed from Diddy, especially if Sakurai flat out planned on her being a tag team with Diddy in Brawl (implying he had came up with a very similar moveset to Diddy's for her).

Raw64life

Inevitable but disappointing nonetheless. Hoping by some miracle that DLC can be unlocked just by having both versions and playing the shit out of them.

Azuran

Banned

Replace Mewtwo with someone cool like Sceptile and we're talking because the other three characters don't appeal to me whatsoever. I also want Impa instead.

Ryce

I feel like Dixie works better as the most requested clone. I just don't see her being that far removed from Diddy, especially if Sakurai flat out planned on her being a tag team with Diddy in Brawl (implying he had came up with a very similar moveset to Diddy's for her).
I'm curious -- how does a Diddy and Dixie tag team imply that they would have had similar movesets? If anything, I'd expect vastly different movesets/play styles as an incentive to swap between them.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm curious -- how does a Diddy and Dixie tag team imply that they would have had similar movesets? If anything, I'd expect vastly different movesets/play styles as an incentive to swap between them.

They worked like a mix of the ice climbers and transforming characters, not like Pokemon Trainer, supposedly. I'd assume that'd mean they'd have to work fairly similar in order to keep them synchronized.

Coolluck

I kinda have no expectations or hopes for DLC as far as potential newcomers go honestly, I'd take pretty much anyone.

Dark Dark Pit coming right up.

I'd like to get old cut characters in but if they have DLC characters I will buy them. I almost bought for a 3DS for Smash. I did buy a WiiU for it. I will buy anything they tell me to.

Haha, nabbits a boss character (I would assume in the Wii U NSMBU stage)? Did we know that?

Sorry I should have said "assets". Not necessary a boss character.

l6qLXig.png

Here's the lower screen image for the Notification Shop (File name: com_bg_d_img_main_08.tex (B8B41092-20.bin)_0).

qVVE1gU.png
Challenger Appears text (Japanese)
YlYm2cQ.png
Challenger Appears English.

Dude, which is the text that says that DLC is possible?

And you know, it doesn't matter if there's text or images that support the theory of DLC. You know that Nintendo can do it anyways with software updates, without requiring any existing on cart assets.

If they're gonna release DLC on SMB3DS, that really depends on whether Nintendo wants to do it or not; and if they want to, there's also the restriction on how much they can cram in without a performance impact.

Dude, which is the text that says that DLC is possible?

And you know, it doesn't matter if there's text or images that support the theory of DLC. You know that Nintendo can do it anyways with software updates, without requiring any existing on cart assets.

If they're gonna release DLC on SMB3DS, that really depends on whether Nintendo wants to do it or not; and if they want to, there's also the restriction on how much they can cram in without a performance impact.

Dude, read the OP.

In addition to the OP:

Set the stages that won't appear, even when selection is set to random.
All Off
All On
Turn all stages off.
Make all stages available when using random stage selection.
See stages you have downloaded.
See all regular stages.
Select OFF to exclude this stage from random stage selection.
Select ON to include this stage in random stage selection.

Shop
Unable to connect.
Disconnect?
You've been disconnected.
You will need to update the software via Nintendo eShop before using the in-game shop."

The game has possible DLC. I said:
DLC is 100% possible

Top Bottom