• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbec7

ay0qRTC.png

Dream big Mac, dream big

Hatchtag

Banned
So I guess we can debunk the Spaniard's rumor, right?

Nah. Spaniard said the part about the content being on the cartridge was just his source speculating. That said, things aren't looking likely.

However, we have only seen texture files. Brawl's cut characters were not discovered through texture files. They were discovered through other files.

Nah. Spaniard said the part about the content being on the cartridge was just his source speculating. That said, things aren't looking likely.

However, we have only seen texture files. Brawl's cut characters were not discovered through texture files. They were discovered through other files.
In pretty sure he said that he saw them in the 3DS version of the game. I think the speculation part was whether or not they would unlock with the Wii U version.

Blizzard

Banned
The new DI is way more intuitive, imo
I agree. That vectoring post makes it sound very complicated, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it comes down to "hold the control stick in the opposite direction you're flying, in order to slow down"?

If so, that makes sense, and I was already intuitively doing it in the demo. If you fly up, you want to hold down. If you fly left, you want to hold right. It's like a platformer game.

Guesong

I agree. That vectoring post makes it sound very complicated, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it comes down to "hold the control stick in the opposite direction you're flying, in order to slow down"?

If so, that makes sense, and I was already intuitively doing it in the demo. If you fly up, you want to hold down. If you fly left, you want to hold right. It's like a platformer game.

It's a little bit more than that. You can also elect to hold the control stick toward a direction to fly more in that direction.

The main talking point that SmashBoards are having is that considering that, you can also just hold away from your opponent as he hits you in low % and you will effectively gain more spacing, and it'll make combos tougher to land in general.

Whether or not that'll end up being true and game-breaking, who knows.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm gonna call him Duck Hunt Dog forever. Referring to the character as Duck Hunt is just weird.

That's like referring to Fox as Star Fox.

Well, if you want to feel better. Several people said that people (or announcers) did said Duck Hunt Dog, and chanting Duck Hunt Dog. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Here's a rough draft GIF demonstrating how the DLC button may work:

MnO1848.gif

Interesting. I don't really believe that we are getting DLC characters and stages (so please prove me wrong otherwise!)

Hatchtag

Banned
In pretty sure he said that he saw them in the 3DS version of the game. I think the speculation part was whether or not they would unlock with the Wii U version.

He did. They could've been completely cut out since then.
Again, not looking very likely for what he said, but it doesn't outright disconfirm it.

I downloaded from one of the box.com links of the OST, but is there a version of the music that is just the unlooped music without the 8 minute playtime?

nerdbot

Ok so let's do some (probably wrong) math:

Strongbad's example shows that the difference between no input and VI down for a puff hit by G+W around 50% was 5%. If we assume linearity, that means that for every 10% of accumulated damage, 1% damage-worth of VI can be implimented. For the full range (up to down), this doubles to 2% damage-worth.

If we assume knockback hitstun is linearly related to damage (not correct, but close), than if you are knocked a given direction, the maximum range of VI distance is 5*2/50 or 10%.

If I'm correct, this means that if a player is sent into hitstun, the maximum distance he would be sent away with perfect VI is only 21/20 the normal distance. Not too big a change imo.

Yeah, just sort of looking at it all makes me feel like it's not going to be quite the catastrophe some are making it out to be.

My stance on this is "vectoring isn't really a good thing and if they can tweak it satisfactorily I'm down but I don't think it'll be intolerably bad if it does stay, in the end."

Zubz

Banned
26oIx9D.png

Clever -- looks like Giygas in the background. (It's the Reset Bomb Forest.)

Still hoping Gigyas gets his/her own stage in the Wii U version/as DLC. It'd be terrifying to children, but if we went through Brinstar Depths, they can deal with Gigyas. Probably.

Blizzard

Banned
It's a little bit more than that. You can also elect to hold the control stick toward a direction to fly more in that direction.

The main talking point that SmashBoards are having is that considering that, you can also just hold away from your opponent as he hits you in low % and you will effectively gain more spacing, and it'll make combos tougher to land in general.

Whether or not that'll end up being true and game-breaking, who knows.
But that's generally true in platformers, isn't it? You hold a directional control to move more in a certain direction, so it remains intuitive whether you are aiming towards or away from the direction you're flying.

I understand the concern about combos, but I'm not super worried. Then again, I just want to make it to the NA release so I can actually play the game. ;_;

Clefargle

You're not helping anything by posting shit like this.

I guess I take back the GC part as the Wii U adapter will keep it alive. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, maybe I could have worded it better. What I meant is that CRTs were a necessity at time if melee's release. It feels like the community is holding itself back intentionally if they don't embrace the Wii U version. We don't need a CRT as any decent plasma or projector doesn't have as much input lag as it's equivalent a decade ago. I understand purists and enthusiasts having a certain play style but if they want to remain the face of the competitive smash community they will eventually have to move on just like every other fighting game community.

I guess I take back the GC part as the Wii U adapter will keep it alive. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, maybe I could have worded it better. What I meant is that CRTs were a necessity at time if melee's release. It feels like the community is holding itself back intentionally if they don't embrace the Wii U version. We don't need a CRT as any decent plasma or projector doesn't have as much input lag as it's equivalent a decade ago. I understand purists and enthusiasts having a certain play style but if they want to remain the face of the competitive smash community they will eventually have to move on just like every other fighting game community.

I don't understand your point?
Wii U version will obviously use regular TVs at events (dat $$$), now that its *finally* HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom