• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like villagers side smash is the worst ever, damn

The bowling ball is, hilariously, a reflectable or pocketable projectile. there are so many ways that attack can go wrong.

It's amazingly effective if used over the edge of the stage on an enemy attempting to recover, though. The bowling ball just drops all the way, it doesn't vanish at a certain range.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay so I'm really glad everyone's saying the game's been bumped in speed for whatever reason (seems Sakurai had a last minute change of heart). So is it safe to say that speed bump (get it? No? Whatever I already typed it) will be in the Wii-U (aka the definitive) version too?

This doesn't even make sense unless you've lived in some sort of cave and aren't aware of the numerous online games Nintendo has released since Brawl which are all much better
Mario kart wii had great online and came out only four months after brawl. Didn't make brawl suck any less.

Not to mention the standards for lag in a racing game are much lower than they are for a fighting game. Racing games opt out of input lag in favor of video lag and some predictive movement to make stuff look as smooth as possible, but that shit won't fly in a fighting game, so all they can do is lockstep net code and hope to god that their code is optimized.

Sakurai himself isn't really inspiring confidence either. I remember his line being something like "well, make sure you use an Ethernet adapter" when asked about the online. Hopefully the matchmaking will at least be functional this time though, even if the net code is jacked.

watershed

Banned
Megaman is gonna take some getting use to. But his smash moves are pretty great. His down B seems pretty useless though. When am I suppose to use the circle leaf thing?

Drago

I am so hopelessly addicted to this game, lol. I should have been sleeping a long time ago but I can't stop playing o_o

Megaman is gonna take some getting use to. But his smash moves are pretty great. His down B seems pretty useless though. When am I suppose to use the circle leaf thing?

As far as anyone can tell, never. It blocks all your other attacks for it's duration and doesn't effectively stop any projectiles or damage.

It's just bad.

Hopefully one of his alternate moves for that slot is better.

J@hranimo

Banned
As far as anyone can tell, never. It blocks all your other attacks for it's duration and doesn't effectively stop any projectiles or damage.

It's just bad.

Yeah, jeez I do hope so too. That is such a waste of an animation, even FLUDD does its job better. There's gotta be a custom that works better.

Richie

Mega Man's Up Tilt has a sweetspot that is incredibly powerful. It has the feeling I expect Little Mac's KO technique to have, honestly.

watershed

Banned

It's just bad.

Hmmm, too bad. I'm gonna stick with MM for now but will probably abandon him in the full roster. Still the novelty is pretty fun.

Flowmoney

How would custom moves even work for competitive?

You have to do a lot of unlocking and aren't some hidden on the challenge board?

Imagine having to do that on a lot of Wii U's or on 3ds's , you have everything but the other person doesn't.

JoeM86

How would custom moves even work for competitive?

You have to do a lot of unlocking and aren't some hidden on the challenge board?

Imagine having to do that on a lot of Wii U or on 3ds , you have everything but the other person doesn't.

No different to Pokémon. Some Pokémon have moves you need to reach Level 80 to get, or chain breed like crazy. Does that mean people shouldn't use those moves because others have to do it too to make it "fair"?

lupinko

This is ghetto to do this on my phone but whatever.

hwfJ450.jpg

IceMarker

One of the things from the demo I haven't seen posted is that if you tap a character portrait mid-fight you'll get a nifty box around the character you tapped on screen to help you identify them. Anyone else find any quirks about the demo?
Sixth demo character for earning a 1000g perhaps? :)

Forkball

Just got Wario. I still have about five stages left to unlock too, not sure how you get them. I only need ROB in terms of characters.

So has the embargo lifted? Can Ash talk about what happened behind closed doors at PAX?

I've seen a few places upload videos of playing the game at PAX during that event, so I think so?

Like, explicitly things like creating a Mii and playing the full roster and classic mode, not the floor demos.

Hatchtag

Banned
Unlocked the last Ganon custom. It's like two little jumping hugs. I don't know if it has a cool side effect that I can't figure out like the other Up B had, but yeah.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Maybe someone should put it in the op:
There's a 500 coin cap on the transfer from the demo.

Loving the game (demo) but my hands hurt after a while. At least I got my fix, eases the wait for the Wii U version. Bet they'll announce the release date the day after smash 3ds releases.

Flowmoney

No different to Pokémon. Some Pokémon have moves you need to reach Level 80 to get, or chain breed like crazy. Does that mean people shouldn't use those moves because others have to do it too to make it "fair"?

Pokemon is like monster battle game and you are responsible for all pokemon that you find and manage.But it is not game with fighting game elements , no one cares if they don't have pokemon that you put work into because they have team among over 600 pokemon and its impossible to care for all of them for battle and its like a strategy game.

Maybe it could work for 3ds , if everyone has like thier own but for the Wii U , I don't see people unlocking custom movesets fully.Imagine having to manage 10 Wii U's and having to unlock all the moves but it only happens on one but never gets done on the others , if you are a person going to tournament that person might not have your moveset available that you are accustomed to using.

Is it fair for custom moves to be 3ds viable only?

Played the demo and I must say.... I don't like how it controls on the 3DS. :( was thinking about buying it but I probably won't now. Will wait for superior Wii U version.

SoulUnison

Banned
Megaman's Neutral A and Side Tilts confuse me. They do basically no damage and have no knockback or hitstun. It feels like *I* get punished for using them, even when they connect. Side Tilt approach into Down Tilt slide works pretty well, though. I guess something has to make up for that amazing Forward Smash projectile, though.

Can't Up Tilt to save my life without the ability to disable Tap Jump.

Blizzard

Banned
Well after hours and hours of practice, I'm still losing on no-items with Mario against level 9 CPU Megaman. I can win maybe 1/3 of the time now. Mostly I get destroyed with Megaman's close-up and juggle game. His killing and launching and throwing power seem to outclass Mario's.

The thing I really wish I could figure out is doing the Mario meteor. Almost every time the CPU recovers, they seem to take a path where you can't really meteor them. It could just be that the forward-A in the air is so delayed that I can't time it, combined with my near inability to do short hops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom