• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Cedric

It's much better than Control Stick up for jumping. Easier to pull off short hops this way, too.

I feel like it has a similar dynamic for me at least. As long as I can hit jump with the top of my thumb and roll down to the middle of it to hit A, then it feels good enough for me. And technically you can do the same thing with B and Y now to do up B out of shield if you need to (though I'd still feel more comfortable using L to jump for that anyways). Plus I can't use tap jump anymore ever since Brawl allowed me to not have to. Would just always make me jump when I don't actually want to if I did.

Hmmm, guess I just didn't practice enough. It's too late for me to unlearn tapping up now, I'll have to wait for the Wii U version. I kept screwing up in the 3DS demo, I'd hit A instead of X to jump because I'm used to X being on the upper-right of A instead of upper-left. Definitely struggling with short-hops on the control stick though.

It took forever. Not sure how many tries but across many days I've finally got the milestone for getting 10+ K.O.s in cruel smash. I used Shulk and in total got 11 K.Os.. Had to save the replay. Never playing Cruel Smash again!

I have yet to face it, but I would like to see how I fair against him after practicing a bit more.

1310478257957.jpg

Hmmm, guess I just didn't practice enough. It's too late for me to unlearn tapping up now, I'll have to wait for the Wii U version. I kept screwing up in the 3DS demo, I'd hit A instead of X to jump because I'm used to X being on the upper-right of A instead of upper-left. Definitely struggling with short-hops on the control stick though.

Alleviate this error in your play, smash brother. Map jumping to a button. Short hops are love, short hops are life... For characters that depend on aerials anyway! Even with my Falcon I'll use his meteor dair to catch opponents unexpectedly and it's glorious; you expand your ground game greatly by introducing short air combat into it =]

Moonlight

Banned
Right, finished playing some of my friends in Smash and I need to remind myself I actually suck at it. Anyone up for a few 1v1s? FC is 3668-7701-9486.

Nabster92

Alleviate this error in your play, smash brother. Map jumping to a button. Short hops are love, short hops are life... For characters that depend on aerials anyway! Even with my Falcon I'll use his meteor dair to catch opponents unexpectedly and it's glorious; you expand your ground game greatly by introducing short air combat into it =]

Plus as Rosalina you can short hop air dodge and dodge cancel with a nair into someone and then grab to get a luma nair attack to come out and a grab at the same time if they shield it. And if luma hits and you input the grab fast enough you can even grab them before they fly anywhere

ttony678

Neo Member
That was the last one before bed. Thanks for all the matches! Never get the chance to play through so many characters since all I see is little mac online.. Great games!

Teknoman

Anyone else tried to play Melee recently after having spent so much time with Smash 3DS? I had no idea how different the two felt..., its not even like jumping between say... SF2,3 and 4.

Unbounded

Good games!

It's really hard trying to figure out how to handle both Rosie and Luma at the same time, but I like to think I did ok for my first try. :p

Good games!

It's really hard trying to figure out how to handle both Rosie and Luma at the same time, but I like to think I did ok for my first try. :p

Well you better used to handling both of them, because for some reason Luma's respawn time is only 8 seconds

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lol that does seem to be the case. You can get KO'd or KO alot faster too...and I dont seem to be able to roll as fast as in Smash 4 or Brawl for that matter.

I feel like rolling in Smash 4 is way faster, but much easier to punish with all the chase moves, multi-hit moves, and that this game encourages throws so much.

Masked Man

I said wow
Honestly, I gave up on trying to learn super in depth stuff like this. The circle pad is just not cut out for this level of play without danger of breaking it.

Edit: At least until Wii U version ofc.

Yeah, not having a C-Stick makes spacing and fast-falling aerials pretty tricky. :/

Oh no, it's definitely lagless. Mumei can attest to that.

Oh, that's wonderful! I love the freedom and extra vertical distance that Warp allows, though, so it's going to be hard to decide between the two customs. D:

Nabster92

Good games!

Yea we both had some figuring out to do there since I've never experienced that monstrosity of a custom up B and haven't played much DK in general even either aside from Brawl. Fun games overall though :)

SoulUnison

Banned
Any West Coast (Pacific Northwest, specifically) wanna play some rounds?

Kinda looking for some crazy items-on, Custom-on 4 player Smashes, since all my IRL friends prefer Items-off, Custom-off, FD-stages only, but I'm open for just about anything.

Would be cool to fit a few more people onto my friends list who play things like Smash, Mario Kart 8, Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion...and so on regularly as I'm on my 3DS multiple times a day consistently for short bursts up to an hour or two and I'd love to see that orange light tell me there's games to drop into with other GAFers!

James
1590 - 4697 - 1489

Plus as Rosalina you can short hop air dodge and dodge cancel with a nair into someone and then grab to get a luma nair attack to come out and a grab at the same time if they shield it. And if luma hits and you input the grab fast enough you can even grab them before they fly anywhere

I'm trying this out with Rosalina; it sounds glorious. I'm just not sure what it means exactly to dodge cancel. Is that when you direct your air dodge into the ground to cancel the landing animation?

wrongway

Is the game's online being weird tonight? Tried playing a few different people, and each one had like a 500 ping. Now I seem to be stuck in the pre-game wait/warmup thing even though it says OK! for both myself and my opponent. blah :<

edit: server's down for maintenance now, apparently. welp.

Anyone wanna be my sparring partner for a little bit? Need to brush up on some fighting techniques before I play my match tomorrow for the smashgaf tourney. Everyone's getting tougher!

FC in my profile.

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, was playing against PK Gaming (GGs again btw, his Robin is gdlk), and we got kicked out too. Looks like the server down for maintenance. Ah well...

Moonlight

Banned
Got disconnected. > . <

I think I'm done for tonight though. Good games.
I tried reconnecting and it seems like the server is undergoing maintenance or something. Good games! Feels like every time I fight you, you've picked up a new character, haha. Couldn't take a game off you, but at least I was close? It's like every time I get close to sealing a final stock, I completely forget how. >_>

Or that sleeping counter happens and I'm done. :lol

Your turnip game is pretty good! Using them as grab set-ups is tricky as hell. And they basically ensured I rarely got the follow-up on an Arcfire in a projectile trade. Might have been a little too eager on the Peach Bombers, though. I'm probably not one to talk given how many times I got hit by them anyways, but there were still some instances where I managed to get a solid punish in from the endlag or hit you out with a f-tilt.

Falawful

I was gonna ask to play some matches, but it looks like there's server maintenance happening? Maybe tomorrow then.

Also a tip for those who are losing track of what characters are left for single-player modes: not only is it in Records, you can also check your trophy gallery and filter it by Fighters to see which ones are missing.

Top Bottom