• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

raigeki11

Neo Member

So in the article hyperlinked in that one, Kamiya says a nearly identical statement about wanting Bayonetta in smash but it's up to Nintendo... I hadn't heard this before but I find that pretty exciting. I've always thought a Platinum rep is plausible with how closely they've been working with Nintendo, although I think Wonder-Red would be a much better fit than Bayonetta. But then again they did make Snake fit in, so who knows

AbsolPowers

Neo Member
I'm not too sure about this change for Pikachu. On one hand, the height of Thunder has decreased. On the other... his edge-game will go up tenfold because of that meteor ability for it.

Now, I can't confirm this, but I don't remember Thunder stopping it's line towards Pikachu if it hit an opponent. I thought that was only for platforms. Again, I can't say that with 100% confidence, but I believe that was the case beforehand.

Loco4Coco

What a shame.

I know right, it's like people have different opinions on stuff.

tumblr_n2zykbqquZ1twt8plo1_400.gif

DaBoss

For the sake of having a bigger image to look at.
itVYZ4X5mBhyR.jpg

So Pikachu can attack out of Thunder it seems, which seems like it will be really powerful. Thunder's biggest weakness was the fact that Pikachu was vulnerable for most of the time. It now seems that isn't the case.

Then there is the fact that Thunder now seems to not last for a long time. It seems to be a quick bolt going down.
Now, I can't confirm this, but I don't remember Thunder stopping it's line towards Pikachu if it hit an opponent. I thought that was only for platforms. Again, I can't say that with 100% confidence, but I believe that was the case beforehand.
It doesn't, and it doesn't seem to do that here either. It seems the Thunder is going down with Bowser.

SoldnerKei

seeing that pic, I wonder if you will be able to dodge because of the lag of the thunder or because hitstun can be canceled as fast as in brawl

Pappasman

Honestly, the biggest problem with Pikachu's thunder is that it's very easy to DI away from. Unless your opponent just decides not too (lol) then a setup like in the picture will very rarely happen.

RomanceDawn

Man this Pikachu update is awesome! So is it just the cloud portion that spikes or do you think any part of the thunder does it? The trailer we originally saw didn't have this property at all.

Oh yeah, did anyone remember that Thunder made Ridley fall to the ground in Brawl? Kinda makes you think doesn't it?

zlCfzRum7mMfrbwJxN

Pic of the day. Pikachu's Thunder now starts off with a thundercloud that deals a Meteor Smash! From left to right, you can see this combo starting with Pikachu throwing the opponent upward, Meteor Smashing with the lightning strike, and then directly attacking. Foes can dodge, of course, so the attack won't hit consistently, but when it does, it sure feels good!

Hell yeah one of my favorite moves in the game

EDIT: No offscreen kills does make me a little sad though

Battle of the bug nets?

I don't know what other items they can give D:

fishing rod?

Megaton Hammer replaces the golden hammer (we keep the of hammer)

It's super slow and super powerful and when if you hit the ground with it, it sends shockwaves and has an AOE radius.

DaBoss just posted the clean image, so I don't feel the need to.

Also, regarding the hashtag argument a few pages back, I'd totally be okay with #TeamMelia if it came to that. Sure, it'd be a shame to not have the Monado wielder, but the game could use more magic users - all we have right now is Zelda.

Azure J

Tyeforce was asking about rosters and since it's been a long veteran less month and change, why not:

iG46Ai1MbUDZI.png

Not much has changed besides me hopelessly flip flopping between wanting and dreaming of more new series reps (previously Lip from Panel De Pon, an Advance Wars character between Andy and Sami, Saki from Sin & Punishment, and Issac from Golden Sun) and erring more towards the side of "current" folks and a number closer to 50. I don't really think we're getting more than 50 (honestly, I think 48 is the most overall), but it'd be cool to see.

Wonder Red/Wonderful Ones are there because game is pure hype and screams for Smash representation.

Tyeforce was asking about rosters and since it's been a long veteran less month and change, why not:

iG46Ai1MbUDZI.png

Not much has changed besides me hopelessly flip flopping between wanting and dreaming of more new series reps (previously Lip from Panel De Pon, an Advance Wars character between Andy and Sami, Saki from Sin & Punishment, and Issac from Golden Sun) and erring more towards the side of "current" folks and a number closer to 50. I don't really think we're getting more than 50 (honestly, I think 48 is the most overall), but it'd be cool to see.

Wonder Red/Wonderful Ones are there because game is pure hype and screams for Smash representation.
Anna and Medusa confuse me.

Hell yeah one of my favorite moves in the game

EDIT: No offscreen kills does make me a little sad though
What do you mean no offscreen kills?

Moonlight

Banned
Anna and Medusa confuse me.
Speaking personally, Anna has always been one of my picks as a general Fire Emblem representative, given how she's been in practically every entry to the series. She's technically more of a constant than Marth is. And her role as a merchant puts a neat theoretical angle on how her moves might work, as someone who theoretically has almost every FE weapon-type on hand.

So, I can dig it.

Popnbake

So in the article hyperlinked in that one, Kamiya says a nearly identical statement about wanting Bayonetta in smash but it's up to Nintendo... I hadn't heard this before but I find that pretty exciting. I've always thought a Platinum rep is plausible with how closely they've been working with Nintendo, although I think Wonder-Red would be a much better fit than Bayonetta. But then again they did make Snake fit in, so who knows

Has he commented on the possibility for a W101 representative as well?

Mit-

Foes can dodge, of course, so the attack won't hit consistently
As long as that emphasis doesn't mean they are intentionally making it so you can "dodge" everything all the time, a la Brawl, I'm good.

Ryce

Could be uncredited work. I guess there is a possibility he is trying to cover it up, but I don't really want to think he is lying about it.
The PlayStation All-Stars credits are literally 30 minutes long -- anyone with even a slight connection to the project is individually credited. I don't think someone like Reuben Langdon would be left out.

RomanceDawn

Zalman

Thanks to the GBA VC, I've been thinking a lot about Advance Wars and Golden Sun lately. It would be pretty sweet to see reps from both of those franchises, but I have my doubts.

^ Why even bring up Smash Bros.?

Thanks to the GBA VC, I've been thinking a lot about Advance Wars and Golden Sun lately. It would be pretty sweet to see reps from both of those franchises, but I have my doubts.

Nintendo Wars needs some sort of representation beyond Assist Trophy. This is a series that's been around since the Famicom days and has showed up on most Nintendo consoles.

I'm speaking as someone who has only played the first level or two of Battalion Wars II.

^ Why even bring up Smash Bros.?

Nintendo Wars needs some sort of representation beyond Assist Trophy. This is a series that's been around since the Famicom days and has showed up on most Nintendo consoles.

I'm speaking as someone who has only played the first level or two of Battalion Wars II.

I know, I thought that was interesting.

Zalman

I'm not familiar with the series yet (but I will be soon), so who would be an obvious choice for a Wars rep?

Tomohawk

For the sake of having a bigger image to look at.
itVYZ4X5mBhyR.jpg

So Pikachu can attack out of Thunder it seems, which seems like it will be really powerful. Thunder's biggest weakness was the fact that Pikachu was vulnerable for most of the time. It now seems that isn't the case.

Then there is the fact that Thunder now seems to not last for a long time. It seems to be a quick bolt going down.

It doesn't, and it doesn't seem to do that here either. It seems the Thunder is going down with Bowser.

I think it can only attack during thunder if the lightning doesn't hit it.

AbsolPowers

Neo Member
Honestly, the biggest problem with Pikachu's thunder is that it's very easy to DI away from. Unless your opponent just decides not too (lol) then a setup like in the picture will very rarely happen.

That's actually a good point, if they know about Thunder, they could/should/would just not go above Pikachu. The problem is... if the opponent knows about how Thunder would work, the Pikachu could just ThunderShock them on the ground until they get jump/dodge to avoid those. It seems Pikachu still has his Ground and Air game from before all the same. Really wish his Down-B would be something else, but at least they change Thunder to make it a slight bit easier to avoid (and then make it stronger, oy) is SOMETHING good they changed for him.

raigeki11

Neo Member
Has he commented on the possibility for a W101 representative as well?

No not specifically, just that bit about Bayonetta and saying in general that he would be honored to have one of his characters included. The Wonder-Red thing is just what I thought. Also it would probably be easier since Nintendo published W101, whereas Bayonetta was published by Sega

THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING.

Pikachu was already an annoying fuck in Brawl, this is gonna be a hard pill to swallow for those that struggle against the rat. Pretty cool though, and Sakurai is saying it can be dodged. But is he implying that it can only be dodged at lower damage percentiles?

..is.. some form.. of.. Melee hit stun back? Brawl had very little hit stun, and even when you landed some hits they'd fly in directions that made chaining moves a bitch.

EDIT: Jesus, I just realized what this means for Pikachu's edge game. I wonder how much Thunder will affect his horizontal movement when used in mid-air. I hope most of the vets get cool tweaks like this, anyone keeping track of the buff and nerfs so far?

Here you go: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=102520709#post102520709 Heath started this and I kinda took over. It is my pet project for our wonderful community and I will be compiling every mechanics change & or Nerf/buff as they are revealed to us through POTDs.

Here you go: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=102520709#post102520709 Heath started this and I kinda took over. It is my pet project for our wonderful community and I will be compiling every mechanics change & or Nerf/buff as they are revealed to us through POTDs.

Others have said it but I will reiterate it, those kinds of pics of the day are best! It's so fun to see and hear about all the cool tweaks characters are getting! Thanks for keeping this updated!

Ryce

As a side note, I believe this is now the longest we've gone without a character reveal, surpassing the record set between Marth and Rosalina.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Confusing Smash with Playstation All-Stars is like confusing a gourmet steak with a TV dinner.

Aexact

Yeah, I used Pikachu's Thunder mostly for off-screen KOs from the top of the screen. Though I suppose that wasn't how the move was intended to be used. Oh well.

Speaking personally, Anna has always been one of my picks as a general Fire Emblem representative, given how she's been in practically every entry to the series. She's technically more of a constant than Marth is. And her role as a merchant puts a neat theoretical angle on how her moves might work, as someone who theoretically has almost every FE weapon-type on hand.

So, I can dig it.
She's only a merchant in Awakening though. The other games, she has brief cameos as a mechanics tutorial or minor UI interface.

Her Awakening version is in charge of the DLC and she appears in a lot of goofy DLC episode roles so the boosted exposure could justify it anyway. It'd just be the Awakening version really, though. Couldn't say she has a personality or gameplay model until Awakening.

batfax

Besides, if there's any main character in FE that had a stint of being able to use nearly any weapon type, it'd be Leif. The only thing he's never been able to use was I think dark magic.

They need to remake those Judgral games on 3DS or somethin'. =\

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
As a side note, I believe this is now the longest we've gone without a character reveal, surpassing the record set between Marth and Rosalina.

Calling a New Character around the 15th via a Direct.

Calling a New Character around the 15th via a Direct.

I hope we get one soon. I'm itching for a new reveal.

I also hope we get a direct soon too. We're starting spring but besides a few games on both systems, there's nothing really concrete that we know is going to come out after May.

There's also no real big game launches in April from what I'm seeing either. I'd say its probably a safe bet that we'll get something in the week of Kirby launch though...probably Meta Knight reveal on that Friday.

Others have said it but I will reiterate it, those kinds of pics of the day are best! It's so fun to see and hear about all the cool tweaks characters are getting! Thanks for keeping this updated!

100% agree and thank you! I enjoy it so much I even just updated it after recovering from a micro flu (fever of almost 103 last night)

I think it can only attack during thunder if the lightning doesn't hit it.
No, Pikachu couldn't attack during Thunder whether it hit him or not in previous Smash Bros. He was always stuck in the long animation after using it. It balanced out how strong Thunder was as an enemy-repellant move.

Since he can apparently attack out of it now, I wonder if its knockback from the thunder shockwave proper will be nerfed? I can't imagine them keeping it like it is and also letting him attack out of it.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The only newcomer left is Raiden from Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom