• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

Neal Ronaghan: Q: When did they decide to include Greninja?

Michael "TYP" Cole: A: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings.
Gematsu leak seems real likely now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings.

That really explained a lot about Pokemon X/Y Leak.

SkyOdin

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Sakurai points out some chars are better suited for 2 vs 4 player and with or without items. Sakurai considers smash a party game.

The fact that some characters are better in different situations has always been true, and will always been true. For example, Bowser has always been a strong character for timed 4-man Free-for-All. He is much stronger in that environment than in 1-on-1 stock matches. It is just an inherent difference between characters who are good at combos versus characters who are strong at opportunistic knock-outs and endurance.

It is just a consequence of giving characters significant differences in their playstyle combined with a game that supports a diverse ruleset. It is simply impossible to balance every character equally for every game mode. Not without turning them all into clones of each other.

For a game like Street Fighter 4, it is theoretically possible to have every character equally balanced, since it uses a much more constrained ruleset. Every fight is a one-on-one match determined by hp with time only used as a limiter on match length, and every match takes place in a mechanically identical field. That is a much more restrained set of possible game conditions than in Smash Bros.

It is pretty much impossible to have every character balanced on every possible stage, let alone under every ruleset. The only real question is what kind of balance you are looking for, and what rulesets, if any, to prioritize. Probably the best thing to do is to focus on preventing outliers: characters who definitively excel or suffer under any particular set of conditions. As there as there are a good number of characters who are useful for any given set of conditions, the game will still be playable. Of course, it also helps to make sure that every character is useful somewhere.

Also interesting he notes they had a "spot reserved for a new Pokemon reserved." He knew he wanted another Pokemon before he knew which character to go with.

Michael "TYP" Cole:
With brawl the players could set up everything, with freedom. But we learned that some folks team up or play differently, making it difficult for all to enjoy. There is a reporting system. As far as technical connection issues, we're still working on it. They use async communication in Mario Kart and other games to improve this, but that doesn't work well for fighting games. So there is cascading failure, especially for four players. That is why they ask people to have the best communication system available (eg a LAN adapter)

It's always been obvious how Nintendo and Gamefreak wanted Greninja to be popular with how they treated him in X/Y compared to the other two starters.

Axass

That really explained a lot about Pokemon X/Y Leak.

Not really, the leak happened just two months ago, by that time Greninja was ready. That'd mean the leaker was on-board the developing team only at the start of the game production. Could the leaker be a disgruntled and or fired employee? He said Nintendo was greedy with DLC after all.

Laieon

I really want this game to be good, but everything we've learned today really makes it seem like Sakurai is just making Brawl 2.0

As someone who just wants more characters and more stages and got that out of Brawl, I'm more than okay with that.

Michael "TYP" Cole:
With brawl the players could set up everything, with freedom. But we learned that some folks team up or play differently, making it difficult for all to enjoy. There is a reporting system. As far as technical connection issues, we're still working on it. They use async communication in Mario Kart and other games to improve this, but that doesn't work well for fighting games. So there is cascading failure, especially for four players. That is why they ask people to have the best communication system available (eg a LAN adapter)

So is it a fighting game or not? STOP BEING SUCH A FLIP FLOP

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not really, the leak happened just two months ago, by that time Greninja was ready. That'd mean the leaker was on-board the developing team only at the start of the game production. Could the leaker be a disgruntled and or fired employee? He said Nintendo was greedy with DLC after all.

Could be.

georly

Could be fired for sure. Could also just be someone who works for nintendo who is in a position to only visit certain projects on occasion. LIke a localization person who visited the japan office to talk to them before E3 last year.

Anteo

Michael "TYP" Cole: A: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings.

But of course, you dont go to anyone saying "so for this smash game im putting like 40 chars, dunno what yet"

In other news, now that this tournament has sucked all the hype from me, that's one game less to buy. Now to decide, which version should I get (since I'm no longer getting both)

Ugh

Batty, we got Pac Man, Game and Watch, Mii Fighters, and Palutena

You win
What's the stupid punishment avatar

Soooo close damn you Palutena

I checked the site about 15 minutes ago and they had character icons for Mr. Game and Watch and Pac-Man, but when I clicked them I got an error page. I just checked again and the icons are gone and the page layout is different.

Why would you not back up and screen cap that >:[

Top Bottom