• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

Berordn

I really doubt they would release this huge amount of DLC. Nintendo isn't Capcom. Yet.

Nintendo's embracing DLC this gen and they've been riding it pretty hardcore. None of the usually scummy practices, but between NSLU, NSMB2, FE:A, and Pikmin 3 it's not really unreasonable to think they want a stream of content to keep SSB4 relevant for a while after release.

Obviously 15ish characters is pushing it, but we could see a lot in the works for SSB.

Ridley DLC is the only DLC that would cause me to raise my fist up skyward in anger as the other hand reaches down and pulls out a wad of money from my wallet.

Qurupeke

All of this has been explained. The information is clearly from early in the planning stages of the game when the roster was finalized (they weren't sure if Lucas was cut or not yet, Sakurai confirmed that Greninja was selected before he had a name), so it's likely that their E3 plans changed between when the info was obtained and E3 2013. Chorus Men being "crazy" doesn't really mean anything. The leaker also knew the Mii character was called "Mii Fighter".

There was no reason to think the Lucas situation was leaning one way or the other, until these select screen mockups, which show that 4 characters were likely cut. Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas.
Yeah, I think I'm getting the whole idea now. I prefer to stay optimistic though. Cuts are the most awful thing that can happen to a game you'll play for literally hundred or thousand of hours. I prefer another delay than cuts. It's only like 4 months till gthe game goes gold so I'm pretty sure the roster is decided. I hope we get a full roster leak soon, because it's really killing me. :(

Ryce

My dream scenario is that the DLC characters will get reveal trailers during Nintendo Directs and then be released a week or two later. Each DLC character would be priced at $5 and contain trophies and customization options.

December 2014 - Mewtwo
February 2015 - Dixie Kong
April 2015 (Splatoon Direct) - Inkling & “Turf War” stage*
June 2015 (E3 Digital Event) - Takamaru & “Murasame Castle” stage

* Each copy of Splatoon comes with a free Smash Bros. DLC code.

I really don’t see there being any more than four or five DLC characters.

Ridley DLC is the only DLC that would cause me to raise my fist up skyward in anger as the other hand reaches down and pulls out a wad of money from my wallet.

Which should work out, because I can't imagine we'd get DLC characters that are already in the game in a significant way (No Waluigi or Tingle :( )

I wonder if we'd get DLC characters that have trophies though... everyones gonna have scour the game looking for Plusle/Minun, Mewtwo, Dixie, etc trophies

Miutsu

Oh, I wasn't trying to generalize all competitive players at all. I was just talking about those super idiotic and vocal people who badmouth Sakurai all the time, complaining about Sakurai ignoring them. It's because of people like them that so many people have a negative opinion about competitive players.

Ah, well in that case yeah, I agree completely, its sad but every community has a bad side and this one is very vocal. My hope is that with the recent developments of Nintendo and the competitive Smash community, if Nintendo is looking for feedback for the game (even if it doesn't reach Japan / Sakurai) they know where to look for it / who to ask for, right now someone like Prog seems like a very good voice for the community.

Right now Smashboards is not the right place for that.

Riposte

I think Bomberman is assist trophy tier. Don't see the point of him being a character. I question whether he really compares to Mario, Sonic, or Pacman (Megaman is arguable I guess, if only pay attention to the first series).

The Metal Gear and Castlevania series easily surpasses that one in every measure and it's all just Konami now.

Most importantly though, Snakes and Belmonts (or Dracula) make for most interesting move sets.

My guess is since the 3DS version will most likely require L and R to switch between a menu, it will get added to Wii U for DLC characters. 3DS will have 3 pages: 2 for main roster, 1 for DLC. Wii U will have 2 pages: 1 for main roster, 1 for DLC. I also imagine they would restrict DLC use in random battles like Mii to make it more balanced (but maybe not IDK).

I haven't seen that. Is there a screenshot of it?

I have a feeling most of the DLC will be old assets upgraded. It reduces the workload if you just import stuff and update it. I do not see how much "new" stuff they will create.

There's been much more than some Fire Emblem maps.

Even that's misleading because there's a metric fuckton of Fire Emblem maps.

Sakurai spends so long balancing and making sure everything is "as it is" in an SSB game. Every character is in there for a specific reason, I just don't see regular or even occasional DLC that adds substantial content to SSB.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, because hey, fucking massive roster with more choice works for me.

Sakurai spends so long balancing and making sure everything is "as it is" in an SSB game. Every character is in there for a specific reason, I just don't see regular or even occasional DLC that adds substantial content to SSB.

We have very good reason to believe that at least some character DLC is planned.

Also, it seems odd to me that the leaker is aware of DLC characters being considered, but hasn't mentioned any of them specifically.

He seems to be pretty spot on with the roster, but I would think DLC characters are going to come straight from the list of characters that didn't quite make it, which I would imagine he'd also know.

emb

I hope you're right. Those work hours could be put towards things that will actually make it into some game, rather than DLC that will never matter to me.

I know there's gonna be character DLC, and I'm gonna have to downlaod it anyway because Smash. : [

We have very good reason to believe that at least some character DLC is planned.

The leak? Yeah I just read. I know I just acknowledged the cool aspect of it, but man I'll be pretty pissed if I'm paying £3 to play as Jigglypuff. Seems very "non Nintendo".

Also, it seems odd to me that the leaker is aware of DLC characters being considered, but hasn't mentioned any of them specifically.

He seems to be pretty spot on with the roster, but I would think DLC characters are going to come straight from the list of characters that didn't quite make it, which I would imagine he'd also know.

Couldn't he simply be aware of the fact that DLC characters are planned? It's 3 months until general release, maybe they haven't tied down what characters they might actually include.

I haven't seen that. Is there a screenshot of it?
From the E3 floor:
lDYXrch.png

The concept is 4 rows, 6 columns. I do not think 40+ fighters can fit on the top screen. So I am pretty sure there will be a way to switch between what characters are on the menu.

The leak? Yeah I just read. I know I just acknowledged the cool aspect of it, but man I'll be pretty pissed if I'm paying £3 to play as Jigglypuff. Seems very "non Nintendo".
How so? You have to pay $5 to play as Rosalina in Mario Golf. You have to pay to play as Ike or OG Marth in Fire Emblem. It's very likely that you'll have to pay to play as characters like Diddy Kong and Birdo in Mario Kart 8. It's very non Nintendo if you ignore the past few years.

Revven

I guarantee you people living so long is because of stale moves negation for knockback is still too punishing and harsh. It needs to be lightened up or removed for knockback entirely. I can't tell you how much of a difference in KO potential there is once knockback for stale moves is completely removed.

How so? You have to pay $5 to play as Rosalina in Mario Golf. You have to pay to play as Ike or OG Marth in Fire Emblem. It's very likely that you'll have to pay to play as characters like Diddy Kong and Birdo in Mario Kart 8. It's very non Nintendo if you ignore the past few years.

I'd rather not though. I'd rather have a complete package.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

We are getting complete packages for sure but they are going to work on the characters after the release date. I'm pretty sure since they probably running out of time to work on those characters. I rather to get them as DLC characters over cut from the game for good like those 7 characters in Brawl.

Sponge

Banned
So if the Gematsu leak is true and the three left on it are all the newcomers left, I gotta say I'm a tad disappointed we're not getting a third DK character. Kinda doesn't seem right that Star Fox has three characters and Fire Emblem gets three blue haired swordsmen but Donkey Kong doesn't get anything new. Hopefully Dixie or somebody will end up being DLC.

I really doubt they would release this huge amount of DLC. Nintendo isn't Capcom. Yet.

Didn't the DLC for Mario Golf nearly double the content that comes with the game? FE:A had a fair amount, too, and since Smash is bigger than both those games, I can see Nintendo going all-out with the DLC. On the other hand, that makes a little too much sense, so Nintendo probably won't do it.

The boxes are big, they can shrink em as you unlock more characters.

I can't see the boxes getting much smaller than that. They're the perfect size now. WHat they can do is make two pages of characters, which also fits the most plausible roster projections: 2 pages of 24 characters each, minus 1 random slot = 47 characters.

We are getting complete packages for sure but they are going to work on the characters after the release date. I'm pretty sure since they probably running out of time to work on those characters. I rather to get them as DLC characters over cut from the game for good like those 7 characters in Brawl.

I guess. Character DLC just makes me itchy after the whole Marvel vs Capcom 3 thing. If they add Hades or Ivysaur, I'll pay up.

man they should just keep lucas

i dunno why though its just a feeling i have

His character being wholly irrelevant in most of the world and Nintendo doing nothing to remedy this? :p

I can't see the boxes getting much smaller than that. They're the perfect size now. WHat they can do is make two pages of characters, which also fits the most plausible roster projections: 2 pages of 24 characters each, minus 1 random slot = 47 characters.
Ooh, didn't even think about that. Plus if you think about it, even if Pokemon had 6 characters it would fit a single row perfectly at this size. Mario + Yoshi would fit as well.

Ryce

I considered Brawl a complete package, but had large scale DLC been feasible on the Wii, we would have probably gotten Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, and Plusle & Minun as well. What's the downside? I look forward to and play Smash Bros. largely for its roster -- the more the merrier, I say.

The boxes are big, they can shrink em as you unlock more characters.

Sure, but it would hurt the eyes to shrink it in half. 90 millimeters for a 2DS top screen and with at least 45 characters, that would mean each character only gets 4 millimeter of screen. It is easy to forget the screen size when you only use the XL to show off.

emb

Unless they release it as an ultimate or super turbo edition or something, I'd rather those characters just be nothing than DLC. Creating extra characters isn't free. You're using resources that could either have been going into this game, or going into Sakurai's next game (or Namco's. whatever).

Getting characters in the interim makes Smash less special anyway. Instead of getting to hope for whoever to come back next time, instead we'll just be asked to pay 5 bucks for him/her next year. That's not ok with me. A Smash Bros. releases once per system, and it should mean something. It isn't something they can go back and fix later. If I wanted things changing all the time, I'd just stick with Project M.

Sorry, dinosaur rant over. c:

I considered Brawl a complete package, but had large scale DLC been feasible on the Wii, we would have probably gotten Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, and Plusle & Minun as well. What's the downside? I look forward to and play Smash Bros. largely for its roster -- the more the merrier, I say.
When you put it that way :) I would have definitely paid for that in honesty.
he's the star of the greatest video game ever made shut up

You sound very Earthwound up.

Sure, but it would hurt the eyes to shrink it in half. 90 millimeters for a 2DS top screen and with at least 45 characters, that would mean each character only gets 4 millimeter of screen. It is easy to forget the screen size when you only use the XL to show off.

Or the screen just scrolls down as you move the cursor down?

Or the screen just scrolls down as you move the cursor down?

Yeah, I can see that happening. I do not see them shrinking the portraits, but scrolling down could work. Either way we will know once it comes out.

Edit: Scrolling left/right may also work, so my prototype roster may still be valid.

Crocodile

I guarantee you people living so long is because of stale moves negation for knockback is still too punishing and harsh. It needs to be lightened up or removed for knockback entirely. I can't tell you how much of a difference in KO potential there is once knockback for stale moves is completely removed.

Yeah, from all the footage I've watched, that's really the only/big thing that REALLY sticks out as something that needs to be addressed. I'm hoping it does get addressed.

Yep, it's handheld so you really don't need all of the playable characters on the screen at once since there's only one player per system. Even for coms, it's less of a big deal for them to be switch manually than it would be if you had to worry about another player sharing the system

Yep, it's handheld so you really don't need all of the playable characters on the screen at once since there's only one player per system. Even for coms, it's less of a big deal for them to be switch manually than it would be if you had to worry about another player sharing the system

Yeah, I feel the same way as well. It will be interesting how they integrate DLC characters to the menu. There is no need to show all fighters on screen at once in the 3DS version.

batfax

I think the lamest part of Lucas being considered "most likely" to get cut is that he has a(n almost) completely different set of Normals that I don't see Ness inheriting in any way. If they make him DLC then I hope they go all out and give him more unique specials to even further diversify him and also make him worth the money.

Also lame: I really wanted a Lucas NFC figure since I already got one of the Banpresto Mother 2 Ness figures. Oh well. It'll be surreal enough to see a Ness one just sitting around in a regular store.

Revven

So is whatever news regarding Project M still happening today?

It'll be on www.twitch.tv/progducto at 7 PM EST.

I don't even know what it could be. Prog clarified later that it's not what we think (Nintendo wanting to C&D PM and etc etc). If anything it's probably just speculation from him that he's going to make.

Unless that's not what you're referring to and you're referring to Zero's announcement? That one got delayed to an unknown timeframe/date.

Also lame: I really wanted a Lucas NFC figure since I already got one of the Banpresto Mother 2 Ness figures. Oh well. It'll be surreal enough to see a Ness one just sitting around in a regular store.
I could see Amiibo release extra figures for the DLC characters. When you buy the figure, you get to use the character in the game. So do not give up hope!

Proven

About possible DLC characters... I'm mostly against it. Primarily because the game is going to be on two different consoles, and I don't trust Nintendo to have an easy way implemented to avoid us paying twice.

About possible DLC characters... I'm mostly against it. Primarily because the game is going to be on two different consoles, and I don't trust Nintendo to have an easy way implemented to avoid us paying twice.

That is why I hope they make Amiibo with the DLC character included when buying the figure. It would eliminate the "double dip" issue.

That is why I hope they make Amiibo with the DLC character included when buying the figure. It would eliminate the "double dip" issue.

Okay I actually love this idea. Oh my god a figurine of this guy, plus the ability to kick pretty Paleutena's ass from here to Hoenn.

Hades.png

I've never used this phrase before but... the thirst is real.

Proven

Two problems with this. First is the cost of the figures, and second is the fact that they wouldn't want you to easily be able to have the figures unlock characters on multiple consoles, would they? Actually, third problem, the 3DS apparently needs a peripheral in order to connect with the amiibo, right?

Top Bottom