• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

JoeInky

I don't play Project M. PAL Wii here. I don't support region locking, especially not in fan mods. I did want to try it, but it wouldn't run, so I never went back.

I mean there are two kinds of air combat in play in Smash. Air-to-air and air-to-ground. Would it bad if some characters had a distinct advantage in being grounded against air attacks? Like no one jumps a crouching Guile in Street Fighter unless they're darn sure they can avoid getting Flash Kicked. Jumping is a commitment, and rightfully so. He might not get much off a single Flash Kick, but you learn that the air above Guile? That's his. No touching.

If I was balancing a game like this, I wouldn't make aerials lag like this, I'd make airborne characters fly longer when hit with a knockback attack. High risk, high reward. But clearly air-power is powerful in any iteration of Smash. Maybe too powerful. And unless some characters get hard counters against air attacks, well, a global nerf seems likely.

I'd love a grounded character that basically can't be air attacked if you're on point, though.

Again, P:M bowser is a good example of this due to having priority on a lot of his tilts and armour on most of his moves, especially his smash attacks.

He also has armour against weak attacks just by crouching so he's a brilliant ground character, because he gets incentives for being on the ground.

And they managed this without nerfing his aerial game or everyone elses aerial game.

Just got back from BestBuy, got there early so I was like in the second group of players, but they only let us play one match. :( Oh well.

Played as Samus. Kept fighting muscle memory on the Pro Controller because I jump with the X button on the GCN controller, which is the furthest button to the right on that controller, and the A button (attack) is the button furthest to the right on the Pro Controller. Oh well. Was fun!

Oh come on, I bet everyone wanted to win that tournament. Yeah I know they didn't take it as seriously as a real tournament, but if you make it to the finals of the first Nintendo sponsored Smash Bros. tournament and you have a chance to win a trophy out of it, why wouldn't you play to win?

Are we seriously going to look down on the guy for trying his best to win a special tournament like that and a trophy alongside it? Just because he used tactics that people consider "lame"? That's messed up.

How did he not put on a good show? He brought the finale down to Sudden Death, which is pretty much the equivalent of Overtime in sports. Besides, if you read his posts on Reddit, winning the invitational has opened up a lot of opportunities for him.

Nintendo didn't invite him to win a trophy. They invited him to put on a great show, show off the game, and drum up some enthusiasm for Smash. He was playing to win a little too hard, and it made for a real anticlimax. Perhaps winning did open a lot of opportunities for him. But was it necessary for him to win in such a boring way? I don't know much about Zero, but if he was invited and made it all the way to the grand finals, I'm sure he's no slouch at Smash. I'm sure he could've played a more entertaining game and still have won. To be fair to Zero, though, he was playing against Hungrybox, who camped all the way to the grand finals :p

Again, some people solve puzzles, some give up: Is there REALLY nothing your opponent can do?
I've seen this way too many times in fighting games where people who aren't necessarily sore losers go "there was nothing I could do!" and with just a few seconds I can show them that not only was there something they could do but often MULTIPLE things they could have done. It's too easy to just go "impossible!" in a fit of emotions, but if you want to really plumb the depths of a game and often reach an insane new layer you didn't even know previously existed, you're better off cooling your head and asking yourself genuinely "how can I approach this?" From there, you experiment and you find out the answer. You even try to use the offending tactic yourself to get a better understanding of it.

Unless... y'know... you're playing rise of the robots and you're player one. In that case, nobody is beating your jumping kick and they might as well put the pad down :p

Sure, a person can give up too easily and then start crying about it; that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about tactics that are designed to obstruct - tactics that aren't so much about defeating your opponent as preventing your opponent from doing anything at all. That's what stalling does. If you can just outrun them forever, there's not much they can do but hope you make a mistake they can capitalize on. By preventing your opponent from even getting close enough to take a shot - and by not attacking yourself - you bring the whole game to a grinding halt.

McNum

Again, P:M bowser is a good example of this due to having priority on a lot of his tilts and armour on most of his moves, especially his smash attacks.

He also has armour against weak attacks just by crouching so he's a brilliant ground character, because he gets incentives for being on the ground.

And they managed this without nerfing his aerial game or everyone elses aerial game.
He is? That's kind of neat.

I'm a fan of having powerful abilities with clean counters, though. Like Smash's air fighting is really powerful... but it has no real counter. Either you take the fight to the air or you lose. I'd love to see air combat as a viable option, but not the only one. Maybe something like "Air > grabs > ground > air". Classic fighting game rock/paper/scissors setup there.

I do want some powerful air attacks to have awful landing lag. Like Hail Mary attacking, going for a powerful move, and then the opponent read that and spot-dodged. Congrats, you are now at his mercy!

LuuKyK

Did Sakurai once comment that Peach's move were subject to change or something like that? Perhaps despite her early reveal she is still being worked on significantly.

Thanks. Thats what I assumed, but this thread moves too fast and I didn't have much time to follow E3 news so I had no idea if Sakurai made any comment about the characters selected to be playable or not.

Nintendo didn't invite him to win a trophy. They invited him to put on a great show, show off the game, and drum up some enthusiasm for Smash. He was playing to win a little too hard, and it made for a real anticlimax. Perhaps winning did open a lot of opportunities for him. But was it necessary for him to win in such a boring way? I don't know much about Zero, but if he was invited and made it all the way to the grand finals, I'm sure he's no slouch at Smash. I'm sure he could've played a more entertaining game and still have won. To be fair to Zero, though, he was playing against Hungrybox, who camped all the way to the grand finals :p
Going to sudden death was much more exciting than just finishing it off normally though. Your argument really doesn't make sense when he actually put on more of a show in addition to winning.

JoeInky

He is? That's kind of neat.

I'm a fan of having powerful abilities with clean counters, though. Like Smash's air fighting is really powerful... but it has no real counter. Either you take the fight to the air or you lose. I'd love to see air combat as a viable option, but not the only one. Maybe something like "Air > grabs > ground > air". Classic fighting game rock/paper/scissors setup there.

I do want some powerful air attacks to have awful landing lag. Like Hail Mary attacking, going for a powerful move, and then the opponent read that and spot-dodged. Congrats, you are now at his mercy!

Well then that's where you have it so that you only have reduced landing lag if you connect or hit a shield but if the other person spot dodges or you just whiff in general then you're open to a punish.

Like I've said, you can have a good ground game without nerfing aerials.

Meh, Zer0's a brawl player, and we all know how they play, so I was fully expecting that kind of boring shit from him, I just wasn't expecting the new game to reward defensive play so much that he'd win it.

Tan

where is that gif of the ledge mechanic

gPFf1Q.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
JoeInky, I send you a PM. Just toss it out if you didn't notice the notification

Anyway, I have a feeling that we are getting 8 colors per characters this time.

FleenerW

Again, some people solve puzzles, some give up: Is there REALLY nothing your opponent can do?

It's too easy to just go "impossible!" in a fit of emotions, but if you want to really plumb the depths of a game and often reach an insane new layer you didn't even know previously existed, you're better off cooling your head and asking yourself genuinely "how can I approach this?" From there, you experiment and you find out the answer. You even try to use the offending tactic yourself to get a better understanding of it.

I think it's silly to look down on people doing what's necessary in order to win, but l also think it's silly to pretend that camping in Smash requires a lot of strategic effort. Overswarm already admitted he plays this way to overcome his own shortcomings.

You said that people against camping are just "giving up", but I think the reverse is what's true. People utilizing camping "gave up" on trying to learn the advanced tech.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What makes you say that? I haven't been paying much attention to the palette swaps.

Just a hutch.

Mario got Pink and Blue colors based on this game.

QUyJo2G.jpg

Also I can't really see any colors that would take out of smash bros since they came from the games. Wario color is in Demo as well.

Alt-mario3.jpg

JoeInky

JoeInky, I send you a PM. Just toss it out if you didn't notice the notification

Anyway, I have a feeling that we are getting 8 colors per characters this time.

Sorry I didn't notice it due to how fast this thread was moving and the fact that I was cooking.

I know that people need to tell the right people more than just complaining about it on forums, but I have hope that all the people who actually got to play it and the competitive players will all have relayed their concerns about the game.

And it's really hard to just hope for the best just because of how badly I got burned with brawl and the thought of the smash community staying this insular thing spread across 3 different games for another god knows how many years when it could be something so much more breaks my heart.

And hearing people say that it doesn't matter or that I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining really gets on my nerve sometimes and brings out the elitist in me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry I didn't notice it due to how fast this thread was moving and the fact that I was cooking.

I know that people need to tell the right people more than just complaining about it on forums, but I have hope that all the people who actually got to play it and the competitive players will all have relayed their concerns about the game.

And it's really hard to just hope for the best just because of how badly I got burned with brawl and the thought of the smash community staying this insular thing spread across 3 different games for another god knows how many years when it could be something so much more breaks my heart.

And hearing people say that it doesn't matter or that I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining really gets on my nerve sometimes and brings out the elitist in me.

I truly understand where you came from. Hopefully devs would read the comments and feedbacks from the players that went over there. I wonder if Max have spoke to Nintendo Rep about it? Did Max gave them the feedbacks or so?

I think it's silly to look down on people doing what's necessary in order to win, but l also think it's silly to pretend that camping in Smash requires a lot of strategic effort. Overswarm already admitted he plays this way to overcome his own shortcomings.

You said that people against camping are just "giving up", but I think the reverse is what's true. People utilizing camping "gave up" on trying to learn the advanced tech.

I think there's a big difference between playing to your strengths versus throwing the fight or your pad ;D

Anyhoo, if stalling doesn't require skill/strategy then I suggest you go find M2K, get him to let you hit him first and see how long your stall lasts. Then try reversing the situation. I think you might find the results of these two tests will likely differ quuuuuiiiite significantly :3
Just because you don't personally see the attributes involved in something, does not mean they don't exist :p

Revven

I truly understand where you came from. Hopefully devs would read the comments and feedbacks from the players that went over there. I wonder if Max have spoke to Nintendo Rep about it? Did Max gave them the feedbacks or so?

Just like everyone else at E3 said there were Nintendo reps on the show floor asking for feedback and Max gave them his feedback and they will route it to the team. However, Max said that he doubts the game will change much at this stage based on the feedback because of the general Japanese culture Sakurai is driven on and such (that he takes probably a great amount of pride in how the game is right now etc etc.)

You can find the post a few pages back, I'm too lazy to quote it.

Cse

Banned
Probably posted already, but here are a bunch of 1v1 videos of Doom, Keitaro and CT Chibo playing, with commentary from D1 and a mix of others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBphKbeMXws&list=PLlIHVxA7UoL1b9OwOj4Ci13oWKu8KFb9N

Actually looks pretty good

The game seems to have so much potential if the landing lag would just get a major reduction.

They actually complain about it in the Greninja vs Rosalina match. I really hope it's reduced in the retail version.

Going to sudden death was much more exciting than just finishing it off normally though. Your argument really doesn't make sense when he actually put on more of a show in addition to winning.

It would have been exciting if it went to SD because Zero and Hbox were fighting to the end and just couldn't beat each other. Instead, it went to SD because Zero spent the end of the match running away. It felt artificial.

Meh, Zer0's a brawl player, and we all know how they play, so I was fully expecting that kind of boring shit from him, I just wasn't expecting the new game to reward defensive play so much that he'd win it.

Good Lord. The ending was hilarious though.

It would have been exciting if it went to SD because Zero and Hbox were fighting to the end and just couldn't beat each other. Instead, it went to SD because Zero spent the end of the match running away. It felt artificial.

It was barely any time though lol. You're overreacting.

Anyway, anyone have any movesets for the Chorus Men? What do you think the Rhythm Heaven stage will look like?

It was barely any time though lol. You're overreacting.

Anyway, anyone have any movesets for the Chorus Men? What do you think the Rhythm Heaven stage will look like?

im kinda hoping they have some kind of rhythm game playing the background similar to the elctroplankton stage but way more organized?

Melee vs. Brawl all over again.

This is gonna be another fun X amount of years.

in the end i can understand both sides of the coin everyone just wants a fun game

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just like everyone else at E3 said there were Nintendo reps on the show floor asking for feedback and Max gave them his feedback and they will route it to the team. However, Max said that he doubts the game will change much at this stage based on the feedback because of the general Japanese culture Sakurai is driven on and such (that he takes probably a great amount of pride in how the game is right now etc etc.)

You can find the post a few pages back, I'm too lazy to quote it.

Alright, I will dig back and re-read what he had to says.

This thread has gotten way too serious. :(

It might be serious for other couple of days but we should be back to fun ole day when POTD start this monday. :)

Hylian7

Just played at Best Buy. I got to play both 3DS and Wii U.

I played 3DS first, I have to say GOT DAYUM, that frame rate. The 60 FPS was confirmed in the direct obviously, but man it was impressive to see. I played Mega Man and it was a timed match against an AI. It was on the NSMB stage, which was pretty cool, and there seems to be some coin collecting aspect to it. The game handled well. Circle Pad was easy to do Smash attacks with. October 3 can't come and sooner.

On Wii U I played Wii Fit Trainer. Doing the deep breathing took some getting used to, as I screwed it up on the first few attempts. Her arsenal is really cool though. Her Up+B gives more lift than I thought it did.

As for the physics, I thought it felt like a middle ground of Melee and Brawl. I actually killed the Brawl air dodges (despite that they prevent wave dashing).

They had everyone playing on Pro Controllers, and that felt great.

The game is great and I can't wait for both versions.

I have a question, actually.

If Sakurai notes the changes people have asked for and still decides to keep the game the way he designed it (assuming these are conscious decisions) for the summer events, what would your reaction be?

Finally got to play.

People always state they are not used to the pro controller/3ds layout but always fail to mention why there is such a massive issue. Well, i am going to tell you why: b is b, a is a, exactly like the virtual console nightmare. Doing the recovery move with the lowest button on the controller is not muscle memory.

With that said, knowing that aerials are laggy and ground moves are strong, i attempted a strategy i knew nobody else would: stay on the ground as much as possible and try to hit people as they came down, ideally with up tilts.

Of course thay failed, because up = jump and the joypad is very sensitive. In the end thouhh, i got to landmaster which is nice i suppose.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

If Sakurai notes the changes people have asked for and still decides to keep the game the way he designed it (assuming these are conscious decisions) for the summer events, what would your reaction be?

Disappointment. I thought Brawl was a mistake (gameplaywise) and I also got bored of it much faster than Melee. I play lame but I like to watch offense more and its also more fun to play defensive in a game where offense is a reliable approach to fighting.

Also that there is nothing that can be done and I feel like any attempts at balance patching would make Smash discussions miserable (or more miserable than they already can be).

Its easier to deal with gameplay problems if you think the devs just arent listening tbh.

Finally got to play.

People always state they are not used to the pro controller/3ds layout but always fail to mention why there is such a massive issue. Well, i am going to tell you why: b is b, a is a, exactly like the virtual console nightmare. Doing the recovery move with the lowest button on the controller is not muscle memory.

With that said, knowing that aerials are laggy and ground moves are strong, i attempted a strategy i knew nobody else would: stay on the ground as much as possible and try to hit people as they came down, ideally with up tilts.

Of course thay failed, because up = jump and the joypad is very sensitive. In the end thouhh, i got to landmaster which is nice i suppose.
What controller were you using before? The wii remote on its side?

JoeInky

Play smash 4 for 2 months with friends, then cry about having to go back to P:M because it would be much harder to get a local tournament scene set up when it's based around a mod that can't be easily used on UK wiis and doesn't have the pizazz of a flashy new release on an HD console.

Before the invitational I really wanted to give it a good go at becoming a TO for smash 4 in the UK because the scene around here is incredibly small, but after it I'm quite worried.

Finally got to play.

ee890Od.jpg

?!

Cse

Banned

Complete and utter confusion.

Smash is a party game first, of course. That doesn't mean players shouldn't have fluid and precise control over their characters.

Reducing landing lag would benefit everyone. It wouldn't make the game "more hardcore" or less accessible.

My impression of Sakurai is that he is an incredibly talented, dedicated, and passionate developer. However, he also appears to be quite obstinate.

My only hope is that the retail version of the game features far less landing lag, because I really do think that this single change could have a major effect on the way the game is played.

Top Bottom