• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

Is the stale moves negation dramatically increased in this demo? Is it really a huge problem? Honestly, I barely ever noticed it in Brawl, but maybe that's because a lot of my KOs come from items lol

Daouzin

I wouldn't say that, there's been a lot of people at each other's throats. Definitely at least a little worse than usual.

Yeah, I fear this is happening because the competitive sides feels like something HAS to happen and nothing is, mean while casuals are probably scared that the competitive side will influence too much or ruin the positive vibe.

I think this will only get worse as more competitive players start watching more videos and read more competitive player write ups. The game is sooo close to what we want, that it's becoming a big tease. We don't want to be stuck playing Melee and PM, but in our opinion a game is either good for competitive or it isn't.

Someone posted overswarms writeup for like the 8th time and it got me worked up to the point where I probably started posting a bit too much at everyone who was agreeing with it.

honestly people might be posting it because not everyone would get there news at the same time also i liked his overlook and i dont think its wrong if some people agree with him nor do i think its wrong if they disagree with them but come on dood getting worked up because some people found the read interesting seems a tad off. I get that you and a whole lot of people want the game to succeed and want the game to be fun but not everyone will see your views. I dont know to me personally it just seems everyone has similar and different opinions about the whole thing and it just seems it really wont end well in the long run. anyway if this gets your feathers ruffled i didnt mean for it to.

Spinluck

He misunderstood the point. The Invitational was a fun little tournament to show off the game. Stalling like that didn't put on a good show. Zero took it too seriously; he missed the point of the Invitational.

To be honest, Hungrybox didn't really persue him after a few attempts, and I took that as a mutual agreement to take it to sudden death. I would've chased his ass down.

Damn that stage is gorgeous.

I'm glad he was playing as Luigi. I haven't seen many people talking about him, and I want to know how my main is faring in Smash 4. Looks like his forward smash and back air are lethal as ever. Also, lol at the announcer calling him Weegee.

im hoping his kick spike taunt of death will be intact because it was amazing o_O

also completely unrelated but i hope they keep ganondorfs down air stomp thing its not very good but man was it satisfying when it hit

Just realized something...we'll have to get through this shit again when it actually releases......both times. Smh

honestly i think this is impossible to avoid with any game. I always get that feeling that the design choice of the designer will always clash with some people and work with others i think this is just to be expected in the arts and entertainment industry :T

Tan

Just realized something...we'll have to get through this shit again when it actually releases......both times. Smh

I'm not sure what exactly you're refer to but there will be disagreements when any game comes out. There are ways to have a healthy arguement. There are some examples here and there are some examples of unhealthy arguments here as well.

Yup! Less landing lag is the new Ridley basically.

Well it is a big issue.

SuperSah

Banned
In the Spirit Train video I just linked:

The over world remix is awesome and Toon Link's FS is seen at the end of the video.

I'll leave y'all to find out what it is. ;)

Toxi

Banned
Wow, the demo crashed at the end of our second round and it's not stopped crashing since then. I feel sorry for the folks behind us.

Game still feels weird; aerials are seriously clunky. Little Mac is incredibly fun.

Second try at both versions, and I will say that overall, the 3DS one is way more polished and will be an enjoyable game at launch
Closer to launch I think. The Wii U will be pushing to hit 2014. I can imagine it getting pushed to Feb. 2015 luke Tropical Freeze.

Also, such toxic. I will be back when the roster is revealed to see how close I was...

FleenerW

I don't know though, perhaps you were a camper extraordinary who ruled servers with such ease you became bored of it and vowed never to do it again... or perhaps you were one of my vocal detractors.
Actually I've never complained if someone is stalling or edge-hogging me, because like I said, I don't mind someone doing whatever is necessary to win. I've won against people who edge-hog without doing it in return, though. Even though I consider it a legitimate tactic it would feel like a hollow victory to me. Just personal preference -- I still look forward to playing everyone regardless of their playstyle!

I'm not sure what exactly you're refer to but there will be disagreements when any game comes out. There are ways to have a healthy arguement. There are some examples here and there are some examples of unhealthy arguments here as well.
Most games don't have two fanbases that seek the utter destruction of one another.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Most games don't have two fanbases that seek the utter destruction of one another.

I dont know about the casual side but if competitive scene wanted the casuals gone, when would the new talent come from? Also Melee totally didnt sell 7 million copies or anything.

Is this you?:

Miiverse is basically Smashboards, only they care about the roster instead of the physics.

tumblr_n72xt6qlHs1swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n72xt6qlHs1swll5zo2_r1_500.jpg

actually i wouldnt be surprised if every fan base just seeks to destroy one another i think it just boils down to having different passions and certainly very different views on what makes things fun. Personally i dont think its bad at all and people have been pretty respectful (tensions are rising a lot though).

JoeInky

Competitive players want things that don't affect casuals enjoyment in a negative way.

Casual players don't want them to add things that would increase competitive players enjoyment.

I don't want the casual audience to be removed from smash but it sure feels like the other side either want us removed or just don't care either way.

Riki

Are we really going to cry about the opinion of people that haven't played the game?
Are we really going to let people that call the 16 competitors corporate shills have a valid opinion?
Are we really doing this?

Mr Buddy

In the Spirit Train video I just linked:

The over world remix is awesome and Toon Link's FS is seen at the end of the video.

I'll leave y'all to find out what it is. ;)
I'm so disappointed that they didn't change his :/ if anyone deserved a new one, it was toon link

Beats

Can Wii Fit trainer followup with anything after her jab combo plants the opponent into the ground? I was watching a couple of videos and I didn't see anyone try, so I'm wondering if there's enough time for her to do anything.

I dont know about the casual side but if competitive scene wanted the casuals gone, when would the new talent come from? Also Melee totally didnt sell 7 million copies or anything.
I view many of the things that some on the competitive side want to be in a poison to what makes Smash fun to me, a casual. Thusly they are attempting to destroy the Smash I know the love.

On the opposite side competitive believe that not changing things to what they want is an attempt to or will kill their scene.

Sometime I wish Melee never existed or wasn't so broken so that this argument never started in the first place.

Are we really going to cry about the opinion of people that haven't played the game?
Are we really going to let people that call the 16 competitors corporate shills have a valid opinion?
Are we really doing this?

to be fair there has been people wh played the game and their impressions have been mixed
to negative to positive (albeit mostly on the 3ds version)

i think every opinion is fair and to knock out discussion isnt really fair at all (or maybe im misunderstanding a bit)

in the end i think its up to everyone to make their own impressions ( im hoping that nintendo releases some kind of demo to give those people who didnt get to try it chance)

I view many of the things that some on the competitive side want to be in a poison to what makes Smash fun to me, a casual. Thusly they are attempting to destroy the Smash I know the love.

On the opposite side competitive believe that not changing things to what they want is an attempt to or will kill their scene.

Sometime I wish Melee never existed or wasn't so broken so that this argument never started in the first place.

honestly thats not really a fair view at all granted i didnt really have fun with melee myself either almost lost a lot of friends because of it actually. But its not fair to say melee had suddenly caused smash to become bad. Competition will be in any game and i welcome it i think its always something good to have as well. My main gripe is when people are asking for a melee 2.0 or something to that degree when that just wont happen

Popnbake

Rainbow Road Direct feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbFJzUgD6_Q

Spirit Train Direct feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW2ou2EXzTo

How do you guys enjoy the music?

If Smash 3DS was releasing soon instead of Oct. 3rd, I would seriously be considering getting it from the gameplay vids.

Other than the discussion about balance patches, what other suggestions could be considered poison for casual players?

JoeInky

There's that word, "broken".

Can you tell me which aspects of melee were broken that would suddenly make it a bad competitive game if they were removed?

I'm interested in hearing how much you actually know considering all the bullshit you spout, or if it's just going to be "oh noes wavedashing!".

Riki

It looks faster than Brawl, and that's really the only thing that matters.
The tournament made it look fast and chaotic.

Toxi

Banned
Then don't play with them? Smash is a game of options. I play with stock because time sucks.

What was broken about Melee? How did this negatively impact your enjoyment?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think people need to take their time to breath and trying to discuss things more civil.

I think it's enough is enough with tensions because it's causing too much toxic feelings here, and I think people need to stop shitting on smashboard. It's their problem, not our place to talking about them since we are no better as them right now.

Calm down and take a breath then let discuss things throughly and calm please. Just for SmashGAFs' sakes.

Tookay

I don't really care about casual or competitive. I haven't wave-dashed or L-cancelled in my life...

I just thought that Brawl was sort of a slow, overly defensive game that didn't leave much room for movement options or strategy, and thus was boring to watch/play after a prolonged period of time.

I want ridiculous items, crazy assist characters, final smashes, etc., all in. I don't want to destroy casual smash.

I just don't want it to be boring again and I'm afraid it will be.

GRW810

I've got two dilemmas with Smash Bros 4.

1) Do I really need both versions? (I really want that answer to be yes, believe me).

2) If I only got one version, which to get? Wii U will look amazing and more traditional and comfortable to play. 3DS is portable and something of a novelty, with exclusive modes.

Hopefully Nintendo run a promotion for ordering both, which will ensure I get each.

Cachuli

Banned
I think people need to take their time to breath and trying to discuss things more civil.

I think it's enough is enough with tensions because it's causing too much toxic feelings here, and I think people need to stop shitting on smashboard. It's their problem, not our place to talking about them since we are no better as them right now.

Calm down and take a breath then let discuss things throughly and calm please. Just for SmashGAFs' sakes.

naeKMdK.gif

Other than the discussion about balance patches, what other suggestions could be considered poison for casual players?
It seems that everything the competitive side wants changed is not an upgrade or anything like it, it is a regression. They want this to be Melee 2.0, in their heart of hearts they know that's want they really want because every suggestion comes from the melee angle or will make it play more like Melee. They do not want to learn a new game or discover new techs, they do not want Smash to progress onto the future. They want the game to play just like Melee except with new characters and stages.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It seems that everything the competitive side wants changed is not an upgrade or anything like it, it is a regression. They want this to be Melee 2.0, in their heart of hearts they know that's want they really want because every suggestion comes from the melee angle or will make it play more like Melee. They do not want to learn a new game or discover new techs, they do not want Smash to progress onto the future. They want the game to play just like Melee except with new characters and stages.

Is Melee a regression because it was the second game in the series and this is the fourth?

ummm no i think your looking at it wrong dood i think for a lot of them they know that they wont get a melee 2.0 nor have they asked for it :T. I think their complaints are as fair as anyones and getting riled up about it isnt going to do you any favors.

Is Melee a regression because it was the second game in the series and this is the fourth?

in some ways i always felt that sakurais mind set was to improve on something the work he had before

i presume hes worked on all 4 smash brothers and to him melee was his improvement to smash 64 but when the wii came out he wanted to change up what he had wether he himself deemed melee or even 64 as a faliure and tried out a new system. It seems smash 4 might be like that as well its him trying to improve what brawl was and to try and evolve it. But hey i dont know the guy and he just loves to troll everybody lol

Top Bottom