• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pics_nao

Alright guys, obviously anything could change, but if this is indeed our final list of newcomers:

How do you feel Smash 4 did with it's newcomer selection? I made this picture so you try and think of the newcomers as a whole, not just the ones leaked.

Pretty excited except for Lucina.
My waifu deserves to be unique BibleThump

How do leakers get found out by the way?
If they were to leak all of this stuff at a McDonald's, for instance, is there any way their leaks could be traced back to them?

NotLiquid

Hey everyone!

I feel like too many people are ignoring/skipping over this. DLC is pretty much our only chance of additional characters:

If this was an E3 ratings video, the roster is final.

If it's footage from one of the three or more playtesters, it may not be final... but this is unlikely.

I'm going to be "that" guy reading into things, but;

Along with the written submission materials, publishers must provide a DVD that captures all pertinent content. This includes typical gameplay, missions, and cutscenes, along with the most extreme instances of content across all relevant categories including but not limited to violence, language, sex, controlled substances and gambling. Pertinent content that is not playable (i.e., "locked out") but will exist in the game code on the final game disc must also be disclosed.

The bolded is what matters the most here and what's important is the "typical gameplay" part. ESRB wants a comprehensive look at the entire whole of Smash Bros and what it all constitutes. This is why you aren't seeing playable videos of every single character in the leaks. You'd think we'd have footage of Duck Hunt by now if that was the case.

The second part doesn't refer to unlockable content, it refers to locked code.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think that costume would be in the ESRB footage for sure, but what's too say we have everything from it? We can only confirm what is there, not what isn't. Especially something that's old information, the leaker probably wouldn't go out of the way to show off a picture of it.

But I did find it odd that among all the risque trophy shots there were no in game pics of upskirts etc shared at all.
Well I'm just taking two bits of information we "know" of:
1. Sakurai says the ZSS costumes are rather new.
2. Word on the grapevine is the leaked footage is couple of months old.

So one could conclude the outfits are more recent than the footage.

I fear the tradition of upskirts is gone. RIP panties. ;__;7

It's also not hard to take a screenshot of the incomplete CSS. If all star mode wasn't unlocked in the video, whose to say everything else was unlocked?
It flat out shows them with a mostly incomplete 'challenges' screen, and some of the trophy bios are blank and lacking a character icon when they should logically have one.

It's an old build and it wasn't all the unlocked content, just whatever was currently available in whatever build they recorded for the ESRB. Is there anything stipulating that you can't send in more than one video to the ESRB or any other rating's board as a game's development progresses?

J@hranimo

Banned
Why would anyone throw away their job doing this?

For the Americans!

Having to wait over a month for a game that Japan will get in half of the time! *Shakes fist*

I'm being facetious, but yeah it does seem crazy he would just do this. It does make sense that Nintendo of America seized the youtube videos, not Nintendo in Japan. Hmmm, ulterior motives.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How do leakers get found out by the way?
If they were to leak all of this stuff at a McDonald's, for instance, is there any way their leaks could be traced back to them?
Well they knew it was related to the ESRB and they probably have a record of all present for the footage and basically they could narrow it down from there.

Mistle

Well is it true that the video was circulating within a small group of insiders or something?

While it's still illegal, maybe he/she REALLY trusted these people, but ultimately somebody had to break that trust.

georly

Could the guy get into more trouble if he continued to leak? Or would it not make a difference because the damage was already done?

I'd think more trouble, it's like the equivalent of resisting arrest. Just an extra charge to tack on. "We told you to stop, but then you didn't"

emb

It's also not hard to take a screenshot of the incomplete CSS. If all star mode wasn't unlocked in the video, whose to say everything else was unlocked?
Yeah, it can go either way. I'm just saying that seeing a locked All Star mode isn't proof of an incomplete roster or anything.

Though I am under the assumption that the CSS was full, because low expectations.

Azure J

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank the leaker, you're awesome for doing this. Nintendo is just taking far too long for my likings with that 3ds smash direct. What you(the leaker) has provided us with is far more than I think nintendo would've even given us when they do decide to do the Direct. So thank you, you made me more hyped for the game :) Also, pls, Mewtwo.

OK, I know we were all looking forward to more information than a regular PoTD would give us but you do realize that this guy isn't some saviour and you would have gotten that information without fail fairly soon right?

Dude violated a TON of NDAs and the trust of quite a few people just for 10 minutes of fame for being the one going "I told you so/I have the receipts." The lawsuit is going to be a bonus.

Durden77

*hug*

Never give up hope.

That's the worst part about it, I can't. Even now I'm thinking up theories.

Like, Sakurai said he was nearing the bottom of his newcomer trailers, and I find it hard to believe that we still have at least 4 more unannounced newcomers in general.

So.....maybe the last 5 are the vets....

empty.gif

Seriously? I mean, the leak IS exciting, but... I can't help wish everything was kept secret. Imagine the reactions and such when a Duck Hunt Dog trailer was revealed, all in the moment, with no trickle of leaks beforehand. And now it won't even have confirmation excitement, it'll just be, "oh, cool trailer!"

I'm dead serious. If we lived in my ideal world we'd know the entire cast the day the game is announced. Then I can focus more on being excited to see how characters look and play instead of being PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN! Cause I already know if the characters i want are in or not

Not

Banned
I'm going to be "that" guy reading into things, but;

The bolded is what matters the most here and what's important is the "typical gameplay" part. ESRB wants a comprehensive look at the entire whole of Smash Bros and what it all constitutes. This is why you aren't seeing playable videos of every single character in the leaks. You'd think we'd have footage of Duck Hunt by now if that was the case.

The second part doesn't refer to unlockable content, it refers to locked code.

If this is true, why choose to include some unlockable characters in the DVD and not others?

Jintor

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank the leaker, you're awesome for doing this. Nintendo is just taking far too long for my likings with that 3ds smash direct. What you(the leaker) has provided us with is far more than I think nintendo would've even given us when they do decide to do the Direct. So thank you, you made me more hyped for the game :) Also, pls, Mewtwo.

I agree with this.

Christ. Ssb is the only series to provide a constant drip feed of information out there but players just want more, more, more. How depressing. Why even bother.

Malfunky

I'm not the least bit bothered by leaks, but you're wrong lol. This does harm Nintendo's marketing in a rather drastic way. Being able to control the time and manner of certain information distribution is key in maintaining hype and interest in a game. There are plenty of people who might care less about a Bowser Jr. reveal video two weeks down the line now that they already know he's in the game. That's just a minor example too.

Bottom line is if this guy entered into an agreement to not disclose this shit and he did, then he fully deserve any legal action taken against him.

The impact will be negligible. They have budgets set aside for marketing, regardless of whether or not it is positively received. The game's sales are what matter in the long run, and this game will be huge.

And sure, if you base your morality on technical contracts produced by giant corporations and signed by force (coercion by threatening job security and legal action IS force), he deserves it. But if you're a human being capable of empathy, he doesn't!

Tan

I'm dead serious. If we lived in my ideal world we'd know the entire cast the day the game is announced. Then I can focus more on being excited to see how characters look and play instead of being PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN PLS GOD LET MEWTWO BE IN! Cause I already know if the characters i want are in or not

word. Now that the characters are out there we can talk about what's important: how they play.

Fiktion

Banned

From what I've gathered, he originally shared it with a small group of internet friends who were not supposed to let it get further than that. It's supposedly been in circulation for months among those individuals, which is how we got the text leaks.

Ironically enough, someone ended up betraying his trust.

Who knows, and for only three weeks of advance knowledge.

15 mins of fame probably =/

S/he probably didnt even thought that this would happen

Probably thinks/thought he was careful enough to not be tracked down.

Would probably get into more trouble. At least, I'd expect so.

For the Americans!

Having to wait over a month for a game that Japan will get in half of the time! *Shakes fist*

I'm being facetious, but yeah it does seem crazy he would just do this. It does make sense that Nintendo of America seized the youtube videos, not Nintendo in Japan. Hmmm, ulterior motives.

Well is it true that the video was circulating within a small group of insiders or something?

While it's still illegal, maybe he/she REALLY trusted these people, but ultimately somebody had to break that trust.

Man if I had this info and a job at Nintendo, I would be so tight lipped it wouldn't even be funny. Especially if you have a family to support.

georly

That's the worst part about it, I can't. Even now I'm thinking up theories.

My theory is that they couldn't arrange a time to record VO w/ Kiefer, so they had to delay his inclusion. They would have used another VO, but Konami wouldn't let them. So when Kiefer is available to start recording, they'll add him in as DLC later.

:)

CHIO'S+HAND+CIELO+I+BLOG.jpg

xaszatm

Banned

So you are excited that this leaker, who isn't the one being punished as the leaker is a guy the original "leaker" trusted, pretty much screwed his friend out of a job and tarnished his reputation forever all so you could know what the roster was. Yeah. What a hero.

daxgame

Christ. Ssb is the only series to provide a constant drip feed of information out there but players just want more, more, more. How depressing. Why even bother.

a constant drip feed? Oh come on. People just want stuff they can talk about, not shitty new items reveal or whatever.
The damn game is coming in less than a month and we're not even allowed to know all the characters?
Thank you, leaker-san.

Jintor

My theory is that they couldn't arrange a time to record VO w/ Kiefer, so they had to delay his inclusion. They would have used another VO, but Konami wouldn't let them. So when Kiefer is available to start recording, they'll add him in as DLC later.

:)

Rip codec conversations

Unless it's all Miller talking to himself

Mistle

a constant drip feed? Oh come on. People just want stuff they can talk about, not shitty new items reveal or whatever.
The damn game is coming in less than a month and we're not even allowed to know all the characters?
Thank you, leaker-san.
You do realise most games have a few trailers and that's it?

Not

Banned
I guess I just don't get why Nintendo wouldn't include all of the characters in the ESRB video if they still included ones that haven't been revealed yet, like DHD, Shulk, and Bowser Jr.

Because not every character gets completed at the same rate as another?

But by the time ESRB stuff is sent out, you'd think the roster would be final, no?

How does it hurt the development team? They made the game, their wages are getting paid.

Does a man really deserve to get his life ruined by a giant corporation (Who has a history of antitrust and monopolization charges against it. Why root for Goliath?) because he is excited to share information to people, like those in this thread, who eat it up at his expense? Is he profitting at all?

Like you said, the game is coming out in a couple weeks. Marketing isn't harmed. None of this is even confirmed. I bet the marketing team will still update the website and Miiverse just as planned. I can imagine Sakurai is a bit perturbed, but if it's enough to want to go after some nameless employee and sue him for more than he's worth? He can get over it.

Leakers are good shit in my book. For both the consumer and in this case, Nintendo. It's amazing free marketing, judging by the enormity of the response to this thread and throughout the internet.
I'm not the least bit bothered by leaks, but you're wrong lol. This does harm Nintendo's marketing in a rather drastic way. Being able to control the time and manner of certain information distribution is key in maintaining hype and interest in a game. There are plenty of people who might care less about a Bowser Jr. reveal video two weeks down the line now that they already know he's in the game. That's just a minor example too.

Bottom line is if this guy entered into an agreement to not disclose this shit and he did, then he fully deserve any legal action taken against him.

I kind of understand your uncontrollable thirst for information, but I find actual character reveals to be much more exciting than a bunch of blurry shots on 4chan.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The impact will be negligible. They have budgets set aside for marketing, regardless of whether or not it is positively received. The game's sales are what matter in the long run, and this game will be huge.

And sure, if you base your morality on technical contracts produced by giant corporations and signed by force (coercion by threatening job security and legal action IS force), he deserves it. But if you're a human being capable of empathy, he doesn't!
So should I be more empathic to the leaker or the rest of the Nintendo staff, including Sakurai, who likely did not like their work ruined in such a way. They likely enjoy surprising fans with the videos and that element is gone.

If anything the leaker is just selfish. He deserves no empathy.

Jintor

Thank you, leaker-san.

You want the highs without any of the lows lol

OK, I know we were all looking forward to more information than a regular PoTD would give us but you do realize that this guy isn't some saviour and you would have gotten that information without fail fairly soon right?

Dude violated a TON of NDAs and the trust of quite a few people just for 10 minutes of fame for being the one going "I told you so/I have the receipts." The lawsuit is going to be a bonus.
I'm expressing gratitude, in no way do I think this guy is a savior, so good job exaggerating my post. I even acknowledged that we would've gotten the info sooner or later as well, I'm just happy we got it now rather than later cause like i said, Nintendo is taking way too long imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom