• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been discussing the leak for the entire thread. It won't end unless Sakurai reveals something that conflicts it.

Let's be honest, even if Sakurai reveals something that conflicts with it we're probably still going to be discussing the goddamn thing. None of us have any shame.

Duck Hunt Dog 4 eva

Zero173

I thought Ghirahim had a chance to be playable, not because he was all that relevant to the franchise, but because he seemed to have a decent chance at having a unique moveset. I know some people are tired of swords, but he had a sword, projectiles, magic and teleportation.

I think he would have been fun to use.....though now that I think about it, besides magic, Greninja has the same abilities I just mentioned. And I guess they could give Ganondorf some of that uniqueness if they really wanted to...

Hmmmm

SmithnCo

Have we seen any evidence of mesh changes with character alts this time around? Or is it all still just texture changes?... I feel like it's just texture changes, I remember Skyward Sword Link's texture looking really strange on the standard Smash model in one of the POTDs.

Side note, I love the colors of that NES-Link alt in Brawl :)

I think Samus' new alt changes the mesh slightly for the boots.

Then of course there are the female/male alts and stuff like Villager hair.

BvlosvAIIAAM44M.png

Ghirahim pixelart.

If anybody wants to claim this avatar, you can. Nobody has called for him.

Guys are still discussing the leak?

For real?

Of course. You realize that this isn't going to stop for a good while.

You think it will end there?

Exactly, people will find ways. Lol.

It’s time to put these nominations into high gear with our next newcomer:
zvmfak.png

Excitebiker

Oh man, he'd be a ton of fun. Being on a motorcycle would lead to a cool moveset, with doing wheelies and smacking people in the face with the rear wheel, stuff like that. His grabs would probably involve throwing you under the front wheel and revving it up for damage before shooting you out.

He'll never get in but I'd love it.

And then Mach Rider could be a bigger, slower clone! ;)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I knew I forgot something, the text that went with the picture.

Funny, I have the opposite reaction. The hand looking different supports it being real, I think. There are a million hands that coulda been pulled from videos or whatever and dropped into a fake character select screen. If the hand is artistically different in some capacity, though, it makes me think it's due to continued development time. Fakeness is supported by the presence of reused assets, not unique ones.

Neoxon

Funny, I have the opposite reaction. The hand looking different supports it being real, I think. There are a million hands that coulda been pulled from videos or whatever and dropped into a fake character select screen. If the hand is artistically different in some capacity, though, it makes me think it's due to continued development time. Fakeness is supported by the presence of reused assets, not unique ones.
Good point. Then again, I'm just the messenger.

According to that original text leak, from what I remember:

Bowser Jr fought in the clown car and had Koopalings alts (each character has 8 costumes according to the leak, so I guess there are no alt colors for Bowser Jr)

Duck Hunt let you control the dog, who attacked with the ducks in sort of a team fashion.

Shulk could change stances with his Monando, which forms changing things like speed and damage output.

Bowser Jr. in a vehicle could be really cool. The leak, if I remember, called it a Kart, but compared it to the clown car, right? I just feel like locomoting in that thing will be difficult, and if it's a clown car, won't it hover? How would they handle falling off the edge? Maybe it can only hover a few feet off the ground like Luke's landspeeder? I love the idea of getting to play as Ludwig or Iggy though. Also, I'm sure this is common knowledge, but did you guys know the koopa kids are named after punk rock icons, for the most part? Ludwig is named after Beethoven, obviously, but there's Iggy Pop, Roy Orbison, Morton Downy Jr., Wendy O Williams, Lemmy Kilmister and Larry Mullen Jr.

So, weirdly, Dog sounds basically like Rosalina and Luma, yeah? Puppeteer characters? I'm intrigued.

Yeah, OK. But what the hell is a Monado? Sounds like a Mayonnaise Tornado or something...

Fandangox

Yeah! The info put out about Bowser Jr.'s move set and alts was really intriguing to me!

Also I don't know anything about Shulk, educate me. Just another Marth clone? (I know enough to know that that pisses people off) :p

Potentially he could have:

Stance-Based moveset.
Buffs and Debuffs
Gimick about in which order you use specials against opponents.
Can see the future

I'd elaborate, but mobile.

JoeInky

Excite Biker has been my most wanted NES era newcomer by far for a while.

All those bike trick aerial attacks he could have...

Revven

Hope that happens tomorrow morning.

You all know already that the chances of a PoTD proving the leak fake/real are so low that you might as well hope there will be a Direct next week if you want this discussion to end anytime soon, right?

I mean, this thread hasn't even had any fantastically deep discussion in the last week to begin with. Finally something actually interesting happens and now people wanna stop talking about it and go back to talking about how Ghirahim's tongue is maybe too long.

I get that all the points have been punched to the ground endlessly and nothing confirms this leak as fake or real and people are going in circles all the time -- which is really silly to keep going as a discussion -- but it's arguably much better than what was being discussed before. :\

I knew I forgot something, the text that went with the picture.

All fine points, but here's the thing :\

The leaker had to get the hand graphic somewhere if it was faked, and if there are existing shots of the hand out there in the wild from the E3 build, wouldn't he or she have just used those existing shots? The fact that it's different is actually more indicative of the leak being real. Just like people were trying to say that the similarities between Mario and Dr. Mario were proof the leak was fake - I argue that if we could prove the hand image was taken from existing art it would be a point against the leak's authenticity.

Yes?

*EDIT* Aaaaand beaten by a country mile by Tathanen, sorry!

JoeInky

I'd like discussion to turn to 'IF the leak is REAL, then let's speculate about the newcomers/clones/stages"

Not enough discussion about movesets, clone differences, what the tiny stage screenshots are referencing, etc.

I made a post about a potential moveset to further differentiate Dr. Mario and tie it more into the puzzle game but nobody said anything about it so I'm guessing people just want to argue about the leak right now.

Either that or it was just a shit idea and nobody wanted to say anything, both are equally likely.

All fine points, but here's the thing :\

The leaker had to get the hand graphic somewhere if it was faked, and if there are existing shots of the hand out there in the wild from the E3 build, wouldn't he or she have just used those existing shots? The fact that it's different is actually more indicative of leak being real. Just like people were trying to say that the similarities between Mario and Dr. Mario were proof the leak was fake - I argue that if we could prove the hand image was taken from existing art it would be a point against the leak's authenticity.

Yes?

It's low-res enough that it could just as easily be from a frame of animation from one of the thousands of gameplay videos out there.

It's low-res enough that it could just as easily be from a frame of animation from one of the thousands of gameplay videos out there.

Oh absolutely. Still could have been re-used from somewhere, just pointing out that if it is, in fact, different from all previously seen art, that doesn't really suggest it's fake. It'd be easier to re-use existing assets in a fake than generate something from scratch.

georly

I made a post about a potential moveset to further differentiate Dr. Mario and tie it more into the puzzle game but nobody said anything about it so I'm guessing people just want to argue about the leak right now.

Either that or it was just a shit idea and nobody wanted to say anything, both are equally likely.

Yeah, i'd love it if the clones were MORE different, but unfortunately, I think, Lucina set the standard. We'll have to see, but I don't have high hopes for Dr Mario or Dark pit. I doubt they're Falco level of clones or Falco would be down there with them. (All of this, of course, assuming the leak is real).

Makes me wonder if the bottom row is 'clones + 3rd party' and shulk is part of the clones, though.

And, as I said before, if you add wolf next to falco, the entire row is ALL ANIMALS (ending w/ duck hunt dog), which is a neat theme.

Or the 'Don't have enough information yet to want to pin myself to one team or the other'.

#TeamUnconvinced

Blizzard

Banned
You think it will end there?
Kind of like Ridley, I'm not sure anything could ever prove or disprove something like this, which makes it somewhat difficult to discuss.

Imagine if Sakurai released a veteran with a render/pose that differs from a leak -- well, maybe Sakurai and team hastily changed render/pose to contradict the leak. It took them a couple of days which is why there was not an immediate response.

Imagine if Sakurai released the 3DS character select screen with all characters, and/or the game comes out like with a different character select screen -- well, maybe Sakurai and team changed it at the last minute to contradict the leak.

Imagine if the game comes out and Duck Hunt dog isn't there -- well, maybe Sakurai removed him, he was so angry at the leak.

Some of these responses are more Farfetch'd than others, but hopefully the point is clear -- like a sort of conspiracy theory, one can provide justifications for or against almost endlessly, even if new hard evidence seems to appear. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You all know already that the chances of a PoTD proving the leak fake/real are so low that you might as well hope there will be a Direct next week if you want this discussion to end anytime soon, right?

I mean, this thread hasn't even had any fantastically deep discussion in the last week to begin with. Finally something actually interesting happens and now people wanna stop talking about it and go back to talking about how Ghirahim's tongue is maybe too long.

I get that all the points have been punched to the ground endlessly and nothing confirms this leak as fake or real and people are going in circles all the time -- which is really silly to keep going as a discussion -- but it's arguably much better than what was being discussed before. :

I would love that if we are getting smash direct but I doubt that. It's more likely that we will get Smash Direct in two weeks.

georly

Tomorrow would be a nice time to announce a Direct. Because I want them to. :3

We have 3 weeks... you can't do a direct the week before, right? That's cutting it too close, I think. If I were a gambling man, I'd say direct next week.

SmithnCo

What? All you'd need is a veteran, new 3DS stage, or a look at more of the 3DS UI.

Ahnez

We have 3 weeks... you can't do a direct the week before, right? That's cutting it too close, I think. If I were a gambling man, I'd say direct next week.
I think there were some directs that aired just a week before release..

Is it right? :p

But seriously, I don't really foresee a veteran, tomorrow. It's only a week after Meta Knight, it's too soon.

At this point, if Sakurai won't be ramping up the character reveals then we probably won't see any more characters until launch when the full roster is revealed.

Kind of like Ridley, I'm not sure anything could ever prove or disprove something like this, which makes it somewhat difficult to discuss.

Imagine if Sakurai released a veteran with a render/pose that differs from a leak -- well, maybe Sakurai and team hastily changed render/pose to contradict the leak. It took them a couple of days which is why there was not an immediate response.

Imagine if Sakurai released the 3DS character select screen with all characters, and/or the game comes out like with a different character select screen -- well, maybe Sakurai and team changed it at the last minute to contradict the leak.

Imagine if the game comes out and Duck Hunt dog isn't there -- well, maybe Sakurai removed him, he was so angry at the leak.

Some of these responses are more Farfetch'd than others, but hopefully the point is clear -- like a sort of conspiracy theory, one can provide justifications for or against almost endlessly, even if new hard evidence seems to appear. :p

Yeah, and the thing is, none of those seem that Farfetch'd (heh) to me.

There's also the possibility that if this really was an ESRB build, the UI isn't finalized since they're only rating content, right? I'd imagine finalizing UI is pretty low on the list for a game like this. Like, they've gotta get the characters done, if they don't, that character's not in the game and that's a huge blow. But if they leave UI till the last minute and don't get it polished to the level they wanted, it's a bummer but it's not a game breaker.

I'm too invested in #TeamReal now to accept any evidence against! I was on the fence yesterday... but no more.

Blizzard

Banned
What? All you'd need is a veteran, new 3DS stage, or a look at more of the 3DS UI.
I just posted some responses people could give to two of those if they contradicted the leak.

Similarly, if a new 3DS stage was revealed, people could argue that the stage is (or was intended to be) unlockable, and wasn't included in a video to the ESRB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom