• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U NA Commercials Out Now

Ehh, I think it's the right thing to emphasis for mainstream tv audiences. Anybody who REALLY cares enough about Smash to want the GC adapter is already getting it.

It's kinda awkward to go, "You can even use the GAMECUBE controllers? Remember that? From 13 years ago? Yeah!" when you're trying to appeal to newerish kid types.

Tesseract

Banned
we almost der broos

6xmNDfV.jpg

Astarte

For me it's familiarity and the game cube controller feeling fantastic. I've spent more than a decade across the series (does project m count?) using the gamecube controller and I love how it feels in my hands. That giant A button is one of the reasons why I like it I guess :V
So I guess I should have put a personal reason as to why I said nope. Something about the pro controller doesn't really click with me I think it's the potential lack of easily accessible c-stick thumbing

DarkKyo

I saw these about a week ago. I love seeing the HD 8-player footage on a rather large HDTV. It looks amazing...

they're all bad. Not a single one was using a GC controller.
I know there is a wireless GC controller, but I don't know if it works with the WiiU.
And having people sit in front of the TV with a wired GC controller would just look weird when the real-life Smash stuff happens in the commercial

In actuality that 8 player mode is probably very little fun. Sure, it's a bit of a spectacle but you're most likely not in control of your char for like 80-90% of the time.

HardRojo

In actuality that 8 player mode is probably very little fun. Sure, it's a bit of a spectacle but you're most likely not in control of your char for like 80-90% of the time.

Seems like it's good stupid fun, just like when I used to play 99 stock Pokeballs only with my friends for the heck of it.

Pizza

I like the weird button placement of the GameCube controller. Like, for most any game. Smash uses the b button for much less than the A, so your thumb will generally rest on that main attack button, with jump a small nudge up or to the right, and recovery a little to the left.

I like the weird button placement because it makes things feel deliberate if you're able to map them comfortably. I never really liked the "four identical buttons with different uses based on position in a dumb diamond" direction controllers have gone. And the weird mirrored sticks on the pro controller make their purpose strange. You hold the controller asymmetrically to access a stick and the button inputs, moving your thumb to a natural resting place to just flick the stick and return it back down to the inputs.

Also, the c-stick is a little nub that you're able to flick for a smash attack and reposition your thumb back into the resting position for the rest of the inputs.

The little baby d-pad doesn't matter, since smash uses it for taunting: it's nice that it's little and out of the way. Also even recent games use the d-pad for menus, which are fine to navigate with the little thing.

It's simply preference, tbh. I'd never say one controller is objectively "best" but I can see where preferences come from

Dimmle

I like the weird button placement of the GameCube controller. Like, for most any game. Smash uses the b button for much less than the A, so your thumb will generally rest on that main attack button, with jump a small nudge up or to the right, and recovery a little to the left.

I like the weird button placement because it makes things feel deliberate if you're able to map them comfortably. I never really liked the "four identical buttons with different uses based on position in a dumb diamond" direction controllers have gone. And the weird mirrored sticks on the pro controller make their purpose strange. You hold the controller asymmetrically to access a stick and the button inputs, moving your thumb to a natural resting place to just flick the stick and return it back down to the inputs.

Also, the c-stick is a little nub that you're able to flick for a smash attack and reposition your thumb back into the resting position for the rest of the inputs.

The little baby d-pad doesn't matter, since smash uses it for taunting: it's nice that it's little and out of the way. Also even recent games use the d-pad for menus, which are fine to navigate with the little thing.

It's simply preference, tbh. I'd never say one controller is objectively "best" but I can see where preferences come from

This is an incredibly eloquent and detailed description that captures exactly why I prefer the GCN controller.

Top Bottom