• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
HOMYGAWD RAINBOW ROAD

Mariokart64songmariokart64mariokart64song PLEAAASEEE

Oh, wait, that's already in the MK7 arrangement. EVERYONE WINS! SQUEEEEE
I hope they are not so lazy that they just port over music. Delfino Plaza was particularly disappointing in that regard.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So... have you guys seen that Pacman in SSB4 picture going around?
Looks fake, but I like the idea. It would be cool to see Pacman in the mix.

haha I might be wrong here but that screenshot looks like it might be taken from the sonic trailer and someone put a pacman render in

Qurupeke

Here is the 3DS pic:

daily.jpg

Looks like from Mario Kart 7.

3DS stage? Damn it...

SuperSah

Banned
Lol at the hate because it's on 3DS...

I'm very happy! MK7's RR is the best and I can't wait to fight on that.

I think the 3DS stages are a little more interesting than Wii U ones so far, barring Galaxy stage.

Toxi

Banned
I wonder if Kenji Yamamoto is bored with remixing the Ridley theme.

It was weird when we got two of them in Brawl. I like both, but maybe they could have abandoned Meta-Ridley and gone with a different Prime theme in the interest of variety?

Pic of the day. Happy Holidays! Here's a new 3DS stage--Rainbow Road! It can't be explained in one picture, but it's going to be a cruise-type stage.

Took him a bit, but here's the quote:

"Pic of the day. Happy Holidays! Here's a new 3DS stage--Rainbow Road! It can't be explained in one picture, but it's going to be a cruise-type stage."

Toxi

Banned
Pic of the day. Happy Holidays! Here's a new 3DS stage--Rainbow Road! It can't be explained in one picture, but it's going to be a cruise-type stage.
...Oh God no.

I hate Rainbow Cruise so much. I don't care if it's balanced or not, I just hate playing on it with three other people because there's so little room and everyone's trying to move to the same spot.

Hopefully Rainbow Road will be more enjoyable.

EDIT: The Smash Bros Thread 3 is back on the front page. Fucking scary.

SuperSah

Banned

Yay! I hope that means we'll get a second shot soon.

3DS is pretty capable then, with moving stages, Rosalina+Luma's complex moveset, I'm happy they're barely gimping it.

What are cruise stage like? I don't remember them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Happy Holidays? Quick, someone inform Gonzo The Great that Sakurai is part of NoA's anti Christmas campaign!

SuperSah

Banned
If you look at this on a 3DS screen, see Miiverse, you can get an idea of scale, and these characters are pretty big actually on-screen.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Personally I'm more fond of people labelling him an egotistical maniac who plays favorites with his own franchises, because otherwise nobody would've ever wanted Dedede or Meta Knight in a Smash game.

At the very least I think we can all agree he's got an agenda against Mario as evidenced by his fucking HORRIBLE final smash.

SuperSah

Banned
Here's a run-down of confirmed stages then:

Wii U:

Garden of Hope
Pyrosphere
Battlefield
Galaxy Stage
Windy Hills
Pilotwings
Dr. Wily Castle
Skyloft
Smashville
Boxing Arena
Wii Fit room

3DS:

Spirit Tracks
Battlefield
Nintendogs
Kid Icarus Uprising
Rainbow Road
Animal Crossing
Find Mii (StreetPass)
Mario 3D Land
Arena Ferox
Gerudo Valley
Underground Stage

Dr. Buni

Nintendo really should just cancel the 3DS version.
Will people stop saying this? No, Nintendo should not cancel the 3DS version.

Portable Smash is best Smash. Plus, it is t he only version that will actually sell, the Wii U version will very likely flop.

Oblivion

Oblivion

Lame question, but is anyone else hoping for new sound effects? I've always hated that sweeping sound that came out of Metaknight's and Pit's attacks.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm just saying what everyone's thinking.

There are actually people here who want the 3DS game, and considering Wii U's massive
flopping state, it'd actually be wise to cut that version.

Anyway, both seem to be coming along well, the Wii U game looks great, the 3DS game looks great, so can we all drop this "omg cut 3ds" bullshit because neither version appears to be gimped because of the other.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Lame question, but is anyone else hoping for new sound effects? I've always hated that sweeping sound that came out of Metaknight's and Pit's attacks.

Yeah, I didn't like the sweepy sound effects. The sounds you hear during the Developer Direct are so good so far (especially the KO explosion sound). Everything sounds more heavy.

Toxi

Banned
Smash 64 had the most satisfying hit sounds. Explosives were the best though. Multiple Bob-ombs going off in one spot sounded so powerful.
I know. It was so good and then Melee sounded weaker and now Brawl sounds like marshmallows hitting each other.

At the very least I think we can all agree he's got an agenda against Mario as evidenced by his fucking HORRIBLE final smash.
I thought Zero-Suit Samus had the worst final smash.

Qurupeke

Will people stop saying this? No, Nintendo should not cancel the 3DS version.

Portable Smash is best Smash. Plus, it is t he only version that will actually sell, the Wii U version will very likely flop.

I don't have a problem with the 3DS version but I'm certainly a bit pessimistic about it. And I can certainly see why someone. And no, portable smash isn't the best smash. Certainly not. What I like about the series is the multiplayer "party" like atmosphere. It's a lot easier to play on the big screen with 3 other people than playing on the 3DS screen with the need of 3 other 3DSes along with (probably) 3 other game cards. Moreover, I just can't see a huge fan of the series not buying the Wii U version, sooner or later. It's the superior version and that's a fact.

I'm just afraid that Sakurai might downgrade it and limit it in order make the two versions equal. But really, that's a dumb thing. It's almost certain that both will have the same number of fighters and I guess the same number of items, assist trophies, pokeballs etc. The Wii U version may have more stages though, but that's not confirmed at all. That means that the main difference on the two games, from the content's point of view, will be on the modes. But Wii U is capable for a lot more things so I just hope they don't limit that. If they do that, then I'm hopping on the "Cancel the 3DS version" wagon too.

Oh and really, portable smash is certainly not the best option. Judging from the previous installments, it's a game that you can easily surpass 500 hours with it. And most of these hours will be quite intense. I'm not sure that 3DS could survive that. Nevertheless, I can't see anyone preferring the 3DS version over the Wii U one. If someone can't or don't want to buy the Wii U console, it's an entirely different thing.

Brawl was really mindblowing for me when it got released. The 3DS version actually looks worse than that, but on the other hand, the Wii U version is really, really beautiful. Not a huge step compared to the previous one, but it's still quite an improvement. So please, stop saying things like that, I understand why you don't want this version but if the future of Smash is in portables then I hope that Nintendo will be a third party and release SSB5 to a successful, by your standards, home console.

So the WiiU is going to get Rainbow road from MKWii? I hate that game and that stage in particular, it violated Mario Galaxy's artstyle. Damn, evey stage I saw for WiiU feels boring.

Azure J

Not to mention the crowd reactions were at their most hype

Smash 64 crowd made you feel like you were performing miracles on stage. Nothing like the rousing cheer when you make a great recovery or how wild they sound when you get combos on with more than 100 damage on yourself.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Original SSB64 Link bomb sounds.

Make it happen. Make it loud.

My men. *high five*

Not to mention the crowd reactions were at their most hype

Definitely! Smash 64 had such good sound effects. Everything was so loud and powerful, and combos just sounded brutal.

I always felt Brawl was a little too weak with them (although all of Ike's attacks were pretty great).

Edit: love this combo too

2nd edit: Now I'm playing Smash 64. I can't resist.

SuperSah

Banned
I don't have a problem with the 3DS version but I'm certainly a bit pessimistic about it. And I can certainly see why someone. And no, portable smash isn't the best smash. Certainly not. What I like about the series is the multiplayer "party" like atmosphere. It's a lot easier to play on the big screen with 3 other people than playing on the 3DS screen with the need of 3 other 3DSes along with (probably) 3 other game cards. Moreover, I just can't see a huge fan of the series not buying the Wii U version, sooner or later. It's the superior version and that's a fact.

I'm just afraid that Sakurai might downgrade it and limit it in order make the two versions equal. But really, that's a dumb thing. It's almost certain that both will have the same number of fighters and I guess the same number of items, assist trophies, pokeballs etc. The Wii U version may have more stages though, but that's not confirmed at all. That means that the main difference on the two games, from the content's point of view, will be on the modes. But Wii U is capable for a lot more things so I just hope they don't limit that. If they do that, then I'm hopping on the "Cancel the 3DS version" wagon too.

Oh and really, portable smash is certainly not the best option. Judging from the previous installments, it's a game that you can easily surpass 500 hours with it. And most of these hours will be quite intense. I'm not sure that 3DS could survive that. Nevertheless, I can't see anyone preferring the 3DS version over the Wii U one. If someone can't or don't want to buy the Wii U console, it's an entirely different thing.

Brawl was really mindblowing for me when it got released. The 3DS version actually looks worse than that, but on the other hand, the Wii U version is really, really beautiful. Not a huge step compared to the previous one, but it's still quite an improvement. So please, stop saying things like that, I understand why you don't want this version but if the future of Smash is in portables then I hope that Nintendo will be a third party and release SSB5 to a successful, by your standards, home console.

Why would Sakurai downgrade it for? It was the 3DS that started Smash 4 due to his preference of a handheld system.

"Cancel the 3DS game" is bullshit. It will 99% sell more than the Wii U game, and if it wasn't for 3DS, Smash Wii U wouldn't even be a thing.

Stage wise, both consoles have 11 stages so far, there's no reason for a shortage of stages, since 3DS games can be 8GB, which is fucking huge for a game like this on such hardware.

3DS version looks weird in screenshots like almost all 3DS games, if you look at them natively on Miiverse, they look pretty damn slick and vibrant.

3DS Smash cannot provide the fun party aspect, of course, but if it supports Download Play, it sure can with a single card.

Also, Smash 3DS is intended to be the more "personal" game with customisability and online play, so that's not really relevant.

Top Bottom