• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) available for pre-load on the Nintendo eShop

L~A

B2QZalMIMAEdgeu.png:large

Pre-load is there, it seems!

1) you buy the game on the eShop.
2) you download the game.
3) on launch day, you download some additional data at midnight, and you can start playing right away!

Game size is 11.6 GB (15.6GB?) in NA / 17.2GB in Europe.

Just announced via Twitter. Europe and North America so far (can anyone confirm for Japan?).

Nintendo News: Avoid the Rush: Consumers Can Now Pre-Load Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- It’s no secret that video game fans are beyond eager to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To help shoppers avoid the day-one rush, Nintendo is offering a few ways for people to get their hands on the game as soon as possible after it launches in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Starting now, Wii U owners can pre-purchase Super Smash Bros. for Wii U directly from the Nintendo eShop or by purchasing a download code for the game from participating retailers. At the time of pre-purchase, much of the game’s data will be pre-loaded to the purchaser’s Wii U system if it is in Standby mode. As soon as the game releases in the Nintendo eShop at midnight Eastern time on Nov. 21, the final data needed to unlock the full game will automatically download.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U has also been available for pre-order on Nintendo.com. Today Nintendo announces that these pre-orders will also support the same pre-load capability. Within 72 hours of the game’s release date, people who have pre-ordered the digital version of the game on Nintendo.com using their Nintendo Network ID will be emailed a redemption code. Once they redeem the code, they will also be able to pre-load the game.

These pre-purchase and pre-load options offer a tremendous benefit to players, who will be among the first people able to play the game once it arrives on their Wii U systems.

For more information about the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You can probably buy it, it will pre-download, and you can play it immediately when it releases on the 21st. Much like a Retail copy.

random25

Wow can anybody confirm if it is available for pre-load (or just a pre-order?)

I am tempted to download it early if that is the case...

Edit: so pre-load...hmmmm...

Might get this one digitally, actually. I trust Nintendo enough to make software that works regardless if the online is broken or not as I don't really give a shit about that personally and it just seems like a nice game to have on the console at all times.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would totally do this, but with no account system, there's no way I'm buying full priced games digitally. :-(

BigK_201

From the NA Press Release:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- It’s no secret that video game fans are beyond eager to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To help shoppers avoid the day-one rush, Nintendo is offering a few ways for people to get their hands on the game as soon as possible after it launches in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Starting now, Wii U owners can pre-purchase Super Smash Bros. for Wii U directly from the Nintendo eShop or by purchasing a download code for the game from participating retailers. At the time of pre-purchase, much of the game’s data will be pre-loaded to the purchaser’s Wii U system if it is in Standby mode. As soon as the game releases in the Nintendo eShop at midnight Eastern time on Nov. 21, the final data needed to unlock the full game will automatically download.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U has also been available for pre-order on Nintendo.com. Today Nintendo announces that these pre-orders will also support the same pre-load capability. Within 72 hours of the game’s release date, people who have pre-ordered the digital version of the game on Nintendo.com using their Nintendo Network ID will be emailed a redemption code. Once they redeem the code, they will also be able to pre-load the game.

These pre-purchase and pre-load options offer a tremendous benefit to players, who will be among the first people able to play the game once it arrives on their Wii U systems.

For more information about the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us.

Exile20

From the NA Press Release:

This is pretty awesome from Nintendo.

random25

Just noticed that the official thread for Smash Wii U discussion got lost the moment this popped up. What's up with that? :p

Anyway, I still have more time to decide whether to download or wait for my reserved disc...decisions, decisions...

Edit: Just got to see it back...weird lol

But there is an account sys.....ah forget it.

What he means is a good account system like what Sony and Microsoft has. Nintendo has an account system, but it does not have the flexibility or convenience of the aforementioned ones, or Steam. I reckon you can have Nintendo transfer your NNID to another Wii U if something happens to the Wii U or you sell it, but stories and experiences have varied. It's shaky, and not the same thing, and not what people are talking about.

I bought a new Wii U a few weeks ago and they would not transfer my NNID over to it for whatever reason, so I lost everything. I had deleted it from the console before I got rid of it, not permanently, but they still acted like they couldn't do it. Or wouldn't. I got too frustrated to keep talking so I said fuck it.

What he means is a good account system like what Sony and Microsoft has. Nintendo has an account system, but it does not have the flexibility or convenience of the aforementioned ones, or Steam. I reckon you can have Nintendo transfer your NNID to another Wii U if something happens to the Wii U or you sell it, but stories and experiences have varied. It's shaky, and not the same thing, and not what people are talking about.

Actually it's pretty easy.

Do you live in the US?
-You're OK to download without fear of losing anything.

Do you live in Europe?
-Physical only.

Top Bottom