• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) available for pre-load on the Nintendo eShop

DizzyCrow

So we need to purchase directly from Eshop on the Wii U to preload now it seems and not from Nintendo.com?

You can purchase from both, the difference is that buying from the site, you'll have to wait an email with the download code and then enter it on the eShop.

El Sabroso

So is this already available for pre-load in some regions? Here's the email I just got about an hour ago:

that's web store preorder, available from US and Canada, preload from eShop will download directly to console and I saw it available also in my region (Mexico) as well

So we need to purchase directly from Eshop on the Wii U to preload now it seems and not from Nintendo.com?

is better to download before with the preload option from eShop

kiryogi

Banned
You can purchase from both, the difference is that buying from the site, you'll have to wait an email with the download code and then enter it on the eShop.

Yeah but you don't get the download code until 72 hours prior unlike now you can Preload from Eshop purchase

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Let's see if I can clarify this well enough. Correct me if I'm wrong

Preorder from web / mobile
Where: Nintendo.com
Available for: U.S.; Canada
What does it do: You preorder your digital copy from Nintendo.com; you get the code around 72 hours before the actual release (in this case, November 19th). Then, you proceed to input the code on your Wii U or to access on Nintendo.com through your NNID and to let the download start.
Plus: Gifting! Whenever you receive your code, you can give it to whoever you want, and who receives it will be able to download the game without problems, because the code is not linked to your NNID.

Preorder from eShop
Where: eShop
Available for: U.S.; Canada; Europe
What does it do: You pre-buy your digital copy from the eShop and you can start downloading it right away. So, U.S. users can download it 9 days before SSB's official release, European ones 16 days.
Plus: Download starts right when you complete the transaction

jblank83

Prepurchased, preloaded, and preinstalled.
Just waiting on my $5 digital deluxe coupon.

Oh, I wonder when I get my Smash soundtrack. I better check club nintendo.

welp how come it is downloading so early thought I would have to wait 72hours before release lol

eh GAF? what would you do if there was an old school code that would unlock your pre-load for 30 plays (demo) until full launch? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I just started to download it, but it says it's 13GB. I live in Europe, where are the other four gigabytes?

you sure you want that spoiler?
All the EU languages for all the talking that the KI:U people do and the StarFox people do as well

Aren't the size differences just download size and install size? Might have to break my rule of buying all Nintendo games retail and pick this up digitally.

Considering canceling my pre-order from Toys r Us, leaving behind my free Amiibo just so I can have no issues with a loud disc drive. I seem to recall Brawl being fairly loud when it would load on my Wii.

And then preloading on top of that? Tempting...

Thats strange. They advertised the web shop with it. Log in and your game starts downloading immidiately. Maybe it doesn´t work for preloads.. for whatever reason.

Example: https://checkout.nintendo.com/#/item/WUPNBWPE/billing

Yeah, they sent an email to us who pre-ordered on the site, telling us that we'll get our codes 72 hours before release. It's weird, but doesn't really matter.

Considering canceling my pre-order from Toys r Us, leaving behind my free Amiibo just so I can have no issues with a loud disc drive. I seem to recall Brawl being fairly loud when it would load on my Wii.

And then preloading on top of that? Tempting...

My really loud disc drive was the biggest reason I'm going digital. And don't forget you get 5 bucks for buying digital too, which alongside preloading is some nice incentives.

DaBoss

So I did this comparison just for curiosity's sake earlier, and found this.

GgQCqd0.png

DL Size = Size it says on the eShop
HDD = Size without extra data (saves, updates)
Update/Save = Size with the extra data

Games listed: Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, NES Remix, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Super Mario 3D World

So in conclusion...I got no idea what the hell they are doing.

Thats strange. They advertised the web shop with it. Log in and your game starts downloading immidiately. Maybe it doesn´t work for preloads.. for whatever reason.

Example: https://checkout.nintendo.com/#/item/WUPNBWPE/billing

Maybe it's just because I did it before preloading started? All I know is that everything I read simply intimated id get a code. At first, that code was to be delivered on the 21st. Today, another email said I'd get a code on the 18th for preloading.

atbigelow

Pre-ordered via the web store and also got an email saying I'll get a code next week.

Realize it's a new system, so hopefully they can work out the inconsistencies. And yes, I was logged in with my NNID.

BigFwoosh

So does this not fit on a Deluxe system? I have Wind Waker HD (1746MB), Mario Kart 8 data (245MB), and Mario 3D World data (39MB). Somehow I only have 11GB free? What gives?

So does this not fit on a Deluxe system? I have Wind Waker HD (1746MB), Mario Kart 8 data (245MB), and Mario 3D World data (39MB). Somehow I only have 11GB free? What gives?

I'm not sure what else might be taking up space, but the reality is that even 32 GB isn't a lot. The Wii U wasn't really intended to have storage for retail games out of the box. If you want to start buying eShop retail releases, you pretty much have to get an external drive.

BigFwoosh

I'm not sure what else might be taking up space, but the reality is that even 32 GB isn't a lot. The Wii U wasn't really intended to have storage for retail games out of the box. If you want to start buying eShop retail releases, you pretty much have to get an external drive.
I have drives so that's not a big deal... just perplexing that I somehow have so little space. Even if the OS takes up 5GB, I should have plenty of space for Smash.

Edit: Apparently Smash was already downloading, so when I hit the Download button it said I didn't have enough free space. It'd be nice if Data Management made mention of current downloads when showing what's using your space.

Dranakin

Awesome, just purchased. I had to delete a few things off my Deluxe system and I won't have room for anymore retail games, but this will be worth it (I hope).

FyreWulff

The game size is 15.6 GB. 11.6 GB is the pre-load size.

No flash drive should be used for this kind of thing. They are terrible. Use the Wii U's internal storage if you can.

Don't buy bargain bin flash drives and you'll be fine. They are all not made equal.

Don't buy bargain bin flash drives and you'll be fine. They are all not made equal.

Just don´t use flash drives at all. Nintendo even warns you about it. They are not meant to constantly written on. It works for a while but we already had multiple threads of people cursing at Nintendo because they lost their data on flash drives..

Has anyone tried buying a download code from GAME? Can you redeem it and start the download right away?

Yep, even works from germany.

jts

...hate me...
So you get the download code from Game right away? Not a few days before the release?
If so I'll probably do it too since if it doesn't matter if I'm from the Netherlands.

I think they will only send the codes a couple of days before release date.

I tweeted them about it yesterday, no response though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
tempted, but the Smash amiibo bundle is 70€ at gamestop. this is 60€ on the eshop, and a mario amiibo will cost 15€...so I'll wait until December 5th because I'm poor ;(

jts

...hate me...
tempted, but the Smash amiibo bundle is 70€ at gamestop. this is 60€ on the eshop, and a mario amiibo will cost 15€...so I'll wait until December 5th because I'm poor ;(

OR

You buy a download code from Game.co.uk for €50

Get game on release date

Buy Amiibo

Save 5€

Get extra 5€ on the eShop due to deluxe digital promotion

Now I made you rich.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OR

You buy a download code from Game.co.uk for €50

Get game on release date

Buy Amiibo

Save 5€

Get extra 5€ on the eShop due to deluxe digital promotion

Now I made you rich.

EDIT: I'm stupid.
But, I've seen that on Amazon.it the basic game cost 49€! :eek:
And with Prime, I can get it on DAY ONE, and than pay just 15€ for Mario and spend 65€ total...

jts

...hate me...
I'm from Italy, I have to pay (and wait) for delivery ;(

M8

If you buy download codes from Game UK they will just email them to you. No waiting and no delivery cost :p

Source: I've done it plenty of times. I'm also not from the UK.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
M8

If you buy download codes from Game UK they will just email them to you. No waiting and no delivery cost :p

Source: I've done it plenty of times. I'm also not from the UK.

I know, I edited, I'm dumb! ;D
So, help me out on this:

If I get the DD code from GAME I spend 50€
This will allow me to have also the DDP code (tht is 5€ to be spent on the eshop)
I can get amiibo whenever I want, spending 15€

Total: 65€
Preorder/download: check
Amiibo: check
Day one: check

Am I right?

It's even better than buying it retail copy from Amazon, because I get the 5€ code from the DDPromotion...right?

jts

...hate me...
I know, I edited, I'm dumb! ;D
So, help me out on this:

If I get the DD code from GAME I spend 50€
This will allow me to have also the DDP code (tht is 5€ to be spent on the eshop)
I can get amiibo whenever I want, spending 15€

Total: 65€
Preorder/download: check
Amiibo: check
Day one: check

Am I right?

It's even better than buying it retail copy from Amazon, because I get the 5€ code from the DDPromotion...right?
That is absolutely right on all accounts. 65€ with Amiibo, day one and 5€ DDP.

Retail copy form Amazon only pays off if you favor physical copy.

Only doubt right now is exactly when are they sending out the codes. They say they will do it a few days before release.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Another question: If I buy the DD code from GAME, I receive the code immediately, and using it on the eshop I can pre-download the game?
Or I have to wait until the 28th to download the code on the eshop?

That is absolutely right on all accounts. 65€ with Amiibo, day one and 5€ DDP.

Retail copy form Amazon only pays off if you favor physical copy.

Only doubt right now is exactly when are they sending out the codes. They say they will do it a few days before release.

EDIT: Oh, I see. well, at worst, I'll have to wait a little to enter the code. it doesn't seem so bad!

MicH

Another question: If I buy the DD code from GAME, I receive the code immediately, and using it on the eshop I can pre-download the game?
Or I have to wait until the 28th to download the code on the eshop?

EDIT: Oh, I see. well, at worst, I'll have to wait a little to enter the code. it doesn't seem so bad!
As of right now, we don't know if digital codes from GAME and the like work with pre-load. They typically send them out a few days before release, so we don't know until then. You won't get a code right now if you purchase one now

Top Bottom