• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) available for pre-load on the Nintendo eShop

Frodo

I'm buying the hell out of it.

On a side note: are we still ringing that "no account system" bell?
Like, do people seriously still believe that? There is an account system, the only thing is that you need to contact Nintendo, instead of doing it by yourself.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As of right now, we don't know if digital codes from GAME and the like work with pre-load. They typically send them out a few days before release, so we don't know until then. You won't get a code right now if you purchase one now

thank you.
it doesn't seem so bad, after all. even if I'll have to wait the day of release to download it, at worst. I can save little money, having my amiibo, having it always available on the HDD (I'd love to have MK8 too on the HDD, for example), having a 5€ DDP code...

jts

...hate me...
Another question: If I buy the DD code from GAME, I receive the code immediately, and using it on the eshop I can pre-download the game?
Or I have to wait until the 28th to download the code on the eshop?

EDIT: Oh, I see. well, at worst, I'll have to wait a little to enter the code. it doesn't seem so bad!

To my understanding, inputing the code before release should direct you to the game pre-download. In the past you would actually get it early, I think that happened with games such as Pikmin 3. But I expect Nintendo to have "fixed" this now that they have pre-download.

We will probably know exactly how this works next week, when americans get their codes from Nintendo's web store and try to input them

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
To my understanding, inputing the code before release should direct you to the game pre-download. In the past you would actually get it early, I think that happened with games such as Pikmin 3. But I expect Nintendo to have "fixed" this now that they have pre-download.

We will probably know exactly how this works next week, when americans get their codes from Nintendo's web store and try to input them

Well, in any case this "Game" strategy seems a win-win option. I'm pre-ordering the DD code right now! ;D

I'm really torn. I preordered Smash from Dell and the $25 dollar gift card I'm rolling into the free $25 gift card it comes with basically makes it $40. But, Smash is the quintessential game that definitely has a place on system storage. Hmmmm

OmegaFax

It's going to be a long week.

RnwoGFkl.jpg

ZESlWMhl.jpg

Shun

Just to confirm, does the whole game preload, or just a piece of it?

Apparently the whole game preloads and installs? There is like 4GB dedicated to DLC/Updates. The thing preventing us from playing now is the Wii U connecting to the server and doing and update check/needs a day one update.

At least that's what I think from what I read.

hwy_61

Banned
Apparently the whole game preloads and installs? There is like 4GB dedicated to DLC/Updates. The thing preventing us from playing now is the Wii U connecting to the server and doing and update check/needs a day one update.

At least that's what I think from what I read.

Ah, so on launch day, we should expect an extra 4-5 GB of extra download. Thanks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I take it that the Wii U can only read one external hard drive at a time huh? How does one transfer games between two external hard drives then?

jts

...hate me...
I guess I finally have to buy an external hard drive for my Wii U. Any recommendations?
2.5" + a Y micro USB cable is the slickest way. Any trustable brand would do.

So I take it that the Wii U can only read one external hard drive at a time huh? How does one transfer games between two external hard drives then?
You use the Wii U's internal memory as the middleman.

HD1 -> WII U
followed by:
WII U -> HD2

If internal memory's not large enough, transfer over only the savedata, then redownload the game to the target hard drive.

the wii u allows for more than 1 hdd to be plugged in but im not sure if you can copy from 1 hdd to the other as i only have 1 external hdd for my wii u.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
2.5" + a Y micro USB cable is the slickest way. Any trustable brand would do.

You use the Wii U's internal memory as the middleman.

HD1 -> WII U
followed by:
WII U -> HD2

If internal memory's not large enough, transfer over only the savedata, then redownload the game to the target hard drive.

Ahh wait, so the save data is separate from the game data? I always thought it's part of the game data.

Since my brother plans on putting Smash U in internal Wii U memory, but is saving for an external. Right now we have a 16GB as a temporary storage for three games he downloaded (Game and Wario, WW HD, Hyrule Warriors), but once he buys an external, he's gonna transfer them over.

Shun

You can plug in 2 HDDs and transfer between internal and both external drives.

Only applicable in System Settings.

The Wii U only reads and recognizes one hard drive as the main one to read games but can read a second one to back up and transfer.

Remember to plug in and remove when the console is off to prevent any failures.

Like, do people seriously still believe that? There is an account system, the only thing is that you need to contact Nintendo, instead of doing it by yourself.

Yep, and rightly so. Try calling nintendo Australia. I myself tried 3 times on different days, and spoke to different people each time and could not get an account transferred.

jts

...hate me...
Ahh wait, so the save data is separate from the game data? I always thought it's part of the game data.

Since my brother plans on putting Smash U in internal Wii U memory, but is saving for an external. Right now we have a 16GB as a temporary storage for three games he downloaded (Game and Wario, WW HD, Hyrule Warriors), but once he buys an external, he's gonna transfer them over.
Yeah, it is separate. Although it is always located in the same drive as the game. Once you go to data management and click on a game, you'll see the different data items (game, saves, updates, etc).

Oh and yeah other posters are right when they say you can actually have 2 HDDs plugged and transfer between them. When I had to do it I only had 1 Y cable for 2 HDDs hence why I had to use the Wii U's internal as a data bucket. My bad.

Sendou

As of right now, we don't know if digital codes from GAME and the like work with pre-load. They typically send them out a few days before release, so we don't know until then. You won't get a code right now if you purchase one now

Less than 24 hours until release and no code. I would have liked to start pre-downloading the game considering how big it is.

the wii u allows for more than 1 hdd to be plugged in but im not sure if you can copy from 1 hdd to the other as i only have 1 external hdd for my wii u.

I can confirm you can copy from HDD1 directly to HDD2.
I did a HDD upgrade the same day Smash came out and it worked fine.

Tested now again just to be sure.

jts

...hate me...
No preload in Aus/NZ I guess? :(
Have you checked the eShop?

I thought it's about the same store as Europe.
Just got my download code from GAME and it doesn't work with preload :(
A couple of questions buddy, are you UK based? If not, did they charge you a "shipping fee" for the code?

When I was trying to buy it, I had that bullshit coming up, and I enquired them to no answer, so I just said fuck it and went directly to the eShop, and well at least the game is preloaded right now.

I thought it's about the same store as Europe.A couple of questions buddy, are you UK based? If not, did they charge you a "shipping fee" for the code?

When I was trying to buy it, I had that bullshit coming up, and I enquired them to no answer, so I just said fuck it and went directly to the eShop, and well at least the game is preloaded right now.

I'm in the UK and I wasn't charged shipping for the code. You should have just used a UK delivery address.

I'm buying the hell out of it.

The account system being tied to the console is really no different than games being tied to the console itself back on the Wii.

megathor

Shopto refused to ship my bundle without the GC controller, and the GC controller later on. Said it will be next week before I get my bundle. I cancelled and reordered everything but the controller for 5 pounds cheaper than the full bundle, but I don't have a controller. Not impressed..

jts

...hate me...
I'm in the UK and I wasn't charged shipping for the code. You should have just used a UK delivery address.
I was afraid that they would verify the payment method's address, but in hindsight yeah I guess it was dumb of me. Delivery is different from payment, and I didn't need to create a new account to have a UK address in the delivery options :|

I just don't feel too bad about it because their communication was so dire, they didn't reply back a tweet, an email and I gave up waiting for someone to come to the chat line, so in a way I feel good about taking my business somewhere else, and now I know it comes with the (admittedly small, but exciting) bonus of preloading.

Yes I have. There no preload for Australia eShop.

Sorry to hear that.

I thought there was an Euro/PAL eShop, a JP/NTSC-J one and an american one and that was the end of it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
GAME hasnt send the code yet, is it still possible to cancel the order ? No preload is a bummer.

jts

...hate me...
At exactly what timezone's midnight does the game unlock in Europe? Is it the same for everyone?

JohnWest

...still waiting on my GAME download code.. so much about preload -___-

did anyone get his/her download code from GAME yet and did they also receive this weird email before saying "your download code is as following: "COMINGSOON""?

MicH

I thought it's about the same store as Europe.A couple of questions buddy, are you UK based? If not, did they charge you a "shipping fee" for the code?

I'm not from the UK. Free shipping because it's sent through email.
I hot my code from GAME earlier today. I also got the temporary "comingsoon" email when I ordered it

Sendou

GAME hasnt send the code yet, is it still possible to cancel the order ? No preload is a bummer.

...still waiting on my GAME download code.. so much about preload -___-

did anyone get his/her download code from GAME yet and did they also receive this weird email before saying "your download code is as following: "COMINGSOON""?

I haven't got an e-mail either. I got my code by making an inquiry on their site ("my downloads list" link should be on the e-mail they sent). It's useless though because there's no preload. Which is just stupid.

At exactly what timezone's midnight does the game unlock in Europe? Is it the same for everyone?

CET afaik.

JohnWest

I haven't got an e-mail either. I got my code by making an inquiry on their site ("my downloads list" link should be on the e-mail they sent). It's useless though because there's no preload. Which is just stupid.

man, thanks alot! i followed the my downloads link and now i got my code, yay! and i guess no preload almost doesn't matter anymore at that point anyway =)

Top Bottom