• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) available for pre-load on the Nintendo eShop

Then I must live in some bizarro world in which this isn't a thing.

I've done with a couple 3DS. Just call them back, give them the serial number of both consoles as well as any pertinent Club Nintendo and NNID information and they'll migrate your software licenses over.

I've zero problem getting them to do just this both times.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI I think the eshop size listing for games is a bit exaggerated as some extra free space is required for installation. Smash preload is downloading 11.6 gigs, but the final size may not be much bigger.

I've done with a couple 3DS. Just call them back, give them the serial number of both consoles as well as any pertinent Club Nintendo and NNID information and they'll migrate your software licenses over.

I've zero problem getting them to do just this both times.

They just tell me that it's already linked to another console and I'm like no shit really? I even unlinked it before I sold it. I dunno.

Whatever, I already made another account and have made multiple purchases on it. Unless they would somehow migrate the two accounts it's nothing I'm going to deal with any further. My point was that it's not as easy as simply buying a new system and connecting your account to it like you can on the other consoles.

Jobbs

Banned
this is the kind of game I'd be open to buying digitally, the problem is with Nintendo's account system (I know, I know) I'm afraid to do it. Too much potential hassle.

probably shouldn't have brought this into this thread, was thinking out loud. but, yeah. excited for smash XD

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Actually it's pretty easy.

Do you live in the US?
-You're OK to download without fear of losing anything.

Do you live in Europe?
-Physical only.
That's not true at all, if you live in Germany the customer service will help you out with every NNiD problem like transferring licenses, but in UK you are screwed from what I've read on GAF. Well or at least it takes way more work.

this is the kind of game I'd be open to buying digitally, the problem is with Nintendo's account system (I know, I know) I'm afraid to do it. Too much potential hassle.

probably shouldn't have brought this into this thread, was thinking out loud. but, yeah. excited for smash XD
Thats a good point. I was looking into preloading it but I'll just grab a physical copy during lunch at work. I'd rather avoid some headache in the future.

All these different filesizes. I guess there is hope for the music being better than 21khz though (wtf Smash 3DS). Unless all that is trailer FMVs and mode clear FMVs...

And this is yet another thread related to Nintendo and online which is about account systems (tl;dr, the problem is migration and what the end users options are). Yay. My favorite.
What he means is a good account system like what Sony and Microsoft has.
Are you psychic? Don't put words in his mouth.

I bought a new Wii U a few weeks ago and they would not transfer my NNID over to it for whatever reason, so I lost everything. I had deleted it from the console before I got rid of it, not permanently, but they still acted like they couldn't do it. Or wouldn't. I got too frustrated to keep talking so I said fuck it.
Try, and try again. Previous experiences suggest Nintendo UK have to be threatened with legal action to do their fucking job here. I guess they are reluctant as they have to do a report about why they did the forbidden thing...of an account migration.

It is clear you sold the system before the system transfer was even an option and you did everything they told you to (format the system to unlink is what their support says...only their definition of unlink is different to the rest of the worlds).

Huh what? Is it related to customer services between those 2 regions?
The European customer services are a lot worse than NOA (who are exceptionally good). Especially the UK one.

Sendou

So I buy code from GAME, they'll send me the code whenever before launch and I'll be able to pre-load? If so that's exactly what I wanted. Amazing how everything works like you want every once in a while.

Are you psychic? Don't put words in his mouth.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant though. There is an account system, but like I said it's not as hassle-free as some of the others. I wasn't trying to be a jackass. Many gamers are used to be able to do whatever they want with their consoles without having to worry about it, and you can't quite do that with the Wii U account system. The fact that you told me to keep trying and trying is exactly what I'm talking about. If it were a proper account system that wouldn't be necessary. It'd be as simple as buying a new console and attaching your NNID to it just as you would on most other account systems.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Feels good to finally spend that eShop money I've had sitting around for this. Can't wait for the 21st.

MicH

Just bought a download code from GAME UK. I hope it works with pre-load as well.

Still shitty that it comes out the same day as Pokemon ORAS. Couldn't they at least have pushed one of them to November 21st? :(

BlitzKeeg

Same here. I have the game coming day 1 from Amazon, however I would love to have the game at midnight so I can play it right away, but I'm too afraid of not having the account in place. If something happens to my WiiU and I lose all my Smash data because Nintendo can't transfer my stuff I'm going to be PISSED. I think I'll stick with my amazon purchase since I'll be waiting for the gamecube controller adapter anyway.

Sendou

Same here. I have the game coming day 1 from Amazon, however I would love to have the game at midnight so I can play it right away, but I'm too afraid of not having the account in place. If something happens to my WiiU and I lose all my Smash data because Nintendo can't transfer my stuff I'm going to be PISSED. I think I'll stick with my amazon purchase since I'll be waiting for the gamecube controller adapter anyway.

Well it's not like buying physical will stop stuff from happening to your Smash saves because that's stored on the console.

Exile20

and it starts

B2QgvzeIIAAthAU.jpg

Daz Calvert ‏@dazcalvert 11m11 minutes ago
Just downloading #SmashBros #WiiU yo! pic.twitter.com/5IwNUDjAYj

jts

...hate me...
Awesome, I was actually waiting for this and actively googling it in the past few days, as my current connection is nothing to write home about and I want to play this as soon as it drops.

Game is not as large as I expected though. 11GB for the NA version surprises me. This has Iwata's uber coding skills all over it, innit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, it's the first game that does that ;)

I wonder if Captain Toad will work with pre-load? And what about 3rd-party games? I hope all games get such a handy system in the future.

I think all first-party titles starting with Smash will support pre-load.

No 3rd-Party so far, though.

Glass Joe

Is 11.6 the size of the preload file itself, because on the eShop, it says Smash requires 15.6 GB.

Download and install size are different for every Wii U game. I'm not sure how that works but I don't think this means we're going to have to download 4 gig at midnight. That would be excessive and defeat the purpose.

Betty

Banned
My gamepad just jingled to offer me the chance to buy it, and I would've, but at £49.99, no way. Why spend that much when I can get the game + gamecube adapter for the same price?

jts

...hate me...
Just bought a download code from GAME UK. I hope it works with pre-load as well.

Still shitty that it comes out the same day as Pokemon ORAS. Couldn't they at least have pushed one of them to November 21st? :(

I've bought many a eShop code from Game UK, and in this case it would save me a cool 10€.

I'm pretty sure it will work with pre-load, however, my question is, how soon will the code drop. That is vital. I want to pre-load ASAP.

Will purchase and predownload when I get home from work tonight. Smash is a game that I MUST have on my system at all times. I just need to go out and buy the adapter/GCN controller now.

HYPE! It's nearly here!

BigFwoosh

Preordered on the site, so I guess I have to wait a bit. Hopefully that "within 72 hours" thing works out.

Just got an email about it. Basically says the same thing, and that all codes should be sent out within a few hours on 11/18.

Nice, I figured it would actually miss Smash launch.

I'm feeling dirty, but I think I'm gonna do it. Already decided to buy it digital anyway so fuck it, I guess. This will definitely get playtime while I'm working through other games so it makes sense not to swap discs for it. Not really able to justify giving them money over a week before launch except that I'm dumb.

Top Bottom