• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) available for pre-load on the Nintendo eShop

jts

...hate me...
Nintendo needs pre-order incentives for the eShop though, no? They will be getting now our money in advance, I mean.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A good flash drive should be usable right? Apparently the read/write limit is hard to reach after all.

DaBoss

The game size is 15.6 GB. 11.6 GB is the pre-load size.
A good flash drive should be usable right? Apparently the read/write limit is hard to reach after all.
No flash drive should be used for this kind of thing. They are terrible. Use the Wii U's internal storage if you can.

Neiteio

Weighing the pros and cons of being able to play this without a trip to store or waiting on mail, or being able to hold a box and say "damn it feels good to be a gangsta"

So I downloaded it, but when it tried to install it says "An error has occurred" and tells me the data is corrupted. I don't know if I should redownload or if this is intentional.

Shun

5 hour pre-download. Bless this shit.

But doesn't this mean we have to download like 4GB+ at midnight?

Why not put up more of the game then make it like a 1GB download at midnight?

Regardless this is great, no waiting 5 hours at midnight anymore.

Bass260

Anyone know if the GCN adapters and controllers are for sale at retail yet? I don't want to play at midnight without that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The game size is 15.6 GB. 11.6 GB is the pre-load size.

No flash drive should be used for this kind of thing. They are terrible. Use the Wii U's internal storage if you can.

I remember the 3DS version having something similar. Like 2.1 GB to download, but not completely used. Could it be the same here?

jts

...hate me...
So I downloaded it, but when it tried to install it says "An error has occurred" and tells me the data is corrupted. I don't know if I should redownload or if this is intentional.
You probably should redownload. Can't hurt, if you downloaded it as fast as you did. Unless you have caps, that is.

I don't believe Nintendo would make it so it says the data is corrupted before the launch date. And I've had plenty of corrupt Nintendo downloads in the past.

You probably should redownload. Can't hurt, if you downloaded it as fast as you did. Unless you have caps, that is.

I don't believe Nintendo would make it so it says the data is corrupted before the launch date. And I've had plenty of corrupt Nintendo downloads in the past.

That's what I thought as well, gonna redownload.

Gleethor

It should be less than 4 gigs assuming that, like the 3DS version, part of that 15 gigs is reserved for future DLC.

Son Of D

Brawl is over 7GB in size, I'm surprised this game is only 11GB really.

The lack of Subspace mode means less CG scenes to eat up the space. Only CG videos are the trailers and they're not really that long nor are there as many as there were SSE CG scenes.

That or the team are really good at compressing the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So I buy code from GAME, they'll send me the code whenever before launch and I'll be able to pre-load? If so that's exactly what I wanted. Amazing how everything works like you want every once in a while.

Just did the same - ca. 10€ less than on the eShop and you still get the full DDP credit.

Im ready.

hwy_61

Banned
I don't believe it will make any difference. You effectively buy the game on the eShop, you start downloading it.

But its not on the eShop on Wii U though. It has to be done on the website, right? I have a lot of eShop credit, that's why I was asking.

So is this already available for pre-load in some regions? Here's the email I just got about an hour ago:

Good news, Smash fan!
Super Smash Bros.™ for Wii U will be available for pre-load—so you’ll be ready to start smashing when it’s released.
Here’s how it works:
We’ll send your download code via email within 72 hours of the official launch date.
Redeem online or on your Wii U console and download.
You’ll be able to play on launch day – November 21, 2014.
Your credit card will be charged when we send you the download code. Remember, if you would like to cancel your pre-order, you must do so before this time.
Questions about digital download?
When will my credit card be charged?
For pre-orders, we will charge your credit card when we provide you with the download code for the game. (Please note that we will authorize your credit card a few days ahead of time to verify that the credit card is valid.)

We will usually send the download code on the day the game is released. However, for Super Smash Bros for Wii U pre-orders, we will begin sending download codes on 11/18/14 that you can use to pre-load the game to your system. (If you order after that date, you will receive your code shortly after you place your order.) Your credit card will be charged when the code is sent. You'll be able to start playing after downloading a quick game update, starting at 12:00 a.m. ET on 11/21/14.

On the day the download code is available, we'll send you an email with your code and instructions for redeeming your game in the Nintendo eShop.

Rnr1224

ugh between this and Pokemon, Im not sure which to buy. I say it will be pokemon only but i know ill end up buying both anyways.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I think it means they compressed the download 4GB, but the game is uncompressed when its done downloading.

So is this already available for pre-load in some regions? Here's the email I just got about an hour ago:

It is in the US, downloading it now.

JCX

You COULD buy it seperately you know...just saying ;)

It launches the same day as the game right? I'd have to buy it from a store/amazon anyway, so might as well get the bundle. I will continue to play smash with the One True Control Method on consoles.

It is in the US, downloading it now.

I'm confused here then. I have it pre-ordered, and the email I just got said codes would go out on the 18th. Did the people who are downloading now just place an order then? I wonder if I can cancel my pre-order and just buy it now if that's the case.

Thank goodness that Nintendo did this for Smash, because I would otherwise have to wait a little over 2 hours without pre-load.
I can finally use my hard drive since Smash won't fit into the Wii U's internal storage.

foltzie1

4GB at midnight.

I wonder if that is the binary (seems really big for the binary) or binary + some content updates.

If they are withholding the binary, that is wise, prevents potential street date breaking*.

*Though without the Wii U being hacked, it really isnt an issue.

Gartooth

What exactly do you think preload means?

As I already said, when I read the thread it wasn't made entirely clear. I assumed it was for preloading, but wasn't entirely sure if this was a WW HD scenario where the game gets an early digital release. I could do without getting hounded over such a small error though thanks.

Ultryx

It's great that if you waited to pre-order and do it now, it begins downloading immediately when you go into sleep mode. I pre-ordered it the day of the last Nintendo Direct for Smash and I have to wait until Tuesday or beyond for pre-load.

It's great that if you waited to pre-order and do it now, it begins downloading immediately when you go into sleep mode. I pre-ordered it the day of the last Nintendo Direct for Smash and I have to wait until Tuesday or beyond for pre-load.

I find this to be really weird. I'm sure it's not going to matter at all, but I'm tempted to cancel the pre-order so I can pre-load it now. You know, just in case it turns out that Nintendo hasn't really figured out pre-loading and it turns out that there's some way to unlock it before launch.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yup! I'm pre-loading.

Question: I have a USB HDD - do games load faster from those than they do from WiiU HDD? I'm conflicted on whether to download this game to my WiiU or USB HDD. I guess I'll probably rather have this on WiiU HDD since if I have to take my system somewhere, I won't have to bring the HDD with it. However, if it loads faster from the HDD - I may be tempted to do that.

Any suggestions?

rekameohs

Banned
Yup! I'm pre-loading.

Question: I have a USB HDD - do games load faster from those than they do from WiiU HDD? I'm conflicted on whether to download this game to my WiiU or USB HDD. I guess I'll probably rather have this on WiiU HDD since if I have to take my system somewhere, I won't have to bring the HDD with it. However, if it loads faster from the HDD - I may be tempted to do that.

Any suggestions?

Load times from fastest to slowest are almost universally: Internal Storage > External Hard Drive >> Disc

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right. Since with Smash Bros, by preordering the game on Nintendo.com, you get the download code earlier, the whole system finally makes sense! Before this news, preordering titles on Nintendo.com meant you would have received the code for the game only on the release date, which defeats the purpose of preordering a digital good (i.e. having the possibility to download it before the actual release). And this means you can actually gift the early download code as well. Good!

I hope they hurry up with implementing the system with other Wii U (and 3DS) titles. In the most recent investor meeting, this is what Iwata said on the matter.

Also, we will be implementing what we call a “pre-download” system with “Super Smash Bros. for Wii U” that will be released at the end of this year.
The “pre-download” system is a system in which consumers who have purchased the game before its release can download most of the game content in advance. Using this system, consumers will not have to wait for a long time to download the game after its release. They will then be able to start playing the game by only downloading a requisite minimum amount of update data.
In addition to the automatic distribution system at the time of purchase, which I have just explained, the “pre-download” system will be available with download cards sold at stores as well, by entering the download code at Nintendo e-Shop in advance. Consumers will not be required to save the download card until the release of the game if they enter the download code on the day of purchase.
This system will be implemented on Wii U first, and is planned for Nintendo 3DS next year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/05.html

Ultryx

I find this to be really weird. I'm sure it's not going to matter at all, but I'm tempted to cancel the pre-order so I can pre-load it now. You know, just in case it turns out that Nintendo hasn't really figured out pre-loading and it turns out that there's some way to unlock it before launch.

Yeah that's bothering me. I almost canceled it and was going to order it again. I should still be able to preload before the game comes out, but it won't matter anyway because I'm going to be gone the day it comes out for a week :(

It's annoying that I purchased it earlier though and get access to preload later. Doesn't make sense.

17GB is quite big for EU, I can't believe fully localized voices/texts are that huge.
Remember how the eShop usually has completely wrong size for games so I'd imagine it is closer to the US size of 15gb than appears.

What about SD cards?
Wii mode only.

A Japanese person found (fastest to slowests) SSD > Internal > Disc > HDD for MH Tri ultimate. IIRC the HDD was in a housing so maybe the housing used was the bottleneck for that.

Some people have found the opposite of external HDD being faster than internal. I would hazard a guess that the Wii U internal has some sort of caching capability (think back to GTAV launch of how the digital version on XB360 performed worse if it was on the internal) which some games can use.

Either way the difference wasn't all that great and some games may exhibit it greater than others. What I'm getting at it is it is not like HD loader on PS2 or USB loader on Wii which were miles ahead of disc.

Lord Phol

Aw man just noticed I only have 9GB left on my Wii-U :(. If I remove Monster Hunter I get 16, not sure if that will be enough.

Top Bottom