• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection

test_account

XP-39C²
Super Stardust HD on PS3 posted the scores practically instantly. On the other hand, Super Stardust Portable on PSP usually took 5-10 minutes to refresh the online scoreboards.
I tested it now and you're right. It wasnt like this before though because i can specifically remember that i kept waiting for my new score to be updated, so it seems like something that they have fixed later on.

Murkas

For the 3 types of specials, is it:

Black hole - good for asteroids
Missles - good for enemies
bomb - decent for both

I've used them and that's the difference I can notice so I wanna confim if that is the case.

I wish they'd change the score mechanic so that you could freely use black holes/EMP/ missles because, as it stands, if you're going for a high score you need to keep hold of your special weapons. Mind you, it's an incredible game and worth every penny and, at times, it's the most glorious fireworks display you'll ever see on a 5 inch display. I bought the PS3 version at launch and had so much fun with it, if anything, the Vita version is even more addictive and just as intense. I'm annoyed that it didn't mention anything about purchasing the extra mode as a bundle as I was buying it. I'm on the fence about paying for the add-on pack.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Phenomenal game, and one of the definite standouts on the platform, both in terms of visuals and gameplay. Just super fun to play, and possibly even a better game compared to PS3 cousin.

After playing so many 'dual stick' shooters on iPhone that without exception control like ass, it feels almost wrong to have something like this.

I'm having trouble with the trophy The Tokenizer. No clue how the hell you collect 15 things in one boost, unless I'm missing something.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Super Stardust HD on PS3 posted the scores practically instantly. On the other hand, Super Stardust Portable on PSP usually took 5-10 minutes to refresh the online scoreboards.

Motorstorm RC suffers from the same problem as well on the Vita and PS3, even though it looks like it's constantly sending/receiving information while you're playing judging by the little icon that appears in the bottom corner.

Just got all trophies for this game and the DLC yesterday morning. I didn't really enjoy the tilt based minigames, but the regular planets are addictive as hell. I only played the original Stardust HD at a friends house, but really enjoyed it, so this was a must buy for me.

I actually haven't touched much of Rayman or Uncharted since I got the Vita since I was glued to this game.

The way I did it in the PS3 version was to get a bonus so you get a solid green asteroid and just boost through it.

Yeah, that's what I did in Delta to get that achievement. I believe I did it on the fifth planet since there is a bonus opportunity not too far into the mission that sends a large solid green, plus I already had some extra icons still on screen. I failed a few times, you really need to line up your boost to the green asteroid perfectly.

Yeah, that's what I did in Delta to get that achievement. I believe I did it on the fifth planet since there is a bonus opportunity not too far into the mission that sends a large solid green, plus I already had some extra icons still on screen. I failed a few times, you really need to line up your boost to the green asteroid perfectly.

Yep, I did it in Delta last night. The final planet has a bonus right at the start, so it's a good one to do. Took me about 5 tries. It seemed to work better when I started my boost a little back from the asteroid, not right up next to it. Maybe when you boost too close you move through too fast to pick up that many?

The way I did it in the PS3 version was to get a bonus so you get a solid green asteroid and just boost through it.

Worked like a charm, thanks! I actually had no idea what those numbered asteroids were for, so this might help my scoring too! :D

The second planet has one of the bonuses right at the beginning as well, so I just replayed that until I got it.

Can't figure out how the scoreboards work in this game.

Played arcade mode on normal, got a super low score. Can see people on my friends list have ridiculously higher scores than me on casual and normal. I see that the scores are exactly the same for both modes. At this point I'm thinking that "normal" scores are expressed on the casual leader board as well (As if you can get that score on normal, you can damn well sure get it on casual.)

Played casual mode, got an insanely high score, now I place second on the normal & casual board? Shouldn't these be separate scoreboards? Seems a bit unfair that someone can overtake a player on "normal" by booting up casual mode...

ryushe

I'm kind of glad the Vita doesn't have an activity log like the 3DS, because I think I'd be slightly embarrassed by just how much time I've sunk in to this game... especially considering I have Uncharted, Rayman, BlazBlue, Mutant Blobs Attack and Escape Plan (and various PSP games to boot) almost all unplayed.

Also, I've said this in the Vita |OT| thread, but everyone, please I implore you all to add the Shatter OST onto your Vita's and have it playing in the LiveArea as you play this game. The BGM for this game is already great, but my based God above if the game doesn't get outright Godly when you have Shatter's music playing as you wreak shop.

Anyone having a problem with the gyro mini game, seems like it doesnt works correctly, not centered right.

Works fine on mine. You just need to find its "center." It seems that they tried to zero it at a natural playing angle with the screen slightly tilted towards your eyes.

Speaking of tilt, this damn Rock and Roll is starting piss me off a bit. It's the last trophy I need for the standard game. I've come so close many times. All of the mini games are nice little additions, but nothing I would wan't to spend too much time playing.

Raonak

Banned
Anyone having a problem with the gyro mini game, seems like it doesnt works correctly, not centered right.

tapping Triangle centers the gyros in normal gameplay that might fix it.

speaking of which. I love how you can tilt the vita to tilt the screen, it's just genius, extremely useful.
another example of good waggle (along with uncharted's gyro aim)

Are you sure the Delta and Pure scoreboards are separate? They show as the same for me, since my high score was updated for both.

Also I bought the bundle, but what exactly is the extra stuff? What's the difference of the $10 game vs the $15 game. I haven't been able to find that out.

Game is pretty cool, but I've only had time to really sit (lay down in bed actually) and play it once. I got like 11 million which was enough to put me at the bottom of my friends scores, so if anyone sucks more feel free to add me. Crazygambit is my ID.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are you sure the Delta and Pure scoreboards are separate? They show as the same for me, since my high score was updated for both.

Also I bought the bundle, but what exactly is the extra stuff? What's the difference of the $10 game vs the $15 game. I haven't been able to find that out.

Game is pretty cool, but I've only had time to really sit (lay down in bed actually) and play it once. I got like 11 million which was enough to put me at the bottom of my friends scores, so if anyone sucks more feel free to add me. Crazygambit is my ID.
Pure and Delta is under the same leaderboard yeah. There is however a filter in the highscore list that allows you to see if people played with Delta or Pure. It doesnt really matter which one you play if you're trying to go for the highest score possible though, since then you "cant" use any bombs or special weapons.

The DLC contains the extra modes like Endless and Bomber.

Nah the cheapest is Motorstorm RC at 9.99.

EDIT: And it was also 9.99 last week :p

And it's also a better game ... ! *runaway*

Seriously though, after Motorstorm RC I'm finding the game UI for Delta positively ancient. I would love them to redo the user interface more in Motorstorm RC's mold, with the active pitwall and such showing who beat what score.

What I would like for both by the way is a pinch to zoom, because those letters for the scoreboards are just too damn small sometimes. It's still readable, but not comfortably so.

Still love Stardust of course, but not as much as I expected it, after the brilliance of Motorstorm. But I've always been more of a racer than a shooter, so that was to be expected.

It's unfortunate that they lump all the high scores together, as it's not overly difficult to amass a good score on Casual, certainly it's much harder on higher difficulty levels and the leaderboard should reflect that. I shudder to think how much time I've sunk into this one, it really is digital crack (without the shivering in the corner, mind you). I hope Housemarque have done well out of this one, as it really deserves it; best launch title so far.

All trophies + expansion trophies get. Balance has been restored to the world.

And yeah, digital crack is about right. But for now, back to Lumines...

Man that last boss is INSANE. This game is so so so perfect. Ill be getting the DLC down the road for sure. Those last two planets really turn up the heat. I reached 54 million ;).

test_account

XP-39C²
It's unfortunate that they lump all the high scores together, as it's not overly difficult to amass a good score on Casual, certainly it's much harder on higher difficulty levels and the leaderboard should reflect that. I shudder to think how much time I've sunk into this one, it really is digital crack (without the shivering in the corner, mind you). I hope Housemarque have done well out of this one, as it really deserves it; best launch title so far.
It is more difficult indeed, but on the flipside you get twice as many points on the bonus points drops when playing on normal. This means that you can get a higher score.

I think this will be my first Vita game. I absolutely adore the PS3 version, but one problem I had was that the main mode more or less went on forever if you were good enough. I think my best game took over 3 hours and I eventually only stopped playing because I got tired. They added a mode through DLC that was more suited for shorter play sessions, but at that point I didn't really play the game anymore.
So now I wonder how they handled that with the Vita version. Is one session in the main mode still taking forever?

Just completed 1 loop on hardcore. Score is at 51 million at the moment.

Next loop is called "professional".

I have 8 lives and 5 specials. Bring on the 2nd loop!

Game is too damn fun.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got 100% of the trophies today =) I thought that getting 99x in Impact mode was damn hard, but after a while tons of stuff comes down on the screen, so it wasnt really that hard afterall.

I think this will be my first Vita game. I absolutely adore the PS3 version, but one problem I had was that the main mode more or less went on forever if you were good enough. I think my best game took over 3 hours and I eventually only stopped playing because I got tired. They added a mode through DLC that was more suited for shorter play sessions, but at that point I didn't really play the game anymore.
So now I wonder how they handled that with the Vita version. Is one session in the main mode still taking forever?
The PS3 version also have an "Arcade Easy" mode that ended the game after one playthrough (it was added in one of the earlier updates i think). It is the same with the Vita version. Playing on casual and normal will end the game after one playthrough. Hardcore mode will continue to loop.

By the way, you're an amazing Stardust player if you quit after a 3 hour session because of boredom and not because of the difficulty :) My record is somewhere around 3 hours, and at this time the rocks flies maybe 5 times faster compared to the begining of the game. It is damn hard to avoid those rocks at that speed, at least for me, and especially when your weapons get down to zero after the game starts a new round.

I see. I remember Easy mode in Stardust HD and I don't want a session to just end after one playthrough either. Seems a bit counterproductive in a score- and skill-based shooter. I guess I just have to bet on Hardcore difficulty being difficult enough to not go on for hours and hours.

SmokyDave

Game is so damned good. Possibly even better than the PS3 version.

One question though, how do I send a gift / track? Near keeps bitching that I'm letting my friends down :(

Agent X

Game is so damned good. Possibly even better than the PS3 version.

One question though, how do I send a gift / track? Near keeps bitching that I'm letting my friends down :(

I believe it does it automatically when you start a game session, without any other intervention. I am not sure if you have to fulfill some other requirement to trigger this automatic sending, though.

test_account

XP-39C²
I see. I remember Easy mode in Stardust HD and I don't want a session to just end after one playthrough either. Seems a bit counterproductive in a score- and skill-based shooter. I guess I just have to bet on Hardcore difficulty being difficult enough to not go on for hours and hours.
Personally i actually prefer that the game ends after one playthrough. Going for a high score means that you cant lose a single life or using any bombs. I have no idea how many times i've restarted or quit the game even if i die on level 3 or 4. Once dying, there is no point in contunie playing since you wont be able to get a higher score. You also have to be very quick and boost through as many bonus points as possible. So even with just one playthrough, there are still challenges :)

But yeah, there is a hardcore mode that goes on "forever" indeed. It gets very difficult after a while in my opinion.

Top Bottom