• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just had a match against an Akuma player with high BP (didn't check his PP)...he was pretty good. My friend is here playing online too, and I guess that caused some network issues, because the match froze, the connection was lost, and then I lost over 1,000 PP!

Guess that's one way for Capcom to deal with rage quitters, lol.

Circle pad is trash to me.

DPad only. The reason being is the Circle Pad requires so much movement to go from one side to the other due to the way it is set up. Just doesn't feel natural or fluid like an actual stick. It also requires a lot of force. Dpad is kinda in an odd spot and kinda hurts but I can pull moves off much more consistently.

I can FADC Ultra like without issue on the 3DS Dpad.

Boogiepop

I need to stop sucking so hard at this game.
There's always one or two battles in the arcade mode that kick the crap out of me for long spans and drive me nuts. (And I'm only doing Normal... :()
Lost to Seth so much with Juri last night that I gave myself a small blister from fireball/reverse fireball motions... Ugh. Still, realizing I could change my Ultra finally allowed me to crush him, so that gives me a little hope that this'll stop happening so much... (BTW, what DOES Juri's "charge" Ultra do? I couldn't notice any damage variance when it was "on" at all.)

I feel bad for new adopters frustrated by Seth etc.. :p

I remember those days! Now Hardest Seth is zzzz.

It just takes some time to get use too a few basics.

mandiller

GAF, I'm a complete noob at Street Fighter, help me!

I'm going through the trial challenge for Ryu at the moment to try and learn some moves and combos and I've come up against something I can't perform.

Crouch + L punch
Crouch + M punch
Crouch + H punch

I can do those moves individually obviously, but I can't string them together, the character doesn't seem to flow from one punch to the next no matter how fast I press the punch buttons.

I keep running into the same people..

I keep running into a Gen who does jump back fierce all day.. ugh.. and since it has amazing priority in his Crane stance.. it is really tough to beat.

Poyunch

BowieZ said:
Finally starting to win some wifu battles!
0MU44.jpg

mandiller said:
GAF, I'm a complete noob at Street Fighter, help me!

I'm going through the trial challenge for Ryu at the moment to try and learn some moves and combos and I've come up against something I can't perform.

Crouch + L punch
Crouch + M punch
Crouch + H punch

I can do those moves individually obviously, but I can't string them together, the character doesn't seem to flow from one punch to the next no matter how fast I press the punch buttons.

As a general rule of thumb, if you're pressing the button and nothing is coming out, then delay it slightly. You might then see the punch come out but Dan blocks it, meaning you need to quicken the timing a little more.

Also check out youtube videos, these give an indication for the timing needed.

jlevel13

mandiller said:

It's not always about pressing the buttons fast - it's about getting the timing right - sometimes you actaully have to slow down. Just keep altering your timing and eventually you will hit it. It can be frustrating though, as often the timing is very tight and unless you're superhuman, it's difficult to tell the difference between just missing it and perfection.

Like Heavy's Sandvich says above, you can watch youtube videos to give you a hint of what you're doing wrong if you're stuck - search for Ryu (or whoever) challenge trials.

But if you're having too much trouble with a particular trial, I say just skip it - if it's too tight to do once or twice (except by luck), you're never going to get it out consistently enough to use in an actual fight, so it's kind of useless. There are plenty of other effective moves... you don't need to master them all.

Thoraxes

Can anyone explain to me how I can play matches against people who don't just spam their two touch screen buttons? It's getting really annoying when people only press two buttons, and don't actually strategically fight.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thoraxes said:
Can anyone explain to me how I can play matches against people who don't just spam their two touch screen buttons? It's getting really annoying when people only press two buttons, and don't actually strategically fight.

Filter out "lite mode" when searching for opponents.

Majine

Banned
Online SSFIV without voice or text messaging is wierd.

"Oh, I can't quit now. He'll think I'm a sore looser. Gotta keep fighting."

"Haha, he's starting to repeat the same moves. Probably pissed I did the same thing before."

Majine said:
Online SSFIV without voice or text messaging is wierd.

"Oh, I can't quit now. He'll think I'm a sore looser. Gotta keep fighting."

"Haha, he's starting to repeat the same moves. Probably pissed I did the same thing before."

That's one of my only few complaints about the game...it's all speculation.
It's not that I am leaving because I got destroyed, it's because I actually have to go.
I wish there was at least a way to say gg or something similar.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Rematch protocols without messaging is kinda weird, ha ha. So far I've seen that almost everyone will be a sport and go for 2 - 4 rematches. Very few people I've won the match against have quit on the first try.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
TurtleSnatcher said:
I feel bad for new adopters frustrated by Seth etc.. :p

I remember those days! Now Hardest Seth is zzzz.

It just takes some time to get use too a few basics.

It's a good thing all the characters are unlocked in the 3DS version so I don't have to fight that douchebag Seth.

Poyunch

I hate it when the game's online lags. A-holes taking advantage of the fact that I can't react to their moves and spamming their hadoukens.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Tried it las night, pretty impressive overall but the speed of the motions makes it so that you lose your ideal 3D position often, the controls are also not ideal but thete aint much the game can do about that.

Still, pretty great.

Delriach

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Won 9 in a row online, personal record :))

My personal best so far is 31. I lost to a pretty good player right after that. The rounds were really close with just chip damage for both of us. Then he rematched me using a Chun-Li with double the BP of mine... and he got bodied XD That's my woman! >:p

My review got posted today on TheSixthAxis. Dunno if anyone here wants to read it. I wasn't actually supposed to review it originally, so that's why there was a bit of a delay.

If anyone wants to play my friend code is 4210-3994-3280. My Mii is Hulk Hogan lol <_<

Effect

Plinko said:
Filter out "lite mode" when searching for opponents.
Can't this pretty much happen with Pro controls? Some moves I believe can be done over and over again if you are good at it right?

Chorazin

Effect said:
Can't this pretty much happen with Pro controls? Some moves I believe can be done over and over again if you are good at it right?
Well....yeah. But you need to input the moves correctly on Pro. And if someone is doing the same move constantly just avoid it and punish.

Effect said:

There are limitations. You can't play Guile the same way as you can in lite mode.

Picked this up today, even though I'm horrible at fighting games. This is easily the best looking 3ds game at launch. Of the ones I've seen, anyway.

jlevel13

Effect said:

Sure - any move can be done over and over again in any mode - the difference in lite mode (from what I understand, as I've only actually played pro) is that charge characters, who normally have to charge certain moves for around two seconds to get them come out (like Guile's sonic boom or flash kick), is that in lite mode you no longer have to charge those moves. You can get them to come out almost instantly with a simple button press w/o a two second charge, which fundamentally unbalances & breaks the game.

With pro controls the game retains the original balance.

I've been waiting for a match for minutes
SOMEONE GET IN HERE
I had one guy, he kicked my ass because I was trying rufus out, then switched back to my girl Ibuki and proceeded to walk up and down his face
then he quit. Now no ones online

atomsk

Party Pooper
headed over to a friends house and tried download play

it's totally broken. couldn't even get through 1 round without losing connection (sitting on the same couch!) tried a couple times and gave up

ah well

Besides online player, what else is there to do?. I mean, from my playthrough of it, all the characters have been unlocked already in arcade mode. I know there are a few more modes to play....

flipswitch said:
Besides online player, what else is there to do?. I mean, from my playthrough of it, all the characters have been unlocked already in arcade mode. I know there are a few more modes to play....
Get better at it.
Would you rather have to earn XP from using hadouken 30 times to unlock a shouryuken for 5000 credits?

mandiller

Heavy's Sandvich said:
As a general rule of thumb, if you're pressing the button and nothing is coming out, then delay it slightly. You might then see the punch come out but Dan blocks it, meaning you need to quicken the timing a little more.

Also check out youtube videos, these give an indication for the timing needed.

jlevel13 said:
It's not always about pressing the buttons fast - it's about getting the timing right - sometimes you actaully have to slow down. Just keep altering your timing and eventually you will hit it. It can be frustrating though, as often the timing is very tight and unless you're superhuman, it's difficult to tell the difference between just missing it and perfection.

Like Heavy's Sandvich says above, you can watch youtube videos to give you a hint of what you're doing wrong if you're stuck - search for Ryu (or whoever) challenge trials.

But if you're having too much trouble with a particular trial, I say just skip it - if it's too tight to do once or twice (except by luck), you're never going to get it out consistently enough to use in an actual fight, so it's kind of useless. There are plenty of other effective moves... you don't need to master them all.

Thanks for the help! Muchly appreciated. I can start to appreciate how deep the fighting system is in Street Fighter. Growing up I was always a Mortal Kombat kind of guy, so I've never had any experience with Street Fighter.

Back to the challenge trials I go.

- J - D -

flipswitch said:

Challenges.

atomsk said:
headed over to a friends house and tried download play

it's totally broken. couldn't even get through 1 round without losing connection (sitting on the same couch!) tried a couple times and gave up

ah well
Next time, see if there's a wifi router in the area, and turn it off or move it further away (especially if it's got "Wireless N"/802.11n). And try and stay away from any bluetooth devices. It's pretty easy to cause interference with anything using bluetooth frequencies (which is what 3DS uses for local multiplayer).

flipswitch said:
Beat the game with each character? They each have their own little bit of story in arcade mode.

I have one question... let's say I didn't receive the statues via SpotPass and I decide to use the codes...

Do I still need Internet access?

What I really want to know with that is: Is the content downloaded from the Internet or is it already on the cart and you just unlock it?

Kad5

Will I like this game if I didnt like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on the Wii?

The controls were too complicated for me.

Barrett2

Epic online battles over lunch. Seven matches in a row. My meager Balrog skills were being tested!

Think I'm gonna learn to play with Balrog. Learning a new character is probably the only way I'll generate long term interest in the game, keep me playing...

Chorazin

Fernando Rocker said:
I have one question... let's say I didn't receive the statues via SpotPass and I decide to use the codes...

Do I still need Internet access?

What I really want to know with that is: Is the content downloaded from the Internet or is it already on the cart and you just unlock it?

It's all on the cart, just enter in all the codes. I have all the statues from the codes released in Japan on my cart already.

lawblob said:
Epic online battles over lunch. Seven matches in a row. My meager Balrog skills were being tested!

Think I'm gonna learn to play with Balrog. Learning a new character is probably the only way I'll generate long term interest in the game, keep me playing...

Balrog's my main, here's my Pro button set up: Y = LP, X = MP, A = MP, B = HK, R = LP+MP+HP, L = Throw 2 = LK and 4 = MK

You can do the majority of your damage with P only combos, and HK is best for your jump in, low "sweep" combo. I rarely use Lk and MK, so they are fine on touch screen.

Barrett2

Chorazin said:
It's all on the cart, just enter in all the codes. I have all the statues from the codes released in Japan on my cart already.

Balrog's my main, here's my Pro button set up: Y = LP, X = MP, A = MP, B = HK, R = LP+MP+HP, L = Throw 2 = LK and 4 = MK

You can do the majority of your damage with P only combos, and HK is best for your jump in, low "sweep" combo. I rarely use Lk and MK, so they are fine on touch screen.
Cool, thanks. I really want to take some time to improve my skills. It's so tempting to just jump in, pick a character I'm familiar with, and just start grinding, but I never improve doing that. I'm sure I would get so much better in general if I would just do some actual training / combo memorizing.

Top Bottom