• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

blitz64

Just got the game, poped it in, Played arcade mode with online fight enabled.

Before I even get to try anything or change controls, I get a new online challenger.
Luckily I won 3 online matches in a row. much better feeling than the xbox live where I felt like a total newbie.

I need to buy one of those grips to make the 3ds bigger. Just playing 20 minutes and my fingers are already feeling crapped.

This game is awesome!

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I was kicking ass the past two days but started playing tonight and haven't been winning as often. Hopefully I can get back in the groove.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SSFIV 3D was not only the first game I popped in my 3DS, but also the first game I ever experienced in 3D, having not bothered to go to any of the 3DS events held by Nintendo or even check out store demos.

It's so damn impressive. Gorgeous graphics and fantastic use of 3D, as well as a metric shit ton of content. Love it.

Acerac

Banned
I've been really enjoying this game, despite the fact that I rarely use the 3D. Then I took the game online and it suddenly became even more amazing.

I am so happy I got this game. ^^

I'm really enjoying the game too. Sometimes I get my butt kicked, other times I kick some butt. It's all pretty fun though, and the graphics are really slick.

I play with the 3D off, it upsets my stomach and gives me a headache with such a fast paced game. Anyone have this problem?

Chairhome

Finally got my 3DS and started playing this! Awesome. The 3D made me a little nauseous, but I think I'll just have to get used to it. I've been playing with 3D off. That sucks that you can only enable 60fps from the menu screen, I thought you could switch between 30 and 60 on the fly by just turning the switch off. Oh well, no big deal.

I thought that I'd be using the d-pad for this, but the circle pad is in a much more comfortable position, and the d-pad just feels too small. I'm actually liking the circle pad, though I'm missing some inputs every once in a while... I think I'll just have to get used to it, too (I remember only being able to do a shoryuken when facing right on SNES, haha. Had to train my thumbs!). Playing Pro mode, my old "YLXBRA" config from SNES days, screen controls are 1: 3P, 2: Focus, 3: 3K, 4: Throw. I tried mapping light punch/kick to the touch screen but it just feels awkward unless I play with my hand on top.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Got my copy two days ago, but I haven't had much time to play (except a few matches online where I got my ass kicked for good... God, I'm rusty). Looking forward for some interesting matches with GAF.

Has anyone run into any Guile spammers?
The lite controls seem to make it really easy to just spam certain things, which is fine, but the moment I went to switch characters the player left.

evangd007

Arcade mode in this game has been weird. In SF4, I'd lose continually to Seth, but here, I get stuck on people like E. Honda, but one-shot Seth.

I'm trying to beat most of Ryu's Challenges right now before I go too heavily into online play. What's the timing window on the inputs? Before the previous strike hits, as it hits, or slightly after it hits?

I'm still just amazed at how good this game plays. Everytime time after a fight where it shows you your grades, I just stay there and like to look at the characters, because how awesome 3D is in this game. The graphics are really good in 2d, but I like the way 3D makes it look, even though I lose the sweet spot quite often when hitting buttons.

Micius

brettchalupa said:
The lite controls seem to make it really easy to just spam certain things, which is fine, but the moment I went to switch characters the player left.

Sadly they are a staple online at the moment, I've run into several over the last few days and I just can't win against them with pro controls. I lost 10+ games today on Juri against one of them trying to practice and see if I can get better at dealing with them but the best I did was getting them down to 5-10% health. Oh, and there's some input lag as well which was annoying as hell for the Sonic Boom jumping.

I did run into one non-lite Guile as well today, who apparently decided go by the name "skill". He played quite well and I got a sound beating which didn't involve Sonic Boom and Flash Kick spam.

kunonabi

anybody with good connections want to add me for some matches? Last couple of days have been lagtastic for me. My code is in the chart

My 3DS name Dr. Butcher 3D minus the 3D

Micius

Lyte Edge said:
Why don't you guys just set it to filter out the lite users?

I didn't like the wait time with the control filter so far. Just read in this thread that hosting a game may speed up the process though, going to try that later.

Micius said:
I didn't like the wait time with the control filter so far. Just read in this thread that hosting a game may speed up the process though, going to try that later.

yeah when I host I wait 30seconds max!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
brettchalupa said:

I've lost a couple rounds to Flash Kick spammers but they're generally pretty easy to bait and counter. As a SF4/SSF4 Guile devotee, I mostly find it funny. The spammers don't stand much chance against someone who knows the ins and outs of his normals and how to follow up SBs correctly. I use the touchscreen shortcuts for his Super, because there's just no fucking way I'm pulling that off reliably on the 3DS d-pad. But playing Guile relies heavily on using all three Sonic Boom speeds for different reasons, so spamming just one of them on shortcut is pointless against someone who knows the game.

Teknoman said:
I've run across Vega and Ibuki spammers. I'm not one to rage over a loss...but damn.

Vega can spam? A lot of his stuff is punishable. LIkewise with Ibuki. The hard ones are Guile since he recovers from Sonic Boom so fast and Blanka since some chars don't have hard counters to Blanka Balls. Likewise Hondas.. just due to the dmg he outputs. (This is in regards to Lite controls)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Micius said:

It was like this for me when I had vanilla SF4 on PS3 (not a problem with 360 though) too. I don't think I've had to wait longer than 10 seconds, and that's at any time of the day I've played the game.

As much as I'd like to have some fun destroying lite spammers, it just doesn't feel worth it. :p

Teknoman

TurtleSnatcher said:
Vega can spam? A lot of his stuff is punishable. LIkewise with Ibuki. The hard ones are Guile since he recovers from Sonic Boom so fast and Blanka since some chars don't have hard counters to Blanka Balls. Likewise Hondas.. just due to the dmg he outputs. (This is in regards to Lite controls)

Well yeah Vega was easy, but when I was using Cody against Ibuki, one mistake, and I couldnt get back up.

By spamming, I mean doing moves that would be impossible to repeat so fast.

Sanic

Picked this up today. If anyone's up for a match or two against a very poor/casual player, add me: 2492-4113-4719

I have no experience with SSFIV prior to this, just some playtime with the variations of SFII in arcades, so i'm definitely still in the button mashing stage here.

Is there voice chat during the fights?
Also, I'm miimanxAOL on SF. If you see me, email miimanx@aol for FC's and crap.
Or do it here, I'm in NC, USA

I haven't noticed anything on this in the thread, but does anyone know if this game has some sort of 'theatre mode'. Usually I'll use who I have the ending videos for to track which characters I still need to beat the game with.

Ninja Dom

Help me out, guys!

Why do I get so angry when I lose? I feel like punching myself when I'm winning and then end up losing the match.

I never really played the Street Fighter 4 games. I played Alpha/Zero 3 HEAVILY! So I understand that I'm not expecting to be great.

BUT...I...CAN'T...STAND...LOSING!!!

In the name of fairness I won't rage-quit so don't worry there.

Micius

slopeslider said:
Is there voice chat during the fights?
Also, I'm miimanxAOL on SF. If you see me, email miimanx@aol for FC's and crap.
Or do it here, I'm in NC, USA

No voice chat. Sometimes I kind of miss it since it'd be nice to banter a bit when you find someone who's around the same skill level as you and you rematch for a while switching characters. I suspect if it was actually implemented there's be mostly trashtalking not to mention adverse effects on latency.

K.Sabot

Ninja Dom said:
Help me out, guys!

Why do I get so angry when I lose? I feel like punching myself when I'm winning and then end up losing the match.

I never really played the Street Fighter 4 games. I played Alpha/Zero 3 HEAVILY! So I understand that I'm not expecting to be great.

Learn to block like a boss. Find a character you feel good with.

Combine the 2.

???

Profit.

Micius

Lemmy Caution said:
I haven't noticed anything on this in the thread, but does anyone know if this game has some sort of 'theatre mode'. Usually I'll use who I have the ending videos for to track which characters I still need to beat the game with.

There is no theater mode but if you want to keep track of arcade clears you can look at the blue colored character titles. Those unlock whenever you finish arcade mode with specific characters.

Edit: The ones I unlocked were on page 37/38 in the titles menu.

Teknoman

Ninja Dom said:
Help me out, guys!

Comes with fighting game territory. Especially 2D based fighters (faster paced). 3D fighters like Tekken, VF, DOA, SC, etc. are slower paced, so imo you arent punished as easy.

taku

Finally got my copy.. This game really feels like the console version, same timing and everything. Played some arcade, rolled a few figures with the slot machine, played an online battle and won (despite terrible lag). I'm especially interested in figure battles!

Fun times! I have a feeling this is going to make my other games jealous for a while..

Add me if you're up for some matches later! I'm in Europe (GMT +1), mind you!
FC: 2878-9575-9415

Effect

Do Street Fighter games typically not have a block button?

I noticed the Lite controls have an option to always turn that on per character. I'm trying not to use those controls when I can help it but a block button would do wonders for me. Having block always one seems like cheating a bit.

Rich!

Effect said:

I noticed the Lite controls have an option to always turn that on per character. I'm trying not to use those controls when I can help it but a block button would do wonders for me. Having block always one seems like cheating a bit.

Press down...I think?

Effect said:

Hold back? It is so easy to block in SF :p

Just keep holding back :D

Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble finding the official statement about the game running at only 30fps in 3D. I can only find links to the rumors. A friend of mine doesn't believe it and wants a link rather than the rumors.

Cow Mengde said:
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble finding the official statement about the game running at only 30fps in 3D. I can only find links to the rumors. A friend of mine doesn't believe it and wants a link rather than the rumors.
It does. Someone else can find links, but It does.
Also, I've noticed in 3d mode, while framerate drops to 30, if you then turn 3d off you get some AA going. If you set it to 2d mode in options you get NO AA, but 60fps. So I actually set it to 3d and turn the slider down to get it looking better while I'm practicing, since 60fps won't help me in that instance.

Poyunch

So I'm a Juri user. I think I'm pretty good with her but I want an alternate character. I love quick characters and I've tried Ibuki and Sakura. Adon also seems like another character I'd be interested in but I suck at the inputs for Ibuki and I don't remember enjoying Sakura.

What should I do?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Anarchistry said:
I'm having SO much trouble with Ryu's trial number 7. Could someone kindly help me?!

Is that the crouching MP + crouching MP + crouching HK trial, by any chance?
My advice is to not button mash. The timing is very specific, and while you might actually be able to link the 2 crouching MPs by button mashing, the crouching HK will be tough to follow with.

Break it up. Practice the pair of crouching MPs until you can nail them every time. Then start experimenting with throwing the sweep at the end. Timing that was actually easier, IMHO.

Celine

Is there some Honda users here that can help me out ?
I can't perform the combo jump HP+ MK+ head ramming ( or whatever it is called ).
I mean I can do the three actions but the last part ( the special move ) is always too slow to connect .
I don't understand , even if I start charge mid-air I can't perform the head rammming fast enough.
Am I missing something ?

brettchalupa said:
Two actually and one with shitty lag too ...
Thanks god I encountered a good Ryu and what looked like a good Fei Long ( too bad connection went down ).

Lyte Edge said:
Why don't you guys just set it to filter out the lite users?
lite users aren't the problem.
Spammers using the lite commands are.
In my case I can't perform an Ultra so mapped it to a touch button.

Cow Mengde said:
Play the game, it's very obvious the contrast between 2D mode and 3D mode ( also the horror of 2D mode aliasing ).

Anarchistry

Mejilan said:
Is that the crouching MP + crouching MP + crouching HK trial, by any chance?
My advice is to not button mash. The timing is very specific, and while you might actually be able to link the 2 crouching MPs by button mashing, the crouching HK will be tough to follow with.

Break it up. Practice the pair of crouching MPs until you can nail them every time. Then start experimenting with throwing the sweep at the end. Timing that was actually easier, IMHO.
It just seems like when I hit the dummy with the MP he pushes backwards, making him impossible to hit a second time. Very frustrating.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My first rage quitter!

A Balrog that literally just did a fierce dash punch over and over and over and over.

I used Dan and almost got a perfect on him. He pulled out at the last moment in the 2nd round.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Anarchistry said:
It just seems like when I hit the dummy with the MP he pushes backwards, making him impossible to hit a second time. Very frustrating.

You gotta be close enough to smell his...
Well, anyway, pin him against a corner before you start.
I will say this, if you're not getting at least a 2 hit combo before attempting the sweep, then your timing is off.

Downhome

I'm playing it again right now, and I must say, the over-the-shoulder view is pretty amazing in terms of the 3D, and it's quite playable in that mode as well. I am very, very impressed with the 3D visuals in this game, especially in that mode.

Anarchistry

Mejilan said:
You gotta be close enough to smell his...
Well, anyway, pin him against a corner before you start.
I will say this, if you're not getting at least a 2 hit combo before attempting the sweep, then your timing is off.
Hm. I guess I need to work on that a bit.

I am loving this game.

I have been whooping butt with Akuma. I do use lite but only for Shoryukens so I dont feel too bad about it. If you cant beat em join em eh?

One thing that bugs me though is that it seems like when people DC on me I loose Player Points. Or if I rematch after I win and they ragequit I lose all the points I won.

Scarecrow

Got a quick question: Why do BPs go to zero with each new character I try online?
And another one: I remember when SF4 first came out and everyone was complaining about Ken users. Why him specifically instead of, say, Ryu?

Been playing online and have been having fun, despite me only winning like 2/5 games. Someone was clowning me pretty handily with Sakura earlier. Couldn't get a word in edge wise.

スーパーストリートファイターⅣ
エル・フォルテ
mhikghwbsf

Platinum El Fuerte code

Scarecrow said:
Got a quick question: Why do BPs go to zero with each new character I try online?
And another one: I remember when SF4 first came out and everyone was complaining about Ken users. Why him specifically instead of, say, Ryu?

Been playing online and have been having fun, despite me only winning like 2/5 games. Someone was clowning me pretty handily with Sakura earlier. Couldn't get a word in edge wise.

You have a separate point total for every character. If you switch back to your old character it will have your old total back.

Top Bottom